Catch me if you can

Collections

 

“Catch me if you can~” The shorter girl teased as she runs ahead of the slightly taller girl. It was their favourite game. They played this game daily, with just the two of them. Even though it seems boring to have just two players, they enjoyed it greatly as they are playing with someone that they love. Just being with each other seem enough for them already. After running about for nearly thirty minutes, the taller girl stops and sits down, panting a lot. She waved her hand, signaling to her friend that she cannot run anymore, as she is too tired. The shorter girl grinned and ran over, sitting down beside her beloved friend. “I won again~”

 

“Yah… You’re originally a better runner. You know I can’t really run fast and get tired easily…” The taller girl pouted.

 

“Make sure you train your body, okay~? We shall play this with each other, no matter how old we are.” The shorter girl smiled, and the taller girl nodded with a smile as a reply. Both of them lied down and relaxed, enjoying each other’s companions.

-----

“Catch me if you can~” The girl smirks, as she stood at the edge of the building with a smirk. The group of guys in blue uniform did not dare to advance forward, in fear that she might really jump. Just then, a girl walks up from behind the group and stood in front of them with a stern look. “Oh~ You came! Let’s play, okay? You be it.”

 

“…. Get down from there and come over here. You have no where to run, and I know for sure, you won’t end your life like this.” The girl replied.

 

“…. You really know me well. But what if I say, I do have a way to get away?”

 

“Then I shall play with you. Until I catch you and put you into the place where you’re suppose to be at. The prison.”

 

“You bear to?”

 

“I have no choice. You killed too many people….”

 

“I guess so then. But still, you will have to catch me first. As you had promised, you shall play this game with me. Our favourite game~ Bye bye~” The girl waved and jumped, much to the surprise of the other girl. The girl ran over and looked down immediately, to realize that her target had gotten away. She had already planned her escape route from the start. Running to this building and its roof was part of her plan.

 

“Darn it….” The girl frowns, as she watches the girl waves at her happily before running away.

…..

“You failed again, Sooyoung ssi….” The man sighed. “It’s the third month already, and seven policemen were victimized. I let you on this case just because you said that you know the criminal well, but up to now, you showed no result at all.”

 

“I… I’m sorry… I didn’t expect her to actually plan her escape route on the roof of a building…” The tall girl bowed and stayed in that position. She clenched her fists tightly, as she thought of how the criminal got away right in front of her eyes.

 

“I will give you one more chance. Catch that girl and put her into jail, understand? One more failure and I will replace you.”

 

“Yes, sir!” The tall girl salutes firmly and walks out from the office. She looks at her team members and sighed. “One more chance, team. We have one more chance…. We have to succeed this time…”

 

“We will. We definitely will…” Her team members consoled her. She smiled faintly at them and went back to her own office. She picks up the photograph on her desk and stared at it. It’s a photograph, of her and her best friend, taken a few days before that friend suddenly becomes a murderer. Up till now, she still does not know why her friend becomes like that suddenly. The sudden craziness may be due to the death of her parents but she just does not understand why she is targeting the policemen.

 

“Reporting! The target strikes again. According to our colleagues at the scene, she at the abandoned warehouse nears the pier.” Suddenly, her team member knocked on the door and came in, informing her about the situation. She nodded and grabbed her coat, ready to go out.

…..

“M… Madam… Pl… Please save me… I don’t want to die yet. I s… still have a family to take care of…” The terrified man trembles as the knife is sliding gently across his throat, not cutting his skin yet. The girl behind him tugs on his hair, causing him to scream in pain.

 

“Shut up…” The girl whispered into his ear, before turning to the big group in front of her. “Hi~ You found me again. Too bad, you lost two lives already. You’re left with one. This one, and yours.”

 

“Stop it, please.” The tall girl pleaded.

 

“Are you begging me, Youngie?”

 

“Yes. I’m begging you. Please stop all of these.”

 

“Too bad… If you aren’t a policeman, I would listen to you. Let me get rid of this fellow first before we talk, okay?”

 

“NO! STOP IT!” Sooyoung shouted, but it was too late. Blood was spilling, from the guy’s throat and soon, he laid on the floor, motionless. “WHY!?”

 

“I begged them too….” The girl replied, showing a sad expression. “I was crying so hard… Begging those stupid policemen to not shoot. Those baddies got my parents as hostages, and THEY HAVE GUNS POINTING AT MY PARENTS! I begged the policemen not to agitate them! But they won’t listen! THEY OPENED FIRE AND MY PARENTS WERE USED AS A SHIELD!! AND, in the end, those baddies still got away! My parents, died for nothing! YOU POLICEMEN KILLED THEM!! YET YOU POLICEMEN NEED NOT RECEIVE THE GODDAMN PUNISHMENT!” The girl screamed as tears flow out from her eyes profusely. She was swinging her arms aggressively, with the knife in her hand, as she walks closer to the policemen in front of her.

 

“Don’t shoot…” Sooyoung ordered, when the policemen raised their guns and pointed it at the approaching girl. “…. Yoongie, is that why you started killing policemen….?”

 

“Yes. I finally found those stupid policemen that killed my parents. And that guy, was the last one. However, I will not stop my game with you, Youngie. We promised each other, that no matter how old we are, we will continue playing…”

 

“Let’s stop, Yoongie. Let’s stop. It’s enough.” Sooyoung grabs the shoulders of the doe-eye girl. She could see the expression of the girl soften. The girl drops her knife and Sooyoung took out the cuff. However, when she is about to put the cuff on the girl’s wrist, the girl caught her hand suddenly and soon, she finds herself cuffed on one hand, together with the doe-eye girl. “Y… Yoongie?”

 

“It changed already. You tagged me just now, didn’t you? So now, I’m it. And I caught you.” Yoona smirks, as she searches the pocket of the shocked girl for the key. “This key… I should keep it.” And she put it in her back pocket quickly before Sooyoung could snatch it away.

 

“Let her go, Im Yoona! Or we will shoot you down!” The policemen shouted, raising their guns again.

 

“You won’t bear to shoot your beautiful madam, will you? Oh wait… I forget. You idiots don’t care about the hostages, right? Okay then. Shoot me down with Youngie. I want to die with her.” The doe-eye girl stood behind the tall girl and rested her head on the girl’s shoulder. “Youngie shall be with me forever.”

 

She could see the policemen cursing under their breath, knowing that they couldn’t shoot. She wraps her arm around the waist of the girl slowly, and started moving backwards, pulling the girl along with her. The policemen watched helplessly, as their superior got taken away right before their eyes. They tried to give a little chase, but the girl planned her escape route well again. She disappears within seconds, with their superior.

-----

“Youngie~”

 

The tall girl fidgets slightly before opening her eyes, to find herself in a familiar place. She looks around, examining her surrounding carefully, and soon, she realizes where she is.

 

“Youngie, you’re awake~” The doe-eye girl is sitting right beside her, and their wrists are still cuffed. “You’re at my place now. My parents say that they miss you so I brought you here to see them.” She then points to the corner of the house, and the sight shocked the tall girl. It’s the bodies of the girl’s parents, or skeletons to be a little more exact. After all these while, the girl had been keeping her parents’ bodies here and the whole house is filled with the smell of rotten flesh.

 

“Y…. Yoongie… You know I’m scared of these kind of things….” Sooyoung gulped, not daring to look at the bodies again.

 

“What…? They are my parents, Youngie. Now that we are here, shall we play? Or are you tired already?”

 

“… I… I’m tired, Yoongie. Let’s just rest, okay?”

 

“As you wish, Youngie.” The doe-eye girl smiled sweetly at her friend, giving the tall girl much warmth in her heart. At that very moment, the doe-eye girl seems so harmless and innocent. It was as though they returned to three months ago, when all of these had yet to happen. “Why did you become a policewoman, Youngie…?”

 

“… I just wanted to chase some people and bring them to justice.”

 

“Ha… But your stamina is so lousy! You can’t even catch me!” Yoona teased, like how she always tease the girl.

 

“I trained my body, okay? I’m fit and fast now.”

 

“But you still can’t catch me.”

 

“You’re too fast. I need more training.”

 

“You sure need more training~” Yoona laughed. Their conversation lasted for the whole night, as they talked like they always do. Before they realize it, it’s already five in the morning. The doe-eye girl yawned and stretched her body, before resting her head on the tall girl’s shoulder. “I miss the time when we were still kids, running about playing tag. It was so fun….”

 

“Yea… Even though there’s only the two of us…”

 

“But now, you cheated. You got helpers to help you in the game. Cheater~”

 

“Yea. I cheated. Because you’re too fast, Yoongie. I need help catching you… Are you hungry? I’m hungry…”

 

“Oh? Now that you say so, I’m hungry. I was enjoying so much that I didn’t realize my hunger. Wait here, Youngie. I will go get some food from the kitchen.” Yoona unlocked the cuff and stood up.

 

“N… No. It’s okay. I will get it. You wait here.” Not wanting to be the same room as the two bodies alone, Sooyoung stands up quickly and walks into the kitchen before the girl could even react. Seeing that, Yoona grins and stretches her body again. After a while, Sooyoung came out again with two cups of noodles and handed one to the doe-eye girl. “You had been eating these only?”

 

“I’m broke.” Yoona replied, eating her noodles. “With you chasing me, I can’t go and work, can I? What if you cheat again and ambush me?”

 

Sooyoung did not reply. She did not know how to reply. She felt sorry for her beloved friend, but she has not choice. Her friend committed a very serious crime, and the punishment is guaranteed to be death sentence. As a policewoman, she cannot disobey the law just to protect her friend. But she needs to get out of here first. Without her men, it’s dangerous to deal with this girl. After eating, Yoona lies down the floor and yawned.

 

“You are sleepy?” Sooyoung asked, the hair of the girl gently.

 

“Yea… After running about so much and talking so much, I’m feeling sleepy.” Yoona replied, closing her eyes slowly. Sooyoung waited for a while, and when there is no movement for around ten minutes, she stood up, ready to get out of this house quickly. She makes a dash for the door and opens it, to be shocked terribly by the two bodies hung outside the house, at the door. “…. I knew it. You will definitely run away from me…” Yoona got up slowly and stared at the girl with a frown.

 

“Y…. Yoongie… W… When did you hang them over there…?” Sooyoung asked. She didn’t even realize that the bodies were missing from that corner of the house just now.

 

“When you went into the kitchen. I knew you are going to run away from me. But Youngie, you’re it. I caught you already. So you can’t run. You’re supposed to catch me.” Yoona stood up and approached the girl slowly. From her back, she pulled out a knife and smirked. “… Youngie, I have a confession. Do you want to hear?”

 

“… G… Go ahead…” Sooyoung gulped, as she moves away from the door, as well as from the girl.

 

“I love you, Youngie….”

 

“W… What?”

 

“I always do… Even though you become a policewoman, I still love you.” Yoona continues to move closer to the tall girl. “So I wanted to stay with you forever….”

 

“… Yoo… Yoongie, d… don’t do anything silly. Let’s talk about this, okay?”

 

“What is there to talk about? You tried to run away from me! I bet you are planning to get those idiots to come and get me, right?” Taking one big step, Yoona placed the knife at the throat of the girl, cornering her to the wall.

 

“N… No... I… I was just trying to go out and get some food. You can’t be eating cup noodles everyday, right?” Sooyoung lied.

 

“Don’t lie. Why are you lying to me? First, you tried to run away from me, and now, you are lying to me. Do you hate me that much, Youngie? I love you, Youngie…” Yoona pressed the knife closer, cutting the skin of the girl’s neck slightly.

 

“P… Put the knife down, Yoongie… I won’t run away again. I won’t lie too. Please put that knife down.”

 

“I have to make sure you don’t run, Youngie. I love you, but you don’t love me. I can’t afford to let you run away, you know. You’re my everything. Without you, I will be nothing…. My goals are completed. My life will be meaningless. So I can’t let you run away, Youngie.”

 

“D.. Don’t do it, Yoongie. I… I promise I won’t run…”

 

“Of course you won’t run… You’re staying here, with my parents and me. We shall be together forever~” And before the tall girl could resist, she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. She looks down, shocked by the amount of blood flowing out from her own body. remains open, as her legs give way slowly. “I love you Youngie…. But you don’t… So I have to make sure you don’t run…” Yoona hugs the girl tightly.

 

“…. Y…. Yoongie… I… I do lov… love you….” Sooyoung could hardly talk. Hearing that, Yoona moves away quickly and stares at the tall girl, surprised. “I…. I r… really… love you….”

 

“…. Don’t lie… Stop lying! You’re lying to me again!” Yoona screamed, tears flowing out again.

 

“I… I’m n... not…. I a… always love you…. Which is… why… I requested… to be in c… charge of t… this case… Yoongie…. I really… love you…”

 

“…. R… Really?” Yoona asked, grabbing the shoulders of the girl anxiously. She pulls out the knife quickly when the girl nodded, and grabbed a cloth from behind her to press on the wound. “O… Oh my god… I’m so sorry, Youngie! P… Please don’t die! Don’t leave me alone! Youngie, I’m sorry...”

 

“Y… Yoongie… It’s alright…. I… I under… understand….” Sooyoung placed her hand on the doe-eye girl’s hand. “Please, just… do me one favor…”

 

“…. Turn myself in…?”

 

“Yes….”

 

“…. Up till now, you’re still thinking of getting me into prison…”

 

“I.. It’s for y-“ Sooyoung’s sentence got cut off by a violent cough, and more blood started spilling from her wound.

 

“Stop talking!! Stop!” Yoona started panicking, as she looked at the cloth in her hand. It was dyed, blood red, with the blood of her beloved friend. “I will, okay! I will turn myself in. Please don’t die…”

 

“…. Good girl…” Sooyoung smiled, and signaled weakly to the girl to move closer. Yoona did as told, and soon, their lips met. They kissed passionately, and the kiss stops when the tall girl’s closes her eyes, and her tongue stops the tongue war. Yoona froze.

 

“…. Y… Youngie…?” Yoona shook the girl. There is no response. “Y…. Youngie!? ANSWER ME, YOUNGIE! ANSWER ME! I SAY, ANSWER ME!!!” She shook the girl violently, but no matter how hard she shook, the girl remains lifeless. “… I… I’m so sorry…. Youngie…… I’m so sorry….”

-----

“It’s here!” The group of policemen dashed up the stairs, first to be shocked by the two bodies hanging outside the house they are looking for. Carefully, they remove the two bodies and move them away, before entering the house to search for their superior and target.

 

“Guys…. They’re here….” One of the policemen called out to the others, as he stood outside the master bedroom of the house. The rest of the team rushed over, shocked to see the two lifeless bodies on the bed. Their wrists are cuffed together, and their hands are interlocked tightly. “We’re late, Madam…. We’re sorry.” The policemen saluted to the body of the tall girl, before they start to move the bodies carefully. They found a note near the bodies, with a threat.

 

I’m sorry, Youngie. I’m not going to turn myself in. I want to stay with you. Forgive me this time, okay? And, I bet your men will eventually find us. So… here’s a note for you idiots. DO NOT TRY TO SEPARATE US. I will haunt you if you do. I swear I will.

 

The guys gulped and passed down the message quickly, and in the end; the two bodies are buried together, just as the doe-eye girl had wished for.