04:

The Last Fight | kaisoo

notice that i am not much of the legal genre, suspense thingy so if i might skip a step or what, i might've done it my way or just missed it. feel free to comment. 

-

When Kyungsoo got down from the bus stop after the call that Police Officer Oh and Huang made, he went to Police OfficerOh's office to gather up some files. He'll just stop by the court maybe tomorrow to clear his head out.

Kyungsoo was immediately greeted by his friend, Huang Zi Tao who happened to be his classmate for seven years. Tao wrapped an arm around his shoulder when they both got inside the investigation room.

"So who's your client tonight?" Tao asked, finally releasing his instinctive wrap.

"Krystal Jung, I need files."

"Krystal Jung? Jongin's wife?"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Geez, do you have to emphasize?  "Yeah, I needed Affidavit, CCRE and everything."

Tao just simply nodded before proceeding to a cabinet full of files and folders, stacked neatly. He pulled out a clean white folder with the surname, Jung on it.

Jung Soo Jung

It was listed there, Krystal's full name, age, address, height, weight and such. Her driver's license, birth certificate, police clearance and criminal records.

(1)

Murder.

It read.

Kyungsoo grabbed a chair and read some of the details regarding the crime scene.

He was mostly shocked because it was not Homicide. 75 degrees and two bullets aiming for his head and only one for his heart. The position looked like Sir Lee fell out from the chair not knowing any bullets at all. It was clearly stated as not an accused murder since Soo Jung was present there with her fingerprints exactly on the gun.

There was a picture of a kid named Lee Jiseok. He had brown locks and a flush hair. He was a bit tall for a 7 year old and he used to play soccer with YoonA and Taemin.

Witnesses: Im YoonA and Lee Jiseok.

According to the scans made to Soo Jung, there are no fatalities or wounds that point that she was being set up, making the crime scene really perfect and evident.

Kyungsoo looked down, "Soo Jung said that she was knocked down unconscious with the gun on her palms."

Tao just stifled a low grunt, "Even a liar can know not to lie. She's crazy. There are no suspects rather than her. Plus she loathed the man."

"I am not certain at all because what if she's saying something that's true? Organized crimes, murderers nowadays are not easy to solve. It's so neat. I need a list of Sir Lee's contacts and also Soo Jung's." Kyungsoo announced. He was doubting Krystal's story too but as a good lawyer, he needed to find other facts, evidences.

What if Sir Lee had other enemies and Soo Jung was made to cover? What if Soo Jung had enemies and that was the perfect revenge?

But

What if Soo Jung really did that? What's her point?

Tao gave him another set of papers. He needed a direct examination of the witnesses, the findings must be raw and clear.

"Where is Police OfficerOh?" Kyungsoo asked.

Tao scoffed, "Nah, he said to me earlier that he needed a break. His friend set him up for a blind date."

Kyungsoo suddenly stiffened, why does he feel that the guy that Baekhyun wanted Kyungsoo to meet based from his letter was Police OfficerOh? Kyungsoo just shrugged his thoughts, Job first. Plus! It wasn't even his fault if that guy waited for him or what. 

"Didn't Jongin have kids?" Tao suddenly asked.

Kyungsoo stopped reading when he heard Tao's question. His heart began beating rapidly. "O-Of course." Kyungsoo tried his voice to be stable, focus on the papers. "His name was Asher. They had Asher at their second year of Marriage."

"How did you know?" Tao asked; his arms folded against his chest, chewing a bubble gum.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was walking back and forth, he didn't know what to do. His aunt had a heart attack again and he doesn't know what to do anymore. If he loses his aunt then he'll lose everyone.

Kyungsoo tried to stay positive, his mind flying. He just stared at the big doors of the emergency room, trying to calm himself, trying to find comfort. No one could be here for him, Baekhyun was at Busan and Minseok was ay China with his boyfriend Jongdae They all sent consoles for Kyungsoo but physical console was better.

If his aunt dies then Kyungsoo's left an orphan. His tragic life kicking again since he and his deceased sibling were just from the orphanage. It's absolutely amazing how Kyungsoo's still holding on. That's the reason why he wanted to be successful so bad, to show the world that he can stand for himself. But sometimes, he also needed a family.

If Jongin could only be there then atleast he might've been contented. Kyungsoo might have someone to lean on. Someone that can lend their shoulder for kyungsoo to cry on.

He even lost his last family.

The doctors are taking too much time in the emergency room that Kyungsoo decided to go to the bathroom to wash his swollen face. When all of a sudden came barging another man inside. The man hastily opened the faucet and washed his face too, splashing water over that delicate tan skin, eyes swollen and nose runny.

Kyungsoo was shocked at the man's identity. It was no one to expect. 

The man heaved a sigh before exiting the bathroom, didn't even bother Kyungsoo's presence perhaps too spaced out.

Just then someone called him, it was Jongdae. "Hey Kyungsoo, didn't you know the news?" Kyungsoo just kept silent. "Jongin's son died."

"W-What?"

"Asher's heart also gave in."

 

 

 

---

"Yah, yah--" Kyungsoo simply nudged his sleeping friend. It was already past 7 in the morning and he needed to work. He cooked some eggs and bibimbap for his roommate. The smurf simply groaned and not even budging an inch. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Baekhyun's alarm clock couldn't stop ringing and it annoyed him so much.

"Byun Baekhyun!" Kyungsoo's tone now has a warning. Baekhyun doesn't answer which had Kyungsoo to grab a pillow and cover his friend's face, choking Baekhyun. 

"Y-Yah! have you gone mad!? " Baekhyun squirmed and struggled for air.

Kyungsoo removed the pillow and rolled his eyes again. "I'm going to work lazy asshat."

"Lazy asshat yourself." It was Baekhyun's turn to roll his eyes while wiping the drool on the corner of his mouth. Based from the smell coming from the kitchen, Kyungsoo must've cooked for them. When Kyungsoo began buttoning his polo, Baekhyun sat up, he doesn't even know how to bring the topic up but he just gave it a go. He needed Kyungsoo's opinion too. "I learned about Jongin yesterday through Minseok hyung." Baekhyun's discovery made Kyungsoo to stop combing his hair. 

"Seriously? Kim Jongin? Client? You know what? To be blunt Jongin's your desperate ex and you are the pathetic one, both disttressing exes. Because seriously, I don't want you to be stuck at a cheese trap like a ing mouse because," Baekhyun made quoting symbols. "I quote Chanyeol saying, 'Kyungsoo's something better than that.'"

"Since when are you concerned with my job Byun?" Kyungsoo just replied to erase the drama. "Brush your teeth, it smells."

 

--

"Good Morning hyung." Jongin greeted him. It was really new for Kyungsoo to have Jongin calling him hyung again. It's been a while and Jongin's suddenly acting close. Kyungsoo wanted to hush Jongin for calling him that but he can't help it. He had a small time nostalgia of how he and Jongin used to greet each other back then, early in the morning. Too bad that he missed it, maybe Jongin doesn't even remember it.

Kyungsoo hummed a reply before entering the station's edifice.

"I am going to ask her a few questions, going to be blunt. Is that okay?"

Jongin beamed weakly, "J-Just don't pressure her too much."

"I cannot promise." Kyungsoo walked inside the empty waiting area with Jongin. They sat down the chairs, waiting for Krystal to appear. he cannot assure himself that he's much better now but after seeing Krystal's files, it awakened the other side of him. 

A few seconds later came Krystal, her hair was messed up, her eye bags were showing but she still looked gorgeous. Kyungsoo averted his gaze, thoughts about how that beauty bewitched irritates him.

"I'm going to start the interrogation. I need honest answers okay? I know you're a bit tired because of the cell and the police investigation but do cooperate with me." And Kyungsoo started the first question, "Don't you and Yoona have contacts?" He asked.

Krystal shrugged, "She cut it after the incident, might've loathed me."

"She might've misunderstood because we tend to still say that we're right even though we're wrong." Kyungsoo explained. Krystal was caught off guard that she kept silent and had Jongin giving a confused glance at Kyungsoo.

"I'm sorry, I just--- Kyungsoo excused but found no reason to explain, "Can you talk to me about Yoona?"

Krystal's explanations were making no sense except for her stand to Yoona. According to her, she and Yoona were like sisters that even Jessica got jealous. They were so close and that nothing had tore them apart. But when the murder itself happened, Yoona refused to believe Krystal and began being reluctant towards her. Sir Lee was Yoona's only family back then. When it comes to Taemin, Krystal just shrugged and said that she and Taemin doesn't have a stable contact. Kyungsoo found that a bit ill-defined because sometimes he felt like she was covering something up but Kyungsoo couldn't jump to conclusions yet, everything must be a perfect fit.

Still the same discussions about the murder scene and that Krystal would deny that she was the killer, that someone knocked her down and when she woke up, she was shocked then police got to her.

"I-I told you that the keys were inside Sir Lee's office, when I knocked, no one answered and when I opened the door, I saw his swivel chair and he was sitting on that he, h-he was not facing me. And w-when I stepped inside, I someone hit me on my nape and I fell down, everything dark. When I woke up, I saw the gun on my palm. I know i sound crazy but that's the truth!" Krystal began tearing up, caressing her cheeks.

"The probability of you doing it is 50% and the probability of other enemies doing that is also 50%. You said that you were knocked down and you didn't see that person is." Kyungsoo paused. "You know that it's really hard to understand that. That case will not be clear especially that the cctv is broken. The story beside it and there are no witnesses. The act happened before Yoona and Jiseok walked in and they caught you. You were there, no one can be suspected. So if you are hiding something---"

"I know I know!" Krystal suddenly burst into overwhelming emotions. Tears are at the edge of her eyes. Jongin stiffened, eyeing his wife who was just about to cry. He felt alarmed.

"Stop." Jongin voiced out, something wrong in his voice.

"Krystal, tell me. Does Yoona have something against you?" Kyungsoo ignored him and kept pushing that question over and over again.

"I-I don't know." Soo Jung shrugs her head continuously, she was now crying.

"If this murder is really planned then someone might have a grudge against you."

Kyungsoo asked and asked who her potential enemies are and the results of his questions were difficult to rephrase. He couldn't point her guilty because he still needed to know what the other party is trying to say. Krystal's insanity plea, he needed to really understand that as the Guardian ad litem

Plus Minseok still haven't sent him the list of Sir Lee's contacts and possible enemies.

Kyungsoo just thought of one thing, he needed to trust Krystal's words. 

After more than 25 minutes, Krystal was called to go back her cell. Jongin gave his wife a quick I love you before proceeding out of the door. Kyungsoo just diverted his attention to his notes, avoiding further emotions to stand out.

When they reached the parking lot, Jongin quickly grabbed his wrist, making him spin and pinned against his car. Jongin's grip was really tight that got Kyungsoo gazing at his eyes. He doesn't know what to feel but he knows that Jongin's feeling angry. 

Kyungsoo saw his jaw clenching and unclenching. He tried to make Jongin let go of his arm but the latter's grip was just too tight, making his arm slowly red.

"Let go." Kyungsoo firmly said. "Let go! What's wrong with you!?"

Jongin deadpanned him, kept his firm grip.

"Jongin!" Kyungsoo warned; his wrists hurting. He doesn't want to mention that cursed name of his ex but he can't help it.

"Please win this case..." Jongin whispered in another hopeless whine. "I know you can Kyungsoo, i know you can get her out."

Kyungsoo gave him a disgusted look, "Not everyone wins Jongin. I go by certain of rules. I fight for what's right. Now please," He breathes out. "Let g-go, it hurts already!"

Jongin suddenly turned to him, anger still flushed through his eyes. "It's been four years and you still can't keep your promises!"

Kyungsoo stopped.

Everything in his world stopped.

Kyungsoo seemed so confused but it rather hurts inside him.

Kyungsoo wanted to slap Jongin so bad, he wanted to shout at him, tell him that Jongin's the one not keeping promises but instead he just kept his mouth shut, wanting Jongin to explain.

"I didn't say no Jongin. I know that you're frustrated and all but please, please try to understand that I'm getting hurt of your grip!"

Jongin's expression softened. And Kyungsoo saw from his eyes that rather than anger, he saw emptiness in his eyes. Jongin's grip began to loosen.

Kyungsoo concluded that Jongin feels alone.

Pathetic they might say but Jongin couldn't still stop thinking about Krystal although he's visited her a lot of times already, promising kisses and stars of hope, he would always search for her.

Jongin admits that the first time he that place, he was disgusted. How come that his innocent wife got thrown into bars? That place was for people with no conscience at all, filthy, isolated and walls of sins. Jongin hated himself for not being strong and not being able to wipe her tears when she's feeling terrified at that foul place.

Jongin was now to spaced out that got Kyungsoo worried.

Jongin smiled at him apologetically, "I'm sorry..." He whispered in a form of a hushed whisper. Jongin doesn't cry, he rarely does but now tears are racing down his cheeks. Kyungsoo's heart twitched, that was Jongin's side that he hated so much.

Kyungsoo loathed himself for being sorry for Jongin, he loathed himself that he still loved the man that doesn't love him anymore. The tears that Jongin's sheding was not because of him and not for him, it was for someone else.

Not you, will be never you.

He wanted to hug Jongin so bad.

Instead, he tapped Jongin's back. He doesn't care if that small move looked like he was taking advantage; he just wanted Jongin to be okay more than himself to be okay.

"What if I'm just making a big fool out of myself? W-What if sh-she really did that?" Jongin asked himself. "It just scares me, lot. I don't know what to believe too since I wasn't there."

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip, he shouldn't be saying this but he needed to understand that this story only revolves around Jongin and Krystal; they will never have time for both. Maybe this might give him answers. 

"Believe her since she's your wife. Whatever she did it isn't important anymore. W-What is important is your love for her, that you're even willing to ask me to fight for your wife. You're the one that fought the most in your marriage, Asher and now this case." Kyungsoo gave him a painful smile, "Even if things go wrong, you'll still end up forgiving her."

Jongin stares directly at Kyungsoo's eyes. "At the end of the day, you'll still understand her and at the end of the day, you'll still end up loving her."

If loving means being loved then I am not being loved enough. If loving means being special then I barely love but if loving means getting hurt then I guess I'm loving too much. After all, Love's an excuse to hurt and to get hurt.

---