Chapter four

I love you (more)

 

Turned out that Sungjong was right. Myungsoo took an appointment with a marriage counselor working not too far from their house and forced Jonah to go with him. At first, she categorically refused because she didn't want to miss work just for something 'this stupid' she said. But Myungsoo started shouting at her, a bit more than he had originally planned, but it left her speechless. So, in the end, he had managed to convince her.

 

Kim Sunggyu was known to be a young yet good marriage counselor. According to the critics Myungsoo had read on the Internet, he could totally trust the man and could let him take care of his love life. When they entered his office for the very first time, he was very anxious and scared, contrary to his wife who seemed pissed off just by the idea of wasting her time speaking with an unknown man, 'he's just a charlatan' she had said. The young man with small eyes and a big smile politely greeted them and let them sat on the comfortable black armchairs. The counselor sat on his chair, the big wooden desk separating them.

 

“So,” the counselor looked at the sheet of paper with the only information Myungsoo had given him over the phone, “you must be Kim Myungsoo, I guess.”

“I am.”

“And you must be his wife, Kim Jonah.”

 

She didn't answer and nodded. With her poker face and her arms folded over her chest, it was clear that she wasn't going to be nice and polite.

 

“Alright, so first of all I'm going to ask you a few questions to know you a bit better and to understand what are the reasons why you decided to come and see me, and during the next sessions we'll talk about subjects you'll want and together we'll try to find solutions. Do you agree with that?” Myungsoo nodded and bit his lower lips, his heart racing into his chest, while Jonah kept looking straight at the counselor without even blinking. Yet, it didn't seem to bother him at all. “So, I'm going to start with you, Mr. Kim. Tell me a bit more about yourself, and yourself only.”

“I'm... My name is Kim Myungsoo, I'm 24,” he cleared his throat, feeling really uneasy, “I work in my father's company as a HR director.”

“Interesting,” Kim Sunggyu scribbled a few things on a paper.

“Hum... I'm really close to my parents.”

“Are they divorced?”

“No.”

“Any brothers or sisters?”

“I have, one younger brother. He is eighteen and he is a senior in high school.”

“Alright, what else?” Kim Sunggyu looked up at him.

“I don't really know, that's all I can say.”

“What are your hobbies for example?”

“I like running with my best friend and... I don't really know, I like reading and spending some times with my son.”

 

Jonah scoffed so he send her a deadly glare, yet none of them said a word. The counselor closely watched their interactions, wrote a few things, and then concentrated on Myungsoo once again.

 

“So you have a son?”

“Yes,” Myungsoo's smile grew wider, “Jisoo. He's four.”

“Cute,” Kim Sunggyu smiled too, “anything else?”

“No... not really.”

“Alright, Mrs. Kim, I'm listening to you.”

“My name is Kim Jonah, I'm 23 years old.”

“You've got a really nice name. May I ask for your origins?”

“My father is Japanese.”

“Oh really?” Kim Sunggyu nodded, “well, that's surprising. Does he live in Korea?”

“No, in Japan. My mother is Korean and lives in Seoul. They're divorced though.”

“Have you ever lived in Japan?”

“Yes, for more than ten years. I was born in Korea but my parents moved to Japan when I was two. I came back with my mother when they divorced when I was fifteen.”

“And do you have any brothers and sisters?”

“An older brother.”

“What's his name?”

“Howon. He's 25 and lives in Japan with my father.”

“Have you chosen to stay with your mother and your brother to stay with your father or have you been forced to?”

“We've chosen.”

“Oh... alright,” he raised a brow and kept nodding, “are you close to your parents and brothers even though you're separated?” She nodded, “That's a good thing. Now, do you have any hobbies?”

“No, I don't.”

“Really?”

“Hum,” she nodded, “I spend must of my time at work and during my spare hours I take care of my son.”

“So you're Jisoo's mother.”

“Yeah, duh,” she tsked.

 

Myungsoo elbowed her, asking her to stay polite. She didn't even look at him.

 

“You're both really young,” the counselor put his elbowed against his desk and put his head on top of his head, “when did you get married?”

“Four years ago,” Myungsoo answered.

“W-what? Really?” for a short second, Kim Sunggyu's personal thoughts spilled out, “but how old were you?”

“I was nineteen and Jo was eighteen.”

“And your son is four, right? So you had him when you were twenty and nineteen. Well... that's... that's really surprising, indeed.” He wrote down a few things and looked at Jonah. “How was it, to become a mother at such a young age?”

“Do you want the truth?” she titled her head.

“You are here to tell me the truth and the truth only.”

“It was a disaster.”

 

Myungsoo sighed and shook his head.

 

“I'd like to by lying, you know?” she said, “I'd like to tell you that it was the best period of my life and that I was really happy about becoming a mother but... I was nineteen. I was fresh out of school, I wasn't even going at the university, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and suddenly I was pregnant! I was only nineteen! I wasn't even an adult in my head.”

“And you, Mr. Kim, how was it to become a father at twenty?”

“I was the happiest man on Earth. I was young, indeed, but I really wanted it and today I'm completely at ease with being a young father.”

“So your thoughts on this subject are totally contradictory. Alright, I understand. And why did you chose to get married at only eighteen, Jonah? Did he propose to you?”

“He did. At that time, we had already been dating for a year and when he left high school for the university, he promised me that we would get married at soon as I was graduating.”

“And you agreed?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Well, I was eighteen and I was in love, you know,” she shrugged, “love makes people stupid.”

“Do you regret it?” Kim Sunggyu raised a brow.

 

She frowned and shifted on her seat. Sunggyu didn't ask for more because he had already understood the answer.

 

“Myungsoo,” Sunggyu caught the young man's attention to prevent him from jumping on his wife to strangle her, “why did you ask her to marry you?”

“Because I was in love. I'm still in love,” he insisted on the 'still', “for me it was obvious to marry the girl I was in love with.”

“Do you love her?” Kim Sunggyu smiled.

“I do.”

“Jonah, do you love him?”

“I do.”

“Well, at least there's a point on which you both agreed!” the counselor chuckled but well, it didn't make his clients laughed at all, “then if you love each other, why are you here?”

“We don't talk anymore,” Myungsoo sighed, “we can't talk, we don't do anything together, we don't see each other, we don't go out on dates anymore... we're like strangers sharing a house.”

“Jonah,” Kim Sunggyu looked at her, “do you agree with him?”

 

She looked at Myungsoo who was also starring at her and she knew only by looking at him that she didn't have the right to answer 'no', otherwise he was going to be mad. She knew him too well.

 

“Yes,” she nodded, “I agreed.”

“So you're both conscious you're not doing what couples do anymore, am I right?” the couple nodded, “then why didn't you try to solve this matter by yourself?”

 


Hey ! Thank you for subscribing to this story and for upvoting it ! it really means a lot to me !

Thank you very much !

Just a kind of warning, but starting from this chapter, there will be a lot of dialogues so I hope you don't mind, if you ever do, let a comment to tell me your opinion and let a comment to tell me what you thought about this chapter and story

Subscribe and upvote if you want only 

Thx

xx

Mae