First Day High

I've Never Been This Close

Annyeong, let me just share to you a video of a local band named Kamikazee. This song was once used as a theme for a certain deodorant commercial. Title of the song's "First Day High." 

Anyway, the message of the song is that, just be confident and be yourself (especially on your first day of school). I'll not place the whole song, just the catchphrase of the song.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvM6wq8wJ8)

Umaapaw sa talino, (Overflowing intelligence)
Do the brainy high,
Kung mayaman si papa, (If Daddy is rich)
Do the saucy high,
Pagmahilig ka sa sports, (For the sports-minded)
Do the MVP high,
Kung cool ka at astig, (If you're cool and got some swag)
Do the rebel high,
Pag solid sa bait, (For the really nice crowd)
Do the nice guy high,
Itaas ang kamay (Raise your hands)

 

*****

The new school year, first semester.

The four guys entered the campus, feeling confident that they will eventually fit in the cool campus. Sure, they still have a bit of the country boy demeanor, but they will get used to being city boys.

As the walked, girls stopped to look at them, and the guys could see that the girls all sighed with love at their cuteness.

"Ya, aren't they the new band who sang last Saturday?"

Uh-oh....

"Yes, it's them!"

The girls shrieked as they crowded around the flower boys. The sweety girls started asking for their names and autographs, and whether they have girlfriends.

"Ah, mianhae... can we pass?" Yong Hwa politely asked.

The girls were all dreamy-eyed as they tailed behind the boys and followed them to the Science and Engineering department.

"Ohh~~~ are they Engineering students?" one girl asked. 

"Engineering guys are so cool," another said.

The guys took the same courses too and ended up as classmates as well. When they got inside the room, they were relieved that most of their classmates were guys.

"Annyeong haseyo?" everyone greeted one another.

The four guys settled and tried to make friends with the other guys. Only a few girls were there, mostly, the not-so-girly girls.

Later that day, they went to the dean of the college and asked her regarding extracurricular activities.

"Oh, I think I saw you last Saturday at the local square," the dean said. 

"Uh...ne..." Yong Hwa answered for the group.

"Well, we allow school bands here. In fact, the Business and Economics department has their own band. So far, that is the only band here," the dean shared.

The guys faced some competition here. However, the principal told them that extra-curricular activities are very much welcome, especially when done outside the school.

"Next month will be the school foundation day, and we will be having some presentation," the dean said. "You can perform for the whole school."

Yong and the guys looked hopeful and congratulated each other.

"We will do our best, Yang-seonsaengnim," Jong Hyun replied.

****

Lunch time.

"Can you hear my stomach?' Min Hyuk complained. "I am so hungry..."

"You are always hungry," Jung Shin retorted.

As the two guys were pulling each other's hair, Jong Hyun jabbed Yong and pointed at a certain girl.

"She knows how to eat lunch, after all," Jong Hyun said.

Shin Hye was carrying her lunch tray and tried to find a vacant seat. They saw that she did not have any friends at all, and Jong Hyun felt sorry for her.

"Shin Hye-ya!" he called out.

Shin Hye saw them, and hesitated when Jong Hyun pointed the seat between him and Yong Hwa. She shook her head, but Jong Hyun got up and coaxed her to join.

"We're your housemates, right?"

Shin Hye was finally convinced, and sat down between the two guitarists.

"Just the same at home, I will not talk when I eat," she warned them.

They let her do as she pleased while they talked. She learned that the dean of the Engineering department had told them about the school foundation day for next month, and that it was allowed for them to join. Just then, some girls crowded at their table.

"~~Oppa, please go on a date with me?" one girl asked.

"Me too, Oppa," the others begged.

Each of the girls were asking each of the guys out on a date, when suddenly, one of the es noticed Shin Hye (finally noticed) sitting in between the pretty hotties.

"Ya, you Granny Goose! Why are you sitting between the two Oppas?" the first girl asked.

Shin Hye rolled her eyeballs and stood up.

"Do you mind leaving these people alone to eat without disturbance?"

The guys looked up at her, but the girls snapped.

"You are so ugly, and yet you allowed yourself to be flocked with the four hotties?" the leader of the girls asked. "That's an insult to the beautiful girls!"

"Just because you look like the girl in the centerfold of AxEL magazine, it doesn't mean that you could be an airhead already!"

Shin Hye rolled her eyeballs and pointed at the leader.

"You. I have heard that in high school, your math grades were so bad that you had three consecutive remedial classes just to get your matrix right!"

"Mwo???? How...how dare you insult me?" the leader snapped.

And to another girl, Shin Hye insulted them with the knowledge she gathered from rumors regarding their math and science grades.

"You even begged the teacher to raise your scores in Korean literature," Shin Hye said. "Some little bird told me you even clung to the teacher, while she tried to fight for dear life to get out of the school gates just to go home, and she was dragging you around the campus."

One girl slapped her because she was too much.

"How dare you!" that girl asked.

Shin Hye flipped her hair and fixed her nerdy glasses.

"How dare I? How dare I? Huh, I could dare, because you all started it," was her sarcastic remark.

She sat down silently and continued eating her meal.

"And for your information, what can I do if these guys are living in the same house as I do?" she coolly asked.

Lightning struck the bevy of pretty girls to learn that information.

"Joesonghamnida," Yong Hwa told the girls. "Could you please let us eat in peace?"

Because of the plea of the handsome leader, the girls melted again and shed tears as they left the group. They were so spiteful to learn that the ugly granny girl was actually housemates with the handsome guys.

"Shin Hye-ya, gomawo..." Min Hyuk said to her in tears.

The other guys save for Yong thanked her also for saving them and giving them a chance to eat in peace, and she just nodded her affirmation. Only Yong Hwa was a bit disappointed.

"Aish, with what you are doing, you are making us lose some probable fans," he blamed her.

Shin Hye finished her food and drank her water. Then, she turned to him.

"Why are you blaming me? And did I tell you not to disturb me when I eat?" she snapped. "And besides, I don't care if you lose fans."

"Shin Hye-ya, that's so cruel!" Jung Shin stood up and pounded at the table as he spoke back at her.

She just looked at him coolly before replying that it could not be helped.

"You will not lose fans if all these shallow girls want are pretty guys," she told them. "So don't worry."

She stood up and went away. Yong Hwa was too hot in anger that he grabbed her arm in front of other people.

"Did you know that you just killed our career even before we could even start?" he shouted at her.

Shin Hye pulled his hand away and retorted.

"It doesn't concern me anymore. And besides, pretty boys get to have all the pretty girls, so don't worry, your career won't die."

He stared at her in anger.

"Why do you even concern yourself with an ugly girl?" Shin Hye asked him back.

With that, Yong Hwa looked at her in shock. He did call her ugly, so why was he affected? He looked at her as she stormed off the lunch hall.

"I had been trying my best to hold my temper," Jong Hyun said. "But she is too much!"

"I agree," Min Hyuk said.

Jung Shin noticed that their band leader was breathing hard like a bull.

"Yong Hwa-ya, gwaenchanha?"

Yong Hwa turned to the bassist and nodded in anger.

"I'll show her," he vowed. "I'll show her the wrath of Jung Yong Hwa."

The other guys looked at each other ominously.

******

The rest of the day went on smoothly, and they planned that they start to play in the streets for starters on weekends. The girl fans grew by the number despite what had happened at the lunch room that lunch time.

"Ahhhh.... time to go home," Jung Shin sighed happily.

"I could smell the dinner that Bom-noona is cooking for us," Min Hyuk sighed.

"Gaja," Jong Hyun said to the guys.

They did not bother Yong Hwa, who was still nursing a grudge at Shin Hye for the rest of the day.

 

~~~~