Family Day

I've Never Been This Close

Yong Hwa, Jin Young, Shin Hye, Bom, and Jong Hyun accompanied the visitors upstairs, with the two young men carrying the baggages for the elders. 

"Oh, I thought my daughter would grow up to be another Ugly Betty," Shin Hye's eomeoni said.

"She has changed," Jin Young said. "She decided to wear chic clothing."

Eomma went to Yong Hwa and asked. "Is it because of you, my dear?"

Yong Hwa felt his cheeks heating up, so he shook his head.

"She just decided to change on her own," he told the eomeoni.

Eomma liked Yong Hwa for a son-in-law, so she pinched his cheeks and turned to her nampyeon (hubby).

"Yeobo, I want him for a son-in-law," Eomma squealed excitedly.

"Ohohoh," Jin Dong roared with laughter like Mojacko's daddy. "Me too! He is such a handsome young man who fits well with our beautiful daughter."

"Eomma!" Shin Hye frowned.

"Well, we cannot help it," Eomma said. "Yong Hwa, we have to meet your parents so we can arrange the marriage as early as now."

"Mwo?" Yong Hwa asked, his skin suddenly becoming pale.

"Eomma! Yong Hwa and I just got together recently," Shin Hye told them. "Please don't rush into things!"

"Ohohoho!!!!" Jin Dong-appa roared with laughter. "It was just a joke, Shin Hye-ya. Of course, we want you and Yong Hwa to enjoy each other's company and not to get married in a jiffy."

"Just don't give 'it' to him just yet, Shin Hye-ya," Eomma said with a wink.

Yong Hwa and Shin Hye exactly knew what the eomeoni was saying, so Shin Hye replied with a frown. "Arayo!"

The young man opened the door next to Jin Young's room and let the elders enter first before he entered the room with the bag. Meanwhile, Jong Hyun was just listening to Shin Hye's family talking, as Bom and her parents were just silent along the way. He politely opened the door for the elders. Like Yong Hwa, he let the elders get in first before he got in and placed the bag.

"Lee Jong Hyun," Jin Won said to the young man. "You can leave now."

Jong Hyun bowed low before leaving. The abeoji looked at the young man go, then closed the door. He instructed his wife and his daughter to sit down for a serious talk.

"Is that young man courting you?" Appa asked Bom.

Though blushing, Bom denied, stating that she didn't prefer younger guys. Eomma looked at her in the eyes, but Bom did her hardest to look back.

"How about that wet cat kid and that long haired guy?" Eomma asked seriously. "Did they court you too?"

"Ah, anio, Eomma...Appa," Bom said.

Appa softened up.

"Bom, I will tell you the truth," Appa said. "Behind the reason why I didn't want Lee Jung Hee for you."

"I know," Bom said. "It is because I am still in school."

"That is one thing, Bom, but it is not the real reason," Eomma said.

Eomma and Appa looked at each other.

"You know, Jung Hee's family," Appa said. "Is a political opponent of your Eomma's brother. I don't want my daughter to be entangled in a relationship with a political opponent."

Bom, ever obedient, understanding, and kind, nodded her head.

"Is that so, Appa?" she asked gently.

"Ne," Eomma said. "When you were in high school, my Oppa entered politics, you remember?"

Bom nodded. 

"And Oppa's opponent, Kim Dong Won, is the immediate cousing of Jung Hee's father," Eomma said. "That is why we don't want you or him to get into each other's affairs."

Bom knew that information just now, but she did her best to understand.

"I understand, Eomma, Appa," she obediently said. "Even if I did not understand it at first, I did my  best to rationalize why it ever happened, why you broke us apart. We had our closure, and whether or not we talk or not, I won't cry anymore."

Eomma held her hand and asked.

"Are you sure your heart is all right with it?" she asked her daughter. "Because it seems to me that you are not."

Bom smiled sweetly--so sweet that it breaks your heart.

"I guess I have moved on, Eomma," she said. "We don't have the same majors anyway...so it doesn't matter."

"What is this I have heard," Appa interrupted. "That you hang out at Red Sky even if you know he and his band play there? Are you finding trouble?"

Bom smiled. "Anio, Appa. I just like the place and the food. I enjoy their music still even if Jung Hee and I are apart."

"Are you being a martyr?" Appa asked.

"Anio, Appa," she replied. "I just want to enjoy good music. And now, I have more reason to enjoy it because Yong Hwa and the guys play there."

Eomma's eyes flashed like lightning.

"That young man, Jong Hyun," she said to Bom. "Honestly, does he like you?"

And Bom was forced to admit.

"Ne...." she spoke rather softly.

"What year is he in? He looks younger than you," Appa asked.

"He and the guys are in first year," Bom said. "I told him and the others not to court me because of our s."

"Well done, Bom, well done," Appa praised her. "I don't want you to be dating younger guys. It is good that guys are older than the girls."

Bom frowned slightly. "But you are younger than Eomma by four years!"

Appa cleared his throat at his daughter's rudeness.

"That was different," Eomma said. "Our marriage was fixed eversince we were students. But fortunately, we learned to love each other..."

"But Eomma, Appa, can love be learned?" she asked her parents.

Her parents did not know what to say. Bom bit her lips in sadness, because she started feeling something for Jong Hyun. But she also started feeling something for Jung Shin and Min Hyuk as well.

Maybe it's just crush, or feeling of fondness for three younger guys....

"We don't want to get into your love affairs, Bom," Appa said. "But the way I see it, Jong Hyun looks good for you... If only he wasn't younger than you."

"Appa!" Bom ed.

*****

Dinner time.

The elders talked all they want, and this was one opportunity that the others had to follow what Shin Hye did everytime they eat. Soon, Shin Hye's Eomma and Appa were teasing Yong Hwa and Shin Hye.

"So, so, where did you meet?" Eomma daughter. "You never told me about it, eh?"

"Eomma, can I just tell you later?" Shin Hye cringed. 

"What's wrong with now?" Appa joked. "After all, Yong Hwa will soon be family."

Yong Hwa choked, and Jiyeon tapped her oppa's back hard.

"Gwaenchanhayo, Oppa?" the youngest Park asked, and Yong Hwa nodded.

"See? Even Yong Hwa is shocked!" Jin Dong laughed heartily. "I cannot wait for a wedding!"

"Ooohh!!! I love weddings!" Shin Hye's Eomma said excitedly.

"Eomma!" Shin Hye said with a blush.

"Me too!" Bom's Eomma also said.

"Look here," Jin Young said with amusement. "Only the women are excited about the wedding, but the kids are not even ready, ahahahah.."

The three young men stared helplessly at Yong Hwa, who was starting to get red. Even his ears looked red.

"See? Yong Hwa's a bit embarrassed already," Shin Hye frowned. "Please stop it."

But her parents won't stop. They were imagining what sort of cute little babies Shin Hye would bear for him. Would they resemble her, or would they resemble Yong Hwa?

"Yong Hwa, how many babies do you want?" Shin Hye's Appa asked him. "You and Shin Hye can make many when the two of you will get married."

"H..huh?" Yong Hwa asked in embarrassment.

"Appa!" Shin Hye frowned at her father after seeing that Yong Hwa was very embarrassed already.

"Mianhae, Shin Hye-ya," Eomma said. "It is the only way we could have you talk during mealtime."

Shin Hye cringed--she had been outsmarted. The other guys hid their laughter.

"Shin Hye-ya, everyone knows you are smart," Jin Dong said to his daughter. "So you really know that if the offspring is smart, it is because of good genes, eh?"

Shin Hye cringed again, while the elders (save for Jin Won) laughed at the cuteness of Yong Hwa and Shin Hye. Even Jong Hyun laughed, but then, his attention was diverted to Bom, who was starting to play with her food.

Jong Hyun's POV

Bommie? She looks sad....

End of POV

*****

After dinner, Jong Hyun offered to help Bom wash the dishes. Throughout the chore, Jong Hyun tried to tell some jokes, but Bom was unresponsive and melancholic--the first time he saw her like this.

*****

*****

.

.

.

.

Kyaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Jung Shin rapped in this vid (One Time)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVoOhrKfbXM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL