Chapter 10

Alone In The Dark

A/N: So its been awhile since I update any of my stories. Sorry for being inactive for awhile :( I was busy celebrating Eid with my famil therefore I got no time to write. But I'm back now so you can expect frequent updates from me :)

 

Jieun’s POV

I knocked on Jonghyun’s front door loudly, ignoring the stabbing pain in my left shoulder. I’d gone home that night to find my dad there. He hadn’t been impressed that I’d forgotten to get more beer. I touched my hair trying to cover my neck some more, because I felt self-conscious about how exposed it was.

It didn’t feel like my concealer was doing a good job in hiding the hand shaped bruise, even though I knew it was. I still wished I had picked up a scarf, but due to it being an unusually sunny day there was no way of doing that without driving more attention to my neck.

“You’re late.” Was Jonghyun’s greeting when he opened the door.

I gave him a blank look, and simply nodded my head because it felt strange to use my voice still. He opened the door further, inviting me inside. I did so wordlessly.

“What was with the hold up?” He asked, following me as I walked to his living room.

“It’s a long walk and I’m lazy.” I lied gruffly, dropping my bag to the floor.

He raised an eyebrow at me, but I didn’t elaborate any further.

“That’s not too surprising. I was thinking you weren’t coming.” He admitted, with a wide smile.

I shrugged my shoulders at him. If I knew I could have gotten out of it that easily I wouldn’t have turned up. But then it was likely he would have done something like turn up at my work place again.

“Well I’m about to make myself a sandwich, do you want anything?” He asked.

“You haven’t had lunch yet?” I asked, hating myself for the concern that leaked is way through my emotionless wall and into my voice.

He gave me a grin. “Oh. I’ve already eaten, but practice football practice usually calls for a second lunch.” He patted his stomach, which I’m now surprised isn’t triple its size.

“A second lunch?” I echoed.

“Hey no judgement.” He put his palms up. “You would have a second lunch too if you knew how delicious my mum’s chicken tastes.” His face brightened.

“I’ll prove it to you.” He bounced out of the room, returning later with a two plates, one in either hand.

My stomach twisted in hunger at the sight and smell of the sandwich. He displayed it to me temptingly.

“Here.” He held it out, and my stomach grumbled loudly.

Unable to help myself I took the sandwich from him, because I knew my stomach wouldn’t forgive me later if I didn’t take this opportunity. And he was right. If I had the option I would probably have three lunches a day to taste this. I held back my groan of appreciation, but it must have shown on my face because Jonghyun was showing me the smuggest look I had ever seen on him.

“Told you.” He teased, a glint of amusement in his eyes. “You’re eating that faster than me. Who’s greedy now?” He asked.

I shrugged. “I didn’t have any lunch today, so whilst this is my first, that’s your second.” I pointed out to him, taking another huge bite of the sandwich, leaving out the part where I hadn’t only not eaten lunch but I hadn’t eaten since yesterday’s breakfast.

“You didn’t have lunch?” He asked in a motherly disapproving tone. I rolled my eyes at him.

“It’s not a big deal. I don’t eat lunch most days.” I shrugged.

“Lunch is the most important meal of the day.” He frowned.

“That’s breakfast.” I corrected, after swallowing a huge chunk.

I was surprised I hadn’t choked on it yet.

“They’re all important.” I snorted.

“Why don’t you have lunch?” He asked.

I scrunched my nose up. “School food .” I lied.

I still got hunger pains when I entered the cafeteria, a much-avoided place. To be honest I couldn’t handle the crowds, and plus I didn’t have all the money in the world.

“So? Bring a pack lunch then.” He suggested.

I laughed throatily, regretting it in an instant when pain flashed through my neck. “My cooking is worse.” I said truthfully this time.

“And your dad?” He asked.

I tensed at the subject. “He doesn’t cook.” I said quietly after a moment.

He looked at me confused. “So what do you eat at home?” He asked, making me sigh under my breath in relief that he didn’t latch onto the dad subject.

“Take out mostly.” I admitted, frowning when I reached the end of my sandwich.

“That’s got to get boring at some point.” He argued.

“Not as bad as my cooking. Trust me.” I said shuddering at the thought.

I was one of those could-burn-salad people. He shrugged his shoulders.

“You know you can come over here to eat right? You know if you ever need to.”

I froze in surprised, staring at him. Why did he have to be so nice? He wasn’t meant to be. I couldn’t make myself throw a y comment at him. Or maybe I could have. But I didn’t want to. I liked the sound of being able to find a home cooked meal if I ever needed to.

“Thanks.” I my lips, feeling my throat closing in on itself.

Jonghyun was giving me a strange look, but I refused to meet his eye. My heart swelled in my chest, and I bit down on the inside of my cheek. It’s annoying how perfect he is.

It only served to remind me that he didn’t deserve the crap I put him through. But he kept doing nice things despite that.

“Shall we get started on our work?” I suggested, needing to find something else to think about.

He nodded his head, giving me a smile that only made me feel worse. Why didn’t he hate me by now?

I ignored the thought as I pulled out my significantly buffed up notes (compared to the beginning of our project). It was still a pitiful amount when you took into consideration how much bigger Jonghyun’s notes were. Our work didn’t last long before we were interrupted. Joon Young bounced into the room excitedly.

“JIEUN NOONA YOU CAME!” He yelled loudly, running towards me with his arms spread wide.

I forced myself to accept the hug instead of pushing him away.

“Hi.” I barely got out past the lump in my throat.

How pathetic is it that I can’t even get a hug from a kid without getting scared? My heart was pumping fast in my chest and I gently eased him off of me, so that he was no longer clinging. I my lips dropping his hands.

“Will you play a game with me?” He asked enthusiastically. I bit on the inside of my cheek.

“Your brother and I are a bit busy right now.” I told him, showing him my English folder. “We’re working."

He face dropped into a pout, making my stomach churn with guilt. I starred helplessly at his disheartened young face. I gave an almost pleading look to Jonghyun who shrugged his shoulders. Wasn’t he his brother? He was supposed to be good at stuff like this.

“Pleeaaaseee?” He begged.

How was it that my parents could always say no when I begged them? Probably because they weren’t as weak as I am.

“Just a short game.” He said, seeing my uncertainty

I paused biting my lip. Jonghyun was looking thoroughly amused with the turn of events. It was about time for me to turn the tables on him.

“If Jonghyun doesn’t mind.” I finished with a sigh.

“Well played.” Jonghyun muttered, making me force back a triumphant laugh.

He raised his eyebrows at me in challenge. “Sure thing Joonie.”

He said not even looking at his brother but instead at me. I narrowed my eyes at him in annoyance. Why was he encouraging this? He had made it perfectly clear in the past that he knew what a I was. If I were him I wouldn’t let my brother anywhere near someone like me. There had to be something wrong with this guy.

Joon Young instantly brightened at his brother’s answer, before he ran out of the room as fast as his legs could carry him.

Did he change his mind?  It would be best if he did.

I looked over at Jonghyun who was just sat there smiling smugly at me. I didn’t have to wait long for an answer to my question. Joon Young soon bounced back into the room, waving a beaten up cardboard box over his head. It rattled loudly with every step he took.

“Snakes and ladders.” He said proudly holding it out to me.

I stared at him blankly. “Uh – “I gingerly took the box, feeling like it was going to tear any second, with how old it looked. “Thanks?”

He grinned widely at me. “What colour do you want to be?” He chirped excitedly.

“Make her purple.” Jonghyun answered for me.

Joon Young nodded his head taking off the lid and picking out all the purple cone shaped pieces. “I’m red.” He bagsied unnecessarily.

I watched as the pieces rolled around, clashing into one another as he pulled out the board from underneath and unfolded it. Its colours were fading, but you could easily distinguish the hundred boxes and snakes and ladders laid out over the board.

“You can go first.” Joon Young offered brightly, holding his hand out to give me the oversized dice.

“Sure.” I my lips, letting the silence drag as they stared at me.

Finally I winced. “Okay how do you play?” I asked for help when they both just watched me blankly.

“You’re messing with me, right?” Jonghyun asked. “You played this before. Right?” He pressed.

“No. Are either of you planning on explaining?” I scowled darkly at him. “Because if not I can’t really play.” Even Joon Young was giving me a gobsmacked look.

“How can you not have played it before? Every child has played snakes and ladders. It’s a rule!” Jonghyun asked me, looking offended.

“Clearly not.” I said emptily, waiting for him to actually try and clarify the rules for me.

They both did nothing for a fair amount of time besides staring at me.

“It’s really easy.” Jonghyun answered eventually. “Basically you roll the dice and try to get to the 100 square. If your roll ends on a snake, you move down the snake, and if your roll ends on a ladder you move up the ladder. And if you roll a six you move six and roll again.”

“That doesn’t sound too difficult.” I followed nodding my head.

Hopefully the game would be over quick enough.  As it turns out the one quick game wasn’t all that quick after all. Every time either of us came even remotely close to winning we’d land on a snake and we’d have to start climbing through the squares all over again.

I could easily say that I hadn’t missed out on much if this was classified as ‘fun’ in a childhood. Though I collected my amusement through the numerous emotions Joon Young got form the game. He was so enthusiastic. I had to bite my lip to hide a laugh a few times at his exaggerations.

Eventually he won though, whooping loudly in victory. He raised both his hands in the air running excitedly around in circles. I barely managed to choke back my smile as I watched him.

“Want to play again?” He asked excitedly, practically jumping on the spot.

“No!” I answered to quickly, making his smile fall.

I quickly retreated. “I mean, I can’t because of English and everything. Maybe another time?” I found myself promising, even though I really didn’t want to.

It turned out to be worth it when his whole face lit up in excitement.

“Yeah!” He enthused, starting to pack up.

I helped by picking up the small pieces on my side of the board, hoping in the back of my mind that he’d forget about my proposal soon enough. Because I knew if he asked me I wouldn’t be able to say no.

 

Jonghyun’s POV

“So you looked like you had fun.” I joked once my brother left the room.

In all honesty she hadn’t shown much emotion throughout the game except great annoyance every time either one of the landed on a snake. She gave me a blank look before letting out a long sigh.

“Not really.” She said stretching out her arms so that her shoulder clicked.

My lips tugged down into a small frown. “You must have enjoyed it a little.” I pressured her.

"The game was a classic. Who didn’t like snakes and ladders?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

“It’s a long game. It gets to be annoying.” She said simply.

I shook my head. “Next you’re going to tell me you don’t like Christmas.” I said in a shocked state.

She avoided eye contact and shrugged her shoulders.

“You’re kidding me.” I said in a deadpanned voice. “Please tell me you don’t hate Christmas.” I begged.

“I don’t feel anything for Christmas. I don’t celebrate it. Never really have. So I don’t really know what it feels like. How am I meant to have an opinion on it?” She asked uncaringly.

I gave her a small frown. I guess that was fair. Some people just don’t celebrate Christmas because of religion and such. I chewed on my lip.

“It’s like a second birthday in the year that you get to spend with the rest of your family.” I described.

Her lips pulled up into a wry smile. “I don’t celebrate birthdays either.” She informed me.

I stared at her in shock. Now that just wasn’t right. I went to pinch myself to see if this was some kind of dream, but no I was fully conscious. I felt determination flare inside me. I would make her birthday this year count, because even if she refused to admit it she was my friend. Sort of.

“When’s your birthday?” I asked.

She gave me sceptical look. “It’s already passed.” She said obviously reading some kind of plan in my eyes.

“Damn I missed it.” I sighed in annoyance.

She snorted out laugh before wincing and absentmindedly reaching towards her neck, before she let her hand drop.

“You technically didn’t. Actually it was the first day we ever spoke.” She told me.

My eyes widened. “That day in the alley was your birthday? Why – ?“  

Why were you sat curled up, in an alley way, alone, on your birthday? That was what I wanted to ask, but the question got stuck in my throat. She looked at me expectantly waiting for me to finish my question. But then I fully remembered our first encounter. I groaned loudly, burying my face into my hands.

“God, I was such an to you on your birthday.” I whined loudly.

move, Jonghyun. move. Jieun gave me a confused glance, scrunching up her face in an adorable way.

“What’s wrong with you?” She asked tilting herself away from me warily. “It’s just another day of the year.”

“No it’s not. It was your birthday. No wonder you don’t want to be my friend. People held grudges about that sort of thing right? Especially girls.” I pouted.

She let out a loud sigh. “Look. I was a to you first. And that’s not why I don’t want to be your friend. It’s nothing personal, I just don’t like people in general.”

I looked at her from the corner of my eye. She was determinedly not looking in my direction. And I could almost swear I saw a small blush resting on her cheeks. Or maybe she was naturally that rosy. It was hard to tell. I tilted my head to the side as I observed her shifting uncomfortably under my now obvious stare.

Was she trying to comfort me?

It was strange to think about, because I just wasn’t used to anything like this from Lee Jieun out of all people. I wanted to ask my question out loud, but I was sure it would only make her more uncomfortable and drive her further away. So instead I bit back my question behind a cheesy grin.

“So you don’t hate me? We’re still friends?” I asked eagerly instead.

She gave me a flat look, all embarrassment and discomfort fading away in a split second.

“We’re not friends.” She told me icily, without any sort of warmth.

But somehow it didn’t dishearten me even slightly. Lee Jieun may be a difficult person to read but she was definitely worth the effort. I was determined to break through her icy exterior.

“You’re so mean to me.” I pouted playfully.

“Whatever. I’m not a nice person. Get over it.” She scowled.

I laughed loudly at her attempts to make me back off.

“Let’s just get to work.” She said shoving my folder closer towards me.

“Whatever you want friend.” I teased.