Help

Cotton Candy Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany checked her purse, making sure that she had everything she needed before she went out to lunch. Phone, wallet, phone charger, lipstick, keys, sketchbook, pencil and pen. All check.

Walking over to the mirror mounted on her closet door, she checked her makeup and her hair- not that she really needed to. She was just meeting Sunny for coffee, after all.

Still, being the perfectionist she was, she checked. And yep- it was all perfect. Not a smudge or strand out of place. Satisfied, she opened the door of her dorm and made her way out, making sure to lock her doors behind her.

A lot of people call her a perfectionist. Her coworkers and classmates would call her nit picky, or fussy. People she scolded for their imperfection would consider her .

She didn't mind too much. It's what had gotten her into this prestigious university anyways.

She walked across campus alone, enjoying the pretty scenery and looking at the people walking out. She was a fashion major, so she rather enjoyed scrutinizing the outfits of everyone around her, looking for inspiration in the outfits of everyone around her. Of course, nothing any non fashion major student wore could match up to her perfectionist standards, but inspiration could be found in the simplest things.

In fact, one of the most basic things to consider in fashion was nature, and the red and orange autumn leaves were already stirring up ideas in her mind. In her mind, she imagined an autumn colored leather jacket- pumpkin, grey, or maroon, probably, and a simple white shirt inside to balance it out.. Definitely heels with a color to match the coat. leggings, or maybe jeans if the weather was cold.

Saving the idea in the back of her mind, she hurried on towards her destination- she didn't want to be late, after all.

And she wasn't. Sunny waved at her through te window, and Tiffany hurried to join her.

"Perfectly on time as always, Fany-ah." The girl looked at her watch. "11:30 on the dot. I don't know how you do it."

Tiffany shrugged. "If i'm late, walk faster. If I'm early, I can take my time."

"You mean stare creepily at people? I saw you eyeing that guy walking by the cafe earlier, and if I hadn't known about your habits of staring at random outfits, I would've thought you were interested in him."

"He wasn't even that fashionable," Tiffany muttered.

"Then why stare?" Sunny replied, a smug grin growing when Tiffany couldn't find anything to reply to that.

"I'm going to go buy the coffee," Tiffany murmured in defeat, changing the subject.

"Order me a coffee while you're at it?"

Tiffany nodded, making the order. She paid for it before coming back, sitting down across Sunny again.

Oh my god, where's my phone?!

The sudden thought shocked Tiffany and she scrambled to look in her bag, panic growing when she couldn't locate the device. She saw a glimmer in her bag and pulled it out of the bottom, sighing in relief.

"Did you forget something?" Sunny asked, surprise clear in her voice.

"No, I didn't. My phone's right here." she waved the phone at her, tossing it into her bag again.

"Did you need it or something? You're usually super sure that you have everything before your perfectionist self leaves the house."

"No, I didn't need it," she sighed. "And I just looked through my bag to pay for the coffee too," she remembered when the barista called her name. She got up to go to the pick up station, coming back with two coffees.

"What's up with you, Tiffany? You're usually so on top of things, not that you aren't anymore, but this isn't like you."

"I know," Tiffany groaned.

"It happened a lot last week too, in class, when you thought you lost your pencil just as it started...and when you thought you forgot your wallet that time but didn't...and the laptop..."

"It's killing me too, Sunny. Literally every few hours, there's a little voice in my head that asks, "Where's this thing that you made sure you had earlier?" and I swear I have anxiety or something. It's been going on for like, three weeks now, and it's driving me nuts! I keep second guessing myself, it's crazy."

Sunny sat back in the chair, tapping her chin thoughtfully.

"Fany, have you ever considered your soulmate?"

Tiffany almost spit out her coffee.

"What?! My soulmate? Why would I consider them when I have no idea who they are?"

Sunny leaned forward, her elbows on the table. "Think about it. A little voice in your head? Panicking? Sound familiar?"

It did make sense. Emergency telepathy was common between soulmates; they'd been told about it ever since they were kids. Basically, when your soulmate is in genuine distress, you could hear some of their distressed thoughts in your head. In high school biology class, they learned that it likely evolved as a way for people to warn their soulmate or to call an emergency life saver, but it mostly just drove parents nuts- sometimes babies would cry for absolutely no reason, and they eventually figured out it was because they were reacting to their soulmates' distress. And god, babies are always upset.

What didn't make sense was the fact that her soulmate was presumably a college student- someone around the same age as her, at least- feeling the most genuine distress over losing things. 

Sunny must have seen the confused look on her face, because she burst out laughing in the little cafe, trying in vain to stifle herself.

"What am I supposed to do with this information now?" Tiiffany asked, because really, there wasn't a way to find her soulmate or anything. She couldn't just fake a distress signal, because it's not like its all that easy to trick your own brain into feeling fake distress.

Sunny leaned back in her chair, arms crossed over her chest with a little smirk. "So, is it a boy or a girl?"

"What? You can tell?"

"You hear their voice in your head, right? Not yours?"

"I'm not really sure..." Tiffany mused. She didn't particularly want that to be true, because if she couldn't tell between her own thoughts and her soulmate's thoughts... that meant.."

Sunny pulled out her phone to check, showing Tiffany her phone, google pulled up with the question "Soulmate's voice in head theirs?"

The answer, in bold, said "The voice you hear in your head will typically be your soulmate's, not yours..."

"I'm gay?!" Tiffany asked to herself, forgetting Sunny's presence, but the girl burst out laughing again anyways.

"I guess all of your old boy toys were outta luck, eh?"

"They weren't my boy toys, as you called them."

"Boyfriend, boy toys, doesn't matter now, cause my Miyoungie's gonna get a girlfriend instead!"

Tiffany was sitting in her bedroom, working on some design sketches.

The drawing was okay, but it was fit for only a very specific body type, and Tiffany was going for inclusive fashion as her project this semester- something she was deeply invested and interested in- so she tossed out the piece of paper and redrew it, on a less idealistic model.

It still looked good, and she made sure to accentuate the curves instead of trying to hide the fat in her designs. The goal of the project, in her eyes, was not to make big models fit into clothes that made them look slim- no, it was show that beauty and fashion was regardless of body size.

She was focused on her work, having struck on some inspiration, when another "distress signal" came in.

I can't forget this time. Charger. Bed. I've lost five chargers already. Charger. Bed.

Tiffany tried to ignore it, but subconsciously, she drew a little bed onto the design for no apparent reason. Sighing, she erased it, writing on the bottom corner of her paper.

Soulmate: Charger>bed

The voice went away, and she went back to work without a hitch, perfecting the drawing quickly.

Simple dresses, fancy dresses, with designs that accentuated the chest and without making the waist uncomfortably skinny- without making the need to look skinny important at all.

Inspired by the designs she had already completed- because there were always more improvements to their designs- she filled the pages with colors and patterns, skinny models, plus size models, short models, tall models, it was the most mismatched set she had ever seen- and yet, the collection matched well together.

Satisfied, she stood up and stretched, putting her stuff into the backpack that matched her style that day- she herself usually went for a classy style, but as it was was fall, she thougt a more student-oriented look would be cute: a pumpkin scarf, grey cardigan with a white tee, black leggings tucked into boots. and a matching pumpkin backpack.

She was about to put her books away when she heard the voice in her head again.

Charger! Where's my charger? D-did I lose it again?

There were pauses between the panicked thoughts, as if someone was breathing hard between their words.

Tiffany quickly pulled out her sketchbook, flipping to that page where she knew she had written the location of her soulmate's missing charger.

IT'S ON THE BED. IT'S ON THE BED.

No matter how hard she thought, her soulmate continued to panic. 

What if i can't charge my phone tonight? I have that trip tomorrow! I need my phone! What if I get lost without my phone?

Getting increasingly frustrated, and feeling second hand distress from her soulmate's freaking out episode, she desperately thought,

BED. BED. BED. BED. BED.

God, I must be sleepy, she heard, and she almost slammed her head into her desk. I can't fall asleep without finding my charger to charge my phone in my sleep! But maybe taking a nap will clear my mind.

There was a pause in the thoughts, before she heard again, 

Hey, it was in my bed! Thanks, mind, I guess I'm getting better at not losing things.

Tiffany almost cried. She collapsed into her chair, utterly exhausted from that emotional rollercoaster. And at the end of it all, her soulmate thought it was her own mind telling her things.

Are you ing serious.

"I'm proud of you, Taeyeon-ah."

Taeyeon turned towards Sunny, question marks practically coming out of her ears. "What, why?"

"You seem to have gotten more organized over the year."

"What do you mean?"

"I still remember when you used to forget things and lose things all the time. You haven't lost that pencil in two months."

Taeyeon looked down at her pencil. "Huh, you're right."

"So you haven't been doing anything different?"

Taeyeon sat down, thinking. She didn't really do anything different, not really. Well, except she made those little mental notes in her head now reminding herself where things were and that seemed to help.

"I don't know. I mean, I started making mental notes in my head like, I'm leaving my pencil here. Don't lose it. And then later, when I'm looking for it, my mind is just like, It's there!"

Sunny raised her eyebrow. "You just remember now?"

"Well, this little voice in my head kind of screams at me. But yeah, essentially."

Sunny suddenly chuckled. God, no wonder why they were soulmates.

"What are you laughing about, Sunny?"

"Nothing," Sunny grinned. "I think I want to introduce someone to you, though."

Tiffany made her way to that cute little cafe again. Sunny had invited her out to coffee as a short study break, and she had eagerly accepted. She hadn't seen her friend in a while, other than in class, and she was eager for a break from thinking.

She was there a little early, uncharacteristic for the normally perfectly on time girl, but she really wanted the excuse to take a study break.

Sitting down at one of the corner tables, a comfy booth with a chair across from it, Tiffany grabbed a menu, deciding on what she wanted.

Wallet: in the big pocket. Phone: back pocket. Oh! Bag of coupons and gift cards! front pocket.

Tiffany smiled. The thoughts had become a rather welcome presence over these few months. If her soulmate kept doing it, it must be working for her, and Tiffany was glad that she could be of some use. Plus, the cute, concentrated voice was much better than the panicking, crying voice in her head from before, when her soulmate kept actually losing things.

Taking out the notebook she brought everywhere, she flipped to a certain page where she had started logging all the thoughts, just in case she lost the piece of paper or forgot which of her many sketchbooks the latest note was scribbled in when her soulmate needed it. She wrote down the latest set of thoughts

Wallet- big pocket. Phone- pocket. Coupons- front pocket.

Putting the list away, she got op to order her drink while she waited. Sipping lightly on the hot coffee, she pulled out her phone while she waited for her friend.

"Hey- Sorry I'm late," she heard Sunny's voice and looked up, smiling at her friend, who sat down across from her.

"No problem, I was early anyways."

Sunny mock-gasped. "Tiffany Hwang? Early? What is this?"

"Oh shut up," Tiffany rolled her eyes. "Early is better than late. And I really wanted to stop studying."

"Yeah, I get it. Finals are killing me too, and they're not even here yet."

"Yeah. Hey, you wanna order your drink? I can wait here- I already got mine while I waited."

"Nah. Actually, I'm waiting for some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter