What Can I Do?

I've Never Been This Close

When the guys got inside the house, they saw the principal coming down the stairs, and they greeted the elder Park politely. 

"How's first day of school?" he asked the young men.

They said it was all right, leaving out the detail about the incident at the lunch room. Then, they went to their rooms to park their bags.

When they got out of the room, they went to the kitchen, with the intent of helping Bom in cooking. To their dismay, it was Shin Hye cooking dinner.

"Is it poisoned?" Yong Hwa challenged her.

Shin Hye raised an eyebrow as she retrieved a spoon.

"You want me to try?' she challenged him back.

Yong Hwa only stared at her, angry stare by angry stare. She scooped some of the viand and tried to place it to her lips, but the other guys ran to her and tried to stop her from eating. Nevertheless, she ate the food, much to their dismay.

"Why would I even poison it?" she asked Yong Hwa. "Will I even have plans of poisoning my uncle and my cousins?"

Jong Hyun knew better than to raise more ire, so he offered to prepare the dinner table. The other guys also helped him out, while Yong Hwa just stood like a supervisor. He watched as Shin Hye dexterously plated her finished dishes. He felt he was Takano Kyouhei, looking at the ugly Sunako cooking delicious foods.

"She is interesting," Yong Hwa thought. "I thought she just spends all her time reading math books and solving math problems."

He went over to the stove and helped her transfer some rice to a large bowl.

"I'll do it," she stiffly said.

"No, let me," he insisted stubbornly.

The guys looked at the two bickering over the simple chore of serving rice, but Yong Hwa won the skirmish. As he covered the pot, he accidentally brushed his hand at the hot pot. He took his hand away and shook his hand.

"Gwaenchanha?' Shin Hye panicked.

He grimaced in pain as he nodded. Shin Hye grabbed his hand and dragged him to the faucet, where she flushed his hand with running water.

"Hyung, gwaenchanha?" Min Hyuk asked.

"Ya, I am not your hyung!" Yong Hwa chided his bandmate. "Aw! Be careful!"

"I am being careful, all right?" Shin Hye told him as she continued administering first aid.

The rest of the guys continued setting the table. Yong Hwa felt that his hand was all right, so he turned off the tap, got his hand off from Shin Hye, and dashed out of the kitchen.

****

He stayed at the front porch and nursed his burnt hand. He was still having a grudge against Shin Hye, but why was she helping him? She made it clear that they would not cross paths, right?

Unknown to him, Shin Hye stood by the front door, looking at him.

"What is this I am feeling?" she thought. "What can I do?"

The gate opened, and Bom came in.

"Annyeong, Noona," Yong greeted.

Bom smiled her demure smile, then took a look at Shin Hye. "Oh, Shin Hye-ya? Anything wrong?"

Yong Hwa turned around and saw Shin Hye standing by the door.

"Ah, nothing, Eonni, I just came the moment I heard the gate open," she lied.

Yong Hwa stole a glance at Shin Hye, wondering if she had been there all along. She did not notice that he was looking at her. He just looked at the cousins meeting at the door.

"Dinner is ready!" Min Hyuk called out to them.

Bom turned to Yong Hwa and beckoned him to come. The young lad went to the elder girl, who noticed that some bad vibes between the two were brewing.

"Did the two of you fight?" she asked.

"Ne," "Anio," Yong Hwa and Shin Hye replied simultaneously. 

"Yes, or No?" Bom asked in confusion.

"Anio," Shin Hye said first.

Yong looked at the elder Park in guilt before shaking his head.

"Be good friends, all right?" Bom said as she tapped her own cheeks cutely. "We will  be staying in the house for many years."

She left the two by the door, and the two of them stole glances. But both of them were too proud, so Shin Hye marched to the dining room first. Yong Hwa stalled for a moment before following her to the dining room.

 

~~~~