Girls Talk

I've Never Been This Close

Jung Shin frowned at Yong Hwa for being selfish.

"Ya, just admit that you and Shin Hye did some hot, y, and explicit dirty dancing," he said.

"Explicit?" Yong Hwa asked, shocked.

"Yeah," Jung Shin smiled maliciously. "It's supposed to be that way, right?"

Yong Hwa scoffed. "You're unbelievable. I didn't know you could be a overnight after dancing with Hyun Ah."

"It's as if you never know me!" Jung Shin said. "You should know me better, that I like hot girls like her. And even if she is not a noona, I still like her."

He shared how he danced with Hyun Ah--in details. Yong Hwa rolled his eyeballs and laughed.

"Still, I tell you," he told Jung Shin. "I only waltzed with Shin Hye."

"Selfish!" Jung Shin told him.

***************

Shin Hye went to the front porch and noticed her elder cousin, sitting there in deep thought.

"Eonni, gwaenchanha?" she asked.

Bom noticed that Shin Hye's eyes glowed with happiness. Something nice must have happened.

"Ne...." Shin Hye whispered. "Yong Hwa and I danced."

"Om, don't tell me you're...." Bom said. "Dirty dancing?"

"Anio!" Shin Hye said defensively, and lied the way Yong Hwa did, for they fabricated that tale.

"Waltz?" Bom asked.

"Ne, Eonni," Shin Hye said. "Yong Hwa-oppa is such a great dancer."

But all the while, she was blushing like mad.

"It's the first time I hear you saying 'Yong Hwa-oppa'," Bom said. "You usually just say his name."

"Ah...hehe," Shin Hye laughed sheepishly.

Bom sighed, and what a sigh.

"Can you tell me what's wrong?" Shin Hye asked in concern.

Bom shared to her what she had talked about with her parents.

"It can't be helped, Eonni," Shin Hye said seriously. "I can't believe it. Auntie only cares about politics."

Bom nodded.

"Eonni, why did you bring that up all of a sudden?" Shin Hye asked. "Is it because of Jong Hyun?"

Bom nodded.

"Have you...fallen for him?" Shin Hye asked.

Bom shook her head. "I....I don't know. But I just feel sad for him.... Appa discriminates him just because Uncle Jin Young shared that Jong Hyun comes from a poor family."

"And was your Appa not poor in the past?" Shin Hye ed. "All of them were poor too! Aigoo!"

"They just see me as an investment," Bom said.

Shin Hye sighed. "My parents also gave me the same lecture too, though not as tough as yours."

"I guess all Korean parents see their children as investments," Bom sighed. "Eversince kindergarten, they had been doing all the can so that we can pass the CSAT, right?"

"I can't say all, Eonni," Shin Hye said. "Perhaps, most. If it weren't for CSAT, I would have enjoyed my high school life."

Bom nodded, as she could remember how Shin Hye was in high school. Shin Hye was too driven during high school, that was why, when she failed in one test, it was a big deal for her that she spent a week crying over it, being depressed, throwing her things out the window, and even attempted to jump off the school rooftop. That was why Bom was very worried last night when she saw how sore and hurt Shin Hye had been after seeing Yong Hwa dancing with Hyori.

Well, she, Bom, also did her best in high school, though she was not as dramatic as her cousin. Thanks to her strict training at home, she was able to deal school with less blow. It was home that was more of a struggle than the CSAT...all because of her Appa and her Eomma's family linked to politics.

"Good night, Shin Hye-ya," Bom said.

Shin Hye nodded and watched her cousin stand up and walk away.

"Poor Eonni...."

*********

Bom went to the kitchen to drink water, and when she went out, she saw Jong Hyun standing by the door. It was he who spoke up first.

"You're crying...." he said. "Bom-noona..."

She just nodded and held his cheek with one hand. She could feel warmth on his cheek.

"Good night, Jong Hyun-ah...."

Jong Hyun watched as she got up the stairs and walked to her room.

"Why...why did Bom-noona do that?" he asked.

He felt his heart beating fast, and he did not like it.

"Ani, ani... I won't fall for her anymore," he thought.

In his confusion, he went out and saw Shin Hye sitting by the porch.

"Ya," he called out.

Shin Hye turned around and invited him to sit down.

"How come it's you here? Not my jagi?" she asked.

"Ah, how could I forget?" Jong Hyun asked. "The front porch is the throne of our prince and princess."

"Ehe," Shin Hye laughed.

Jong Hyun noticed the happy expression on Shin Hye's face.

"You look too happy."

"You could tell, right?"

"Ne, I bet that after watching the two of you last night at the fire exit, I think that both of you either had some dirty dancing inside Yong Hwa's room, or both of you did it once and for all," Jong Hyun .

"Ya!" she exclaimed.

"If nothing happened between the two of you, both of you would only be talking here in the porch," he told her. "Or why was Jung Shin kicked out of the room to be with me and my cat?"

"We were having a private conversation, all right?" Shin Hye defensively said. "And we were just waltzing."

"Why so defensive?" Jong Hyun casually asked. "It seems to me that you and Yong Hwa were doing something forbidden."

"Aniya!" Shin Hye retorted. "We just waltzed!"

"You could get so predictable, you know," Jong Hyun said. "I thought you are as complicated as a matrix, but when it comes to matters of the heart, you are as easy to predict as one and one combined. You are defensive and you hate it when guys compliment you."

"Why do you always notice that one?" Shin Hye asked. "Hehe, don't tell me you like me!"

"Like you?" Jong Hyun asked. "*scoff* Why would I want you? I'm just saying that you are like that."

Min Hyuk came out of the door, holding his book.

"Hyung, can you please explain this to me?" he told Jong Hyun.

"Hyung?" Jong Hyun asked. "Do I really look old to you already?"

And Shin Hye laughed, thus earning a displeased look from Jong Hyun. Min Hyuk sat down before him and gave him the book.

"Hmmmm...." Jong Hyun said, examining the book.

Before he explained, he tickled Min Hyuk under his chin.

"Ya! You are treating me as a cat!" Min Hyuk ed.

"Can't be helped," Shin Hye said as she laughed. "You really look like a cat."

"But I am not a cat....." Min Hyuk said. "I will really ask Jiyeon and ask for some makeover so that I can look as hot as her Seobang."

"Dream on," Jong Hyun said. "You'd still be as cute as a cat."

"I am not a cat!" Min Hyuk said.

Shin Hye listened as Jong Hyun explained.

"Ya, I think I should explain it inside the room," Jong Hyun said. "The light is kinda dim, you know."

They both excused themselves and walked in, leaving Shin Hye alone. She was only thankful that they went inside, for Yong Hwa went out of the door.

"Ya," Yong Hwa called out.

He went to her and sat down. He could see excitement in her eyes.

"You love the dance?"

"I really, really do," she said. "We should do that again."

Of course, he really enjoyed doing some y dance with Shin Hye, and he wondered if they could control their emotions and desires.

"I am afraid to go far," Shin Hye admitted.

"Me too," he said. "I love dancing dirty with you, but I am afraid that if we, uh, have--you know... I might break your dreams."

Shin Hye exactly knew what he meant. The "you know" part and the dreams. And she did not want to ruin her future and her parents' pride just because she got pregnant. And even if she was really liberal-minded, Korean society usually despises girls who get pregnant out of wedlock. These girls would be discriminated their whole life, no matter how intelligent they are. And it was a big deal, especially to celebrities.

He held her hand and squeezed it gently and lovingly.

"I really enjoyed dancing the dance with you, I really enjoyed your hot kisses," he told her. "But I will do my best to resist my urge and wait for that special day because I love you."

Shin Hye smiled at him and confessed the same. And once again, they wrapped each other in each other's arms and kissed passionately ala Round 37.

But then, they could not resist kisses. I hope they're strong enough to resist the urge to go far.

 

******

If you wonder how I came about the topic of girls getting pregnant out of wedlock and being despised, I learned it in Minami Shineyo (the reason why Mo Hwa Ran hid Tae Kyung in his youth) and Jungle Fish 2.

 

~~~~