03:

The Last Fight | kaisoo

Kyungsoo stifled a low grunt when his head hit the window due lack of sleep. He rubbed his eyes in a lazy manner and fixed his position.

They are now making a left turn towards Seoul's District Station. Kyungsoo just tried to calm himself down, elevate his feelings and think this hard as work. Silence was enveloping the air, making it more awkward but Jongin seemed to not mind at all. When they reached the parking lot, Jongin immediately parked the car and turned to Kyungsoo.

"Could you please reach out for that paper bag from the back seat?" Jongin ordered. It seemed rude for kyungsoo but because of the please things got turned the other way around. Kyungsoo nodded and tried to reach for the brown paper bag from mcdonalds. 

Then it hit him, why am I easily swayed!?

Jongin stepped out of the car hastily like he was a 3 year old boy going to a playhouse. When Kyungsoo reached the paper bag, he smiled, the aroma of the chicken burger lingered around the air. When he withdrew back, he unfortunately hit his head, making him groan in pain. Jongin opened the passenger's seat and grabbed the paper bag from Kyungsoo, waiting for him to come down the car.

When he got down, he massaged his head slightly; hoping that pressure might fade for this will be a long day.

Jongin began walking towards the edifice and not waiting for the older. Kyungsoo seemed to get the message, they're old enough. He just followed Jongin to the entrance and heaving a long sigh, whispering a tired, "Happy birthday to me." Before a police officer approached them both.

They didn't get the chance to view the cells or the convicts themselves, they just waited inside a waiting room with a huge glass as a barrier, its surface has holes for the words to pass through.

Another painful silence passed for them both as they both waited for Krystal to appear.

Kyungsoo silently hummed while waiting, he slightly glanced at Jongin who was holding the paper bag, looking rather impatient. Kyungsoo analyzed him; maybe Jongin missed his wife so much that he visits her every single day. Quite unfortunate, do I call this karma?

Jongin suddenly turned to Kyungsoo.

Their 0.5 eye contact triggered pure emotions inside Kyungsoo's heart. Jongin just heaved a sigh before another deafening silence was born---only to be broken by the creak of the door and the appearance of the woman that Kyungsoo doesn't even know how to face. He and Krystal never did a direct contact aside from his Graduation. He would just see her from afar with this man beside him, holding hands and whispering sweet words.

The police officer announced the time before shutting the door. 

Kyungsoo's heart raced.

He was nervous and---uncomfortable?

He squirmed more to the right to give Jongin enough space for his talk with his wife. Krystal's eyes smiled and lit when he saw her husband's face. Jongin's eyes were longing and even though he's smiling, she can sense his sadness. It was just too painful for him to see his lovely wife suffering behind those bars. She doesn't deserve it. 

"Hi." Jongin called out and Krystal also replied with a small "Hi."

Oh God, how Jongin missed her voice, That voice that used to wake him up every morning, that voice that always comforts his heart, that voice is the last thing he wanted to hear until his last breath and that voice was coming from the woman in front of him, his wife.

"I brought you the sandwich you wanted, I'll just persuade a few officers so that you can eat it." Jongin said, lifting the paper bag.

Krystal smiled weakly, "You're such a rule breaker. You're so hard headed, I told you that it won't work." Krystal gets it that her husband is trying to ease her but that part of 'trying' is hurting her. 

Kyungsoo felt so uncomfortable that he wanted to excuse himself out of this dramatic scene.

He can't cry, of course he can't. Where's the sense in it?

 

 

"You know that I hated it when you cry hyung..." Jongin leans down and pats Kyungsoo's back. He doesn't know how to comfort Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo lost Kyungri, his sister. And Jongin doesn't know what the right words that would make Kyungsoo better were.

"You know what hyung? As much as my heart's sinking because of your tears? I want you to cry more."

Kyungsoo doesn't say anything and instead just blew his nose.

"It's because you're human. You're allowed to cry and be angry at the world because you have the right to. Life isn't always about happiness so it's okay. Cry all you want, drain those tears." Then Jongin scoots closer, giving Kyungsoo's hand a squeeze, "And when you have the courage to fight, to smile, I want you to remember that I will always be beside you, always."

 

 

 

The two seemed to have their own world, not minding Kyungsoo who was just holding back, choking on his own silent sobs. Kyungsoo felt like a fish out of the water and questioned himself a few times over and over what was he even doing here? He can just walk out and let them suffer right? Why is his ego so big that he wanted to show Jongin that he's much better when he's not? 

He chose that.

"Bear the pain." Kyungsoo whispered softly that he made sure that no one would ever hear those agonizing words coming out of his lips. He needed to stand for himself, it'll be better if time goes by.

He needed to show that he already moved on, that Jongin was just a mere stranger to him too and that everything was just perfectly fine. Inside kyungsoo's mind, a pathetic string of words were chanting inside him, "Ignore them, ignore. Hold it in, bear it a little longer."

When Jongin realized the shift of the air, he turned to Kyungsoo then to Krystal.

"S-Stal, I-I, this is Atty. Do Kyungsoo, He'll fight for your case." Jongin introduced the new Attorney. Kyungsoo smiled, wanting to say, Hey; it's very nice to finally meet the woman that Jongin ever fantasized of, Long time no see, Krystal jung. But instead, he just muttered a low rather enthusiastic, "Hello, It's nice to meet you Mrs. Kim."

Mrs. Kim

Kyungsoo thought that that might be polite.

Krystal just stiffened; she doesn't know where to look. Kyungsoo gave her a reassuring smile and Jongin suddenly noticed the growing vivid tension. Kyungsoo really hoped that this would just end quickly, that Krystal will give her trust to him and not be that awkward, just give their focus on the case.

Krystal finally decided to turn her attention to Jongin, not answering Kyungsoo's greeting. "We talked about this." Krystal murmured, her tone no ruse rather bitter.

Kyungsoo felt a tinge of being unwanted again.

Jongin doesn't know what the right words to say. His mind was fighting if he made the right choice or he made messier this time. He wanted Kyungsoo to leave so that hurtful words might restrain to leave his throat but---

"Trust me on this stal, he's one of the best."

Krystal seemed to refuse. "Hire another lawyer."

"We don't have time." Jongin answered. "Please baby let's work this out---"

Kyungsoo just looked down the marble floor.

At first, krystal thought that it might be a good idea to rant but her thoughts are messed now. "Jongin, I told you a million times that it's not going to work. We're hopeless and now you're taking him here?" Her voice started to rise, "Do you think that conversations would not lead into something personal!?"

Kyungsoo flinched because of her words.

Soo Jung remembers. Kyungsoo thought. She remembered what her mistake is.

Jongin hesitated to answer first, trying to weigh things and lengthen his patience.

Go on. Kyungsoo told Jongin through telepathy, just a bit hoping that Jongin would get his message, just tell her the right words Jongin, make her understand that I'll just be your damn lawyer here. Tell her the truth Jongin, I beg you....

Jongin clenched his fists.

Kyungsoo breathes out, "Go on..." He whispered softly for Jongin to hear. He doesn't mind if his voice is breaking, his throat having a lump. He just wanted this done, done now and not see Jongin again. 

"We don't have time Stal." Jongin starts, "Please try to understand the situation. Nothing would lead into something personal."

Soo Jung felt a tinge of jealousy knowing that she's locked here and not with Jongin, what if Kyungsoo claimed back what's really hers?

"I'm not going to tell him, please leave." She turned to Kyungsoo before crossing her arms.

"Tell her." Kyungsoo's patience was not long enough that got Jongin startled. Jongin was to ask what but he got what Kyungsoo was trying to imply. Kyungsoo just stared at Krystal, leaving Jongin giving him a pitiful glance.

Kyungsoo just bit his lower lip, preparing himself for the painful words that will pass through his ears. Nothing will happen Krystal. Kyungsoo tried to console Soo Jung telepathically and it's at least to tell himself that it's all for his job. But truer words be spoken, he could just ditch her if it wasn't for Jongin begging. 

"Stal," Jongin gathered up his courage. It seemed wrong and insensitive but he doesn't care anymore. Job needed to be done. He feels sorry for Kyungsoo but to think, maybe Kyungsoo had already moved on. Maybe it doesn't hurt anymore. Maybe it's okay to state the fact that he and Kyungsoo were already over, four years over and that he chose to be by his wife's side over the boy beside him.

"I told you that he's just our Lawyer. I even begged him to do this, reached for his contact because I know that he can help us. He's one of the best because for in fact that Kyungsoo..." Jongin gives a short pause. "He doesn't give up that easily on someone."

You remember the fact that I really don't Jongin. Kyungsoo's train of thoughts passed his mind.

"Soo Jung we're over." Jongin gave him wife a sincere gaze. "It's been years, I can't lose you stal. I can't so just please, if I could just turn things the other way around.---" Jongin's voice was breaking. Krystal saw sincerity from her husband that softened her expression.

"Do you trust me?" Jongin asked, pleading. 

 Krystal nodded before the corner of her lips rose. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry Jongin."

"It's okay." Jongin just gave her a heartening grin. He wanted to comfort his wife just now but the glass barrier is making that impossible.

Kyungsoo regret his position now but his Job was the only thing that's making him hold onto this day. Why was he so weak? He reminded himself of what Baekhyun told him, act like a like me kyungiiee, release inner satansoo ho ho ho. He could still hear Baekhyun's voice roaming inside his head.

Krystal was right Jongin, why does it have to be me? What's the sense? Where's the context to it? To just have me feeling this stinging pain again? I've held on for so long Jongin, don't you think that those years are enough? Kyungsoo asked himself. Maybe Jongin wanted him to feel more pain.

Clearing out the scene, Jongin excused himself to have Kyungsoo and Krystal the time they needed.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat; he needed to be professional here. There's no turning back. 

"Hey," Krystal called out. Kyungsoo gave her a wide smile. "Hey back."

Krystal tucked her blonde hair behind her ears. "I-I'm sorry." She seemed shy. "I hope we could keep this working because I think we have less than a week?"

"It depends Mrs. Kim." Kyungsoo hastily answered, trying to keep his voice stable and firm. Those flashbacks of when he first found out that Jongin was indeed cheating replaying like a . "Just a reminder that you needed to be completely honest with me because your side is what I'll be fighting for, what I'll be searching and yearning to win. Lying could be our greatest obstacle."

"I'll tell you everything." Soo Jung replied with no hesitations. She scrunched her nose before smiling. Due the itchy feeling, Kyungsoo spoke once more before hearing his client's story out, he needed to clear out some things.

"I-If you feel uneasy just because his ex is in front of you, please don't. Let's keep this professional. Let's help each other out and---" He said uncomplicated, not minding his words to straighten Krystal's doubts and even if it hurts for Kyungsoo to say this,

 "Jongin loves you very much that he's doing all of this for you."

That's when he caught Krystal's full attention.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"The cctv was broken that day when it happened." Krystal explained that got Kyungsoo sighing. Damn those faulty cctvs, what's the sense of having cctvs when they are just always being corrupted and broken by the criminal? Instead of having a peaceful and easy investigation, it becomes more complicated.

"What date was it?" Kyungsoo questioned, trying to plant inside his system that this is not just Krystal, this is your Job, Focus goddammit.

"The 23rd."

"There are only two witnesses, Yoona and Jiseok." Krystal said, looking straight at Kyungsoo's eyes. "When they got to the room, I became conscious."

Kyungsoo tried to analyze the situation. Some of her words were not yet that convincing and vague.

"The police already investigated, the fingerprints----I don't know how my fingerprints were there. All I know is that I fell unconscious and when I woke up I was already beside the late Sir Lee."

"I'm sorry but I couldn't seem to cope up with your words. You said you fell unconscious that day and then found yourself beside the dead sir lee? Then someone must've knocked you out." Kyungsoo asked, his instincts coming in. "Then based from the investigation and bullet location, he was shot 75 degrees and two bullets aiming for his head and only one for his heart."

"Question is; why are you there?" Kyungsoo asked seriously. Krystal's eyes darted down before answering, "I was visiting Yoona and we met at Jiseok's school that day. The car broke down and she----"

"Every murder can be just a visit." Kyungsoo's voice seemed accusing.

"Yoona Im and Lee Jiseok were cousins, so based from the reports and analysis, your car broke down and Yoona ordered you to go home so that you could fetch them by another car? Tow the other car? When you got home, you searched for the key who happened to be in Sir Lee's room then you suddenly felt unconscious?" Kyungsoo stated her story. It was unclear for him, maybe Krystal was hesitating.

"What if it was Yoona who did that to Sir Lee? After all, Yoona was the one owning the car. She might've set it up. Does she have grudges at you?"

"Impossible, we were close like sisters. No one was at home rather me and I saw Sir Lee's car outside. So we are the only persons inside." Krystal answered briefly.

"So what is your involvement with Sir Lee? No one could accuse a person that easily aside from the murder scene itself."

"He used to be my professor in High School before I transferred. He'd always have that look of---" Krystal pauses. "He had wide interest in me that I loathed him. I used to curse him but he was my professor and Yoona's uncle. Yes, I was one of the people who wished that he would die but I never did it. My words were indistinct."

Kyungsoo massaged his forehead before glancing at the window. The skies were pitch black and angry.

"I already have a conclusion but who else is in that house?"

"No one."

"Other residences."

Krystal bit her lower lip. "Lee Jiseok and Lee Taemin are siblings."

"So where was Taemin that day?" It was Jongin butting in the conversation.

"I-I don't know." Krystal answered, slowly heaving a huge sigh.

Kyungsoo calls it a day for now.

 

 

 

 

The loud thunder crashing down could knock down someone sleeping deeply. Kyungsoo just stared at the window as lightning traces itself on the skyline. He decided to stop the whole investigation thing for a while. He'll just gather some data, police files and such to complete his conclusion.

Although he's having doubts about Krystal's story.

There was something in him that's screaming that there is something wrong with her words or maybe it was just him, maybe it was just him being bitter about his ex and Soo Jung. Maybe that's why he couldn't bring himself to believe and focus was just because he was still hoping,

Hoping for a 2nd chance for him and Jongin.

Kyungsoo shrugged yet again, hitting his head. Fool, don't risk your job because of love. Remember what you chose Kyungsoo...

He needed to focus, set aside his feelings. He needed to accept that everything between him and Jongin is done.

That the last fight is over because now it's just he, himself, fighting.

He, was just the only one holding on. For what?

"For nothing," Kyungsoo breathes out. "Why am I fighting for nothing? I am so hopeless."

He walked out of the edifice without even talking to Jongin, he just wanted some time, alone.

You know that I'm really happy to see you. I'm just this stupid.

They say that acceptance is like where you want to go where everybody knows your name, even if "everybody" is just one person.

"Hyung?" Someone called out when Kyungsoo reached the road. Kyungsoo saw a taxi approaching and saw Jongin on the other side of the road. Drizzle now attacking the city. Kyungsoo pursed his lips.

"Hyung!" Jongin shouted. "Hyung wait!" His voice was loud enough for the older to hear. He actually wanted to talk to Kyungsoo more about his wife but---

Kyungsoo sighed and immediately board the taxi, pretending that he didn't hear him.