Saturday Trip

I've Never Been This Close

The three females in the house did the general cleaning in the house, and the boarders helped them as well. The principal left because he had some things to attend to in school.

Just as they were cleaning the front yard, Min Hyuk declared that he could not wait to play in front of an audience.

"I miss playing the drums," Min Hyuk sighed.

"My bass guitar is itching to sing," Jung Shin sighed.

"I miss my guitar too," Jong Hyun said.

"And I miss the voice of the crowd," Yong Hwa sighed.

"Oppa, you play in a band?" Jiyeon asked them, and they nodded. "Daebak!"

"You should try playing in the local square tonight," Bom suggested. "The organizer of the event tonight is my friend."

"Wahhhh, jinjja?" Min Hyuk asked. "I love it!"

Bom snatched her cellphone so that she could call her friend. They listened to her as she talked, and after the call, Bom told them that they are in for tonight.

"Whohoooo!!!!" the guys said as they exchanged high-fives.

Shin Hye got out from the kitchen, and Jiyeon asked her if she would watch the show tonight.

"I am not sure if I could come home early from--er, the library," she told Jiyeong bluntly. "What show, by the way?"

"The guys will be playing as a band tonight," Bom said happily.

"Band?" Shin Hye asked, then looked at the boys.

Jong Hyun did his best to be polite as he talked to her. "Come on, Shin Hye-ya, come and watch us perform tonight."

Shin Hye hesitated, but snatched a glance at Yong Hwa, who also glanced at her.

"Geuge... I am not sure," she told Jong Hyun with her glance still at Yong Hwa. "I am busy."

Yong Hwa got his glance off her, and she could see that he was a bit disappointed. A pang of hurt began tugging her heart. What was this she was feeling?

"Eonni, I just hope that you will be able to watch us still," Min Hyuk begged.

"Eonni?????" Shin Hye snapped. "Huh! You don't even know how to address someone!"

"Mianhae...." Min Hyuk cried with his anime tears.

"I know you will be able to watch them," Bom smiled at Shin Hye. "It is still at eight tonight. Come with us, all right?"

Shin Hye hesitated before nodding. The guys howled at her bending for the first time. Jiyeon and Bom went to Shin Hye and hugged her.

"Don't be a spinster, Eonni," Jiyeon said.

"Ne, Jiyeon is right," Bom said.

"Jiyeon-ah, Bom-eonni, who are you calling a spinster?" Shin Hye cringed.

The boys smirked at Shin Hye's disappointment. Even Yong Hwa lit up a half-smile as he watched Shin Hye acting like an embarrassed girl for the first time.

"I didn't know math geniuses could also get embarrassed," he thought in amusement.

*****

After lunch, Shin Hye hastily got out of her room with her big backpack, and she almost collided with Jong Hyun. She did not apologize because she was in a hurry (and she was rude), and Jong Hyun resisted the urge to curse. 

"What's with her?" he said.

Shin Hye ran to the bus stop and rode on the first bus that stopped. As usual, she evaded the stares that people gave her. She was definitely not the best dressed girl in town, and her fashion sense was definitely cheap or uncool. She did not mind because she was used to it. After all, all she could ever boast of was her brains.

Finally, she reached the bus stop of her destination, and she walked briskly to Rack Sky. She entered the building, and went inside the studio where she was to stay.

"Annyeong haseyo?" she greeted the stylist there.

One photographer chatted with her a bit before a stylist handed her the clothes she was to wear that afternoon.

****

Out with the geeky and granny-dressed Shin Hye, and in with the vampy Shin Hye!

She posed in front of a white wall, and watched as the crew did their own functions. The photographer posed to a lot of poses and took shots of her. Later on, she went to the dressing room to change into another set of outfits, then was made up again by the stylist. Then, she went back to the studio and posed again. For the next five hours, the photo shoot for a magazine was on swing.

After the photo shoot, everyone thanked her for working hard, and one crew even showed her the latest issue of the magazine of which Shin Hye was centerfold.

"Can I have your autograph, Eonni?" the crew asked.

Shin Hye grabbed a pen from her bag and signed. The crew was so happy that she hugged the model. Then one of the stylist sighed, saying that it would be nice if Shin Hye would be full-time model instead of doing it part-time.

"It would be nice, but I am still a student," she said politely and sweetly.

Her agent gave her a check--her salary for the week. Shin Hye looked at the numbers in the check, settled in deep thought, and got her calculator to recheck her solution. The people around her gulped in agony, as she was too exacting when it comes to numbers and money. 

"How come I miss a won?" Shin Hye asked.

Her agent explained, but Shin Hye did not agree. 

"I don't understand," she said. "I had been on time all the time, I go out of the studio on time, I never missed a session, and I just miss a won?????"

One won meant so much to her, and so, the agent got the check and said that he would take care of it.

"Joesonghamnida, Oppa," Shin Hye said to her agent. "I just don't want to let go of money, you know."

As she exited the studio, the crew agreed that she was pretty and intelligent, but she was stingy and was too much exacting when it comes to math and money. She could not be fooled.

******

Shin Hye went to the restroom to rinse her makeup. She could not get over that she did not have her salary for this day. If they were to pay her, she needed to recalculate.

"Huh~~~~ I needed to go back here this coming Monday...." she thought. "Oh, I need to get here before my afternoon classes."

Classes would start this coming Monday, and she was doing modelling stints since high school to fund for her allowances. That was one secret she kept from others outside her family. She did not want to be disturbed by a lot of fans just wanting to sign autographs but will just forget her afterwards.

"It's enough that my family and co-workers know of my part-time occupation," she thought.

******

She went home at almost dinner time, and when she got in the front porch, Yong Hwa was there, sitting and closing his eyes as he savored the wind on his face. The moonlight shining on his face accented the angles of his cheekbones and nose, and Shin Hye thought that he just looked perfect.

"Why am I feeling this way?" she thought as she clutched her chest.

She shook her head and climbed up the front porch, and it was when Yong Hwa looked at her. He wondered why she was staring at him.

"Do I look like a sudoku puzzle to you?" he asked.

"Ani," she replied bluntly. "Your face reminds me of your other payment."

"Ya! Do you always have to worry about that?" he snapped.

Shin Hye just shrugged, as she was used to people snapping at her for being stingy and OC.

"Oh, Shin Hye-ya, Yong Hwa-ya, let's have dinner," Bom called out to them.

*******