It All Falls Down

(Never) Meant To Be

 

Chapter 47 – It All Falls Down

 

I actually had a place to be today. Eunjung, in her ultimate kindness, had found a clinic that spoke English to check for the pregnancy. Because of my situation, we’d done most of the paperwork over the phone, but eventually, and especially since I was already technically so far along, they wanted me to go for blood tests and other things. Eunjung had even been willing to stay behind to accompany me to my first appointment since Tae couldn’t come. I’d tried to convince him that it didn’t matter since it was just blood tests and his management probably wouldn’t let him come anyways. They were already pissed enough at the stunt he’d pulled two nights ago. He’d made a sad face at that, but hadn’t argued, since we both knew it was true.

 

“There will be more appointments for you to attend”. I told him.

 

Who knew, at the time, that would turn out to be a lie?

 

The hospital was in Itaewon, and it since Eun-jung lived quite near, it was more convenient for us to meet there, so we made a plan to meet outside the station at 2pm. I came out of my place an hour in advance, fully bundled up, in oversized grey sweats and a mask, carrying a sports bag with my things in it instead of a purse. So to any bystander, it would look like I was just going to the gym or something. I was worried, yes. But all these precautions, they felt ridiculous to me. I was not nearly as scared as I should’ve been.

 

I should have been.

 

I walked four steps away from my door and they were waiting for me in the staircase.

 

Four Korean girls. Staring.

 

I didn’t know them so I tried to move my way past them, as if they had nothing to do with me. The first two let me through, casting me evil glares that made me want to turn and ask what their problem was but I just kept my eyes down, past the 3rd one, and thought I’d made it clear when then last one tripped me with her leg. I wasn’t concentrating enough so it had the indented effect: I fell flat on my face.

 

“B*tch, what’s your problem?!” I snapped at her, ready to tear her a new one, and she went “Komawoooo….” in a honeyed voice, pouting at me.

 

I knew what this was about. I’d read the translations of Tae’s letter, even though it had indeed been taken down less than an hour after he’d posted it. But that was long enough. International fans were too quick and translated versions were circulating all over the internet at that very moment. When I’d read it, I’d been speechless. First, I was incredibly touched, but then baffled by his incredible stupidity… I knew there had to be repercussions… But even though I was angry as hell at this girl, the rational part of my brain told me I needed to get away. So I turned around and prepared to make my way down the rest of the stairs.

 

Where you think you’re going, B*tch?!” asked the second one, in Korean, grabbing at my head but only succeeding at making my hood fall off.

 

I ran – officially scared. I only made it down two flights of stairs. They were all around me. plastering me to the wall at the top of the next flight, shouting obscenities at me. I couldn’t understand most of what they said, which was probably for the best, but “you should die” was unfortunately one of the newest additions to my Korean vocabulary and the occasional “b*tch” thrown in for my benefit, along with Taehyung’s name and the words “Bangtan” and “ARMY” easily told me what this was about.

 

They pushed, me, shoved me against the wall, pulled my hair, scratched my face… I tried to take my phone out to call Eunjung but one of them slapped it out of my hand, then she slapped me. I was scared. I was really scared. They all looked about 18-21 years old, but I was truly, genuinely scared. I closed my eyes tightly and heard one of them laugh as she pulled my hair and shook me.

 

Then, one of them stepped in front of me – maybe cuz she was the leader, or maybe because she was the only one who spoke English – and she said, looking me dead in the eyes, “Leave Taehyung.”  

 

I looked straight back at her, trying to look fierce but crying at the same time, while another still held my hair and the other two stood at my sides holding my arms to the wall. “Please, just let me go…” I whimpered, cowardly.

 

“Leave Taehyung alone!” she repeated, slapping my face, making me spit blood onto the hair-holder who went “Eeww” as it stained her shirt, momentarily letting go of my scalp.

 

“I can’t!” I snapped back at the English speaker, “You stupid c*nt!” I added, looking back at her, which earned me another slap.

 

I saw her open and guessed that she would try to throw the same words at me again, so I cut her off, “He won’t! Ok?! He won’t leave!”

 

“So you leave!” she spat at me, answering the question I’d been asking myself about if she’d only memorized that one line.

 

“Go back your country!” the girl on the right added, and my interrogator shot her a look. I guess she was the leader. She opened and I cut her again, “I’m pregnant, you ing !”

 

I saw open and close.

 

“Did you hear me? Or maybe that was too hard English for you… I’m having his baby!!!”

 

Now they all just stared.

 

“He’s never gonna date any of you, why the are you even doing this?! You’re all insane!” I shouted, my fear having somehow turned into adrenaline.

 

“You think he’s gonna love you after this? You think you’ll have a special place in his heart once your names are in the newspapers for having beaten up his pregnant girlfriend?” I shouted at them.

 

I saw girl one and two exchange a look, like they hadn’t considered the possibility that I might actually fight back.

 

“And not just him, all of Bangtan, they will not only not love you, but they’ll hate you forever. You won’t be allowed anywhere near them because if they see your face, they’ll feel disgust so strong, they’ll…”

 

I wasn’t allowed to finish my sentence.

                                                                                               

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhh!!!!!”

 

The 4th girl, who had remained quiet through most of this, screamed like a madwoman, and ran at me, hands going for my throat, like she wanted to strangle me.

 

“Seollie!” leader-girl shouted, trying to have her friend let go of me.

 

And then it all happened so fast. I started getting dizzy. They were all pulling at each other and screaming in Korean. Girl no.4 shouting things along the lines of You’d be better off dead or something like that. I slipped, and in slow-motion, I saw myself fall down the stairs. We were at the very top of the second landing so I tumbled a long way down before finally coming to a stop on the last middle landing.

 

I didn’t move. I saw the ceiling light, neon and bright, blinking and spinning above me. It wasn’t supposed to spin. It was quiet on the landing. It had been so loud before so the quiet was nice, but strange. I felt something warm and annoyingly gooey close to my ear and wanted to swipe at it, but when I tried to raise my right arm, I found that it wouldn’t move. That was weird. All of a sudden frantic Korean voices erupted around me, and I wanted to tell them to shut the up, they were so noisy. I wanted to sleep.

 

My eyes closed slowly, and then there was nothing.

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Don't hate me for cutting off here!!! XD 
I had to....

AoH