8.1

The Last Fight | kaisoo

Recap: Yoona and Jiseok are the only witnesses. Jiseok is a young boy and Taemin is his hyung. They're both Sir Lee's sons while Yoona is their cousin. I hope ya'll didn't forget their importance in this story.

 

--

Yoona's day was started by several events such as how her alarm clock failed to wake her up on time and how her maid annoyed her to death. She hasn't eaten breakfast yet since her maid's prepared breakfast wasn't suited to what she wanted. She did dress up hastily due she was already getting late.

Her driving hasn't been that smooth. Since she was already annoyed and bothered early in the morning, she was sulking and cursing while driving fast.

"No." She murmured as she stepped on the car's break quickly for the car bumper to not overlap at the pedestrian lane, the traffic lights had turned red. Due frustration, her gaze shifted at her right.

She saw a lady in her mid thirties, crossing the pedestrian lane with a small girl, whose face is painted with annoyance as her mother kept on scolding her as they walked. A small grin crept on her face because she suddenly remembered something.

Yoona kept her gaze at the two not until her concentration was broken by loud car beeps, a clear signal that the lights had turned green. She brought out her phone and dialed her cousin's number. She took a quick glance at her car's gps to locate the nearest café to pass by.

"Taem-ah." Yoona greeted her yawning cousin. "I'm going to stop by there to check on Seokkie. Is he awake yet?"

Taemin stretched and flexed while answering, "Yeah. Heard the trial is today?"

Yoona smirked, "Seokkie would be enlightened to hear that wouldn't he?"

Taemin took a few seconds to answer. "Yeah yeah, discuss that here. It's better for him to hear it all."

--

"Where's Jiseok?" It was what Taemin heard when he opened the door while holding a cup of coffee. "He's at his room."

Yoona set down her bag and arrowed the box of cake to her sluggish cousin. "Is his condition improving? Is he not sulky anymore?"

Taemin gave her a small smile before leading her to Jiseok's bedroom. She opened the door and it revealed Jiseok playing with his soccer ball. "Seokkie~" She called out that got the attention of the younger.

Jiseok stared at Yoona but didn't bother smiling at her. Yoona crouched near Jiseok and held his face. "Do you know that today is a very special day?"

Jiseok kept caressing the ball and didn't throw Yoona a glance. The elder was quite disappointed but she just shrugged it off knowing her plan. "Today," She started. "----is your appa's trial. Today, the killer will be judged and will go to jail afterwards. Appa will be so happy right?"

Her words caught Jiseok's attention, "Really noona?" His sad eyes lit up from what he heard.

Yoona kissed his hair, "Yes Seokkie. Soo Jung will go to jail today, finally."

Jiseok sighed, "But that won't still bring appa. He's dead." Yoona knew that even though it's been almost a month since his father died, Jiseok still yearned for his father and no one cannot close the gap like the late Sir Lee.

Yoona wasted no time and hugged him. "I know Seokkie but don't worry okay? Atleast appa will be given justice. That's what matters here right?"

Jiseok nodded; his hopes high enough for him to smile small.

"So don't bother entertain questions anymore, those questions from them are over since it will all come to an end." She told jiseok and the younger nodded; attention back at his soccer ball. Yoona beamed sweetly and stood up, closing the door and facing taemin.

"Are those detectives still bothering him?"

Taemin shook his head, "Tell me what happens at the case then. I'm already having a conference with his business associates so that I can still fix his name."

"Oh trust me," Yoona smirked. "Soo Jung will face the consequences."

"Shall I send Jiseok too?" Taemin asked that caught Yoona off guard. She rolled her eyes, "Don't make him suffer any of this anymore. Just let us handle the case."

"Jiseok said that he is willing."

"Even though he's willing, I'm already assuring that nothing can go wrong Taemin."

Taemin raised an eyebrow.

--

Back on the road, Yoona drove hastily again but got stuck at another traffic light. She quickly brought out her phone when it vibrated inside her pocket. She comber her hair, strands running down the spaces of her fingers.

"I'm on my way. Don't worry about a thing." She started and tapped the steering wheel with an inaudible tune singing in her head.

"Make sure about that. Make sure no one retracts." The caller dreads.

Yoona sighed, "We have no holes. Soo Jung doesn't have anything to fight back."

The caller coughed, "That Attorney, Do Kyungsoo, asked me about my calls with your uncle. It won't be a bother right?"

Yoona stiffened from her position, "They don't have a strong proof against us. Soo Jung will be done."

"I hope so," The caller sighed. "I wanted this done. I wanted this cleared and not to be argued again. I'm hanging up."

The lights had turned green, a signal for her to go.

Yoona palmed her face from what she heard. Deep inside, she was worried of how that hearing might come out. Atty. Do Kyungsoo was obviously being suspicious about her and it was making her uncomfortable. He was a lot of different from Soo Jung's previous lawyer Kris and a review of Kyungsoo's reputation was truly daunting.

She can merely remember that day of the murder.

It was bashful, horrible but strangely, it felt reviving.

 

"Tomorrow is Myeongdong's festival. Early in the morning, there might be a lot of cars and people around the area."

"Are you sure this will work?"

"It will take her four bus stops before she reaches the house. Driving by car can be only calculated into two stops. There's a shortcut that busses don't go to. I'll leave my car as soon as she leaves. Make sure Jiseok doesn't find this out."

"B-But..."

"Why are you being a chicken Yoona? You told me you loathed her. Plus, you won't suffer any consequences. Soo Jung will have no stand, no one would believe her explanations. I can get everyone to spin under my palm. I know that girl, she's not that strong and stable as her father."

"But I can't---augh, I'm being---"

"Stop being a baby Im Yoona. You hated your uncle for a reason that your mom died because of his selfishness. He was your mother's only sibling yet he refused to help her. And then what? You gave up medschool, your dream, because of supporting your sick mother. Soo Jung? You said she was always overlapping you and that she's such a right?"

"Then what about you? She's your step daughter. I can't say that this plan is---"

"I never cared about that wench. Her father and fortune is what I've been rooting for. Besides, your uncle's been threatening me and sending me blackmails if I don't agree to his requests. I am a businesswoman too Yoona. Krystal's father entrusted me with things that I've wanted ever since. He was the one who fulfilled my dreams. Gotta say, being on my own is better than to fit in that family of mine."

"Uncle...didn't you love him?"

"In this world, you just have to be wise my dear. There's a gun at my compartment. Trust me Yoona."

 

 

Yoona shrugged from that certain nostalgia. She wouldn't deny the fact that she's still scared and guilty but what's done is done. After all, they've done it cleanly. A plan B must be set if ever that failed at the last trials.

"Whoever wins shall not back out." She clenched her fists against the steering wheel.

--

Kyungsoo tapped his feet on the marble floor as he waited scanned and reviewed the files that Tao compiled for him. On twenty pages of bond paper were all the details of this case. Including Sir Lee's photographs after being shot, the copied verdict, statements, investigations and deals made.

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip as he inserted a small receipt at the middle. He grabbed his pen and wrote something beneath,

Not guilty.

He stared at what he wrote.

That's when Tao tapped his shoulder. "You've got ten minutes to talk to her. Make sure to talk precise and quick."

Nodding at Tao, he quickly dashed at the visiting Cell and sat on one of the chairs. He was greeted by Soo Jung's forced smile and somewhat avoiding his gaze.

"So, I've got less than ten minutes. Can you work with me and handle this case?"

Soo Jung sighed, the dark circles underneath her eyes sinking. "I've done it before and I'm sure I can."

"Don't be afraid to state what you know because not all defendants that are proven not guilty are truly not tainted. Money revolves and shapes the world. Whatever the outcome of this trial maybe, I'm here to fight for it."

"T-Thank You." Soo Jung murmured. "I know this is just your job and probably seeing me might be annoying to you but Kyungsoo, I hope whatever happens you would be able to be free someday. I hope that all of those bad decisions that our fool selves made had something good in them. I know I made a mistake and am not deserving your time and forgiveness---"

"Let's have time decide for that and not ourselves. I don't know what will happen and neither do you. I don't know what will I feel and the future, I hope too that it will be complimentary for both of us." Kyungsoo sneered, wanting to shake her hand. He knew that Krystal is still talking about that past but Kyungsoo is just too tired from that. Deep inside, he knew that he still loved Jongin or maybe a little part of him is still not tired but he already begged himself to move on since he cannot fight for that forlorn love anymore. Four damned years maybe enough to think that he's being such a fool and it wasn't because he met Sehun either. He just wanted to be free. Many would think and be disappointed saying that he's passive. Many would still think that he's way better than that but Kyungsoo was just wishing that the favorable fate will be camping at his side now. He had reached his dreams and became contented. He knew he was still empty stating that his heart is still bruised and confined.

Jongin happened in his life, yes but maybe fate got other plans with them and Kyungsoo doesn't want to interfere with fate's plans anymore.

Whatever happens, I hope we can be all happy, Kim Jongin, mine or not.

"But is Jiseok not coming?" He asked although children are not allowed inside the court however, Jiseok was one of the witnesses. He knew that his statement might be vague considering Jiseok was a kid.

"Actually, I hope he does. I heard that he didn't give statements rather than seeing me holding that gun." Krystal narrates and Kyungsoo glanced at his wristwatch. They've got only six minutes left. "They said he was really traumatized. The kid loved his father so much."

"Wait, you said that you are in Jiseok's school the day the murder happened and Yoona told you to fetch them with another car. Why then?"

"Actually, Jiseok was sprained after their friendly soccer match. Probably Yoona doesn't want him to walk or leave the car alone."

"Are you sure Jiseok's not hiding anything?"

"He's a kid. I'm sure that he doesn't know anything."

"What about Yoona?"

"I-I," Soo Jung breathes out. "I think she's angry at me but---I don't know Kyungsoo. That day it happened, I left the school leaving the two of them. I don't think she has relations---"

"You could say that." Kyungsoo huffs, eyebrows furrowed. "Listen to me Krystal, I don't know if I am crazy but I am following my instinct rather than facts since we are lacking it." He cleared his throat. Three minutes left. "I think Im Yoona is the rightful defendant. She might've done the murder or not or maybe she ordered someone." Kyungsoo showed her the receipt. "Remember asking her about that day? She said she had stomach pains but what she bought was not the rightful medicine to cure constipation or such."

"C-Could w-we use that?" Krystal's eyes lit up, hoping.

"The judge might probably issue this as irrelevant but, well you can catch them by their body languages."

"So are you saying that between that time when I left her and Jiseok---" Soo Jung was cut off.

"Time's up!" Tao opened the door and told Kyungsoo to exit.

--

The trial had started leaving the Legal speaker to start the ceremony. It was started by all of them rising, Jongin, Mr. Jung, Hi Yeon, Jiseok, Sehun, Tao and Jessica as part of the crowd, Lee Jinki as the judge and Kim Seokjin as the other lawyer. The defendant, Jung Soo Jung, was called and asked if present while the only witness, Im Yoona was also called to step up and take the oath of saying the truth and the truth only.

They were given two minutes to outline the evidence and the case.

Attorney Do Kyungsoo stood firm, eyes switching between the crowd, the prosecution and the judge. He walked towards the judge, where the curious crowd behind him could also listen in. He cleared his throat, "My client had been seen holding a gun near the dead body of the Late Lee." He paused to look at Krystal then continued, voice getting louder. "Although she is innocent," the crowd gasped behind him and got Jongin clenching his fists. "---until proven guilty." Kyungsoo continued. He strolled towards Kim Seokjin's desk and slammed his fists, "Mr. Kim should know better."

Seokjin smirked and gathered all the facts from the investigation he was holding.

The second part of the case was the attorney questioning the witnesses. Soo Jung has the right to cross-examine the witness's words that she had testified about the alleged crime.

Kyungsoo walked back to his desk saying, "I call Im Yoona to answer my questions with facts."

Sehun stared intently at the attorney. Even though he knew that Kyungsoo was doing a good job, a part of him was still in doubts if ever the attorney's plans would go down the drain.

"Is it true that on the day of December 23rd, you are with the defendant and that deceased man's son?"

Yoona nodded and replied with a slow, "Yes."

"I'm sorry but can you please speak up?" Kyungsoo taunted although he had heard her response. This move made Yoona to clench her fists and for someone in the crowd to bite her lips in annoyance.

"It's true." Yoona answered, confident at her side.

The crowd buzzed and their voices echoed throughout the whole courtroom leaving the judge stating, "Order in my court."

"Are you agreeing with me that before the day of the murder, you and the defendant have known each other? Better yet, friends?"

"Yes."

"Please explain to the court your relations with the defendant." Kyungsoo walked around and observed the crowd. He noticed that Jongin was playing with his lips, fingers fumbling at his lap merely a sign of nervousness.

Hang on there. Kyungsoo advised telepathically.

"Jung Soo Jung is my bestfriend," Yoona started, brushing her bangs. "We are very close ever since we stepped in highschool," She triggered a quite emotional act. "She is so caring and sweet that I have treated her as my own sister and since I have none."

"What's the relation of both of your families?" Kyungsoo asked, his expression serious that got Jongin staring at him.

"My mother knew her for probably a short time. She fond of her I guess."

"Then what's her relation to the Late Sir Lee? Does this have any connection to your also deceased mother?"

Seokjin stood up, "Objection your honor, the question is irrelevant."

Onew sat straight, "The witness will answer the question."

Kyungsoo ambled towards the witness, "Did you have a fight with Soo Jung before the murder?"

Yoona looked down and pursed her lips before smiling sweetly again, "Nothing major. You could conclude that it was just a childish fight over a bag."

Soo Jung sighed but agreed. She and Yoona didn't have that major fights ever since they stepped nineteen.

Kyungsoo's eyebrows ceased, "Did this childish fight result into a personal conflict?"

Seokjin huffed and slammed his hands with full force on his own desk, opposing Kyungsoo's. "Your honor, again! The question is irrelevant."

The judge squints his eyes, "Overruled."

"How could you state that those minor fights would've not broken into a personal grudge? Are you sure that you are pretty much forgiving to not have even the slightest tinge of jealousy after having the defendant to be a favorite of the departed man?" Kyungsoo stated.

"Objection!" Seokjin stood up, "What relevance does this have towards the case?"

"Agreed." The judge muttered. "Attorney Do, are you badgering the woman in order to confuse her?"

"No your honor," Kyungsoo defended. "I would never."

"Then carry on."

Seokjin smiled from what he heard and prepared himself.

"Again, do you have any resents against Jung Soo Jung?" Kyungsoo asked the witness once more.

"I don't," Yoona gritted her teeth. Her conscience was seeping in but she tried her best to ignore it. If Soo Jung won't handle the consequences then she would. "B-But I saw her with a gun, pointing at my precious uncle. How mad would I be? Soo Jung and I have known him for years but it all came to this!"

"Then do you have grudges against your own uncle?"

Seokjin shot Kyungsoo a glare, "Objection your honor, the question is leading."

"Objection sustained."

Whispers were again heard inside the court and Jessica tapped Jongin's back to calm him down.

"Order in the court!"

"I have no further questions." Kyungsoo spoke and sat back on his seat. Kyungsoo knew that he still had to refute Yoona's testimonies. Seokjin fiddled with his hands as he started questioning the accused. "Mrs. Kim," He called out. Jin believed that Soo Jung was guilty and wanted to attack her with so many questions. "What are you thinking when my client told you to get the keys from their house? Was it perhaps a good motive since you are already there?"

Kyungsoo defended, "Objection your honor!"

Seokjin answered back, "What I am stating is that regardless that the witness may have a grudge against the defendant, the facts remain." Seokjin's jaw clenched. "No more questions."

The prosecution had cross-examined both parties.

The crowd still buzzing and arguing inside while Jessica still consoled Jongin. "You got to trust him." Jessica whispered. "I know we will win this."

Kyungsoo stood up, "I would like to call my client to stand, Jung Soo Jung."

Soo Jung nervously stood in front of everyone, her blonde hair, sticking to hair face. Jongin's eyes followed her every move.

"Soo Jung," Kyungsoo began, "You told me that when you arrived at Sir Lee's room, he was on his swivel chair and was not facing you. Few maids are stated all busy downstairs and not even entertaining you due a morning routine and after a few steps, your visoon had out and somebody had framed you up. Hitting you on the nape is that correct?"

"Yes." Soo Jung replied.

"I see. Was there anyone else to possibly testify this?"

"None." Soo Jung shook her head. Jiseok's breath hitched from the crowd.

"Didn't you find that odd that Sir Lee wasn't even aware of your footsteps and voice?"

"No." Soo Jung held her head up high. "I thought he was busy using his phone. I didn't conclude a maybe already dead man in front of me." She glanced at Yoona.

"Mhmmm." Kyungsoo understood and looked at the judge. "I have no further questions your honor."

Seokjin fixed his coat, "I call Lee Jiseok to the stands."

Jiseok looked so innocent and confused while on one of the benches. Jongin assisted the kid who had been tugging the edge of his shirt, crumpling it with anxiety. As much as Jongin wanted to stand beside Jiseok, he just couldn't since the courthouse prohibited it.

With the sight of Jiseok, Kyungsoo sunk on his chair, thinking that he never knew that the child would be appearing even though he'd already suffered enough.

"What is your relation to Im Yoona?"

Jiseok coughed, tensed but he chose to tell the truth since it was what he also promised his brother.

"S-She is my cousin."

"I see. How are you connected to this story? You are with them at the day of the murder am I correct?" Seokjin's eyes were glued on him.

The courtroom went silent.

"Y-You see, we're at school. Soo Jung, Me and noona. They were cheering at me for our friendly match. I got sprained after being tackled by one of my teammates. We got to the clinic and told that I need rest. We were about to go home but the car's tires were flat."

Kyungsoo smirked from what he heard.

"Continue." Seokjin urged.

"Noona told Soo Jung to contact our family driver to come fetch us but he was actually in China beforehand and then Soo Jung went to fetch us."

Aigoo, Kyungsoo shrugged, Seokjin was still indeed a newbie. He was still smirking after Jiseok's statement. His chances were getting higher even though the kid wasn't a part of his plan but the kid's words were aligning to what he wanted. All he needed was for Seokjin to not hit the wrong bell and stop.

"T-Then, after I waited and waited, after noona finally came and suggested that we tow the car or ride a taxi." The little boy bit his lips. "T-Then when we g-got home, I saw dad dead. Soo Jung w-was holding the g-gun." He was fighting his tears.

Kyungsoo admired Jiseok's stand and courage for his dad. He glanced at Seokjin.

"Was it true that Soo Jung was this all dizzy and uncomfortable from what she did? What did she do after?"

"W-Well," Jiseok gulped, "She protested first and told us that she doesn't know what happened." Yoona stiffened from her seat as well as Hi Yeon. "I was already crying and Noona had already called the police."

With a wide smile, Seokjin cast down his hands. "No further questions your honor."

Wrong choice of words Kim Seokjin. Kyungsoo thought and stood up. "Jiseok-ah, from what you've said that you've waited and waited and noona had already called the police, I mean, did you two spend more than an hour waiting for Soo Jung to come back with a car?"

Jisoek wiped his tears. "N-No," After his answer was a short pause, His answer got the crowd to began buzzing again. "I watched another soccer match alone. Noona told me that she will go somewhere but I don't remember."

Yoona flinched from what she heard. She couldn't believe her ears.

"Thank You Jiseok." Kyungsoo smirked.

"Do you have further questions with the witness?" The judge asked and Kyungsoo's gaze fell towards Yoona. Hi Yeon clenched her fists. "May I call on Im Yoona for my one last question your honor?"

"Proceed."

Kyungsoo was now sure of his risky move but he doesn't want the hearing to be adjourned either. "May I ask you if you're familiar with this?"

Sehun stood up, while the court clerk gave him something and showed receipt.

Yoona squints her eyes.

"Can we, prosecutor, hear what it states?"

Sehun's lip corner rose, "December twenty-three, ten-seven am, Haiyan Merchandise. Two tablets of painkillers for twenty-seven thousand won. Issued to Im Yoona."

They all gasped in unison, series of opinions and confusion thrown in the air. Jessica's eyebrows furrowed and Jongin only hoped for the best.

"December twenty-three, ten-seven am. The day of the assassination and almost exactly one hour before the said murder. Detective Kim had a word with Lee Jiseok at the investigation and the kid had stated that his sister excused herself after my client had left because of some stomach issues. Detective Kim had questioned the owner of the store and he revealed that it was an old type of pharmacy that doesn't use machines to make it look unique from its competitors. The store had remained like that for straight fifty years."

Yoona shrugged from the forming anxiety. That damned store!? That's why the designs were being such a er!

"This piece of information is found inside the flat car, all crumpled."

"I object your honor!" Seokjin protested, quite hopeless.

"Overruled. On what grounds do you make your objection?"

"We must stick to the facts! The evidences cannot be retold!" Seokjin argued.

"Carry on." The judge muttered to Kyungsoo.

"Do you recall the time when I asked you about your stomach's condition that day?"

Yoona stole a glance at Hi Yeon, her thoughts were slowly erupting. "Y-Yes."

"Then why would muscle painkillers kill the constipation? Or better yet, where were you when Jiseok said you left?"

Everyone was anticipating for Yoona's answer.

"I-I..." Yoona stuttered, her breaths began to be heavy. She thought that she was ready for this but to be considered that the trial with Kris was adjourned and that they had won, this one was definitely no escape considering that Do Kyungsoo didn't retract for cash. "I-I was going to roam around to k-kill time."

! She cursed.

"Is that your testimony?" Kyungsoo's tone was mocking that got the jury whispering.

Yoona was looking down and was uncomfortable. Why the hell am I being dragged like this!?

"I-I think that this conversation Attorney is not---"

"Then why would you kill time by just roaming around and leaving your sprained cousin on his own? Roaming around the school's premises while your stomach is growling in hurt?" Kyungsoo's smile never left his face and even though his next question was not quite relevant to his older ones, "Let me rephrase what Jiseok said, 'After noona finally came' was he referring that he waited long enough for almost an hour for you to come back? Haiyan Merchandise isn't a mile away from the school. It was even connected with the school's own clinic."

Yoona felt her pride being crushed. If she doesn't save herself from his unexpected words---

Lee Jinki pursed his lips before asking, "Do you have prior questions to the witness?"

"No more further questions your honor." Kyungsoo ended it.

Seokjin didn't argue anymore and found himself realizing the other party's evidence.

The judge and the jury was still having a few difficulties with Kyungsoo's new words so they had decided to suspend it for maybe another undecided trial of another row of facts and this time, it was needed for the last evidence. Was the attorney pointing out that the witness is wrong?

"The witness is excused," The judge turned to Yoona who wasnot making an eye contact with everyone. "You may step down."

"The hearing is adjourned." Lee Jinki said in a loud voice. The crowd kept on discussing before the Legal speaker had spoke,

"All rise."

--

I HAVE TRIED MY BEST PLEASE FORGIVE ME SINCE I'M VERY NEW TO THE 'LEGAL' GENRE AND I AM STILL NOT VERY ACCURATE AND GOOD ABOUT THIS. ANOTHER TRIAL OR A SHORT ONE? CRITICIZE ME PPL AND I KNOW THAT YA'LL MIGHT BE SOMEWHAT CONFUSED BUT LATER ON THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS WILL BE BYUN BAEKHYUN a.k.a The Light lmao

Some terms though:

Witness – the one who saw the crime

Defendant – the one accused of doing the crime

When the judge says, "sustained" then he accepts/agrees to the objection. When it is "overruled." Then he doesn't know why there is an objection.

Testimony- the statement

Verdict --- an opinion or a judgement

Guilty—yeah, guilty of what he/she's done

Objection – disapproval

Jury- body of people to give a verdict

My last note to you guys is how much Thankful I am that ya'll reading my crap. Your comments meant too much like I was laughing or maybe having this derp face whenever I read it. I am glad of your opinions saying those kinds of stuff like 'oh my gosh KAISOO AT THE END!' 'end it with kaistal!' 'kyungsoo is so strong' 'im quite disappointed with this but bravo!' 'SESOO FTW ES' 'heal your heart kyungsoo!' 'bastard jongin!'

I mean, I have the ending already and my mind is in a combat battle of saying that wtf, how do I justify it with that kind of ending!? Many would disapprove or say that the ending is somewhat done quick or what but let's just give Kyungsoo a chance to redeem himself---oops.

How'd ya'll think this will end? Comment down below seouls~