Chapter 8

Alone In The Dark

A/N: Honestly I got the idea of jokes after watching Jonghyun SNL. Lol his skit where he says pick up lines to seduce that lady was so hilarious. HAHAHAHA Anyway enjoy this chapter ^^ Leave a comment for me!

 

Lee Jieun’s POV

“I don’t want a friend.” I groaned for the hundredth time today.

Or at least that’s what it felt like. Jonghyun was sat next to me, determined to believe that I didn’t know what I was talking about. He hadn’t left me alone through the lessons we shared, and it had been a week since he first started to try being my friend.

Every lesson we had he would always be completely blunt in his attempts to befriend me. We now had a double English and that meant he hadn’t left me alone for quite a while. I was already reaching the end of my rope. I was purely exhausted.

“Nonsense.” He said waving away my protest.

I glared at him darkly and said nothing. He continued to try grabbing my attention but I kept ignoring him.

“Knock Knock.” He said eventually managing to perk my curiosity.

I turned to him with a blank face. “What?”

“You got it wrong. It’s who’s there.” He corrected.

I narrowed my eyes and scrunched my eyebrows together.

“I meant what are you doing.” I replied.

“Telling you a knock knock joke.” He answered.

I asked exasperated.

His lips twitched up. “Because, you cannot be my friend if I get you to laugh.” He answered.

“Where do you get your logic?” I asked with a groan.

“Life experiences.” He answered with a grin. “Anyway. Knock knock.”

“You’re not going to let it go until I answer are you?” I asked, sighing.

“Nope. Knock, knock.”

I rolled my eyes to the heavens. “Who’s there?” I answered giving up.

“Alex.” He answered with a victorious grin.

“Alex who?” I groaned out.

“Alex-plain later. Let me in.”

There was a long pause as I stared at him blankly, jaw unhinged.

“That was so lame.” I fought out eventually. “Did you really think I’d laugh at that? You could have at least told a good joke.”

“No knock knock jokes are good.” He answered back simply.

I sighed, knowing the truth in his words. I pressed the pads of my fingers against my forehead. This conversation was quickly giving me a headache.

“Let me try a different joke.” He said settling himself more comfortably into his seat, as he thought.

“You’re not going to take no answer are yo – “He didn’t even let me get through a whole sentence.

“How do you make a sausage roll?”

I breathed out slowly. “How?” I asked.

“You push it down a hill.” He started laughing at his own jokes.

I. Want. To. Shoot. Myself. Despite the fact his jokes were terrible though I almost found myself smiling at how much he was laughing at his own lame jokes.

He was sat close enough that I could feel his movements as he shook with laughter and usually at this point I would be in a panic attack. But I was finding it difficult to be afraid of someone who was telling such awful jokes.

It wasn’t a logical reason not to be afraid but it calmed me down a lot. Seeing that I wasn’t finding his joke half as funny as he was he tried again.

“Okay.” He breathed catching his breath. “What did the green grape say to the red grape?” He asked.

I blew out a large breath. “What?” I asked.

“Breathe you idiot! Breathe.” Ha finished.

I let out a snort of disbelief that I hadn’t seen that coming. His eyes widened and his smile brightened.

“I’m going to count that as a laugh. You’re my friend now.” He proclaimed and all my amusement dropped.

“That wasn’t a laugh.” I snapped. “And you don’t get to decide if you’re my friend or not. I do.”

He just continued to smile. “It’s not so bad being my friend.” He told me unfazed by my obvious lack of enthusiasm for the idea.

He said that but he didn’t know how bad it would be. Friends talked to each other. Touched one another. Worse went over to the other ones houses. There were so many reasons I wouldn’t and couldn’t be his friend.

“I don’t care.” I answered even though the thought of having him around for a prolonged amount of time didn’t appear as unappealing as it had a little over a week ago.

He was one of those people that just grew on you, whether you wanted it to or not. There was no option in the matter.

But unease was brought with the thought. I didn’t want to get close to him. I was already too close as it was. It was freaking me out how comfortable I was getting to be around him already. More than anything I just wanted this project to be finished, so I didn’t have to worry about it anymore.

“We’re not friends.” I added on for good measure.

Jonghyun smiled in a way that made me think he didn’t believe my words for a second.

“So friend are you coming to my house after school tonight?” He asked.

“Not if you keep calling me your friend.” I frowned.

“Joonie would be happy to see you.” He commented, choosing to ignore my rudeness. He ran a hand through his hair. “He keeps asking me to invite you over.”

I bit my lip, thinking about his little brother. I couldn’t lie and say I didn’t want to see him again. I knew I shouldn’t want to but there was a certain happiness in me that he didn’t hate me even slightly. He had accepted me so openly.

I could see it in his eyes.

For once I was being looked up t, and it was hard to pull myself away knowing the disappointment it would bring him.

I didn’t notice how out of it I had become until I felt something lightly brush against my forearm. I jumped violently, pushing myself closer to the wall and away from Jonghyun who was sat there with his arm still suspended in mid-air.

“Don’t touch me.” I hissed out. “I told you I don’t want to be your friend so leave me the hell alone.” I ordered him through clenched teeth.

But he didn’t. He was still staring at me, with an openly curious expression. My breathing had changed rapidly into a soft pant and I could feel the back of my neck growing damp with his heated stare. I slammed my text book closed, not caring that we were in the middle of lesson.

I needed to get out.

“Lee Jieun, is there something I can help you with?” My teacher asked at my rude interruption.

“Yes. Please mind your own ing business.” I snarled throwing my bag over my shoulder and jumping over the table, to avoid having to pass Jonghyun.

“Lee Jieun, don’t think I won’t hesitate to give you detention again.” He tried scaring me.

“Try it.” I said with a shrug, before storming out of the room, trying to get my breathing under control.

A brush of an arm. That was all it took. My heart was still clenched tightly in fear, not over the small amount of contact. Worse he had managed to catch me off my guard.

I hated that.

I tried so hard never to let it down and he put me straight back in my nightmare. My nightmare where I was weak, useless, and pathetic. I don’t want people to see me like that.

My escape was short lived. It wasn’t long until I heard his familiar voice calling out my name for me to slow down. I kept up my brusque walk down the corridor, trying desperately to ignore him.

“Jieun!” He was too close now.

The only way to get away from him would be to run and I refused to show that weakness. I span around on my heels. Face carefully crafted into an unreadable mask. His eyes searched mine, but I kept my emotions closed.

“What?” I asked him.

“You left the class.” He said sounding concerned.

“So did you.” I fired back.

He gave me an attempt at a smile. “I guess we can be detention buddies.” He joked.

I scowled at him angrily. “Did me storming out of the classroom not give you enough of a hint? I don’t want you anywhere near me.” I brushed some of my hair out of my eyes, determined to let him know I meant this. “I don’t want to be friends.”

For the first time he gave me a wounded look, but he quickly covered it up. But it was enough to have guilt invade my stomach, churning it. I swallowed back my want to apologise. This is what I did when people got too close. I hurt them so they don’t come back.

“You seriously ran out of the room to get away from me?” He asked.

I in a breath, preparing myself. “You’re overbearing and annoying.” I told him simply. “Why don’t you just leave me the hell alone?”

He ran a hand through his hair, blowing out a deep breath. “You’re y and callous.” He responded, but there was no hate in his voice like there should have been. “It makes you brutally honest. I like that.”

This guy didn’t make any sense. He was now turning my insults in to something likeable about me? I wasn’t sure how to respond.

“There’s something seriously wrong with you.” I told him, with an undertone of desperation in my voice I was hoping he couldn’t detect. “You can’t tell when you’re not wanted.”

“You don’t know when you’re over treading lines.” He shot back.

That’s where he was wrong. I knew exactly where the line was and I was always trying to over step it and separate myself from him and everyone else.

“You know, I’m starting to think you want to be left alone.” He mused.

I clenched my jaw. “I told you that a week ago! I want you to leave me alone.” I exploded with frustration.

He shook his head. “I don’t mean just by me. I mean by everyone.” He gave me a thoughtful look.

I could feel myself starting to shake. When he looked at me like that, it felt like he could see the real me. The me that was scared to go anywhere near someone. The me that was afraid of her own father.

“Why do you want to be alone?” He asked.

I clenched my hands. Why was he questioning it? Why wasn’t he already walking away and planning what mean things to write and tape to my locker? I don’t want to be that same girl anymore. The girl that depended on other people. That used to write texts begging not to be alone.

I don’t want to be her ever again.

“Stop trying to work me out.” I hissed at him. “There’s nothing to work out. I’m a , I’m alone, and yeah I like it. I lied. So why the hell won’t you get lost and leave me be?” I finished.

He gave me a soft look that I hated. It scared me lifeless. “You’re an interesting person.” He said quietly after a minute.

I sighed. What was he getting at? Why wasn’t he leaving?

“That’s why I won’t leave you alone. You liven things up a bit.” He said a cheeky smile gracing his lips.

I stared at him dumbfounded. Hadn’t he been listening to me at all in the past few minutes?

“Well you’re boring. So find someone else to bother.” I said, my voice finally returning to normal level.

“You’re not going to be able to get rid of me that easily. You’re stuck with me.” He laughed.

My jaw was unhinged in disbelief. Why was being so god darn difficult? I was being perfectly blunt that I didn’t want him around. I felt like a broken record with how many times I had told him.

”I give up.” I said with a sigh, as I leant against the school lockers, throwing my hands in exasperation.

He perked up excitedly, a breath taking grin taking dominance over his face.

“Does that mean you’re agreeing to be my friend?’

I shot him a scathing look. “Of course not. It means I’ve given up repeating myself over and over again. Now I’m just going to wait for my message to sink in and for you to leave.” I said truthfully.

How long could the guy last? A voice was nagging at the back of my mind telling me it had already been a week and he hadn’t given up yet. But I pushed the thought away.

His smile didn’t leave, if anything it grew. Excitement was flashing undisguised in his eyes.