Art shows and graduations

The Life and Times of a SHINee Fanboy

“Where are we going again?” Onew asked, awkwardly adjusting his suit. The twenty six year old had been complaining all day about having to dress up like this and go out. He had time off from the promotions of SHINee’s latest release and had been hoping to relax at Jonghyun’s apartment for the day. The extent of his plans was ordering chicken and beer – an act that would make his stylists and manager hate him but one he would enjoy very much – and relaxing at home. There would probably also be some cuddling on the couch.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. The other man had asked the same question more than once that evening and the blonde knew he already knew the answer. He was just being obstinate. “It’s Jiwoong’s first ever solo art showing. He was so excited, we’ve got to make an appearance.”

“Yeah yeah.” Onew agreed, dodging out from under Jonghyun’s hands where they were fixing up the singer’s hair. “I’m proud of the dork. I just wish it didn’t have to be today.”

“You’ve made that clear,” Jonghyun said, chuckling at the petulant pout on the older man’s face. “Let’s go, I didn’t put this damn suit on just to sit at home.”

“Ha,” Onew crowed as he followed his boyfriend out of the room, “you hate it too.”

-

The trip to the gallery was faster than they expected. Traffic was on the lighter side for a Saturday evening and the two were pleasantly surprised to arrive at the gallery ahead of schedule. Stepping out of the car at the venue, Jonghyun was pleased to see a number of people already milling around the venue. He may complain endlessly about his roommate but he did want the other man’s dreams to come to fruition. It would have been sad if no one had turned up.

Stepping into the venue, Jonghyun and Onew looked around. The room was large, painted white and grey with a dark wood-panelled floor. There were artworks Jonghyun vaguely recognised across the walls and statues he was sure he’d stubbed his toes on more than once placed carefully on small (or large) podiums.

Seeing the artist of the night at the back of the room, Jonghyun made his way over, looking back once to ensure Onew was following.

“Jiwoong! It looks good.” Jonghyun grinned.

Jiwoong smiled radiantly at his friend, “It does. Doesn’t it? Thanks for coming Jjong.” Seeing the other man behind his friend he gaped briefly before pulling himself together. “And Onew! I didn’t expect you to come to my humble show.”

“Wouldn’t miss it.” Onew said, smiling back at the artist. “This is a big night for you, I had to come.”

Jonghyun couldn’t believe the other man was saying this now, when earlier he had been so against coming. Although, he mused, the singer was one to support his friends any way he could. The chances of him not coming were slim; didn’t stop him whining about it all day, however.

“That makes the whole gang,” Jiwoong said happily, “Eunji and Youngho are around somewhere and Sodam is talking to my parents.”

Eunji and Youngho were still going strong. Eunji still occupied the apartment next door to Jonghyun but more often than not it was vacant these days. Jonghyun was sure that knowledge would completely horrify the girl’s mother; an unmarried woman cohabiting with a man, obscene. The older woman was very proper, he could tell that from their very first meeting. He had only met her the once – during university – and that was more than enough for him. He was certain the girl had never told her mother of Jonghyun’s preferences or he doubted the woman would have deigned to speak to him at all. As it was she looked down at him for studying music and not a ‘useful skill’.

 Jonghyun was sure his two friends would be tying the knot sometime soon. Any day now he expected an engagement ring to appear on his friend’s finger. The taller man had been hinting at it for weeks. So maybe her mother would finally be happy.

“The mysterious girlfriend didn’t show up then?” Jonghyun asked, “I want to meet this girl, you know.”

“I know.” Jiwoong said, not meeting Jonghyun’s eyes. “You will. Oh look,” He suddenly exclaimed, “my old high school art teacher just arrived. You guys have a look around. I want feedback.”

Onew raised his eyebrows as the artist practically melted into the crowds. “Why do I get the feeling he doesn’t want to talk about his girlfriend.”

Jonghyun waved his boyfriend’s words off, “He’ll break and confess eventually.”

“Sure he will,” Onew agreed. “Now, give me a tour.”

The idol and Jonghyun meandered around the room for a while, looking at the artwork. Occasionally, Jonghyun would notice one of the other attendees shooting Onew confused looks, as if they weren’t sure if he was someone they knew. The crowd in this room were not the usual idol crowd, so the two were not overly worried about causing a scene. Jonghyun was recognised far less often than his boyfriend, however, in fan circles, he was a well-known face. In this room though, the two men were (almost) nothing; just a friend of the artist. That didn’t mean they would act as anything other than friends, it wasn’t worth the risk, but it did mean Onew could attend without a disguise.

If they were recognised, Onew had reasoned, it would only be free publicity for Jiwoong and they knew the artist wouldn’t mind that. He would probably complain initially that it was unfair to every other starving artist who had to work their way from the bottom without a famous friend. However, he wasn’t the type to look a gift horse in the mouth. In fact, Onew considered, he could make some sort of SNS post about this show.

“Is that my toothbrush?” Jonghyun asked as he studied a small sculpture. It appeared to be an abstract... thing constructed from household objects including cutlery, kitchen sponges and toothbrushes.

Onew cocked his head to the side, observing the strange mass. It was aesthetically pleasing, if totally unidentifiable. He would give Jiwoong credit, he knew how to make works that were pleasant to look at, even if they were constructed from unusual materials. “It certainly looks like it.”

“Ok, he’s dead.”

-

“Suits again.” Onew complained, a year later, picking at his cuffs. “It’s always suits.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. At twenty seven, the singer was as whiny as ever when it came to dressing up formally. The composer could forgive him a little this time, however. They were heading to a university full of people who would likely recognise the singer. So, not only was he dressed in a smart suit, he was wearing a mask, oversized glasses and a hat, as well. Overall, it looked a little ridiculous and a lot uncomfortable. He knew that the singer hated those rare occasions when a mask was necessary, as did Jonghyun. The material pulled tight across the face and every breath resulted in a stifling moist heat that spread across the skin. It wasn’t comfortable.

“You know you love them really.” Jonghyun joked as he headed out the door.

“Oh yes, how could I forget? I love suits. The awkward chafing around the neck and crotch just gets me going.” Onew bantered back, following his boyfriend out. Pulling the door shut behind himself he headed towards the lifts. Shifting awkwardly, he pulled at his suit, trying to get the stiff material to sit right on his body.

Jonghyun looked at him and shrugged. The other man may complain but one couldn’t deny he looked damn fine in a suit. “You have strange kinks, who am I to judge?”

“The one who has to indulge me.” The singer whispered, leaning in close. The man smirked as he felt his shorter lover shiver as the heat of his breath breath ghosted across his face.

The blond pushed the taller man away, enjoying the look of shock that bloomed across his features. He clearly hadn’t expected Jonghyun to resist him. “We’re going to be late.”

“Your sister should be glad I like her.” Onew complained. “I wouldn’t do this for just anyone.”

“Yes you would,” Jonghyun said, as he entered the lift. Pushing the button for the basement level car park he quirked one eyebrow as Onew didn’t move. The man appeared to be deep in thought, as if considering what Jonghyun had said. Jonghyun knew he was right. If anyone (as long as long as the man knew them, obviously) had asked his boyfriend to attend an event like this, he wouldn’t have turned them down. He was so deep in thought that the lift doors began to close before he had entered – and totally not because Jonghyun had pressed the door close button, that would be preposterous.

The singer yelped and flailed towards the doors, one of his arms entering the lift and alerting the sensor to his presence. He entered the box quickly, looking around furtively as if to check if anyone in the deserted hallway saw that.

“Why am I dating you?” Jonghyun muttered, rolling his eyes. The quirk of his lips and the amusement in his voice gave away his true feelings, however.

“Because of my charming personality and stellar looks.”

“That must be it.” Jonghyun said, exiting the now stationary lift as the doors slid open once more. “Now let’s get going. We don’t want to be late.”

“Yes, sir.” Onew said, trotting after the composer as they headed to the car.

The trip to the university campus was one Jonghyun was well used to. He hadn’t attended the university in years and yet he still knew the way like the back of his hand. Guiding his boyfriend through the maze of buildings, the two men approached the main auditorium. The building was teeming with people: students in robes and hats, families decked out in their best, lecturers and teachers looking proud – or bored.

Looking around, Jonghyun pulled out his phone. “I’ll just find out where mum and co. are.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Onew agreed, observing the crowds. His voice was slightly muffled by the mask which he had subconsciously pulled higher up his face as soon as they entered the campus. He didn’t want to be recognised here. These people were all here to have their achievements recognised and the singer didn’t want to distract from that. In fact, he had considered not attending at all. However, Sodam was terrifying and persuasive when she wanted to be and had informed him he was attending and had no choice. He had honestly been a little touched by her invitation. He hadn’t expected it at all.

“Over there,” Jonghyun indicated, as he pointed through the crowds. By the main double doors, Onew could see a crowd of people he recognised. Jonghyun’s parents were stood, dressed up in their best, his mother waving, and for some reason, Jiwoong was also present.

“What up, losers?” The artist greeted, as the two approached.

“Not much, weirdo.” Jonghyun retorted.

“Boys, behave.” Jonghyun’s mother admonished, looking like she dealt with this far too often. Onew was amused as both roommates looked down at their feet and muttered an apology simultaneously. “Jinki dear, it’s wonderful to see you again,” the woman greeted the idol, smiling widely.

“You too, ma’am.” The idol responded. “And you, sir.” He addressed Jonghyun’s father who had remained as stoic and silent as ever, around Onew. “It’s been too long.”

“It has, you’ll just have to come for dinner sometime soon. We need to hear what’s been happening in your life.”

Onew smiled and nodded. He honestly liked Jonghyun’s parents. He had heard that his boyfriend went through some trouble when his uality was first revealed. However, the couple seemed to have fully come to terms with it at this point. In the years he and Jonghyun had been dating, he had interacted with the couple a fair few times. They were a little uptight and awkward at first but had soon come to accept his presence in their lives to be a long-term thing. Plus, Mrs. Kim was a fantastic cook.

“Can I come, Mrs. Kim?” Jiwoong asked, practically skipping behind the woman as the group moved into the hall to take their seats. “I do so love your cooking.”

Jonghyun’s mother raised a single eyebrow and looked him up and down. “If you think I would even consider letting you in my house, you have another thing coming.”

“Aww, come on, Mrs. Kim. You know you love me.” The artist pouted. It looked ridiculous; especially when taken in the context of his outfit. Whilst every other male in the group had gone with a sensible suit in a grey or black, the artist had decided maroon was his colour. Not only was it maroon but his suit, pants and all, was made from some velvety fabric that shone strangely in the light. He had coupled that with a royal blue shirt and a black leather tie and, overall, it all looked as eccentric as the man himself was.

“Last time you visited our home you stole all our spoons.” The woman deadpanned.

“That was for an art project. And he apologised.” Sodam’s voice came from behind the group. “Plus, that was years ago.”

“Sodam! You look fantastic.” Jonghyun exclaimed, spinning on the spot, looking at his younger sister. Hugging her tightly he ignored her struggles to get away.

“Jjong! Jjong, let go. Jjong, you’re rumpling my robe!”

Chuckling, the blonde man let go and held his sister at arm’s length. “Looking all academic. I’m so proud.” He wiped an imaginary tear from his eye and released his younger sibling. The girl endeavoured to put as much space between herself and the blonde as she could without leaving the small huddle the group had formed.

“You’re such a dork.” Jiwoong quipped.

“Why are you even here?” Jonghyun countered, sticking his tongue out at his roommate.

“Because I invited him, duh.” Sodam explained, like it was obvious. Which, to be honest, it probably was.

“Yeah, but why?” Jonghyun asked.

“Gotta have my boyfriend at my graduation. It’s like the rules.” Sodam shrugged.

“Yeah, that makes sense.” Jonghyun nodded absently before his sister’s words sunk in. “Wait! What?!”

“I’ve gotta go to my seat now, bye.” The girl said with a casual wave. Quickly pecking Jiwoong on the lips she practically skipped to her seat leaving a slightly stunned group staring after her.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Jonghyun lamented, staring at the artist like he had grown a second head. “You?”

“Me.” Jiwoong grinned, looking proud of himself.

“Wait, so all this time, the secret girlfriend? That was Sodam?”

“All this time?” Jonghyun’s mother echoed, horrified. “What do you mean all this time?”

“We’ve been dating officially for... I dunno like a year and a half now.” Jiwoong explained.

The woman made a strange noise that sounded somewhere between a groan and a sigh. “I guess I’ll have to get used to paint stains all around the house, then. You treat her right, Mr.”

As much as the woman complained about Jonghyun’s roommate, she secretly liked him a lot. Jonghyun had seen it time and time again, the woman would ban the artist from her house and then he would come over again, a few weeks later, to be greeted with open arms. Even his father tolerated the man. Which was impressive, considering his dislike of anything abnormal. 

“Will do!” Jiwoong saluted smartly, as if he was in the army. He ruined how smart and official he looked by the large grin adorning his face.

As the group filed into their seats, Onew leaned over to Jonghyun and said quietly, “I didn’t see that coming.”

Jonghyun didn’t reply but Onew took the strange wheezing squeak that left his mouth as a form of acceptance for the couple. Grabbing the blonde by the shoulders, the singer gently led the shell-shocked man to his seat and sat next to him, getting comfortable for what was sure to be a long ceremony.

 


CHAPTER NOTES: I call this arc the suit arc. There’s so many suits in this arc. In fact, I don’t think there’s a single chapter without suits.

Also, I have a couple of naive dreams about this fic. The first, is totally reachable and that is I'd love to hit 100 subscribers before I complete this story. That would be cool.
The second is basically impossible at this point (with the current rate of views), but I would die if I hit 10k views. That would be awesome. As I said, naive dream. But one can hope :P