Jessica: 2

Hollow

I glanced at my phone. It's already morning. I wore my clothes and got up quietly. I left his unit and drove myself back home. It's been like this ever since I became his girlfriend. Should I really call myself, though? The more appropriate term is 'rebound', 'disposable'... maybe 'desperate'. But what can I do? I am really in love with him.

 

When I got home, nobody's here again. Well, at least I don't have to hide my bad mood. The maids asked me if I wanted to eat, and I nodded. I'll just wait in my room for them to call me, and I told them that. I also instructed them not to disturb me unless it's time to eat.

 

I entered my room and fell into my deep thoughts. I am so stressed about the business, and I have another one opening up. But I feel like I have abandoned those just to be with Kris. It's not wrong, though. I took care of him because I volunteered. Maybe I should just end it with Kris. This love is killing me, tearing me apart from what I want to achieve. I'll let him have what he wants.

 

I took out my phone, hoping he'd call, but he never did. I guess I'll take this as a sign. My job as a rebound is over. I should stop now while I still can. I'm afraid I'll never regain myself if I don't. I called Alice, hoping she's doing fine with my dad. She didn't pick up. I guess they're enjoying their time alone since they can't do it here.

 

Unlike Edison, I know how to listen. Dad told me about their relationship. Yes, Alice may be younger than dad, but she's smart. And I know all dad wants is a companion, and all she wants is to keep her promise to our mom. I don't blame Edison, though. At first, I was also angry. But everything about me and Alice is okay.

 

Someone knocked on my door, and told me food is ready. I just got up and went downstairs. They served my favorite food, pasta. I can't resist to it, so they really know what to prepare when I don't say anything specific. I sat down and the chef placed the other food. I asked some of the maids to eat with me. They already know I do this, so they just sat down.

 

Unlike other people, I don't like being treated too formally just because I am their employer's daughter. I am just a normal person, like everyone else. And in the future, I'll be venturing into another business. Which means I'll be meeting more people. If I want to succeed, I need to know what the employees want or need, and then we can all have a healthy working relationship.

 

I asked everyone to just clean up after eating because I'm in a hurry. I normally wait till everyone is finished, but this time, I need to check out my boutique. I went there and watch a lot of people come in and out. I smiled at the manager, as she went towards me. I greeted her with a hug, and I looked around.

 

"Great sales today, huh?"

"People are so fascinated by the new designs we brought in!" She said and I nodded.

 

I walked towards a girl who stared at a mint green dress. I kind of startled her, because she flinched, but I don't mind. I smiled at her, took the dress and handed it to her. She must've been shocked, but I nodded at her.

 

"You don't have to buy it now. You can just try it on."

"I don't think I can afford this." She said and looked down.

"Hey, if it looks good on you, it's on me." I offered, but she quickly refused.

"No, no... I just... think it's pretty."

"Well," I said and handed her the dress. "If my potential client thinks it's pretty. Isn't it given that I should be grateful? Let's say... this is my token of appreciation."

 

She finally gave in and nodded. I waited for her to get out of the dressing room just to see her wear it. She did look great! The dress fits her perfectly. And I clapped in joy. She shyly went out of the dressing room, and I put my hands on her shoulder.

 

"See? I told you you'd look great!" She smiled at me and nodded. "Now, get changed. I'll wrap this up for you."

"Thanks." She said, looking intimidated.

"Hey," I called. "If you ever need anything. My store is open for you, okay?" I said that, and I saw her nod. She's so cute. "I'm Jessica, by the way." I extended my hand for her to shake.

"Joy." She shook my hand, and I smiled wider.

"Okay, Joy..." I said and lead her back to the dressing room. "Come back here when you wanna shop, okay?"

When she got changed, I brought her to the counter and told the cashier it's on me. She just removed the magnet from the dress and put it in a reusable bag. I handed it to her, and she smiled at me. She kept on thanking me, and it's kind of making me feel uncomfortable.

 

"So, what are you gonna use it for?" I asked her, trying to evade the endless thanksgiving.

"I'm gonna attend a wedding with... my boyfriend."

"I see." I said and smiled at her. "Let me know if you want more dresses here. I can show you around."

"Thank you, really." She said, and I nodded.

"Hey, it's nothing." I said and patted her shoulders. I looked outside, and saw Kris, leaning against his white lamborghini. "Well, I'm gonna go now, okay?" I said and she nodded. "Bye Joy!" I waved at her, and went outside.

 

I saw him stand straight as I walked closer to him. I know where this conversation is going. I just have to be quick about it. I better say it first, or he'll be the one that got away. I don't like that. I want him to think about me when we're over. I want him to regret not loving me even though I gave him plenty of opportunities to do it.

 

"Hey," I said and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "I'm so glad you came over. I have to tell you something."

He just hugged me tight, not ever loosening up his grip of my waist. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" I asked him.

"For being a jerk."

"Well, I thought you were right." I said, and he let go of me. "I'm just gonna tell you... I'm letting you go."

"What?"

"I mean, I also need to watch over my business. I'll focus on it now." I said, hoping I convinced him.

"Is that really what you want?" He stared at me longingly. Please don't.

I took a deep breath. "Yes."

 

And then he left... without even saying anything.