Haunted House

Cotton Candy Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon  was pretty proud of her achievement. She had lived in the house for at least 100 years now, and 80 of those years were alone. The other 20 were people looking for a cheap home, who didn't know why it was cheap. It didn't take much to drive them out.

Just a few dropped vases here, a few missing things there, a few of her crawly friends coming in to accompany her plus a bit of rumors and the tenants were gone, and she was alone again.

Just because she was dead didn't mean that the house wasn't hers. It's not her fault there was no family to pass the apartment to, and so the bank took the house. She never gave up the house, except with her death, but that's just a technicality.

Still, she stayed hidden. She was an introverted girl, liked to be alone, the main reason why she kept driving all those not-so-permanent residents out. So she never showed her face and no one knew for sure if there was ever a ghost living there.

However, a few days ago, someone new moved in.

She seemed to be an artist, by all the canvases and papers strewn around everywhere, and not very rich, by the few belongings she brought with her when she moved in.

At first, Taeyeon tried all her normal tactics. Broken windows, open doors, creaky floorsteps, eerie groans(she had to try to make her voice really deep for those), and at first, it seemed to work. The girl-Tiffany, she soon learned by the names on her paper-was terrified. 

But she never moved out.

And neither did Taeyeon.

And now, Taeyeon was sitting there, watching as the girl painted. She was talented, for sure, as she depicted the scene from the kitchen window looking out into the open field, with a picket fence, overrun by a few bushes. She gave the supposedly bright and airy romantic idea of a white picket fenced yard a creepy feel in her painting, as the dark colors seemed to mix into shadows and it looked like monsters could appear behind bushes at any time.

Taeyeon admired Tiffany's profile and how concentrated she was on painting, how satisfied she was when the brush moved just right and how her face seemed to share the mood of the painting as if she immersed herself wholly into her work.

The girl, satisfied with her painting, signed her name on the bottom corner and stood up. Taeyeon quickly hid herself behind the old piano that hadn't been used for years. 

She froze as Tiffany looked towards her curiously, and she didn't dare peek out from behind the instrument. But she was soon gone, and Taeyeon breathed out a sigh of relief when she retreated back into the attic, like she typically did whenever someone moved in.

For the next week, she kept doing the normal things...footsteps in the dusty halls, handprints in empty rooms, creaking and floorboards, but Tiffany didn't seem to mind. Taeyeon once watched as Tiffany stopped next to one of her footprints, then noticed how there wasn't another step after it despite all the dust and nowhere else to walk. She thought she had finally convinced her there was a ghost, but Tiffany just smiled and walked downstairs.

Taeyeon was there every time Tiffany painted. She liked watching the scenes appear on canvas, much like her own did back when she used to paint, back before she ran out of canvas and her paint dried and--well--she died.

Tiffany's paintings were  meaningful and almost always dark and creepy. To be honest, they scared Taeyeon a little and she was a ghost. Though she never was fond of horror movies, even as a human.

As time went by, Taeyeon slowly stopped trying to push the girl away because god, Tiffany was cute. She didn't have many visitors, but she was always so nice to her neighbors and she was always so bright and happy to everyone, even if her paintings were the opposite. Taeyeon admitted to herself that she may have a smal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter