Chapter 24

Alone In The Dark

A/N: This chapter is going to be the chapter all of you have been waiting for.... All I can say is that is about to hit the fan. Comment and subcribe afterwards ^^ 

Jieun’s POV

“Wow.” Jinki whistled lowly as he held my paper out of my reach.

“Your score was even worse than mine.” He said with wide eyes.

I scowled at him, snatching my test paper back in annoyance.

“Shut up. Mine wasn’t that much worse than yours.” I said, annoyed.

So, what if I was no good at math… or science… or history… or any subject ever?

“But I came in late in the year.” He said pointing to himself.

I rolled my eyes.

“But hey if you want I’ll help you to study.” He suggested.

“Fat lot of help you’d be. You got an E.” I reminded him.

“Still better than an F.” He taunted.

I narrowed my eyes, about to tell him exactly where could shove it, when suddenly we weren’t the only two people around anymore.

“Yo Jinki! I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” A tall guy – who I think was in our year – came up from behind Jinki, catching his neck in a chokehold.

“Get off me .” Jinki said struggling to get out from under his friend.

I took a step back for safety measures, feeling my insides clench. I was about to take my leave when Jinki broke free, looking rumpled from the minor tussle.

“What the hell?” He asked, looking annoyed as he ran his fingers through his hair to fix it.

His friend simply shrugged with a laidback grin on his face. His eyes fell on me and his grin widen.

“Am I interrupting something?” He asked, placing heavy emphasis on the last two words.

Jinki snorted as I swallowed back bile.

“I’m assuming by that reaction the rumours aren’t true?” He asked, his eyes darting between the both of us.

“Rumours? What rumours?” I couldn’t help but ask.

Jinki’s friend looked surprised that I had actually spoken to him, as if he’d expected me to ignore his entire presence.

“You know, the whole ‘school ’ falls for the ‘new hot guy.’ Everyone’s been talking about it.” He said raising an eyebrow at me.

They have?

“I think I’m going to be sick.” I said pulling a face.

“Hey! I’m quite the catch you know.” Jinki said puffing out his chest,

“And by that do you mean if someone with you they’ll most probably catching something?” I asked sneakily.

Jinki looked like he was about to say something but his friend hooted loudly over him. The sudden amount of voice had me recoiling into the wall although neither of the boys seemed to notice.

“You’re just as feisty as they say.” The buy stated, looking highly amused by the fact.

His eyes danced with humor as he threw his arm around Jinki to lean on him. Being a leaning post wasn’t something Jinki looked all to impressed by.

“So since you and my buddy here definitely aren’t a thing, how about me and you give it a go?” He asked.

What?!

I gave him a blank stare, almost positive I had heard him wrong.

“Me and you?” I asked, perplexed.

“Beautiful, it sounds even better coming from your mouth.” He said with a cheesy grin.

I think we must be talking in different languages.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, feeling my annoyance rise.

Who the hell was it who kept bringing all these weird people into my life?

“I’m suggesting we go to the school dance together.” He said.

I stared at him. He was speaking plain English, but his words weren’t making any sense.

Was this weird boy I met not five minutes ago seriously trying to ask me to the school dance?

“Not happening. Ever.” I said through clenched jaws.

The boy didn’t even look slightly affected by my reaction though.

“Why not?”

“Look I don’t even know your name – “

“It’s Kyung Sang.” He cut over me at this point.

“And I don’t care.” I said attempting to speak over him, emphasizing the word ‘care’

“I’m not interested.” I told him firmly.

What was happening to my life? Since when was I even invited to places or asked out to school dances?

Jinki slapped his friend on the back of his head, possible with more force than necessary.

“Don’t take the rejection too hard. She’s already taken.” He said with an aloof grin.

Already taken? What the hel –

“Ah speaking of the devil!” Jinki said with a smug smile on his face.

I narrowed my eyes at him, but I was quickly distracted by Jonghyun’s arrival.

“Hey guys.” He said, standing next to me, his eyes taking in the three of us.

I wasn’t at all surprised by the fact that they knew each other. Jonghyun wasn’t exactly unpopular.

“What were you guys talking about before I got here?” He asked.

“Kyung Sang here was just getting heartlessly shot down by Jieun.” Jinki laughed, slapping Kyung Sang on the back violently enough that he stumbled off of him.

“Shot down?” Jonghyun asked, looking unimpressed.

“Yeah, this idiot tried to ask her to the school dance.” Jinki explained, not seeming to notice the dark look that passed over his cousin’s face.

Jonghyun’s eye darted down to meet mine, catching me staring up at him.

“And you said no, right?” He asked, looking tensed.

My eyebrows wrinkled in confusion, but I slowly nodded my head, letting him know ‘yes’.

His shoulder’s relaxed and I heard Kyung sang mumbled something under his breath to Jinki who just nodded his head.

“So Jieun got an F on our math test today.” Jinki spurted out randomly.

“What the hell, Jinki?” I glared at him.

“You did?” Jonghyun asked, looking surprised.

I felt my stomach drop a little in embarrassment. For some reason Jonghyun was the last person I wanted to know just how stupid I really was. My face hardened as I continued to glared at Jinki.

“What?” he asked.

“Ever heard of minding your own god dammed business?” I asked snappily.

“I strongly believe a problem shared is a problem halved.” He said simply.

Real subtle Jinki.

He’d been constantly throwing these comments at me ever since he told me he wouldn’t tell Jonghyun, making it clear that he thought that I should.

I could feel the most recent scar that ran along my stomach burning under my shirt. He image of the same thing happening to Jonghyun had me terrified.

“It still wasn’t your problem to share.” I said, my jaw ticking in annoyance.

He shrugged his shoulders, staying silent, his eyes challenging me. I in a deep breath shaking my head firmly. I wasn’t going to change my mind. If I had my way, Jonghyun wouldn’t ever find out.

I didn’t realise then just how little choice I had in a matter. It wasn’t until later that day that I realised, just how out of control it really was.

 

 

“Jieun you can’t just sit out.” The coach of our PE class fumed, yelling at the top of her lungs.

“Unless you want to fail my class I suggest you start running.” She said, pointing to the rest of the girls in my class that had already started their laps.

I shrugged my shoulders. I was pretty much failing every other class, what did one more matter?

“Fail me then.” I said unflinchingly.

Seeing her threat was having no effect on me, she tried again.

“Oh you don’t care? Okay then, how about I call your parents? Will they have your same attitude?” She asked with a new confidence.

My fists tightened at my sides. Usually I wouldn’t care but my father had stumbled home late last night and chances were he wouldn’t be impressed with the phone call.

“I don’t have my kit.” I said through my teeth, a last ditch attempt not to do anything.

“Then borrow one or run in what you’re wearing. Either way, do it.” She said, inflexibly.

I clenched my hands into fists, letting my nails bite my skin,

“Fine.” I conceded, tucking my hair over to one side to expose my neck, allowing me not to get over heated before I started to run.

I turned sharply on my heels, ignoring the way my side protested in pain to the movement as I started to run several paces behind the rest of the class, clenching my teeth against the throbbing of my wound. It was a struggle keeping my breathing patterns normal.

I counted loudly in my head, focusing on each step and I fell further and further behind the other students in my class. Two laps in I lost count and my foot stumbled. A loud, attention grabbing, gasp left my lips as I fell onto my knees. The pain in my side getting ten times worse. I close my eyes as one of my arms stretched out to lessen the impact of my fall and my other arm curled around my waist.

“Jieun?” My coach’s voice sounded distant to my ears as I rested my forehead against the cool grass.

“Son of a .” I groaned, feeling wetness on my hand.

“Jieun?” The voice was a lot closer this time and I felt a warm hand land on my back, making me tense.

“.” I hissed though my teeth.

The pain in my side got worse as I did. My head throbbing in pain when I noticed the people crowding around me, all whispering to one another. I wanted desperately for them to all disappear.

They were too close.

I could feel my lungs closing in on themselves as panic started to take over. My eyesight started to blacken and I couldn’t feel anything but a dull throb in my side now.

“Jieun? Jieun?”

Was I delusional now too? That sounded as awful lot like Jonghyun to me. But what would he be doing here?

“Jieun!”

No that was definitely Jonghyun.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, but this time it was bigger, more comforting. My airways loosened some and I in a ragged breath. I focussed on the in my side. Pain I could deal with.

Jonghyun would take care of everything else. I opened my eyes and they instantly latched onto Jonghyun, hungrily taking in his features.

How did he always find a way of turning up exactly when I needed him?

“ Jieun, you’re bleeding.” He said worriedly, his eyes wide as he stared at the shirt where the blood was leaking through.

I muttered a curse under my breath. My wound must have opened up again. I held in a groan as I got up to my knees, forcing myself not to focus on the crowd of students around me, all too aware it would probably set me spiralling off into another panic attack. Instead I kept focused fixed on Jonghyun.

“Someone needs to take her to the school nurse.” The coach said, making me grit my teeth.

“I’ll take her.” Jonghyun said firmly, his voice leaving no room for arguments.

I nodded my head, shakily started to get to my feet but Jonghyun’s hand on my shoulder stopped me from moving.

“Don’t move. You’ll hurt yourself even more.” He said.

“The how do you expect me to get to the nurse? Teleportation?” I said, rolling my eyes at him.

Jonghyun’s eyes tightened but he didn’t give me an answer. Instead he silently wound one arm around the back of my chest and one arm under my knees before he carefully started lifting me up.

“What are you doing?” I asked him, my mouth handing open.

“Carrying you.” He said,

Although his voice came out sounding strong, I felt his hands shaking a little as they gripped onto me tightly. He slowly rose to his feet, carrying me like it was no effort to him at all.

He stayed in utter silence as he carried me through the corridors, leaving behind the sounds of students whispering excitedly to one another about what had just happened.

“Oh my! What happened here?” That was the nurse’s reaction when Jonghyun carried me through her office door.

“She’s bleeding.” Jonghyun said, his voice tight like he was holding something back.

“I opened up a wound by running in gym class. It’s not that bad.” I explained and I could feel Jonghyun’s hand tighten slightly on me.

“Right, well, lay her down on the bed.” She instructed Jonghyun, who nodded his head stiffly and did what she said.

He didn’t let go of my hand as he took occupancy of the plastic seat next to it.

“Jonghyun…” I said softly, felling unsure of what else to say.

Something about his expression had my heart tightening in my chest. The nurse was in the next room, bustling around, before she returned with a first aid kit in her hand.

‘I’m going to have to lift up your top to get at the wound.” The nurse said gently but firmly.

I tightened my jaw but didn’t argue. What point was there? It wasn’t like I had the equipment to deal with the injury by myself.

My eyes went to Jonghyun as I felt my shirt being carefully peeled away from my skin and heard the nurse let out a small gasp. I knew she was seeing all my scars, cuts and bruises that ran along my stomach.

When I felt Jonghyun hand tighten on mine, I knew he could see them too. I closed my eyes feeling too exposed. I felt a slight pressure on my stomach as the nurse cleaned the wound. I ignored the pain of it. I was used to that by now.

“I’m going to have to switch the wound.” The nurse said now, her voice coming out a lot softer than before.

I could hear the sympathy dripping out of it. This time it was me tightening my hold on Jonghyun. I wasn’t him holding my hand anymore, it was me holding his. I let out a grunt of agreement, letting the nurse do her job as she closed up the wound. The whole time I kept my eyes focused on the ceiling. Wanting both Jonghyun not to be here and him never to leave.

“God Jieun.” Jonghyun said, when the nurse left the room, once more, his voice tight.

“You’ve been fighting again.” He said, his voice didn’t come out so restrained this time.

Instead he sounded half strangled. His fingers wound through the gaps between mine, our palms pressing together. I felt my heart started to race.

‘Why?” He asked, sounding desperate.

I felt tears started to build up in the back of my eyes but I forced them back.

“I…I…” I trailed off.

How was I meant to respond to that? I was saved from having to answer by the nurse walking in again.

“I’ve signed you out for the rest of the day Jieun. I suggest you go home and get some rest.” She said.

I didn’t say anything.

“Do you need me to call someone? A parent maybe to come pick you up?” She suggested.

“No.” I said a little too fast.

“My father won’t be home.” I excused a beat later.

The nurse didn’t look happy with that response.

“I’ll take her.” Jonghyun said.

My head snapped in his direction sharply.

“What? No, you can’t. What about your classes?” I said, refusing him to take me home.

Jonghyun stared at me as if I’d said something monumentally stupid.

“I’m taking you home Jieun. You can’t argue with me on this one. You don’t have a car.” He said in a no nonsense tone.

“I – “ I started but he cut me off.

“I’m not taking no as an answer.” He said sternly, his hand still gripping onto mine.

I didn’t argue this time. And after a few minutes of tense silence the nurse spoke once more.

“I’ll sign you out for the rest of the day too then, Jonghyun.” She said.

I didn’t bother to argue. Instead I let out long sigh, allowing Jonghyun to help me off the bed and to my feet. His arm kept me anchored to his side so I could use him as support.

“It’s not so bad Jonghyun.” I said softly.

I decided against telling him that I’ve had worse because I had a hunch it would only upset him further than comfort him. Jonghyun shook his head wordlessly. His lips pressed together in a thin line. My heart sunk a little. He was clearly upset and it was all my fault.

We stayed in silence as he led me to his car and drove me home. By the time he had parked outside my house I felt tense and nervous. I bit back a sigh of relief when I didn’t see my father’s car parked outside my house. If he wasn’t home already he was at least out of the house, probably drinking.

“Thanks for the ride.” I said quietly.

Jonghyun shook his head, not turning to face me.

“You don’t have to thank me. I know you hate car rides.” He said, not sounding like himself.

“They’re not so bad with you.” I half smile.

He still didn’t respond, his whole expression strained as he stared ahead.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said my hand gripping on the car door handle.

I was half way through opening it when I heard Jonghyun call out my name quietly. I turned my head back, half on me feeling like I had imagined the whole thing.

“Don’t leave.” He said, his voice overwrought.

I felt my lips part but no words came out as I stared at Jonghyun. Looking closely at him now I could see his shoulders shaking slightly and his knuckles had turned paper white from how tight he was gripping onto the steering wheel.

“Jonghyun?”

His eyes snapped up to meet mine, his whole face one of pleading.

“Can I just stay with you for a while?” He asked desperation leaking into his voice.

I stared at him, my throat feeling too tight to answer. He seemed to take my silence as an unspoken ‘no’.

“Please Jieun.” He tried again.

“I – after seeing – “ He shook his head turning it back away from me as he leant his forehead against the steering wheel, his eyes clenched shut.

“Please. Right now I feel like if I leave something terrible will happen. Like you’ll get hurt again.” She struggled to explain.

“Jonghyun, I can take care of myself. Nothing bad will happen.” I tried to reassure, but his face only paled in response.

“Please Jieun. I know nothing bad will happen logically, I just need to be around you right now.” He said with desperation behind his words.

My breath caught in my throat as my heart and mind fought. Eventually my heart won out. I couldn’t just leave him.

“Okay. You can come in for a while.” I said gently.

As the words left my lips I saw his shoulders sag in relief as the tension left his body.

“Thank you.” He said, his hands loosening on the wheel.

I nodded my head silently as I carefully lifted myself out of the car. Jonghyun following suit at an eager pace, by my side an instant, helping me keeping my balance. I gave him a small smile as he put his car on lock and helped me to my door, going as far as to fetch me my key from the inside pocket of my bag.

I felt my stomach squirm in embarrassment as we stepped into my house. I had cleaned up considerable since the incident on Christmas but I was still aware that the house looked nothing like Jonghyun’s. Even if it hadn’t look like it was falling apart, not one ounce of it held the same life that Jonghyun’s house was filled to the brim with.

Instead it was cold and detached. But as Jonghyun’s eyes took it in he didn’t say a word about it.

“Umm. Do you want a drink or something? I can’t cook worth a damn but I could make you a mean bowl of cereal.” I awkwardly suggested.

Jonghyun chuckled shaking his head.

“That’s okay.” He declined.

“Right. Uh… do you want to come upstairs?” I asked.

I felt myself turned red at the surprised look on Jonghyun’s face, realising what had sounded like.

“N…not like that! It’s just the sofa springs are broken and I thought you might be more comfortable… we can stay down here if you want.” I rushed to explain.

Since when was I this nervous?

I swallowed, as Jonghyun let out a y chuckle. I sighed internally in relief because he was sounding more like himself again.

“Upstairs is fine.” He reassured.

I nodded my head, silently deciding the less words I said the better chances I had of not making an idiot of myself.

“Okay.” I said, letting him help me up the stairs.

His hand rested delicately on my his, supporting me without pressing on to any of my bruises.

“This one is mine.” I told him, swinging open the door on the left to reveal my bedroom.

“Nice room.” Jonghyun said softly.

As he entered, his eyes scanning quickly left to right. I rolled my eyes knowing there wasn’t a lot to take in. My room was plain. A wooden single bed, a couple of wooden shelves, a broken down chest of draws with the draws handing out open letting my clothes spill out over the top and small mirror stood against the wall.

“Make yourself comfortable.” I said turning away from him to hang my bag on the back of the door.

When I turned back around I saw Jonghyun made no hesitation in accepting my offer, he was already on the end of my bed. I saw his lips twitch into a grin when his eyes caught onto the papers lying on my pillow.

“Is that our English project?” He asked, leaning across to pick them up.

I rolled my eyes, making my way over to sit next to him, our backs against the wall. I nodded my head as Jonghyun’s eyes scanned over the paper, reading the notes I had left on the side as I was reading the end of the book last night.

“You’ve been working on it?” He asked in surprise.

“You wanted an A right? The scholarship and all that.” Jonghyun didn’t say anything instead he just nodded his head.

“I wanted to get into Seoul University.” He said after a long pause.

“What about you? Where do you want to go after high school?” He asked.

I shook my head at him. He blinked in surprised.

“You don’t want to go to a university? Why not?” He asked.

“I have a job. They’re prepared to take me on full time as soon as I finish school. Plus, I need to stay around here anyway.” My father probably couldn’t take care of himself without me.

“And if I’m being perfectly honest I doubt any university would take me in. I’m struggling to even pass last year of school. F in math remember?” I told him openly.

“You’re having that much trouble?” He asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

“Are you really that surprised? I’ve always been stupid.” I smiled wryly at him.

“You’re not stupid Jieun.” He said firmly and I shook my head in disbelief.

“I’m serious Jieun. I’ve seen your work for English Lit.” He continued.

“That’s because I had your help Jonghyun. Before that I was struggling to pass that too.” I told him.

Jonghyun’s face became one of determination.

“Then I’ll help you in your other subjects too.” He said.

I snorted but soon saw he was serious when his expression never changed. Humour fled me as I stared up at him.

“You would?” I asked, my voice coming out strange.

“Yeah.” His eyes softened.

“I don’t think you know what you’re signing up from when you said that. I’m not kidding when I say I’m failing in all my subjects bar English Literature.” I said, giving him a half smile.

“Then I’ll help you with all of them.” He continues to promise.

“That will take ages.” I protested.

“I don’t mind at all.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“All those hours. You’ll be bored stiff of me by the end of a week, let alone the end of the year.” I said.

“Trust me when I say I won’t be.” Jonghyun said staring me directly in the eye.

I closed my eyes briefly before opening them again, trying to get my thoughts to settle, so I could think straight. It was hard when Jonghyun was looking at me like that.

“I don’t think you realise how annoying I can be.” I said.

“I don’t think you realise how tolerant I can be.” He said teasingly, reaching out and flicking the end of my nose.

I felt my heart jump into my throat at the new proximity as he leaned in close to me. My eyes widened, refusing to leave him as my lips parted and my mind scrambled for a reply. But Jonghyun’s eyes lose focus, his thoughts wandering elsewhere.

“Hey Jieun? I wanted to ask you something.” He said, his tongue darting out to wet his lips.

I felt something inside me twist at that action.

“You did?” I asked.

“I wanted to ask…” He started but he didn’t finish.

Frustration crossed over his eyes but it wasn’t directed at me. He was frustrated with himself as he struggled over the words.

My eyes knitted together in confusion. He in a deep breath, determination settling into his features.

“Would you like to go to the dan – “

But Jonghyun never got to finish his question. Something that wasn’t himself cutting him off this time. Something that caught all of my attention.

The sound of the front door being slammed open and closed as someone stumbled in. My eyes widened, as I heard the familiar heavy footsteps crash loudly up the stairs. I felt my whole face pale.

This couldn’t be happening. He never came back this early when he was out.

“Son of a !” I flinched when I heard him yelled out gruffly followed by the sound of something being kicked heavily.

My throat felt dried up as my eyes went to Jonghyun’s. Confusion followed by something more terrifying crossed over his eyes.

Understanding.

I felt my heat crashing around in my chest. No! He wasn’t meant to know.

“Stupid !” I could hear the slur in my father’s voice.

I heard him stumbled past my room, not bothering to come in as he headed straight for his own room. Terror run thought-out me like a freight train in full speed and instincts had me moving my hand so it was clamped over Jonghyun’s mouth. My eyes pleading with him not to say a word.

When I heard the slam of his bedroom door I felt myself relax a little. But my relief didn’t last long when I caught the dark look on Jonghyun’s face as he hovered over me.

“Jieun.” He said tightly, his voice fortunately barely above a whisper.

His eyes were trained on my stomach, as if he was seeing through my shirt back to what he had seen in the nurse’s room. His hands tightened into fists by his side as he slowly raised his eyes, before asking the question that had my insides tightening.

“Who exactly gave you those injuries?”