But if we don't look back, we're only learning then

Beautiful Disaster
 
 
"Doojoon?"
 
Doojoon feels his heartbeat getting quicker once seeing the face of his former boss, Baekhyun's former lover and first love.
 
"Dear, are you just gonna stand there?"
 
Doojoon blinks, returning from his trance, Gayoon's voice snaps him back to his senses. He sees Chanyeol smiling at his direction. With eyes wide in horror, he tries his best to return the smile, his legs work on their own and move towards the table.
 
Chanyeol stands up to greet him, almost making Doojoon jump. "It's been a long time. Glad to see you here."
 
"Y-yeah. Nice to see you again, s-sir."
 
"Drop the sir, silly. You're no longer working for me. So how are you?"
 
"I—I'm doing great."
 
Jihyun and Gayoon look at each other in befuddlement. Gayoon raises a brow. "You two know each other?" she asks with excitement.
 
"Yeah. I used to work in my company as a trained construction worker," Doojoon says, taking the seat next to his girlfriend. He gives her an awkward smile before putting an arm over her chair.
 
"You were a construction worker before?" Jihyun says.
 
"Well, yeah... I worked in the Park Inc. for two years. I left the country and trained as a photographer."
 
Gayoon sweetly smiles at him. She calls the waiter to order for his boyfriend.
 
"So, you're a photographer now?" Chanyeol suddenly asks, making Doojoon freeze in his position for a second.
 
"Y-yes." He chuckles slightly nervous. He can't even look at Chanyeol straight in the eyes. 
 
"And you reached Russia. That's great." Chanyeol added.
 
"And that's where we met," Gayoon chirped in. "We met in a wedding reception. He was taking photographs back there while I assist the helps and waiters. He asked my name and then one thing led to another, we started dating."
 
"That's cool. Fate is," Jihyun commented while Chanyeol agreed with a smile.
 
"So you guys are staying together?"
 
"Um. No. Her parents won't allow her," Doojoon answers. "They are very strict. Even in Russia, we never live together."
 
"That must be lonely then."
 
"A bit... but we have this friend in Russia. He's with Doojoon since they got in Russia. This cute and sweet guy was the only one who always kept as in touch like he's afraid if I and Doojoon would ever break up. He was just really nice. Thanks to Baekkie we're so inseparable."
 
Doojoon's face slightly scrunches after Gayoon mentioned their friend's name. However, they seem to catch Chanyeol's attention.
 
"Baekkie?"
 
Gayoon smiles widely. "Yeah. That's what's this cute guy's name is. His real name is Bee—"
 
Doojoon taps her foot with his, interrupting her statement. Gayoon turns to him and frowns. "What?" Doojoon shakes his head, giving her a disapproving look.
 
"I'm just introducing your bestfriend's name-"
 
Doojoon quickly leans to her ear and whispers, "I don't think he would like that."
 
They continue to bicker with each other while the other couple across them shrug and continue eating. After a minute, Doojoon wins the debate whether to tell Baekhyun's name or not. Gayoon just keeps eating and doesn't open again, making her boyfriend think she's already through. Then...
 
"Hmm. Their apple pie ala mode here is good," Gayoon compliments, tasting the dessert.
 
"I agree," Jihyun says.
 
Gayoon turns to her boyfriend. "Do you think Baekhyun will like this? I'd like to take out some for him."
 
Chanyeol stops from moving his knife while his hold tightens, his girlfriend beside him oblivious to his behavior. Dowoon mentally curses because he knows they're busted now.
 
"What?"
 
Gayoon pauses and looks at him, bewildered.
 
"B-Baekhyun. You said Baekhyun, if I'm correct..."
 
Gayoon quickly nods. "Yes. Our matchmaker, Doojoon's best friend, Byun Baekhyun."
 
Doojoon hits his own face with his palm.
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun's palms are sweating madly. He already wipes them harshly against his jeans. "Baek, you can do this," he chants to himself repeatedly, taking deep breaths. Before he could even change his mind, he raises his fist and knocks on the door three times. He quickly retracts his hand that is now shaking.
 
He hears some footsteps coming behind the door and he slightly shudders again. Before he knows it, the knob clicks, making him gasp.
 
His eyes are already wide as the door swings open. However, the person he expected to see isn't what greeted his sight, instead a  hunk topless tan guy.
 
"Oh, who are you?" Baekhyun asks in a scrutinizing way. He looks back at the door again to check if he got the correct room number but he's right. He turns back to the tan male and continues to give him a judging look.
 
The tan male chuckles, leaning against the doorframe. "I should ask you that. Who are you?"
 
"I- I thought it was Do Kyungsoo's room," Baekhyun mutters in uncertainty. He thinks the guy looks like a ert.
 
"Oh, yes. It is my baby's room." Baekhyun raises a brow. "But you still don't answer my question." The guy pauses to fold his arms across his chest, flexing more of his strong arms. "Who are you and what do you want with Kyungsoo?"
 
Baekhyun is taken a back for a split second. He his lip before replying. "I'm his frie—"
 
"Baby, who's in there?" Kyungsoo's voice suddenly booms. Baekhyun's familiar with that voice, his hope and nervousness restores. He waits patiently until Kyungsoo appears behind the tan male.
 
Baekhyun's heartbeat rises once looking at his best friend. Kyungsoo's reaction is almost the same as his. But Baekhyun notices the anger in those eyes. They keep staring at each other for too long, the silence seems to vibrate.
 
"Kyung—" He starts and tries to step in but the door is harshly slammed before his face.
 
Baekhyun sighs and bumps his forehead against the wooden door. His chest feels heavy again while his eyes beginning to create tears again.
 
"I told you to stop crying, damn it."
 
 
Kyungsoo didn't stop pacing nervously around the living room since he slammed the door on Baekhyun's face. This starts to make his boyfriend worry.
 
"Babe, are you alright?"
 
Jongin approaches the smaller male and tries to touch him and when he does, Kyungsoo flinches. Jongin completely worries because he can clearly see how his lover is shaking. 
 
"What's wrong? You look so frightened."
 
Kyungsoo finally opened his mouth but it took long before he made out a word. "Tell me w-why is he here? Why the hell is he in front of my door..."
 
"Kyung-"
 
Kyungsoo's head snapped at him with wide eyes. "Did you see him too. I'm not dreaming or something right?" he asks nervously, forcing a smile.
 
"Wha- Kyung, I saw him too. Tell me what the matter is. What did that guy do to you?"
 
"So, he's alive," Kyungsoo breathes out, his eyes never leave the floor. "B-but how? Why the hell is here now after w-what he did," Kyungsoo continued to utter to himself uncertainly.
 
"I don't understand what you're saying-" Jongin frowns when the other started crying. He runs to him and hold his shoulders. "Babe! Why are you crying? What the hell's going on?"
 
Kyungsoo continues to cover his face with his hands as he sob helplessly with his knees on the floor.
 
"Don't cry," Jongin shushes. He carefully moves Kyungsoo's hands away from his face and the tan male's heart broke seeing his lover crying.
 
The thing was he never saw Kyungsoo crying. This is the first time and it broke Jongin's heart instantly. His Kyungsoo was crying. Since he met the smaller, Jongin thought he's a walking stress reliever and smiles were unlimitedly showing on the smaller's face. He promised Kyungsoo that he will never let Kyungsoo cry but it was so sad he failed to keep that promise. And that us because of a stranger who just knocked in their door.
 
"Stop it, Kyung. Damn it, who the hell is that guy? If I knew he hurt you in the past I swear I will rip-"
 
"Don't, please. T-that guy is Baekhyun."
 
"Baekhyun?" Jongin frowns, trying to remember the familiar name. "You mean your best friend with disease?"
 
Kyungsoo slowly nods. Jongin is half relieved he stopped crying. "Yes. The one who ran away and left us all without any reason."
 
Baekhyun carelessly scribbles down his number on the small paper before slipping it under the door. Kyung, please call me if you're okay and not mad. I miss my bestfriend...
 
He sighed heavily before turning and walking away from the door. 
 
Now. There are only two people left on his list he needs to apologize to.
 
 
The dinner with the wedding organizer and her boyfriend already finished but something was still bothering Chanyeol after Doojoon left. Jihyun noticed his mood as they walked inside the company building.
 
"You okay?" She asked as they passed the guards.
 
Her voice cut Chanyeol off from his thoughts. "Y-yes. Why do you ask?"
 
"You look a bit pale since we left. I know something irks you. Now tell me," Jihyun said as they moved to the escalator.
 
Chanyeol sighed and took long for him to reply. "Okay. I admit." He paused. "Do you remember the couple's friend that they mentioned during the dinner."
 
Jihyun bit her lip while thinking. "You mean Baekhyun?"
 
Chanyeol's face lightly scrunched from hearing that name. It always hit him when hearing his ex's name but this time it's weird when it came from his girlfriend. 
 
"Y-yeah."
 
'Why? Does he sound familiar to you? Doesn't it?" 
 
Chanyeol shrugged. "Yes. Maybe they just happen to have the same name."
 
"You're right.... But who is this Baekhyun in your life? You never mentioned him before. Is he an acquaintance? Friend? Relative or what?"
 
Chanyeol turns his head away, avoiding his girlfriend's eyes. Should he tell the truth or not. Jihyun deserved to know though but Chanyeol doesn't want flip the pages of the past again. It only costs pain to him.
 
"It's not important anymore... but he was a close friend of mine but that's already in the past, is all."
 
Jihyun nodded but she remained wondering. "Why? What happened to him?"
 
"He just left. I don't know why and I don't care. Only Heavens knows where he is right now," Chanyeol said before they enter the meeting room.
 
He didn't say more to his girlfriend about his doubts. He didn't tell Jihyun that he suspected Doojoon and Gayoon's little friend as Baekhyun. He doesn't want Jihyun to worry about his past lover. The guy who left him two years ago after a car accident without any trace but a single piece of goodbye letter. What a pity.
 
They were better off without Baekhyun around. Chanyeol was sure of that.
 
 
-
Baekhyun walked a bit downfall when he headed back home to his shared apartment with Doojoon. He thought Kyungsoo will give him the chance to apologize and talk to him but Baekhyun was wrong. He should've see it coming after all he left and hurt Kyungsoo but the thought of his bestfriend mad and unforgiving him made Baekhyun feel a pang on his chest. 
 
He's already cured and disease-free but he's still emotionally ill. Longing for his love ones, especially the man in his heart for the long time. Chanyeol.
 
Baekhyun sighs dejectedly before opening the door with a key. He walks inside the apartment and the first thing he gets to hear are giggles from two people. A girl and a boy. 
 
He slowly walked in the kitchen and smiled as he saw the couple. Here they are again.
 
"Oh, Baekkie, you're here!" Gayoon shouted gleefully. Baekhyun noticed his friends were feeding each other with some weird flavored ice cream before he came in the picture.
 
'No, it's just my hologram," Baekhyun joked but Gayoon ignored it took his bag from his shoulder.
 
"You better eat now. We saved some for you in the fridge."
 
Baekhyun shook his head, watching Gayoon's disappear. "No, I'm not in the mood to eat."
 
"So, how's your trip?" Doojoon asked, a spoon. "Did you see Kyungsoo?"
 
Baekhyun shook his head and the sadness slowly came out again. "He seemed still angry at me. He slammed the door on my face."
 
He takes the seat across Doojoon and plays at the plastic spoons. "Just as expected, everybody still hates me. Great."
 
"Well you have to try harder you know if you want to win them back," Doojoon comments, still ravaging his mint chocolate ice cream.
 
"I know but it's just-" Baekhyun's voice cracked and he's near into crying again. "It just hurts knowing your friends don't want to see you like I'm the last person they wanted to see. But I can't blame them you know. I left and didn't show up for two years."
 
Doojoon reaches for a wipe an hands it to his friend. The younger mumbles a "thanks" at him and Doojoon smiles in return. Gayoon came back and pouted when she saw Baekhyun crying. She took the chair beside Baekhyun to rub his back.
 
"It's okay, Baekkie. You can make it."
 
Baekhyun blew on the wipe. "I- I just don't think how will Chanyeol react if he see me again."
 
Gayoon flinches, she looks at her boyfriend with wide eyes who almost choked from the ice cream. They forgot to mention about Park Chanyeol.
 
After recovering from the choke, Gayoon nods at Doojoon, nudging him to speak while Baekhyun is still busy wiping his tears off.
 
"Um, Baek, we need to tell you something," Doojoon starts and easily gets Baekhyun's attention.
 
"Yeah?"
 
Gayoon turns to Baekhyun and holds his hand."You know we had a double date with our new clients lately, right?" 
 
Baekhyun nods. His calmness is restored. "Yes, the engaged couple?"
 
Doojoon bites his lip. "Yes, about that... I don't want to hurt your feelings but we kind of shared a table with Park Chanyeol in the dinner."
 
"You saw him?" Baekhyun's eyes widened. He was so excited he didn't easily realize what Doojoon meant. "That means he's still here." He smiled. "Oh my god, that's great I have to see him."
 
Gayoon quirked her lips and shook her head. "Oh Baek... you don't understand. Chanyeol is half of the client we met and had a double date with earlier."
 
Baekhyun's smile slowly faded. "Wha-"
 
Doojoon blows raspberry. "Chanyeol and his fiancée are the couple that we met and had dinner with this afternoon."
 
Baekhyun frowns and pinches his lips. Suddenly, his chest felt heavy and full. He couldn't breathe. The thought of Chanyeol engaged and getting married to someone else hurt like hell.
 
"A-are you serious?" Baekhyun asks, voice quavered deep in his throat. He didn't want to show he's upset and devastated at the fact but he couldn’t help it. The information just got him easily despondent.
 
Doojoon "Yes, Baek. I'm sorry."
 
Gayoon sighed and rubbed his back again, resting her chin on his shoulder while Baekhyun was still silent and not responding.
 
Chanyeol is engaged.
 
Chanyeol is happy.
 
I don't see any reason why to feel heartsick.
 
"It's okay. What are you apologizing for?" Baekhyun tries his best to stretch his lips into smile. "Just send my "congratulations" to them."
 
"Are you sure?" Doojoon doubts. "Baek?"
 
Forcing a smile is really hard to achieve. "Oh, sure." Loosing another person in your life won't hurt that much. "I'm fine. Why am I not?"
 
"This is your ex we're talking about," Gayoon says. "How come you're so fine?"
 
Baekhyun scoffs. “What do you want me to do then? Break them apart? Stole him from her? You will lose a client if I do that."
 
"Don't make this conversation more complicated than it has to be," Doojoon mutters in a serious tone. "Remember, you still need to see and talk to that guy."
 
"What for? He’s already doing fine and his life is perfect. He's going to have a wife for god's sake and if I just show up, what do you think will happen? I'll everything up. Like I did two years ago when I showed up in his damn building." Baekhyun pauses, suppressing the tears from coming out. "I better be dead in his life. In that way, I will not bother him anymore."
 
"I'm sorry."
 
"I didn't even expect that we will ever get together again," Baekhyun added, raking his hair with his other hand.
 
He wasn't lying when he said that part but his heart was longing for Chanyeol though. It was selfishness but he wanted Chanyeol so bad after all. It is so far-fetched to think Chanyeol will forgive him again. No, Chanyeol might have already considered him dead. He must've moved on and living happy again. Baekhyun doesn't want to spoil that ever again especially that there's already someone else in his life that will surely not leave and hurt him that way he did before.
 
It hurts. But he has to accept it.
 
His wish for Chanyeol to become happy finally comes true. He doesn’t have anything to complain, even when his heart already starts bleeding again.
 
"I'm okay. I assure you that. You're right, I might need to see Chanyeol but not soon. Maybe any day after he gets married." 
 
Doojoon and Gayoon smiled at him. The couple went back to eating ice cream sweetly together. Baekhyun just keeps silently sitting next to them when his phone suddenly vibrates from his pocket. He slightly jumps in surprise and quickly takes the phone out of his pocket.
 
He frowns seeing an unknown number before reading the message. 
 
“Meet me in the bar where we used to hang out during weekend at twelve noon. You better explain everything. Silly.”
~Kyungsoo
 
A smile crawled on Baekhyun's face after reading the short entire message. Doojoon's head jerked up seeing Baekhyun suddenly smiling.
 
"God, our friend's getting crazy. He's smiling now when he just finished sobbing."
 
Baekhyun quickly counters at that. "Idiot, I received a text from Kyungsoo. He said he wanted to meet me and have a talk. Thank God he gives me a chance."
 
Gayoon chuckles. "See? A true friend will never turn their back from you when you need them. He will forgive you no matter how big the mistake that you did."
 
Baekhyun smiled in agreement. Kyungsoo is indeed a friend. 
 
 
 
-
The appearance of the bar was quite new for Baekhyun. He remembers the painting of the building was white the last time he visited the place but now it is painted red. The whole appearance of the bar became more colorful, neat and wide. Probably, the bar has a new owner now and he got a pretty good taste.
 
It’s still noon so there is no much people around in the bar. Baekhyun slightly thanks Kyungsoo for planning the time and place intelligently.
 
He enters the bar and strolls around, looking for Kyungsoo. Some of them are  drinking and talking silently. Then he remembers their usual table in the corner of the left side of the bar near the windows. The table that is isolated from other people dancing and partying.
 
He heads to the said table and he mentally thanks his instincts for finding Kyungsoo. There he is, sitting in the corner while busily tapping something on his phone. Certainly, his boyfriend.  
 
Baekhyun cannot help but form a brittle smile as he approach the table. Kyungsoo's face instantly changes into shocked seeing Baekhyun standing lively before him. Baekhyun just stood there while looking down at his bestfriend with some sort of "sorry" smile. Kyungsoo's eyes are still wide and in state of shock, completely forgetting his boyfriend on the phone.
 
"Good Lord," Kyungsoo whispers. "You're really alive." 
 
He slowly reaches his hand forward to touch Baekhyun's sleeve to clear if he's right and he was. 
 
Kyungsoo quickly stands up from his seat, surprising Baekhyun. Baekhyun thought Kyungsoo's going to push or hit him but he was surprised when Kyungsoo shoved himself to him and wraps his arms around him.
 
It took seconds before Baekhyun realized what just happened. Kyungsoo was actually hugging him and he was crying against his neck. He feels an ache in his heart.
 
"You idiot. You don't know how much we missed you. I thought you're dead! I thought I'm not going to see my bestfriend anymore... You don't know how it hurt to leave alone in a big apartment," Kyungsoo sputters, holding on his bestfriend’s shoulders.
 
Baekhyun's brows curves and unknowingly, he starts to cry as well. He hugs Kyungsoo back, tightly. And it felt good, feeling his bestfriend's embrace for the longest time. They are both in bliss.
 
As soon as they settled table, Kyungsoo excitedly asks him tons of questions while continuing to blunder.
 
"How are you? You look more- I don't know, handsome- no. Gorgeous- yes, that's the right word."
 
Baekhyun smiles widely, his eyes forming into crescents. "Thanks, Soo. You're not bad yourself. You're still so... Kyungsoo. God, I miss you," Baekhyun mumbles a bit sad.
 
"I miss you too," Kyungsoo mumbles back with pouted lips. "God, the time you left I thought of killing you after leaving us all behind. You don't know how much pain you caused to me, especially to Chanyeol. He was devastated and oh, you wouldn't imagine how he looked so sad and ruined."
 
"I know. I know. I'm so sorry. I left you guys for two years."
 
"Yes, two years. Two years of pain you gave. Speaking of, where did you go and what business did you do for two years?!"
 
Baekhyun sighed. "I took the suggestion that Dr. Hyunwoo suggested two years ago."
 
Kyungsoo blinks. "You mean-"
 
"Yes, the medical institution in Russia. I went there to treat and cure my disease. The progress was long but thank God, it was successful. I thought I was going to die in Russia when the medication failed but I was wrong. Three days later they checked me up again and they were all surprised when finding the cancer was starting to diminish... until then it disappeared inside me. I'm no longer dying."
 
For a second, Kyungsoo couldn't believe what he just heard. "Oh my God. I'm so happy I could die now," he exclaims, pressing his palms together. "But how and why did you have to go there secretly?"
 
"It was a rush decision actually but me and Doojoon were also planning and talking about it since I was suggested to go to Russia."
 
"Who's Doojoon?"
 
"He's a friend. We met in the mountain where I worked with Yongguk and Chanyeol. He's one of Chanyeol's construction workers. Anyway, he had been pestering me to take the offer in Russia since he's going there anyway. So, that night when I freshly got in an accident. I texted Doojoon right away to get me. He got there with my things and I left a note under the pillow before leaving the hospital- and all of you guys."
 
"But you still have injuries at that time. How the hell did-"
 
"I didn't left country that fast. I have to stay in Doojoon's place to heal for a week and Dr. Hyunwoo's been secretly visiting me there."
 
Kyungsoo's lips form an "o".  "So technically, you're still in the goddamn country the whole week before you left."
 
"Right. So, I flew to Russia with Doojoon, waited for one and three months to heal and one thing led to another, here am I in front of you, alive and kicking."
 
Kyungsoo was silent for a moment while gaping at his bestfriend, wondering how Baekhyun coped all of them. 
 
"So again, I'm sorry, Kyungsoo."
 
"Idiot. I forgive you b-but why did you have to go suddenly right after the accident? Why did you change your mind to go to Russia?"
 
"That's because I felt so bad from rejecting Chanyeol. I gave him a lot of pain and disaster. So I- I thought he didn't deserve me... that he needed to keep himself away from me because I only caused bad things to him."
 
"Oh my god, that was stupid. Why do you think of that? He will still love you for God's sake even if he had to wait two years for you to heal. You don't need to leave him."
 
"He didn't deserve me, Kyung. I don't deserve him."
 
"But that's before but right now you're perfectly fine and ill-free. Did you think you will actually get cured?"
 
Baekhyun pauses for a moment, looking at the window. "I only half expected the treatment would be successful like I never prayed in any miracles to happen. You know I never push my hopes up.”
 
"I get it. You didn't know if the whole treatment would be successful or not."
 
"Yes.
 
"But you still love him, right?"
 
The sudden question catches Baekhyun off guard. He looks up at Kyungsoo with blank face. But there's no denying.
 
"Yes. He's still the one in my heart after all the kind people that passed me."
 
"B-but you know he has-"
 
"A girlfriend? Wait, in a better title, fiancée. Fiancé, right?"
 
"Yes. Her name's Jihyun. They're engaged now for half a year and they're planning it now, from what I heard."
 
"Yes, the funny part is, my friend Gayoon is their wedding organizer. So cliché, right? Gayoon even suggested me to be their wedding singer like seriously, that would be so freaking weird, right?"
 
"Yeah. That's uncanny," Kyungsoo agrees.
 
Baekhyun laughs. "Let's not talk about them, please? Now let's move the spotlight to you, Kyung. How's your life?"
 
Kyungsoo sighs and rolls his eyes. "I'm still teaching in highschool but I moved to a higher grade. I renovated the apartment which officially belongs to me now after the landlord got bored and sold it to me."
 
"Wow. That's nice." Then Baekhyun giggled. "But god-  you have a boyfriend now!" What's his name?!" Baekhyun squealed and Kyungsoo only laughed. 
 
"Oh my God, that was so embarrassing. You have to meet him half-. That idiot. I told him not to parade his body around other people."
 
"Only for you?" Baekhyun teases.
 
Soo rolls his eyes. "The idiot's name is Jongin. He's one of the members of board of directors in your ex's company. So whether I like it or not, I still have connection with that giant ex of yours. That'd why I'm also updated to his love life." Baekhyun's expression changed after mentioning Chanyeol's love life and Kyungsoo quickly took it back. "Well, speaking of. I heard they were just business related engaged. Chanyeol only approved the deal for the company's sake so Chanyeol may or may not have true feelings for her. What I'm saying is you still have chance to still him away from the other party and get her out of the picture."
 
"That's mean, Kyungsoo… and do you think I can do that?"
 
"With a kind heart like yours, of course you can't possibly break them but when it comes to love, impossible things may happen.”
 
Baekhyun stills silent for a minute. He his head to the side. “Are you implying something to me?”
 
“Obviously, your love story isn’t over yet. Look, I don’t have anything against his fiancée or something but…” Kyungsoo’s mouth twists into a devilish smirk. “I’ll help you win Chanyeol back whatever it takes.”
 
 

a/n:

There you go, baek comes back alive and kicking and ready to fight. I hope some of you can breathe now.