Chapter 20

Alone In The Dark

A/N: Finally an update after forever!! Please don't kill me! I have been really busy with my new internship so I really have any time to even check AFF. Anyway I hope to comeback and do frequent updates on this and also my other stories so stay tuned. Also wanna thank all those patient readers out there who still subscribe to my stories eventhough I have been inactive lately. LOVE ALL OF YOU!!

Jieun’s POV

“What?”

I stammered staring openly in shock at Jonghyun, who had just delivered the news I don’t want to hear. He didn’t look too impressed himself.

After the events that had happened on Christmas my thoughts were equally occupied by both Jonghyun and Jinki, his mysterious cousin, who had somehow become the only person to know…

But how much did he know?

How much had he seen?

And more worryingly - had he said anything?

My stomach turned just thinking about it. I didn’t know what I expected to happen after Christmas, but I knew what I hoped to happen. I was hoping that Jinki would fully disappear from my life and forget entirely about me.

What I hadn’t seen coming was for Jinki to start attending our school.

Jonghyun ran a hand through his already messy hair making me wonder just how often he had done that today.

“I know. He’s been such a nightmare all through the holidays. Now my mum wants me to ‘bond’ with him and show him around, introduce him to people, and whatnot.” He said, with a deep frown etched into his face.

I bit down on my lip, feeling my heart starting to speed in my chest.

I forced my breathing to remain normal. This made the ‘ignore the problem in hopes that it would go away’ plan I had in action a lot harder to accomplish.

“Hey are you okay, you’re looking a little sick.” Jonghyun asked concernedly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I cleared my throat, as we reached my locker.

“I’m fine.” I muttered, avoiding his eyes as I lied.

I certainly did not feel fine. Whatever the opposite of fine was, that was what I was feeling right then.

“You sure? You’ve not been doing anything stupid like sleeping on your front porch in the middle of winter?” He asked.

“Funny.” I said sarcastically.

Jonghyun’s lips didn’t as much as twitch upwards.

“I’m not joking, Jieun. You could have gotten yourself seriously sick.” He told me, not for the first time either.

“I know Jonghyun. I haven’t done it again since your first lecture. But if you give me a fifth one I’m going to do it just to spite you.” I told him, trying to shake off his hovering concern.

I still wasn’t comfortable with him handing it out so freely to me. Jonghyun frowned deeply, but let it go. I felt a stab of guilt in my gut, but I pushed it away.

“So... When is Jinki starting?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

I pulled the books I was now carrying closer to my chest as I juggled to close my locker door shut.

“Here.” Jonghyun said, taking the stack of books out my hands.

“Uh th-thanks.” I said feeling a little stunned.

I shook my head trying to straighten my thoughts. Jonghyun was always doing sweet things like that; you’d think by now it would have stopped surprising me so much.

“No problem.” He said as I slammed my locker door shut.

”And today by the way.” He said pulling the books out of my reach when I tried to take them back.

“What?“ I began to ask, reaching for them again but Jonghyun stepped back, preventing me from doing so.

“Jinki. He’s starting today.” He continued.

I frowned, his words doing their job of distracting me well enough that I stopped trying to get my books back off of him.

“Today?” I echoed uncomfortably, looking around me half expecting him to jump out from one of the lockers.

“Don’t worry I lost him in the school parking lot.” He assured me, making my eyebrows rise. It was hard imagining Jonghyun doing anything intentionally cruel.

“You lost him?” I asked, unsurely.

“Yep. Now what class do you have?” He asked, changing the subject on me.

 “Why do you need to know?” I crinkled my face in confusion.

He rolled his eyes at my lack of answered and looked down to the books I forgot he was carrying, and opened the first page.

“Maths with Ms Lee.” He got his answer.

“Hey! Give those back!” I said holding out my hands to take back the books, thoughts of Jinki moving to the back of my mind.

Jonghyun just smiled at me and shook his head.

“Nah let’s get you to class before you’re late.” He said walking past me, towards my class.

Leaving me standing where I was, stunned.

“Wait- what?” I asked, turning sharply on my heels so I could chase after him.

He glanced over his shoulder, smiling amusedly at me.

“Come on slow poke.” He taunted when I caught up, a taunting smile on his face.

“Why are you kidnapping my books?” I asked him in annoyance.

Jonghyun snorted loudly, making curious eyes land on us. I glanced around us feeling uncomfortable, automatically taking a step closer to Jonghyun.

“Kidnapping? I’m just carrying them for you.” He said, amusement in his voice.

My eyebrows pulled together, and I felt a sudden wave of warmth rush through my insides aiming for my cheeks.

“Why?” I asked, feeling almost shy while asking.

There must have been something in my voice, because Jonghyun looked over at me in surprise.

“U-uh. Just because.” He responded shrugging his shoulders.

“Okay….” I said, clearly confused as to why he is doing this.

I stretched out just as we reached my class but I didn’t go inside straight away, still waiting for my books.

“Hey! Jieun! Jonghyun!”

Both of our heads snapped away from one another to see Min Kyung racing toward us. Once she caught up, she started to say something but stopped, her eyes landing on Jonghyun, then me, and then my books that he was still holding on to. Suddenly her eyes widened.

“OMG! Are you two together?” She squealed, making me flinch away before her question even registered fully in my mind.

“Holy crap! You are! Tell me everything! Did you get together over the Christmas holidays?” She screamed.

I opened my mouth to try and set her straight and tell her nothing was going on between us, but she kept talking over me.

“Did you start dating on Christmas? Oh wait, no! Tell me it was on New Year’s Eve! I bet you did that whole first kiss at midnight, and BAM you realised you were in love!”

I shot a look to Jonghyun, who looked as equally bewildered as I did.

“Min Kyung, we’re not- “ I started to correct her but this time it was Jonghyun who cut me off, seeming to have recovered from his own shock.

“It was only a matter of time.” He said confidently.

I shot him an incredulous look. What did he think he was doing? Min Kyung was swooned by his words.

“Oh my god!” She squealed, bouncing up on the balls of her feet.

”Tell. Me. Everything.” She demanded.

“Nothing h-“

I was cut off once again my Jonghyun, whose eyes were dancing with amusement.

“Honey, let me tell the story.” He suggested.

“There’s no story.” I tried saying, but he was talking over me.

“It actually happened the day of Christmas.” He started, making me glare heartily at him.

“I went to go see Jieun to wish her a merry Christmas, only to find her asleep on her porch.” He started, pausing when Min Kyung let out a loud ’awww’.

I narrowed my eyes.

“Did you wake her up with a kiss? Oh my god you two have a fairy tale romance!” She squealed.

I stared at her in disbelief. Did she really think things like that happened?

“In fact I did. That’s exactly what happened.” Jonghyun lied with a cheesy grin, throwing an arm around my shoulder, making me tense as my stomach flipped.

Min Kyung looked like she had just been told that Santa Clause did in fact exist.

“Really?” She asked with wide eyes.

“Of course not!” I almost yelled, shrugging Jonghyun’s arm off of me so I could think straight once again.

“We’re not even together.”

Min Kyung’s face fell at my bluntness, and I felt a sharp stab of guilt in my heart.

“Ouch. How quickly you dismiss my love for you, Darling.” Jonghyun continue, holding his hands on his chest, as if my words wounded his heart.

I snorted rolling my eyes. ‘Love’ I wasn’t stupid enough to thing that he meant that. I was surprised that Min Kyung could even think for a second that someone like me had a cats shot in hell with a guy like Jonghyun.

“I’m sure I did, sweetheart.” I muttered sarcastically, crossing my arms over my chest at Jonghyun who was only looking more and more amused

“And yet my heart remains yours, Beautiful.” Jonghyun vowed. I wrinkled my face in distaste.

“So wait. Are you together or not?” She asked, looking utterly confused.

“No we’re not!” I answered before Jonghyun had a chance to lie to her again, sending a threatening look towards him.

Min Kyung gave a face as if I’d told her that I’d just shot her dog.

“Oh. I just thought because he was carrying your books.” She trailed off, gesturing towards Jonghyun’s hands.

“Aw, I’m sorry Min Kyung.” Jonghyun apologised for getting her hopes up, with a crooked grin, before holding out my books at to me.

“Have a good lesson, sweetheart.” He said with his eyes twinkling in amusement.

I glowered, taking my books back with more force than necessary. Worst yet I could feel how heated my cheeks felt, embarrassment causing the colour to rise to them.

I didn’t even know why I was feeling this way.

Min Kyung turned to me dejectedly, as Jonghyun walked down the corridor towards his own lesson both of his no longer occupied hands stuffed into his pockets.

“So you two really aren’t together yet?” She asked me once again.

“What do you mean yet?” I asked edging carefully away from her.

“You two are so MFEO.” She said rolling her eyes when I scrunched up my face in confusion.

“Made for each other.” She explained as we walked into class.

I snorted loudly. Me and Jonghyun? Made for each other? She was kidding right? Judging from the way she was shaking her head at my amusement I would guess not.

“You’ll see.” She said with a glint in her eye.

I shook my head at her in disbelief. I thought her and Jonghyun were friends? Why would she wish someone like me on to him?

He was sweet and kind, and I wasn’t anything close. He deserved someone a hell of a lot better than me.

We both split off from each other to sit on either sides of the classroom, with Min Kyung still shooting me knowing looks from across our classmates.

I was grateful when Ms Lee made her entrance, demanding the attention of the entire class as she wrote down the date on the board, followed by some practice questions that made no sense to me seeming as I had never bothered to listen when she had explained how to do them in the first place.

I was more than happy for the distraction it offered Min Kyung for her to stop looking at me like she had been.

Just over ten minutes into the lesson, I was already bored stiff and no longer trying to follow along to what the teacher was explaining to us all, when there was a loud knock on the classroom door.

Figuring it was just a student asking for any spare chairs, I didn’t bother looking up from my failed attempts at taking notes. Not until I heard the one voice I was hoping wasn’t going to be turning up in any of my classes.

“Sorry I’m late. I couldn’t find the class.” The boy announced looking anything but apologetic as he stood confidently in the front of the classroom.

“I’m new.” He offered in explanation as his eyes scanning over his new peers.

I wanted to sink as far back into my seat as possible and turn invisible.

“You must be Lee Jinki.” Our teacher said walking past him to close the door he had left hanging open.

“Please find a seat.”  She offered gesturing around the room.

Jinki didn’t even bother looking at her, instead his eyes landed on me and they widened a fraction in recognition before he shot me a wide smile.

I grimaced, throwing him a scowl in return.

That didn’t stop him from striding across to the very back of the room and picking the seat next to me. My grip on my pencil tightened as he sat down, still looking in my direction.

I gritted my teeth.

“It might be more beneficial to sit yourself next to someone who could help you catch up on any work you’ve missed.” She told him, sending me a look of displeasure.

She was clearly not a fan of mine.

Jinki’s eyebrows arched upwards in to his fringe as his eyes went from me to our teacher, sensing a least some of her hostility towards me.

What can I say? Authority figures just adore my constant sarcasm.

Jinki’s smile widened as he threw an arm over the back of my chair, making me flinch, and my breathing to pick up.

“You’ll help me, won’t you Jieun?” Jinki asked tipping his head in my direction.

“No.” I told bluntly, through gritted teeth as I jerked my chair to dislodge his resting arm.

Our teacher’s lips rolled up into as she watched us, and quiet mutters buzzed around the room. Undoubtedly gossip starring the newest arrival. She let out a deep breath through her nose.

“Stay where you are or move, but don’t disrupt the lesson.” She warned before spinning on her heels to start teaching once more.

“So.” Jinki whispered a few minutes later, leaning in towards me to try and talk.

I didn’t give him a chance to finish talking as I gave him my best glare to make him back off, and shifted my chair further away from him.

The only thing stopping me spinning off into a panic attack was the fact that Jonghyun and him seemed to somewhat get along, and how bad could he be if Jonghyun was alright with him?

“Either don’t breathe, or keep at least sixty centimetres away.” I said with a face of disgust, playing off my anxiety as annoyance.

His eyes stayed focused on my face as he mulled over my words, thankfully deciding to lean back once again, his eyes still on me making me feel exceedingly uncomfortable.

“What?” I asked nastily.

“I always assumed my cousin’s taste to be a bit less aggressive.” He said thoughtfully.

Jonghyun’s tastes? What had that got anything to do with me, or the way he was looking at me?

“I’ve been meaning to talk to you, and I just expected you to be friendlier.” He continued, looking amused by something or other.

“Look I have no idea what you’re talking about, but I’m not big on being pleasant, so if you’re looking to make friends on your first day of school, I suggest you search elsewhere.” I warned him, turning back to my work.

Before he had the chance to respond, Ms Lee spoke over him.

“Jieun, if you would ever so kindly stop distracting your classmates the rest of us would be ever so grateful.” She spoke on behalf of the class, a few of whom were sniggering, making the teacher’s eyes light up in victory.

I rolled my eyes, which didn’t go unnoticed by her.

“And how about you complete this question and tell us how we’re meant to find the stationary points on this curve?” She suggested, knowing full well I had no idea what she was talking about.

Since when did any points on the graph move? At my lack of answer she smirked.

“Didn’t you learn anything from last year?” She grilled trying to embarrass me.

“Apparently not. I guess you’re not as great of a teacher as you seem to think you are.” I smartly answered.

There were a few more sniggers this time, as our teacher flushed snapping at me to ‘watch my tone’ including one that came from the boy next to me. I wanted to shout at him, and unreasonably demand that he un-hear what I said, because I didn’t want to give him amusement, I wanted him to be completely non-existent in my life.

Everything about him set me on edge.

“I really need to talk to you after class, Jieun.” Jink said finishing his sentence from early in a hushed voice, so quiet I barely heard him.

I tensed tighter in my seat, my jaw clenching.

He knows. He knows. He knows.

The words kept taunting me, repeating mockingly in my mind. Not knowing just how much he knew was killing me inside, but bringing it up by asking him was the exact last thing I wanted.

I settled for ignoring his entire being, even when he made little ‘pssst’ noises to try and attract my attention. I just attentively copied everything our teacher was writing on the board, shutting him out from my mind.

That wasn’t so easy when he was sitting so close. My body was instantly stiffened in fear, but I tried my best not to show it.

Needless to say the lesson felt like it took a forever to finish.

When the lesson finally did come to an end, I was on my feet instantly, moving nimbly through the students, only to have Min Kyung step in front of me.

“Hey what’s the rush?” She asked.

I gave her a tense smile, feeling suddenly very claustrophobic when I felt a figure approaching from behind.

“Yeah, where are you running off to?” Jinki asked, making me flinch.

Well .