chapter 24

Let's meet in our next life

It turns out Jb and Junior came over to invite them to another sleep over at Jb's this weekend, with some hesitation, they agreed.

So here they were now, sitting on Jb's couch a few days later.

"So, what brought on the sudden want of another sleep over hyung?" Bambam asked as he bit into a cookie.

"Not much really." Jb said with a shrug " I just thought it would be a good break for everyone since we got assigned that partner essay.

"Aww ever the good hyung! Always thinking of us!" Yugyeom teased as Bamabam whispered "Even though it was only the older hyungs who had to do the essay."

Jb promptly ignored both of them as the others chuckled.

"Hey, Why don't we play  game!"  Youngjae said with a smile.

"What kind of game?" Jackson asked with a raised brow.

"I didn't think that far ahead." He admitted with a sheepish smile.

A few moments later Bambam started jumping up and down in excitement, waving his hand in the air.

"I know, I know!" He shouted.

"What is it Bambam?" Junior asked curiously.

"Lets play 20 questions!" He said with a wide grin and a few of the others groaned.

"That game's so boring! We already know basically everything about each other." Yugyeom whined

"Not Mark. He doesn't know much about us."  Youngjae pointed out as Bambam nodded.

"That's actually true." Jb sighed.

Everyone looked at Mark who looked slightly uncomfortable at the attention.

"But it would be boring if he just asks us about our selfs right?" Junior quesioned, earning curious looks he continued "How about we play a game then were we asks questions about our selfs to each other and they have to answer them? You know, like a friend quiz?"

Jb frowned "But we still have the same problem. We haven't know Mark for long so most answers would probably be wrong."

"I have an Idea." Bambam said getting their attention "Why don't we just share stories instead?"

"That's okay with me." Mark agreed, so that's what they ended up doing. They started out with stories like 'What was your first day at school like? or "How did you meet?" before getting more personal.

"So Jackson-hyung, this has actually been a question I've been wanting to ask since I met you but didn't know how to ask." Bambam started.

"Ask away." Jackson said, feeling uneasy for some reason.

"Is Jackson your real name?" Bambam asked.

Jackson let out an small laugh "What makes you think it's not?" He asked back.

"You're from Hong kong right? Jackson doesn't sound chinese."  Junior reasoned.

Jb narrowed his eyes in confusion when he noticed Jackson tensing slightly.

"No,it's not." Jackson agreed "Doesn't mean it's not my name."

"But you're not from America so shouldn't you have a Chinese name?" Youngjae asked.*

"By that logic you should be asking Mark too." Jackson shot back, surprising Mark.

"Mark-hyung's Chinese?"  Yugyeom asked with a small tilt of his head.

Oh, that's right. Mark never told them he was Taiwanese. But then, He glanced at Jackson who was
staring down at his hands, how did Jackson know? he didn't tell him either.

"Um,Yeah. I'm Taiwanese. I was just raised in LA." Mark replied.

"So do you have a Chinese name?" Bambam asked excitedly.

"Ah, Not that I know of. Sorry." He responded with a apologetic smile.

"No Chinese name?" Jb repeated "Is it because you're from LA?" He wondered before shaking his head
"Jackson's from Hong kong though." He muttered.

"Can we just forget about it please? Does it really matter whether or not I have a Chinese name? My name is Jackson and that's that." He finally snapped getting up "I'm going to the bathroom." He muttered as he walked away.

"Woah." Yugyeom said stunned.

"What's up with him?" Junior asked Mark.

"Why are you asking me?" He replied with wide eyes.

"You two have been practically joined at the hip since you moved here, so I thought you might know something we didn't. Sorry if I was wrong." Junior said, looking at him apologetically.

Mark sighed but decided not to say anything .

After it was clear that Jack wasn't going to be coming back anytime soon and the others were looking at him expectantly, he reluctantly got up.

"I'll go check on him." Mark muttered as he head out of the room.
.............................................................................................................................
Jackson growled as he walked into the bathroom almost slamming the door behind him, he managed to catch it just before it hit. With a sigh he the sink and leaned down to splash some water on his face.

"Idiot." He whispered, closing his eyes tightly "Why couldn't you just tell them?"

He shook his head. No. He couldn't do that. Then Mark would know.

'If he didn't figure it out already.' He forced the thought away.

He could lie again but he was always hated lying, especially to him.

"But isn't that what I'm doing now?" He snorted before shutting of the sink and sliding down the wall across from it, letting his head drop to his knees.

"Jackson?" He heard a voice call out some time later.

He looked up at the door "What?" He asked.

"You okay?" Mark. That was definitely Mark's voice.

'No.' He thought "Yeah." He replied.

"You don't sound like it." Jackson almost smiled, Of course Mark could tell when he was lying.

"I'm coming in." He didn't have time to check the lock or even move before Mark opened the door and walked in shutting it behind him.

"How'd you know it was unlocked?" Jackson asked with slight frown.

"Call it a gut feeling." He said with a slight smirk.

"Right." Jackson huffed.

"You left the door open a crack." Mark admitted "So even if you locked it, I still could have gotten in."His smirk died down and a concerned frown took it's place "Hey, You okay?" He asked again.

"I already answered." Jackson muttered as he looked away.

"And I already told you, you don't sound like it and now that I look at you, you don't look it either." Mark crouched down to be on the same eye level as Jackson "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing." 'Everything' Jackson clenched his teeth to keep himself from saying his thoughts.

"Don't lie to me." Mark said.

"I'm not." 'I am.' He clenched his teeth tighter.

"Bull. You obviously have something you want to say. Unless you're just trying to break your teeth for no reason with how tight you're clenching them." Mark deadpanned.

Jackson forced himself to unclenched his teeth but he still didn't reply.

"Damn it Jackson." Mark growled standing up abruptly "What is going on with you? Why does the fact that you have no Chinese name bother you so much? I honestly don't understand."

Jackson took a sharp breath and looked down "I never said I didn't have one" He whispered before he could stop himself.

"What?" Mark blinked in confusion "Then do you hate it or something? Is that why you don't anyone to know?" Mark's face softened "Jackson you don't have to be ashamed of not liking your birth name.Lots of people change their name."

Jackson bit his lip "I don't hate it either." He quietly muttered still not looking at Mark.

"Then...Why don't you want anyone to know it?" He asked confused.

Jackson snorted "It's not as if they'd remember it anyway." He instantly wanted a hole to appear and swallow him whole when he noticed Mark tense up out of the corner of his eye. .

"What?" Mark whispered with wide eyes.

"What?" Jackson asked back, tyring to look as innocent as possible but it didn't seem to be working.

"No. Don't you what? me. What did you mean?" Mark asked "Tell me!" His voice was rising but he didn't care "What did you mean they won't remember anyway?"

He could tell Mark was getting anxious. This wasn't good.

"I just meant it's not a very memorable name?" He tried but since he accidentally phrased it like a question and kept glancing away from Mark, He saw right through it.

"Bullsht." Mark whispered shakily as he tried to process everything but it was getting all jumbled up.

He hadn't told Jaackson about his most recent dreaam yet, They had gotten interrupted by Jb and Junior before he could start and then it just didn't come up again. So how did Jackson know?  That people forget them? Maybe he was starting to dream too? No, he would have told him but then the only other option would be-

"When?" He asked shaking slightly as he fell back against the sink.

"When what?" Jackson repeated uneasily.

"You know exactly what I mean." Mark growled "When did you start to remember? Tell me!" Mark shouted not caring in the least if their friends could hear them, he needed to know.

Jackson got up and reached a hand out to Mark but he flinched back so Jackson let his hand drop to his side with a sigh.

"Tell me Jack-No." Mark shook his head " Tell me-" He took a shaky breath "Jia."  And Jackson crumpled.

"I-I..." Jia's breath hitched "I'm sorry." He whispered, tears threatened to fall.

"Just-Just tell me when. Was it after you read the book? Before? Hell-" He let out a humorless laugh "Was there ever a Jackson to begin with?" He asked.

Jia could tell he was getting hysterical but he knew there wasn't really anything he could do about it, right now anyway.

"Of course there was a Jackson." Jia said before grimacing a little "You always hated this part." He stated honestly.

"What-" Mark took a deep breath "What happened to him?" Mark's not sure if he really wanted to know.

"I'm still Jackson." Jia said  "Just a little different." Jia sighed

"Like hell you are." Mark growled.

Jia grinned a little cruelly "You never noticed so that must mean something right? Besides, we got the same memories, the same face." He stated.

"When did he-I mean you-" Mark cut himself off not ble to finish the sentence.

"Change?" Jia supplied  and at Mark's nod he sighed but replied "After the book. I started to remember as I read the book and soon enough I was here."

"But I don't understand." Mark whispered "I keep getting the dreams so why did you 'change' first?"
He asked.

"We could never figure that out. I always thought it was because you have a weaker system so it takes your mind longer to process the change. You disagreed of course." Jia smirked a little.

"Stop it with the me and you! There is no me and you! I'm not who you think I am." Mark said frustrated and annoyed.

"Not yet. You will be soon." Jia reminded gently but Mark shook his head.

"No. No, I will not be- be whoever it is I'm supposed to be." Mark disagreed.

"You just said so yourself, You're supposed to do this. No matter how much you dislike it, you will change." Jia said firmly.

Mark couldn't believe what he just heard, change? Be someone else? What will happen to him?

"What will happen to me?" He whispered.

"I told you, You'll still be yourself. Just a little different." Jia's soft tone was a large contrast to his harsh words. Mark couldn't take it anymore, he ran out of the bath room.

"Mark!" Jia shouted after him "Damn it." He muttered before following after.

..........................................

A.N Sorry it took so long. This chapter was giving me problems. I still don't quite like how it turned out. Next chapter should be the last...and hopefully I will get it out sooner.

*I apologise for this whlole conversation/chapter. When I first wrote it I just wanted Mark to find out about Jia, so If it seems out off or anything like that I apologise, I tried to fix it as best I could.