7.1

The Last Fight | kaisoo

"Hyung, can we meet?" Jongin's voice was bland and hidden with it was surprise. 

After the café incident, Kyungsoo and Sehun decided to meet Detective Kim for a few files and sentences and gradually proceeded to the court to arrange another trial. The case was moving forward well as the three started laying out their own conclusions and thoughts. Kyungsoo found comfort to be with Sehun and detective Kim as they sometimes joke around and treat him tteokbokki.

"Jongin, I'm in a middle of a meeting." Kyungsoo uttered in a soft voice, his mind and soul taken by the case. Detective Kim Myungsoo was constantly glancing at him. Sending him a few signals for him to turn his phone off. Kyungsoo heard Jongin sigh from the other line and it somewhat bothered him, "Are you okay? What happened?"

Jongin doesn't answer and instead pressed the end call button. He palmed his whole face after, fingers angrily raking his scalp. He was getting frustrated and was confused himself. He knew that it wasn't jealousy that's taking over him but guilt. He doesn't know what to feel anymore. It feels like there was a hidden combat inside his head. He was starting to feel this way ever since he saw Kyungsoo randomly with Chanyeol at a supermarket. No, maybe even past that. Kyungsoo would sometimes nudge his thoughts and although how much he tried shaking them off, he was still left with his scent.

After he watched that video by accident, something in him had just snapped. He realized a few things that he failed to understand a few years ago.

He is not yours anymore Jongin, you've hurt him enough.

Setting down his can of beer; he fiddled with his phone and found the folder that he's been hiding ever since from his wife. Krystal was the type to open his phone and ask him a few things. She wasn't that strict but every time she feels it, he doesn't protest. But little did she know that Jongin hid something from her. It was a folder full of screenshots of his failed messages towards Kyungsoo.

Those times he wanted to say sorry, he always sends Kyungsoo those messages. It was really childish for Jongin but every time he feels guilty, he does it. It was dated from their high school days up till now. Those messages are roaring with confusion.

Hyung. Im sorry, I really wanted to go to that movie with you. Send failed 4:01 am

Drink those medicines!!!!!!! Do not make me feed you I don't want you sick because of those books! Send failed 2:12 pm

Hyung im sorry I shouted at you Send failed 12:12 pm

I'm working on a project with soo jung. Is it okay?? sent failed 4:04 am

how are you hyung? I ing miss you don't ever entertain kim junmyeon Send failed 9:15 am

im a ing bastard I hate myself. I hate it for hurting you. I ing love you so much. Send failed 8:12 am

I don't know If I love her. Send failed 12:32 pm

I just wanted time from you but I guess you don't deserve an impatient like me right? Send failed 10:11 am

No hyung don't say sorry. I am so ing proud of you so ing proud of what you've become very successful and here I am scolding myself for all my s. I feel like I'm cheating over her and you. Send failed 1:01 pm

Why do I even send these stuff for you? Send failed 6:23 pm

I saw you with chanyeol at the grocery. Wow you never changed. Send failed 3:34 pm

And you still love those sandwiches right? Send failed 3:34 pm

I've been a jerk so much. Please fight for her hyung, I damn love her. Send failed 5:56 pm

Im so dumb im hurting you what do I do? Send failed 8:52 am

I need to end this. 5:21 pm

View 20 (+) messages

Jongin reminisced those times when he decided to be a jerk just because of his own selfish reasons. He thought he loved Kyungsoo enough but it just turned out that it was indeed a huge infatuation because if not, he could never marry Krystal Jung. The tragedy that happened to them is all because of him. He knew that Kyungsoo tried to make it up to him so bad but he denied him. At first he wanted to accept him back again but seeing Krystal shed a tear for him after a few days of lies, he cannot help it but admit that he doesn't want the girl to cry over him. 

And he couldn't find a way to make things right anymore.

It always comes back to goodbye.

They say that you only fall in love once and the rest are attraction.

Yes he adored Kyungsoo so much but he doesn't know what kind of sorcery overwhelmed his feelings for someone as lovable as his hyung.

 

 

 

 

"Professor said that aspiring engineers and architects are going to work on a small project. Would that be okay if it was you?" Krystal silently asked Jongin who was spacing out and was eating a sandwich blandly.

"Couldn't you have another partner? I think I don't have the energy to." Jongin said dryly. He was looking down on the ground, probably depressed by the fact that Kyungsoo was busy for his exams. It was the second time that Kyungsoo declined for another date and Jongin was seriously feeling lonely.

"Was this about Kyungsoo again?" Soo Jung asked and sat beside Jongin. She hummed a song to calm him down. She gazed at him and admired his jawline and features. "You know, you are really well known in our department. They say that you are very talented and smart. Girls would always fall in love with your laugh."

Jongin doesn't answer and instead kept on nibbling the sandwich that Kyungsoo prepared for him. Even though Kyungsoo stopped giving Jongin the time that he desired, he never failed to send him sandwiches every morning through Chanyeol.

"But right now, I think I couldn't see that laughing man." Krystal said before smiling. "I don't want to interfere though but, I think you need to give yourself space. Give yourself time to be happy."

"I am happy with hyung." That was Jongin's only answer.

"Well, I know you would say that." Krystal sighed. "Why won't you stop being a depressed and do your work? Do other things that make you happy? I think Kyungsoo would want you to focus on your field because he does too. I mean," She smiled and fiddled with her fingers. "Wouldn't you want to be successful too? You can't go down the drain while he rises on top. You can't bear that pain alone Jongin."

That awoke something inside Jongin. He knew that the girl beside him was also famous and was probably one of the most desired architects. He knew that she maybe bewitching him but her words really made sense to him.

What if Kyungsoo would want that too?

Jongin stopped nibbling on the sandwich and faced Soo Jung, "You think so?"

"Uhuh." Soo Jung smirked. She finally got a chance to see his face. "I think he would want you to work hard and after that, you two could have time for each other."

How come Jongin never thought of that?

Unconsciously, he ruffled Soo Jung's hair and smiled at her. "Alright, I'll be your partner."

 

 

 

 

Jongin wasn't aware that time that it was a partnering for a month. They were asked to design and construct a small paper house of what sort of looked like their dream house collaborated into one.

Within Soo Jung's advice, Jongin had finally understood what Kyungsoo might've wanted him to do. His calls to Kyungsoo were lessened as he was focused on the project and his greetings were also subtracted. He and Kyungsoo would sometimes date but he felt himself slowly drifting away from Kyungsoo's stories and instead, he wanted to work with Krystal to design that house.

That went on for three weeks until before their project ended; Jongin felt something for his architect. He was feeling guilty about it but he couldn't remove the girl's smiles inside his head. He thought that he might've been doing wrong and instead scolded himself until one day he came into one conclusion. He wanted to talk to Kyungsoo for a day and Krystal too. That was his only chance to sort his feelings out. He loved Kyungsoo but why is that girl really starting to creep inside him?

So he sent Krystal a text since Doctor Stranger was showing. He waited for her reply but then something dawned on him. It was the wrong number.

To: Kyungsoo ; 7:12 am

I'll fetch you 8:00 am. Be there hon, we'll watch Doctor Strange together!

Don't keep me waiting, you're beautiful.

I love you.

-J

It was sent to Kyungsoo instead. He resent the same thing to Krystal and tried to formulate an apology for Kyungsoo but then his phone notified him that he has no more load.

With that, he forgot Kyungsoo and happily went with Krystal despite the weather and not knowing that Kyungsoo actually came to their waiting place just to wait for his boyfriend.

 

"Kyungsoo knows us know." Krystal muttered. "J-Jongin i---"

"Don't be scared. Everything is going to be fine." Jongin consoled Krystal and wiped away her tears using his thumb.

"But y-you didn't even break up with him rig---" krystal was seriously feeling bad but she couldn't stop whatever she have now.

"Isn't it obvious that I'm dating you? We've broke up. So please stop crying baby."

"B-but---"

"Of course we broke up. I am not seeing him anymore and my feelings have faded. Words aren't necessary right?" Jongin told her. "Kyungsoo's smart. I know he would be able to get through it. He would move on from me. I also bet he's happy now since he's a lawyer. He's successful and got what he wanted. I am so sure of that baby. What matters here is us." Then he gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

 

 

 

Jongin didn't intent to fall in love with Jung Soo Jung. He didn't want to fall out of love of Kyungsoo. He cannot control his heart and he was the only one who can disobey his own laws.

He was so happy when he got his architect.

But that sudden dawn of realization hit him after a certain event.

He never realized that what if the exchange of his happiness was someone's misery?

 

 

 

"Baekhyun hyung?" he mumbled when he caught sight of Baekhyun a few meters away from the school. He was assisting some heavy boy who seemed to be drunk under the rain. He clenched tightly on his umbrella and approached Baekhyun who was having a hard time. He even thought it was chanyeol for a moment.

"Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun stopped assisting Kyungsoo who was severely drunk and quite injured from a fight inside a certain bar. Anger rose inside his head when he heard that voice.

"Hyung!" Jongin's eyes widened when he saw that it was Kyungsoo. " what happened? Sh- let me help----"

"Go the away from us!" Baekhyun angrily hissed and shoved him away.

"Hyung, you're drenched---"

"As if you care!" Baekhyun growled and gripped Kyungsoo's arm tightly. He walked away but Jongin trailed behind them and even tried shading them using his umbrella. Baekhyun kicked him away.

"You could get sick!" Jongin protested and even wanted to shade kyungsoo more.

"Are you really that insensitive!?" Baekhyun gritted his teeth. "Can't you see what you've done you douchebag!? Use your eyes and ears! He ruined himself for you Jongin and yet you pretend like nothing had ever happened!"

"Baek," Jongin felt guilty as his throat run dry. "W-What happened?" He was terribly clueless. He heard rumors but he knew that those were false. Kyungsoo wasn't alcoholic and he wasn't the type of person who would want to go to waste. He knew kyungsoo better but right now, he couldn't recognize his former lover.

"How could you even ask those words? Isn't Kyungsoo the one who needed to ask ing why kim jongin? I thought you loved him? He only wanted a little space he didn't mean to ignore you."

Jongin looked away, "How could you say that when you're not Kyungsoo?" he was getting angry and depressed for a reason.

"How could you not fight for him?" Baekhyun pierced through his conscience. "You really don't deserve Kyungsoo, Jongin. You don't deserve anything that Kyungsoo had given for you."

Jongin paused and blinked. He glanced at Kyungsoo whose lips were cracked and the beer scent was lingering in the air. Kyungsoo really looked pathetic but it seemed like no one cared.

Jongin's heart ached through those words and from the sight. He never knew he would affect Kyungsoo so much. He thought that it was okay. He thought that it was fine for kyungsoo to handle it alone. It was a really stupid move! Was he so young to be that big jerk!?

"J-Jongin.....don't eat...ughh...no....don't eat sandwiches....jong--"

"Stop saying his name!" Baekhyun scolded as they walk away.

He bit his lips and looked down once again, "I-I'm sorry Baek. I promise I won't bother him anymore." his voice was low and unstable. Cold breeze matching with his mood.

Baekhyun stopped walking and faced him. He even scoffed. "Why say sorry to me when it should be Kyung---"

But Jongin was already running away.

He was a coward, Jongin admits. And that night, the scene broke his conscience.

He was a coward for he ruined that innocent boy who had done nothing but love him with all his heart.

 

 

 

Up till now, that scene had bugged Jongin. Every night, it haunted him to his sleep and talking to Kyungsoo's jade bracelet and sending failed messages were the only things to soothe him down.

Jongin didn't realize but his heart was very heavy and it felt like he was going to burst.

Seeing Kyungsoo now, looking so carefree and moved on. , was he still being so insensitive? Why didn't he even realize that Kyungsoo might be keeping his own emotions to himself and the only reason he was fighting was because of his job?

And Sehun? Why is he feeling a bit curious about them?

"Baekhyun is right jongin. You don't deserve him. You should've called for another lawyer. You should've been better. You should've not---"

Stop.

Jongin had enough.

He needed to tell him the reason why he didn't fight for them.

"You're a jerk Kim Jongin but you need to man up, Kyungsoo doesn't deserve this."

--

 

 

"Kyungsoo said that the trial is moving now. I heard from Tao that he's been cooperating with Detective Kim and in a few days, we're going to have the real thing at the court." Krystal explained a bit weary.

Kim Jongin seemed to not be focusing his full attention of her. He seemed to be rather nervous from fidgeting his hands too much and his lips. Krystal knew these signs but she chose to ignore it and kept going on with the case. "I told Tao that I'll try my very best to convince them that I did nothing wrong. Whatever grudge Yoona has for me shouldn't be something, it has to be investigated.

Jongin glanced at his wife, "Are you suspicious of her?"

"I don't know," She huffs, "But the way she looks at me after her visit. It looked like she didn't even try to listen to me. She wasn't like that. And it was really odd for her to show up. It felt like she was checking something rather than being concerned."

"Oh." That was Jongin's only reply.

Deafening Silence.

"Stal," That was Jongin's first attempt to ask her about the person who was seriously bothering his conscience. "Should I---" he cuts his sentence and tried to rephrase it. "I mean, are you okay with Kyungsoo?"

"What do you mean?" Krystal tilts her head in confusion. "Okay with the time?"

Jongin shrugged, so his wife didn't even try to think about this ever again.

"Aren't you feeling queasy or----"

"Jongin, what are you saying?" She seemed serious when she caught what he was trying to say.

"Aish, I don't know." Jongin mumbled a bit incoherent earning a suspicious gaze from her.

"Jongin," Krystal snapped at him. "I am comfortable with him. What he does is his job."

"I know, I know."

"I don't, augh, geez Kim Jongin," She palmed her face. "I don't want this discussed but I----" Thousands of hesitations ran down her spine and began ticking her off. As much as she  wanted to ditch the whole topic up, she can't avoid it.

"It's okay stal. I'm sorry."

Krystal closed her eyes for a minute before telling her husband those words that she was dying to tell.

"You know what I've realized?" She exhales. "You need to go to talk to him."

Jongin was shocked from her words. He was expecting her to be furious.

"Stal, don't say that."

"I know and I've been thinking of this every time he appears on that very chair you're sitting on." Krystal smiled regretfully. "I've always been thinking if he is wanting to let me sink down as revenge or does he even feel bad at me at all?"

Jongin doesn't answer, his tongue twisted with guilt.

"I know, I've done wrong and maybe it's too cliché for me to repent because I'm behind bars but it's not that. I know you still have something for him Jongin." Her smiles were bitter. "I know you love me and you never failed to express that but I---" She bit her lower lip. "You know what? You really don't need to hide it at all."

"I-I'm not hiding---"

"Those feelings you have left, they stayed with you. I know what you had with Kyungsoo will never be like mine, Jongin. I saw how you gradually deal with your feelings as time passes. You feel guilty about him and you do too with me. That bracelet, that folder and those incoherent words, you have no idea have I cried over them."

Jongin was stunned of his wife's words. Never had krystal confessed anything like this. He thought that maybe she was mad or sometimes egocentric but now what he saw is entirely just sadness. This was only the third time that Krystal bothered to talk about Do Kyungsoo.

"I know I should be jealous over that but instead---" She looked down. "When I saw Kyungsoo, I felt so burdened and it wasn't even his fault. I've greatly hurt him by acting all selfish and a . People might say that I just happen to regret things now because I am here but no." Her tears are starting to form. "That's because I'm wrong. Do Kyungsoo is a good guy. I saw in him what you saw. He deserved better Jongin and I ruined his happiness that time. I acted all and snatched you away from him----"

"Don't say that," Jongin's voice was firm. "It wasn't your fault. It was never your fault. It was mine."

"No," She laughed bitterly. "Both of us are at fault and now we're desperate for his help." She paused for a second. It was indeed so pathetic. "Jongin talk to him. I needed to know what is true. Why didn't you fight for him? Why did you chose me? And why am I feeling stabbed every time I feel the guilt? A-And why, why are we being so concerned over him?"

"I know I'm such a jerk. I probably didn't deserve anyone's love." Jongin looked down and slapped his face. "Stal, I don't know what to do. How to talk to him? I cannot even talk to him anymore."

"Jongin," Krystal leaned on the glass wall. "We both know what Kyungsoo deserves." Her eyes were sincere. She gave her husband a small smile as a tear ran down her worn out face. "And what he deserved was the truth and when you both got to understand, you both need to learn how to let go."

----