Scars

I've Never Been This Close

The gang met at Min Hyuk's house since it was near the lake, and they went there together. The day was a bit sunny, so they stayed under the trees.

"Wow!!!! So this is how a lake looks like," Jiyeon said.

"Three kilometers from here, you'd see a river," Jung Shin said.

"River?" Jiyeon asked. "I have never seen a river either."

"I'd take you there," he offered.

"Hwa.... Jung Shin-eonni, you are the best," she squealed. "I envy Jung Eun for being with you...."

Bom and Jong Hyun spread out the mats so that they could place their food baskets comfortably. As they all sat down, Yong Hwa brought out his guitar, and he and Jong Hyun began singing love songs for their ladies. Jung Shin did not bring his bass guitar along, so he contented himself with just listening, and of course, Min Hyuk just tapped on the bark of the tree for his drums.

*****

Shin Hye and Jiyeon strolled around the vicinity to look for flowers. Finally, they found one near the waters, but the flowers were near jagged rocks, and the landscape was steep.

"Don't go, Eonni," Jiyeon said. "Let's just forget about it."

"I agree," Shin Hye said.

But as she turned around, she lost her footing, and she slipped.

"Eonni!!!!" Jiyeon screamed.

She stood in shock, then ran after Shin Hye, who rolled to the rocks. She was all shocked when Shin Hye's face hit the rocks, and the next thing Jiyeon knew, blood was over the rocks.

"What happened?" Yong Hwa ran to her.

When he saw Shin Hye by the rocks, he screamed her name, then went down gingerly to help his yeoja. When he got there, the others got to the scene, and Bom shrieked in hysteria.

"Shin Hye!" the other guys got down.

The landscape was too steep, but the guys were adept in getting down to help. They saw Yong Hwa carrying her in his arms and rushing to the running waters.

"Is she conscious?" Jong Hyun asked, a bit in panic.

Bom and Jiyeon gingerly got down to the river and watched Yong Hwa cleaning Shin Hye's wounds.

"Uh~~~ what happened?" Shin Hye finally spoke.

Yong Hwa heaved a sigh. He had tried to check for any signs of her life before rushing to the water, and good thing, he found her breathing, and her neck had pulse. He was just worried that she passed out. And she had passed out for two minutes.

"You are not all right," Yong Hwa said, furiously flooding her neck with water.

He checked her face and found a four-inch abrasion from the front of her ear running down to her chin. The rock was jagged and sharp, but it gave her a wound with a definite pattern. Hot tears fell from his eyes as he tried to wash the blood off her face, but it looked like the blood would not clot. 

Jiyeon stepped into the scene, opening a fresh feminine pad and placing it on Shin Hye's wound after Yong Hwa flooded her face with water.

"If in case you'd wonder why I have this one," Jiyeon explained to Yong Hwa sheepishly. "It's my period."

He looked at Jiyeon applying pressure on Shin Hye's wound with her hand pushing the feminine pad in place. Jiyeon was hoping that Shin Hye's blood would clot because all the high school student had in her pocket was one last pad. The guys did not have an idea that feminine pads could be used in place of bandages in case of emergencies. Yong Hwa held his girlfriend into his arms while Jiyeon continued applying pressure to her cousin's wound.

"We'd better take her to the clinic," Yong Hwa sobbed.

He and Jiyeon worked in unison as they gingerly ascended the steep hill. The night before, he and Shin Hye had been happy looking at the waters and the heavenly beings. He had no idea that their picnic would turn out like this.

******

Shin Hye received attention at the local clinic, and good thing, her wound was not that deep. It was a dirty wound, and she was adviced to go back to the clinic everyday for the cleaning and dressing.

When they got back to the house, she looked at herself in the mirror. The dressing over her wound made her look like she had been operated on for nodules. At least, it was not on her cheeks.

"I had been the ugly duckling for most of my life," she said to herself. "And I am not a kelloid former. If I form scars, I don't care."

Yong Hwa went to her as she was in deep thought in front of the mirror. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"What are you thinking?" he whispered.

Shin Hye told him what she was thinking.

"I may be the by-the-book, math exacting girl," she said. "But if a scar will form in my face, I won't have it Photoshopped away. I will have it as my signature. I want it natural..."

He saw how strong she had been, with no trace of tears on her face.

"You are strong, Shin Hye," he told her.

"The pain of my face scratched against the rock was nothing compared to the pain of high school," she said. "The pain on my face is nothing compared to the pain of dying...which I felt when I tried to kill myself."

He let go of his grip on her.

"You...did?" he asked in shock.

She told him what happened back in high school, and she explained the reason why Bom was greatly worried for her during the time that she got extremely jeaous of Hyori for dancing with him.

"My emotions could get strong, that is why I have to learn to control it," she said. "I am an OC person....but I have to learn to accept the things that will never change, like a scar that might form on my face."

As the two of them looked at themselves in the mirror, he smiled as he kissed her hair.

"Whatever the outcome, you'll always be y and beautiful to me," he said. "Your scar will add aura and uniqueness to you."

Shin Hye smirked. "At least my wound is not on my cheek."

Deep inside, she was a bit sad because she had been used to seeing her flawless face, but now a scar would be a reminder to her that she could still be perfect in her own way. And the important thing was, Yong Hwa still loved her.

Everyday, she went to the clinic faithfully to have her wound dressed. Finally, the doctor, upon seeing that her wound was getting well, taught her how to dress her wound herself.

"Gamsahamnida, Uisa-seonsaengnim," she said to the doctor.

 

 

~~~~