SHINee dorm?! Part 2

The Life and Times of a SHINee Fanboy

Key raised his eyebrow, looking critically at the two males in front of him. One, the older one, was currently sprawled across the floor, silent and his face a mask of concentration as he focused on the screen in front of him. His tongue was stuck out of his mouth, just a little, and his fingers skillfully moved across the controller he was holding. The other, the blonde, was still seated on the sofa, however he was leant forward as far as he could go in his seat and he was muttering what sounded like a string of insults under his breath.

Hearing a noise behind him, Key turned and shushed Taemin, who had just completed removing his shoes and dumping his bags in his room. Gesturing to the two males in the living room, Key indicated to keep quiet and Taemin, understanding his group mate’s motions, did just that.

Key watched out of the corner of his eye as the youngest member of SHINee crept into the living room, the two boys already in there too absorbed in their game to notice him enter. The rapper flinched a little as the blonde let out a particularly loud curse as his car appeared to ram into a barrier and Taemin snickered quietly as he swore he heard the words ‘never did that before Minho got home, distracted me, the tall loser’ in the stream of words. The dancer reached the edge of the couch and ducked down, so he was mostly hidden by the arm and therefore out of the composer’s view. From there, he had the ideal vantage point of his group mate and his friend to watch any potential embarrassing situations unfold.

Key remained in the doorway, standing just outside the doorframe and watching from there. He had no intention of being caught and potentially yelled at by Onew today, so that location was ideal. From there he could pretend he was merely standing there by chance or passing through – Taemin would have no such excuse.

Key was certain that Taemin was planning something nefarious. His creepy grin had only grown since he had claimed his hidden position and that grin usually meant he was planning to embarrass someone greatly.

Sadly, however, whatever amusing scenario would have unfolded failed to happen.

Instead, Taemin and Key both managed to embarrass themselves soundly. Not only drawing the attention of both Onew and his friend but also doing it in the least smooth way possible.

“What are you doing?” A deep voice asked from just behind Key.

Letting out a loud squeal, the rapper jumped harshly and managed to hit his shoulder on the doorframe in the process.

Taemin, startled by Key’s yell had let out a cry of his own and promptly toppled over, ending up sprawled across the living room floor in full view of the two males playing their game.

Onew and Jonghyun abandoned their race, both having crashed spectacularly as the yelling started, and made eye contact with each other. Jonghyun raised an eyebrow in question as Onew pushed himself back to a sitting position and observed his group mates. Shrugging, SHINee’s leader pulled a face at his friend that indicated he had no idea what was going on either.

Taemin pushed himself up from the floor and coughed – extremely fake and deeper than it probably needed to be – before backing out of the room quickly. Onew wasn’t sure but he thought the boy may have muttered a greeting and an excuse as he left. However, the words were too quiet and muffled to make out a he scurried away.

Key rounded on the tall male behind him, poking him in the chest with one finger, “What was that for, Choi Minho? Scared the hell out of me.”

Minho backed up a few steps, not sure he wanted to be in the same room as an angry Key. The look on the diva’s face was quite terrifying right now. “It was an honest question.” He said, raising his hands in front of him as if that would protect him. He wasn’t sure what he could say to appease the rapper.

“Don’t sneak up on people. Wear a bell or something.” He muttered as he too left the room, heading to the kitchen. “I’m making dinner. Your friend staying, Jinki?”

Jonghyun looked up at this, hearing himself referenced. He had been looking at Onew, after the other idols left the living room, trying to ascertain from his friend’s expression whether this was normal behaviour or not. There was something odd in Key’s voice. He wasn’t quite sure what it was. It wasn’t quite displeasure or dislike but there was something there. Maybe it was just embarrassment at being seen in anything other than his best light.

“Yeah, thanks.” Jinki called, shaking his head in exasperation. Making eye contact with Jonghyun, he spoke much quieter, “Life here is a little hectic.”

“You don’t say,” Jonghyun laughed. He shook off his confusion at the odd tone in the rapper’s voice and he looked back at his friend, amused by what had just happened. “So it’s always like this?”

“Depends on people’s moods.” Minho chimed in, moving from the doorway and sitting on the sofa next to Jonghyun. The blonde was quite proud of the fact he didn’t tense up at this and managed to appear unaffected that one of his favourite idols was currently sitting right next to him. On the same sofa. Right there. Well, he was mostly composed at least. Onew was looking at him in a way that suggested he knew what the blonde was thinking.

“Key and Minnie were out shopping so they’re in a good mood. Or they were ‘til I…” Minho chuckled, rubbing his neck and pulling a face that suggested he was remorseful.

“Key is always nicer when he’s been shopping. He even went to cook without complaining,” Onew chuckled.

“Anyway,” Minho started to speak before seeing Taemin reenter the room and cutting himself off.

The youngest group member had changed, his tight skinny jeans exchanged for a comfortable pair of sweat pants, though his oversized hoodie remained. He waved at Jonghyun as he entered, his long sleeves covering much of his hands.

“It’s nice to see you again, Jonghyun.” The rapper finished, once the youngest group member had settled himself comfortably on the floor next to his leader.

Jonghyun smiled at the tall male, “Thanks, it’s nice to see you too.” The blonde looked down at his lap, suddenly bashful. He wasn’t sure why but he found the tall boy a little intimidating. Despite him being nothing but nice and polite, he had a quiet presence that made Jonghyun more nervous than he was around Taemin – not that he’d interacted with the youngest SHINee member very much yet.

Taemin twisted around to look at the blonde, “Sorry to hear about all the s on the internet.” The boy said, his voice light despite the dark topic, like he was using it as an icebreaker. Onew reached across and cuffed the younger male across the back of the head, eliciting a yelp of pain. Clutching the back of his head and scowling at his leader, Taemin protested, “What was that for?”

“For being insensitive.” Onew said, deadpan.

“I wasn’t.” Taemin said, looking at Onew imploringly. Getting nothing but a raised eyebrow from SHINee’s leader he turned his attention to Minho. “I wasn’t, was I Minho?”

“You were.” Minho said, leaning back in his seat, crossing his arms.

“I don’t mind.” Jonghyun said, looking at the youngest in the room. He sensed that this situation was likely to become an argument if he didn’t say something and, despite the fact it would be a playful one, he wasn’t sure he wanted to be the cause of that. “I actually appreciate your bluntness.”

And he did. It had been three months since he had been publicly vilified and since then he had gradually come to terms with it. It still stung, of course, but he was mostly over it. However, after the initial conversations this progression of his feelings had mostly been achieved alone. His friends and family all supported him of course but most refused to mention that the event even occurred. Even if they did admit that, they often did so in a strongly apologetic way, like they regretted that they had to mention it. He was certain this subject avoidance was entirely due to them caring for him. He knew they did it because they didn’t want to bring up a sensitive topic and potentially make him upset. However, sometimes he wanted people to talk about it. He didn’t want people to avoid topics because they were afraid he would get emotional. So Taemin’s actions were refreshing.

“See!” Taemin crowed. “I wasn’t insensitive.”

“I never said that.” Jonghyun retorted.

“He got you there.” Minho chuckled, “Admit it Minnie, you’re insensitive.”

“Never!” Taemin protested. “I am the most sensitive of them all.”

“And I’m a woman.” Onew snorted.

Taemin looked at his leader in consideration. “I dunno, you could be. Your is certainly good enough.”

Onew choked on his own saliva, sitting up sharply and looked at Taemin in shock. Jonghyun, at the look on his friend’s face, doubled over laughing. After a full minute of laughter – just as Jonghyun began to wind down, Onew had looked at him with a pout and he had started all over again – his breathing was becoming laboured from the lack of oxygen entering his lungs and his cheeks hurt from grinning. He could see Minho out of the corner of his eye chuckling and alternating looking at Onew and Jonghyun himself, clearly finding both boys’ reactions amusing.

“When...” Onew spluttered, his mind clearly still a little confused. “Why?”

Taemin rolled his eyes and looked at his leader like he was an idiot. “We spend twenty four hours a day together during crunch time. We do dance practice together. We share a bathroom.” Taemin listed, ticking off the points on his fingers as he went. “When do you think?”

The dancer’s deadpan answer caused Jonghyun, who had just calmed himself down, to burst into more laughter. He now had a thin trail of tears making their way down his cheeks and he reached up to wipe them off, not caring about the wet patches now present on the sleeves of his casual jacket.

“Do I want to know?” A voice sounded from the doorway. Key stood with his arms crossed across his chest and one hip cocked out as he watched the scene in the living room. Not waiting for any answer, the rapper continued, “Food’s ready.” His piece said and assuming the assembled boys would follow, the male spun on the spot and returned back to the kitchen.

Minho pulled himself to his feet and stretched out his arms, likely due to muscle stiffness from his gym session earlier that day. “That was quick, wonder what we’re having.” He mumbled, as he walked out of the living room.

“Not sure,” Taemin said as he stood up nimbly and fell into step with the taller male. “But he mentioned having a load of left over side dishes and stuff.”

Onew slowly stood up from the floor and made eye contact with Jonghyun.  Holding out his hand, he helped the composer up and guided him to the kitchen. “Key’s a good cook. I promise.” He said, seeing Jonghyun’s sudden nervousness.

Jonghyun looked at SHINee’s leader and smiled slightly, fully aware that the male knew that that wasn’t the cause of his anxious feelings, but appreciating that he wasn’t bringing it up. In a few minutes, the entirety of his favourite idol group would be assembled at one table and he, Kim Jonghyun, would be there with them. It was a little surreal.

Onew bumped his shoulder gently against his friend’s and his hand reached across and squeezed the blonde’s hand gently. Jonghyun squeezed back briefly before letting go before they stepped into the kitchen. He knew it was overdramatic but this felt worse than any job interview ever had. Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself and stepped through the door. 

 


CHAPTER NOTES: I got some exciting news today. Assuming all my visa processing goes through properly, I am moving to South Korea (Gangwon province to be exact) to teach English for a year. I leave in 2 and a half weeks. I'm so scared and excited. You don't even know.