Graduation day

The Life and Times of a SHINee Fanboy

 “Hurry up, nerds!” Eunji called into the boys’ apartment from the open doorway. She had a smile on her face despite the exasperation that was clear in her voice. “I thought it was women who’re slow to get ready.”

A deep chuckle came from behind the literature major, making her visibly jump. “They still not done?” Her boyfriend asked as he walked up behind the girl and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“No,” she grumbled, brushing down the front of her dressy skirt to remove any wrinkles that the man’s unexpected hug had created. “They’re being slow.” She said, raising her voice deliberately so it would carry to the two boys still inside the apartment.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming, woman.” Jiwoong laughed, still tying his tie as he strolled out of one of the bedrooms.

“Took your time,” Eunji muttered, ignoring the fact that the man hadn’t even tied his shoes and was now attempting to fix his hair in his phone screen. “Where’s big-shot?”

“Where do you think?” Jiwoong laughed, “He’s doing his hair.”

“He’s worse than you,” Eunji’s boyfriend chuckled, gesturing towards his girlfriend.

“I resent that, Youngho.” Jonghyun stated, walking out of the bathroom, completely put together and looking photoshoot ready. Gesturing to his entire self with one hand, he posed dramatically, “I take exactly as much time as I need to, to look this good.”

“Up yourself.” Jiwoong coughed into his hand dramatically, his phone now safely in his pocket and his shoes securely on his feet.

“You’re just jealous because you can’t pull off white blonde.” Jonghyun teased, sticking his tongue out at his roommate. “I saw you eyeing up my hair dye.”

“Yeah. Cool. Great. Manly pride. This is cool and all.” Eunji said, amused but also harried. “Let’s go, we’re going to be late.”

Youngho looked at his watch before placing a hand on his girlfriend’s shoulder in a placating manner, “We don’t need to be there until 2pm, we have plenty of time.”

“You do, we don’t!” Eunji protested. “Graduating students have to be there half an hour early.”

“Well... damn.” Jonghyun cursed. “Sorry, guys.” He ruffled his hair awkwardly before catching himself with an annoyed look. He stopped himself from ruining his hair style any more but he knew the ruffled strands were now going to annoy him all day. He was pretty sure that the SHINee documentary – and his sister - over three years ago had been both great and terrible for his self-image. Great, because it made him realise that he could be more out there with his image and overall look. Terrible, because he now spent a lot more time getting ready before he left the house than he ever had before, even in his awkward pimply phase in middle school.

Eunji let out a groan of frustration before spinning on her heel and striding down the hall. Youngho watched her walk away and looked at the other two males, shrugging slightly, before following his annoyed girlfriend. Her hair did this really appealing bouncy thing when she was flouncing angrily and Youngho could really appreciate that.

The remaining two males also walked down the hall way and out of the apartment building at a hurried pace. They had a graduation to get to.

The conversation in the car was stilted initially, with the only girl in the car pouting behind the wheel, her driving a little more erratic than usual. No one brought this up to the woman herself. All that would achieve was a greater level of road rage in the end and that was something no one in the car wanted to deal with.

Each male in the car dealt with the angry silence in their own way: Jonghyun zoned out completely, listening with half an ear to the radio that was pumping quiet pop music into the car and tapping his fingers to the rhythm. Jiwoong was fidgeting, awkwardly shifting in his seat next to Jonghyun, his fists clenching and unclenching in his lap. The artist was not used to staying silent for such long periods of time and it was making him antsy. He was a very outgoing person and the quiet of the car was not something he found comfortable. However, the university graduates all knew that if the girl didn’t calm down before the end of the journey, they were going to have to put up with her pouting all through the ceremony too. Thus, speaking and aggravating the girl more was guaranteed to be a bad idea.

Youngho did not have to worry about any of that. As a builder who had skipped the college experience, he was merely there as a one man cheer squad for his girlfriend and her friends. He kept up a continuous stream of quiet, inane comments throughout the drive, his hand resting gently on his girlfriend’s thigh. As he spoke and the journey dragged on, the tenseness in Eunji’s shoulders gradually drained away and by the end of the journey she had even began to joke back occasionally.

By the time the car pulled into the car park for the graduation venue, the girl was completely calmed down and even shot a smile at Jonghyun and Jiwoong as they stepped out of the car. The group rushed quickly into the venue, with the graduates heading straight to the robing room and handing over their robe rental forms. 

Once they were fully robed, the three felt a little more at ease. Shooing her boyfriend, who was still hanging around, towards the audience, Eunji followed the two boys as they headed towards the other congregating students, all of whom were milling around and fiddling awkwardly with their robes as the heavy material started to slip from their shoulders from their movements.

“See, we made it on time.” Jiwoong said, ignoring the sharp glance Jonghyun shot at him, hinting heavily that he should shut his mouth. “There was no need for you to worry.”

Eunji actually growled at the boy, her previous stress returning full-force, “Not worry? We are ten minutes late Park Jiwoong! We’re only fine because the staff are running late, too.”

The art major actually gulped and took a step backwards. The girl looked terrifying, with her simple make-up highlighting the fire in her eyes and her long hair flying behind her as she flicked it out of her face.

Jonghyun backed away slowly and left the two to it; the girl needed to let out her stress somehow and Jiwoong really did present a great target. Moving through the crowd of other graduating students, greeting those he knew happily and exchanging several high-fives on the way, Jonghyun made it out the other side and looked out into the audience. He smiled as he spotted the small group waiting for him.

It had taken him a lot of effort to acquire the four tickets he had. The university was very adamant that it should be family only and limited to two tickets per person. Thus, his parents had been easy to get tickets for. However, when he had wanted to invite Sodam and Sungkyu, there had been a few issues. Luckily, bonus guest tickets had been released at the last minute. It really wouldn’t have felt right to graduate without two of the most important people in his life present. Honestly, it would feel more wrong not to have them there than his parents. At one point, he had considered giving the tickets to the two. However, he could imagine the look on his mother’s face when she found out and that was something he couldn’t handle. Even theoretically.

He hoped his family were being nice to Sungkyu. They were each a completely separate part of Jonghyun’s life and therefore hadn’t spent much time together in the past, only meeting in passing once or twice. With Jonghyun’s father’s opinion of the music industry, things could get awkward fast. Luckily, Sungkyu didn’t take offence easily and Sodam was highly adept at deflecting people’s attention.

Waving to the group briefly, Jonghyun smiled when he received an exuberant wave from Sodam in return. The adults didn’t even notice him, continuing their conversation. From the smiles on all their faces they all seemed to be getting along. Even the male Kim looked interested in what the composer was saying. Jonghyun laughed aloud as his sister rolled her eyes dramatically and raised her arms to the sky when gesturing at their parents and Jonghyun’s mentor. Apparently he’d been worrying for nothing. Shaking his head, the music student headed back into the crowd of graduates, as the staff arrived and began to try to get their attention.

After a few brief announcements – all requesting audience members and graduates make their way to their seats – the students all sat down ready for the ceremony to start. Jonghyun looked up and made eye contact with Jiwoong who was seated five seats down from him, winking. Eunji was too far away from him for him to make eye contact with her, her student number being dramatically different to his and Jiwoong’s but he was sure the woman knew he was happy for her.

As the man on the stage started to talk, Jonghyun settled down in his seat, ready for a long period of sitting as he waited for the actual presentation part of the ceremony to begin.

Jonghyun was 100% sure he was going to trip and fall on his arse in front of several thousand people. His feet weren’t working right and he felt all light headed. He shuffled forward in the line, listening to the announcement of names with half an ear as he focused on moving his feet one in front of the other.

Stumbling up the steps, luckily managing to keep his balance and prevent himself from tripping, he moved across the stage, the clapping from the crowd muffling into background noise as he headed towards the Dean of his university and reached out to claim his certificate. Holding the rolled up paper in one hand, he grasped the older teacher’s hand with the other, shaking it firmly and grinning happily at the man. The man smiled back, looking proud yet also bored. Jonghyun, if he had been conscious enough to think at that moment would have understood why that was, hundreds of students had already crossed the stage that day and there were many more to come.

Finishing his walk across the stage – and not falling on his face – he turned and waved to the audience before practically bouncing down the steps and towards the area where his friends were seated, throwing a small salute in their direction. He smiled to himself as they each saluted back, Jiwoong’s a lot more dramatic than Eunji’s and drawing snickers from the students seated around them.

He had done it. Years of time and a lot of effort and he had done it!

-

“Congratulations to all the graduates!” Sodam announced to the table, raising her drink and resulting in a wave of other people at the table doing the same. A loud cheer of congratulations rang out for the three college graduates.

The restaurant was loud, their table consisting of friends, family and anyone else related to the three college graduates contributing much of the noise. All the people were eating, drinking and being generally happy for the three and the mood was light. Most of them had known the students throughout the entire process and knew how much time and effort had been put into their newly acquired qualifications.

Youngho grinned and nodded along with the younger Kim’s words. Standing up himself, he took over the speech giving role, ”Congratulations, you all worked hard and deserve this. I wish you luck in your future endeavours and hope you all have bright futures. Especially Eunji, who I have to support because she’s my girlfriend... who I love very much.” His last line and his quick defence drew laughs from the entire table and a huff of amusement from the girl in question.

“Especially those of us who don’t have a job already nicely laid out for them.” Jiwoong chipped in, raiding his glass and shooting a mock glare at the platinum blonde seated next to him.

Preening exaggeratedly, Jonghyun winked at the art student, “Your jealousy is showing.” Taking a casual sip of his drink, Jonghyun feigned indifference. However, the corner of his mouth was twitching into a proud smile and his excitement was not well hidden.

“Yeah, whatever. Just know I respect you, bro. You’re far better composer than I will ever be.” The boy muttered, scowling playfully.

“Maybe because that wasn’t your major.” Jonghyun said, rolling his eyes in amusement. “Go play with your paintbrushes.”

Jiwoong puffed up in real annoyance this time, looking a little like a startled hen. “’Play’!?”

“Wait,” Mrs. Kim said, sounding confused, “Our Jonghyun got a job already?” Her question successfully distracted the artist and stopped him from taking his revenge on the newly graduated composer. Jonghyun was a little surprised that information hadn’t come up in conversation before the ceremony started but he supposed Sungkyu planned to leave it as a surprise – or assumed Jonghyun had already informed his family about the job offer.

An average looking middle-aged man spoke up then, his voice soft but easily travelling to everyone at the table, “I am hiring him as a composition assistant with a pathway for a solo-career once he gets comfortable.”

Jonghyun grinned at his mentor, “And I owe you one, Sungkyu.”

The man smiled softly, “No, you don’t, Jonghyun. You earned this. You worked hard.”

“But...” Sodam said, looking at the man, sounding shocked, “Don’t you work for SM?”

“I do.”

“Congratulations, Jjong!” The girl practically screamed, ensuring that everyone on the table who wasn’t listening to their conversation definitely was now. “That is awesome. I knew you and Sungkyu pow-wow’d occasionally but to be a permanent employee!”

“Congratulations.” The boy’s mother echoed, along with a firm nod from his father who looked a little uncomfortable in the restaurant with all these people but otherwise happy for his son. “You have worked hard for this.”

“Thank you,” Jonghyun said, bashfully. He looked down at the table in front of him, getting embarrassed at all the attention focused on him. “I hope I can do a good job.”

The conversation quickly moved on, thanks to some socially sharp members around the table who sensed his discomfort. Soon a series of individual conversations had started once more and laughter was prevalent. From directly across the table, Sodam made eye contact with her brother and grinned at him, her gums on full display. “You did it, nerd.”

“I did.” Jonghyun agreed.

“Can’t believe my nerdy older brother got such a rad job.” Jonghyun pouted at this statement, looking conflicted as to whether he should take this comment as a compliment or an insult. “Oh my gosh!” She exclaimed suddenly – but not so loud as to gain the attention of the entire table once more, “You got a job because of SHINee! Who knew your little obsession would be so useful.”

Jonghyun blushed and glared at his sister. “Sodam!”

“What?” She asked, completely oblivious to her brother’s sudden discomfort – or maybe she knew and just didn’t care, it was hard to tell with that girl sometimes “It’s true. You wouldn’t have met Sungkyu unless you were SHINee obsessed.”

“Wait, is that true?” Jiwoong asked.

Jonghyun groaned, dropping his head onto his arms. His friends knew he was a fan of SHINee; Jonghyun hadn’t been able to hide it once they had moved in to the same building as each other and, in Jiwoong’s case, the same apartment. However, he had never explicitly mentioned how much of a fan he was. Neither of his friends or their significant others (when Jiwoong actually managed to keep a girlfriend for more than a month) were fans of the idol scene and hence, although they knew of Jonghyun’s song writing past, did not know many details.

“Sungkyu was the composer in charge of fixing up my competition entry for commercial use.”

“Whoa, cool.” Jiwoong exclaimed, “Plus, you’re basically famous already.”

“As if. Name a single famous composer.” Jonghyun challenged.

“It’s not my major, remember. Name a single famous artist.” Jiwoong countered, tapping his friend on the nose like he was a child.

“What are you, seven?” Eunji said, gently cuffing the artist over the head in amusement and judgement.

“Yes.” Jiwoong pouted, crossing his arms and stamping his foot before bursting into laughter.

Eunji rolled her eyes, muttering “boys” making eye contact with Sodam. The two girls weren’t close but, from the few times they had met, they got along well enough. Sodam occasionally came to visit Jonghyun now that he had moved out of home and the two girls talked, usually commiserating about the useless males in their lives.

“Oi!” Jiwoong protested loudly.

“Oh, shush you.” Eunji said, rolling her eyes at the overdramatic artist. “Now, Jjong. You better tell us this story in detail.”

“Ooh, I can help.” Sodam grinned. “I’ll dish all the juicy details he would leave out.”

“Don’t you dare!” Jonghyun warned his sister, pointing to his eyes then to her in an ‘I’m watching you’ gesture. Then he launched into the story, doing exactly what his sister said and not mentioning the more embarrassing parts. Unfortunately, the girl didn’t take his warning and chimed in occasionally with a humorous comment about Jonghyun’s teenage self – usually the incredibly humiliating kind. The blonde’s friends found his past obsessive love for the lead singer of the group especially hilarious. Jonghyun didn’t feel the need to tell them that he still considered the male his ideal type and harboured a huge crush on the man. Thankfully, Sodam – who totally knew – didn’t divulge either. 

Jonghyun was just glad the only people listening were his two friends, and Youngho. He did not want to imagine what his parents’ (or Sungkyu’s) reactions to that information would be.

An hour or so later, Jonghyun looked at all the gathered people, smiling softly. The conversations had all drifted to different topics and, for the time being, the boy was happy just to sit and listen to the merriment around him. Today had been everything he had dreamed of.

If you had asked him when he was in high school what he would be doing in five years time, well, he would never have thought it would be this. Since graduating high school he had been working tirelessly for this moment and here, today, those hours of work, the continuous penny-pinching, the countless hours studying and losing sleep were all worth it. Here he was, a music school graduate with a job already lined up for him, several songs already performed by famous artists and the best friends and family anyone could wish for.

 


CHAPTER NOTES: At the time of writing this, I hadn’t graduated myself. At the time of editing, I had. Hence, there were a lot of small details to change in this chapter. Luckily, there was nothing integral to the plot that I needed to change.