6.1

The Last Fight | kaisoo

 

January 14, 2017

;

"I could help you move on."

Sehun's words almost made Kyungsoo choke. Where did that come from?

"Excuse me?" Kyungsoo asked in disbelief earning a hearty laugh from Sehun.

What the actual hell!? Kyungsoo told himself and flicked his tongue. He didn't sign up for any jokes especially like this. Sehun gave Kyungsoo a quick glance before returning his eyes on the road.

"Nah, I'm just joking." Sehun replied, still finding Kyungsoo funny. "I'm just trying to lighten up the mood. You're always taking things seriously."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, trying to find a way to regain back his shock. "Don't joke things like that again." He replied, acting all shocked. Sehun raised an eyebrow. Kyungsoo turned to his left with a sly grin. He just joined the joke game. "I might believe." He whispered; audible enough for Sehun to hear.

All of a sudden, Sehun felt that he's getting a lump inside his throat and---

"!"

"AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHA!"

Sehun hastily stepped on the breaks and the car bumper was at the half of the pedestrian lane. He could pay for violating traffic rules! Kyungsoo couldn't stop laughing and Sehun was still in awe.

"DON'T JOKE THINGS LIKE THAT AGAIN!" Sehun shouted, he suddenly got nervous.

"Relax," Kyungsoo says casually. "It was just a joke. You're always taking things seriously." He mocked him using sehun's very same words.

Sehun kept his mouth shut as he waited for the lights to turn green. Kyungsoo was good at mocking too. Sehun inwardly scoffed, we're really breaking the 4th wall. He couldn't mentally digest what had happened.

But all he knew was how cute Kyungsoo is when he laughs.

How cliché.

--

"Is this it?" Kyungsoo asked Sehun while tugging off his seatbelt. Sehun nodded as he got off the car. They arrived in front of a big Victorian house in a grand villa near Insadong. Beside the house, a playground stood and a huge oak tree beside the window.

Kyungsoo immediately raised an eyebrow when he saw how close the tree with the house, just beside a window and you can jump from the attic to cling onto the tree. What if the culprit escaped through that?

Sehun called Kyungsoo out and both proceeded at the main gate. The house was huge from the outside that got Kyungsoo shaking his head. Sehun rang the doorbell and they were immediately greeted by a female voice. "Ne!" They both heard and came opening was the gate.

Kyungsoo smiled at the woman compared to Sehun who was dead serious.

"Ah! You're Police Officer Oh!" The maid bowed her head then turned to Kyungsoo. "You are--?"

"Kim's laywer, I'm Do Kyungsoo."

The maid's voice suddenly cracked up, "Ah."

Kyungsoo noticed her sudden shift of mood and began clearing his throat. He elbowed Sehun. "Can we check the house for further investigations?"

The maid remained silent.

"Can we please come in?" Kyungsoo asked politely. The maid bit her lower lip and looked unsure of what she'll say.

"Solar! Who's at the gate?"

The three turned their heads to the right and found a woman dressed in white. She was petite and she looked weary. Kyungsoo hastily recognized the woman. The maid named Solar, bowed at the woman who was approaching us. Im Yoona, Kyungsoo thought and elbowed Sehun once more.

Solar stepped aside and let Yoona continue the conversation. Yoona recognized Officer Oh but not Kyungsoo.

"Why are you all here?" Yoona asked, her voice was firm and suspicious. Kyungsoo fixed his shirt and Sehun grinned at Yoona. "Can we have a few rounds at the house—"

He was immediately cut off by the woman, "Your Colleagues already made rounds. What more do you want?" Then her gaze fell on Kyungsoo. "Are you the new Lawyer?"

Kyungsoo nodded and attempted to introduce himself but he was blocked by Yoona.

"What lies did she tell you that you both come to the point where you'll visit our house?"

She's hard. Kyungsoo thought. She must've loathed her so much.

Kyungsoo's curiousness became out of bounds about the case, about everything. He wanted to put back the exact puzzle pieces to portray the right portrait. He was sometimes actually thinking of quitting but mysteries like this are just making his blood boil in mere excitement.

Sehun noticed that Yoona was clenching her jaws.

"Ms. Im, I know you have grudges from our side but let us just help each other out okay? This is Justice that we're talking about. We're not talking about winning here." Sehun told her seriously that got her off guard. Yoona sighed and tilted her head.

"J-Just, don't enter my bedroom. It's stacked with Uncle's stuff."

 

--

 

When they entered the house, Kyungsoo was held in awe. The inside was newly refurbished and the interior design was intimidating. The furniture matched well with the walls and there were antiques and books on the shelves.

Kyungsoo was even amazed of the Lava lamp by the Tv.

But there was one thing that Kyungsoo's not quite in awe with, the ambiance.

It was gloomy.

Ghastly.

Empty.

Kyungsoo remembered the files that he reviewed about Sir Lee. He was a former teacher at Soo Jung's school and now, a businessman. Many envied him due his Excellency in the field of business but they were just minor suspects. The man had two sons, Jiseok and Taemin and adopted Yoona. He was once married but soon got to a divorce.

But he was rumored to be in a relationship.

But who?

Yoona escorted them towards Sir Lee's room. Sehun followed her and tried recalling their past evidences and the police photographs while Kyungsoo was behind them, observing the staircase and the way towards Sir Lee's room.

Soo Jung said that she's been in a set-up. Kyungsoo thought as he tried to scale the way. He cleared his throat, "Did the furniture got moved or---is this still the same arrangements?"

Yoona clutched her fingers together, "Nothing has been changed."

"Then why are you here? I thought that you're at your own condominium in Seoul with Jiseok?"

"I came back to check on Uncle. I came back to arrange the papers, to finish this trial."

When Kyungsoo saw the determination from her eyes, "Can you tell me more about the case? Soo Jung said that you told her to go back to here while your car is being towed. You told Soo Jung to get the keys of your other car which happened to be in Sir Lee's office?"

Yoona just nodded.

"She told us that Sir Lee, when she opened and knocked wasn't facing her. That she was knocked down inside his room."

"That killed my uncle, no more nothing less. This matter is to be discussed by my lawyer." Yoona grits her teeth. "Observe his office; I'll give you a few minutes."

Yoona passed through an aisle to get to her room; she shut the door which got Sehun to palm his face. Kyungsoo eyed Sehun, "Is she always like that?"

"She used to be a cheerful one." Sehun mumbled and guided Kyungsoo to Sir Lee's room.

"75 degrees..." Kyungsoo muttered to himself. The pictures of Sir Lee's dead body, all scratched up on the floor flashed on his mind then came Soo Jung's statements.

"Knocked down..."

"Are we done now?" Sehun asks. "I've observed this scene with Tao. I've got some answers that you wanted."

Kyungsoo nodded and held his final glance at Sir Lee's room. It was indeed an office instead of a room. It was painted black and white and it looked gloomy inside.

Kyungsoo grabbed Sehun's wrist and ordered him to leave the house immediately for he must compile answers but then Yoona came dashing down and calling Kyungsoo's name.

"I just want to know..." Yoona paused and crossed her arms, "H-How's Soo Jung?"

Kyungsoo stared at her eyes, "Nothing changed much." He breathes out. "Can I ask something?"

I needed to clarify something. Kyungsoo said to himself. He was getting a sneaky feeling and it was itching inside his throat.

"You loathe her. Have you listened to her explanations?"

Yoona looked to the right before smirking, "It's useless to listen to a traitor. Why would I listen to someone's statement when it's pointless? There are no witnesses, she's the suspect and I saw it with my own two eyes. Go and ask Lee Jiseok."

"But you are the one who told her to get the keys; don't you think you, yourself a suspect yourself?"

Sehun hastily elbowed Kyungsoo and Yoona's mouth went agape. She mumbled something incoherent then began ranting, "How dare you accuse me! I was at Jiseok's school!"

"I am not accusing you, I am just stating possibilities." Kyungsoo was dread serious. "Plus not all murders are made at the exact time; it could be made in the past."

"What are you really trying to prove!?" Yoona now shouts. Kyungsoo irks her and she hated it. Thinking of her dead uncle was frustrating her and now this newbie's saying these rude words to her? What does he want to even prove? "A-Are you threatening me!? I am the Sir Lee's---"

"Murders can be done by any blood related person."

"Kyungsoo." Sehun warned, he wasn't liking the argument. 

"I am not accusing you Ms. Im. I'm just---" Kyungsoo hesitates, "Weighing things."

"That's just so impolite Attorney. Even though we're of opposite sides, we should respect each other."

Kyungsoo bit his tongue.

"Let's just see each other at the court. The one responsible pays." Yoona's expression softened a bit. "I need both of you to go."

Sehun grabbed Kyungsoo's arm, whispering a quick, "Let's go."

--

"What did you just ask back there!?" Sehun's raised his tone like he's scolding his child. "We are not in the right position to be that inquisitive especially when it's at the other side!" 

"I need to know the story! Who knows one of them is lying!? Justices aren't always served you know? There are retracting witnesses! Money could be paid here!"

"Kyungsoo, you need to chill out." Sehun warns. Kyungsoo sighed. The case wasn't just giving him stress but eagerness to solve it. Now that he's met Yoona, he's curious of how things will go or how things are going at the other side.

"Oh don't give me that face." Sehun scoffs. He scratched his nape and let his feet weigh matters. 

"I'm suspicious of Yoona though." Kyungsoo finally gave up. He doesn't know where the thought came from but it was already forming inside his head.

"Why? You're suspicious of anyone." Sehun said as a matter of fact. "Besides she's a family member, no wonder she's hurt."

Kyungsoo gave Sehun a bland stare. The younger gulped and made a small peace sign. Kyungsoo was still spaced out. He boarded the car and made himself comfortable on the passenger's seat. Sehun shrugged and mounted the car too, only to be distracted by a certain caller, Tao.

"I can't take you to the Gucci sale Zitao." Sehun told the caller. Tao huffed from the other line and both bickered over the phone.

Kyungsoo faced the car window asked Sehun to lower it down. He was calculating everything that he saw and everything Yoona said.

Was it possible?

But why?

"Aish! Alright alright you rascal! I owe you an ice cream!" Sehun shouted at Zitao. "Fine, thanks." Sehun heaved a sigh and scratched his nape. Aigh, coping with that childish guy. Sehun thought. Sometimes he's blessed having Tao by his side but sometimes, he would annoy him to death. Zitao was good at cases but can't stand looking at murdered bodies. His colleague hated horror so much. He even remembered when they entered a horror house when he was in College with Tao and all he did was laugh at him.

He turned to Kyungsoo who looked like he's thinking something deep and was even counting with his fingers.

"Hey," Sehun called out. "Back-to-earth doe eyes."

Kyungsoo did return back to earth but with laser in his eyes, pointing at Sehun, ready to shred Sehun to pieces for ruining his thoughts.

Sehun just rolled his eyes, "If you're planning to eat me, reserve that for later," He told him casually. He arrowed his phone to Kyungsoo, "I think I've found the new lead."

Kyungsoo grabbed Sehun's phone and stared at the file that Zitao sent.

"S-She---"

"It turned out to be Lee---Kim Hi Yeon---Jung."

Kyungsoo's eyebrows knitted. "What?"

Sehun grinned, "Don't you get the logic? Hi Yeon is Jung's wife and possibly Lee's ex-girlfriend."

There was something that snapped inside Kyungsoo, "The bracelet!"

Sehun started the engines and both hit the road. "Bracelet?"

"Maybe that's why Hi Yeon tried to please Krystal 5 years ago, to get her approval of her father."

Sehun Tsk-ed. "If that's the case, we need to know more about Hi Yeon or maybe meet her? She won't be hiding if ever she's the culprit." He made a hard right and got impatient when a few violators switched lanes like an idiot. 

"I wonder how's Jongin..." Kyungsoo mumbled to himself unconsciously when he realized today's date, "Today's his birthday."

Kyungsoo felt that he froze at his seat.

Oh right.

It was Jongin's birthday.

Kyungsoo silently wonders where Jongin might be. Is he celebrating his birthday with his wife? Is he alone? Is he...okay?

Kyungsoo hit himself. Stop thinking about him. Let's focus on the case. He also felt that his arm are getting a bit wet. raining?

"Yeah, today's the 14th."  Sehun replied, his voice trailing off and slightly raising the window automatically. "You think he's with Krystal?"

"Where else would he be?" Kyungsoo quickly replied with a slight bitterness in his tone that Sehun could detect. He couldn't protest at Kyungsoo's thoughts but he also pitied the boy. It's been four years and he still couldn't remove the grudge inside him. He was also amazed by how tough Kyungsoo's character was. If he was in the same position, he might've said no and let them have their own way since he doesn't want to have involvements. 

Sehun chose not to reply and had his eyes on the road. He noticed the few drops on his windshield.

Weather's bad. He thought.

He stopped at the stop lights and observed different people crossing by the streets. Colorful umbrellas but---

One particular person caught his sight.

That person was soaked under the drizzle and he looked confused, no rather sad.

He shot Kyungsoo a glance but the latter wasn't paying any attention. The traffic lights were still Red and that person isn't walking that fast. Sehun knew all about timing and when that person was in front of Sehun's car, Sehun immediately lowered his window and shouted a name that echoed through Kyungsoo's ears.

"KIM JONGIN!"

Where? Kyungsoo unconsciously thought. He scanned through the crowd and noticed that the drizzle was getting heavier and a guy---

"HOP ON!" He heard Sehun's scream.

Jongin squinted his eyes and found Sehun waving at him and beside the Officer was Kyungsoo.

"YAH NINI JUST HOP ON!" 

"What the !?" Jongin mumbled under his breath and began running towards Sehun's car. The lights went green and honks were heard behind them. "Faster!" Sehun screeched at the engineer and Jongin hastily opened the car door and hopped on.

Kyungsoo felt stoned on his place.

Why the hell am I nervous!? We meet every time!

"Where have you been Kim?" Sehun asked and laughed at Jongin's current face. "Where you always slump you ." 

"Don't you have an umbrella? You walk under the rain like a high school student." Sehun joked. Jongin leaned closer towards the driver and gave him a punch on the shoulder. "Thanks for the Ride Hunnie."

"The hell!? No one called me that since we graduated!" Sehun hissed and tapped Jongin back. Jongin laughed and combed his slightly wet hair. "Surprise surprise."

"So where are you headed to now?" Asked Kyungsoo, wanting to not be a bother. Jongin gave up a small smile. "Home."

Sehun felt a sudden tension between the two so he tried to break them. He glanced at his watch, it was 3:30 in the afternoon. It was still a long day and maybe he could somewhat help? "No one's going home yet. Let's celebrate your birthday nini---" Sehun said but got glared by Kyungsoo. "----and talk about new information of course. Right attorney?"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He turned to Jongin, deciding to talk more to his client. Be Casual.  "Chicken would be nice right?"

Jongin was slightly taken aback by the fact that Kyungsoo still know what he loved the most. With a genuine smile, "Of course Chicken!" He squealed like a baby. "With beer of course!"

Kyungsoo inwardly beamed. He's quite happy that Jongin's eyes are turning into crescents than earlier. Sehun was right, Jongin was acting like a high schooler.  "Alright beer," Kyungsoo slightly frowned at the idea of alcohol. "Let's head to a good place Sehun."

Sehun slightly flinched. "Sehun." He repeated his name and the corner of his lips curved into a small smile. It's the first time he's calm and calling my name. 

---