Chapter 9

Alone In The Dark

A/N: Short chapter update. Hope you guys have a good day ahead ^^ Leave a comment and subscribe!

 

Jonghyun’s POV

She was already wavering and she didn’t even know it. I ignored the harsh glare on her face and focused instead on how much more relaxed she’d looked in general as she leant against the school lockers.

I wanted to reach over and force her to smile to complete the image I was building up of her in my mind. One where she openly laughed and let down her constant stiff posture. I could imagine how freaked out she would get if I tried. Not wanting to lose the little progress I had made I pushed my hands into my pockets, to keep them to myself.

“So my house after school?” I questioned, holding back the ‘friend.’

I had said earlier when I had asked her the same question. But judging from her deepened scowl I had implied it well enough in my tone.

“Whatever. The faster we get this project finished the better.” She said running a hand though her hair.

I held back from telling her that when this project was over I wasn’t planning on letting her run off out of my life. I had meant what I said. She was stuck with me.

“That’s the attitude.” I encouraged instead.

“Meet me at my house at four?” I asked.

She nodded her head. Ever since her detentions had ended she no longer accepted rides from me but instead insisted on walking there herself. Probably something to do with her hatred of cars. Oh and me.

“Great, Joonie will be thrilled.” I told her.

I saw her expression soften involuntarily. I wasn’t even sure she knew she did it but her lips became less pressed. Her brow less wrinkled and her jaw less tense when I mentioned my brother. Was it insane to say I was a little jealous?

Part of me was glad she was softer at the thought of my brother though, because he adored her. He literally worshiped the ground she walked on. Though it made me wonder what he had managed to do to worm his way into her good graces.

“Right.” She murmured quietly.

She bit her lip looking thoughtful. Eventually she sighed loudly.

“He’s alright right?” She asked quietly, taking me by surprise. “He was really shaken up that night.” She continued.

I could feel my smile growing as she stumbled over her excuse.

“He’s fine.” I assured her. “Eager to see you.” I informed.

‘So was my mother.’ I kept to myself, because my mother could get over excited. And Jieun had witnessed that before. She pulled a face, but nodded her head.

“That’s not healthy.” She mumbled quietly, I’m not sure I was even meant to hear it so I ignored it. But damn it made me curious.

The bell rang loudly above our heads, but I wasn’t ready to give up this conversation just yet. I finally felt like I was getting somewhere. That was until she turned away from me and started walking without so much as a goodbye.

Determined, I jogged to catch up to her. “So I have a question.” I said trying to strike up the conversation again.

“Keep it to yourself.” She shot me down. I just laughed it off though.

“What’s your favourite colour?” I asked.

She stopped walking for enough time to shoot me an exasperated look over her shoulder.

“What the hell Jonghyun?” She asked.

“What?” I shrugged. “It’s a simple enough question.”

She glowered, baring her teeth in a threatening scowl.

“It’s a pointless question and none of your business.” She retorted, flipping some of her long hair out of her eyes.

“If it’s so pointless there’s no harm in answering.” I told her.

She rolled her eyes, but didn’t answer, instead she stalked towards her locker and I followed her like a lost puppy.

“Is it pink?” I joked, trying my best to keep up with her brisk pace.

She gritted her teeth together but didn’t answer. She was looking increasingly violent by the second though, as she spun her combination angrily.

“Brown?” I asked pointing to her hair.

Her hand automatically went to her head as she shook it, still giving me no verbal response.

“You realise I’m not leaving you alone until I have an answer right?” I asked her, leaning against the cool metal of the locker next to hers.

My arms still folded as I studied the side of her face, which was all I could see because the rest of her face was turned away from me.

“Piss off.” She ordered, but I ignored her.

“You know I noticed something the other day.” I said absentmindedly.

“Oh please enlighten me. I have nothing better to do than to listen to whatever it is you have to say.” She told me, slamming shut her locker.

I grinned at her sarcasm. “You always come to my house and I’ve never been to yours.” I said.

I didn’t notice her stiffening.

“I mean whenever I even offer to drop you off you don’t let me.”

Her face started to pale. I watched, both concern and worry flooding through me. For a long while she didn’t say anything.

“Jieun?” I ventured forwards but she didn’t answer.

I went to say her name again, and ask her what was up but she interrupted me.

“Purple.” She said quietly.

My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. “What?” I asked.

“My favourite colour is purple.” She elaborated, not turning to face me as she spoke.

I didn’t need to ask what was with the sudden change in heart about her wanting to tell me. I knew she was trying to tell me to drop the subject about me never having been to her home. So I let it go. I didn’t want to make her upset. I faked a smile, pretending I didn’t notice how quiet she had gotten.

“Here I thought you would say something like black.” I told her with a grin.

I could see the relief, even though she tried to hide it. “It’s a dark purple.” She said running a hand through her hair.

“Now you promised to leave when I answered your question. Go away.” She reminded me bluntly.

“Yes Sir!” I saluted her, standing straight, making her roll her eyes at me.

“You’re so lame.” She said.

“And you’re such a .” I retorted, earning the smallest of smiles.

That was enough for me. I shouted her a goodbye as I walked down the corridor, earning her attention she clearly didn’t want from the way she glared hatefully at me. I just gave her my widest smile before sauntering away to find my friends.