Jessica: 20

Hollow

I can't believe it. The house is massive, and I could see a lot of flowers here. I went inside with Seulgi, and I saw a massive portrait of me and my son. I've seen the picture frames, and I saw pictures of us. Kris and I, my son and I, some photos of me alone. Photos of Edison and I. I looked around, and I saw my son in his lap. What is he doing here?

 

"Kris?" Seulgi, called, and I saw a very healthy looking Kris. "She's here."

My son went to my side and hugged me. He pulled me close to Kris. "Mommy, daddy is here." For the first time, I've heard him talk in front of everyone.

"Jun?" I asked.

"Yes, mommy?"

"How long have you been talking?" I asked him.

"Mommy, daddy is waiting." He said as he pulled me closer towards Kris.

"Jessica..." I heard him utter my name. And I stared at him. "Hi."

"So..." I heard Seulgi say. "We'll leave you two alone for now." She grabbed my son's hand and took him with her.

 

As soon as they left, I couldn't control my tears. "Why did you leave?" I asked, not knowing if I asked the right question or not.

"To be completely honest, I did not leave. I have been watching you. I watched Jun grow. Whenever you're away, I talk to him. He knows I'm his father. And he promised me he'll only talk in front of you once you're with me." He explained. "Jessica, our son is smart. Very smart. Just like you."

"Shut up!" I said and wiped my tears away. "So why didn't you show up at the wedding?"

"I got so..." He took a deep breath. "Scared."

"Scared of what?" I asked, still not buying it.

"Scared that I might not be a good husband to you." He said and stared at me. "To be honest, before our wedding, I went to Canada. I went to visit a friend who died, and her death made me realize that one day, I'll leave you behind. That I won't be good enough."

"And you think I will accept that crap of an excuse?" I said and slapped him.

"No," He said and smiled. "As a matter of fact, I'm done running away from you and Jun. You see, I just realized that there's no point in running. I don't expect you to run back to me. All I want you to do is at least let me be a father to our son."

"My son," I said firmly. "And what makes you think I'll do that?"

"Jessica, we don't have all the time in the world. We'll be gone soon. Would you rather have our son hate us both?"

"Jun understands." I said, hoping he'd stop it. "And besides, why are you talking like you're sick or something?"

He just laughed. But I know... something's off. "But the truth is, I am sick."

"Stop it!" I yelled at him. "Don't give me that bull!"

"I'm not lying to you. Why would I make an effort to make you come here?"

"Maybe because you're not done toying with me? What do I know about what you're thinking?" I said, took my bag and stood up.

"Jes--" He called, but I heard a crash. I looked behind me, and before I could react, I already saw Seulgi running towards him. She calmly pressed a button on the table, and I saw 3 guys helping Seulgi put Kris to the couch. Was he serious? I mean, is he really sick?

 

"Kris?" I called, but my voice is faint. I felt someone hold my hand. And it was Seohyun. She made me sit down and she sat in front of me. "What's happening?"

"I'll tell you what happened. Before your marriage, way before Jun was born, Kris was supposed to go to Macau. Of course, he didn't. He received a call from his best friend's mother. Her death was too sudden for Kris to handle. And within the years you were together, he became depressed." She said and smiled bitterly. "It's not you, I promise. It's the fact that she died, and he was so devastated, scared. Scared that he'll soon leave you behind."

"He didn't have to think of it that way!" I said, and all the anger in my head boiled up. "And why didn't you tell me where he was sooner?"

"You think I knew all this time?" She yelled. "Why would I waste my time looking for him if I knew where he was?"

She's right. Why would she? "So... how did you find him?"

"Seulgi called, saying Sehun found him." She said and I could see hear tears falling. "He didn't even want Sehun to tell Seulgi!" I took a deep breath. I need to take this all in if I want to forgive him. "And because of his depression, he already has a faint heart. He already had two heart attacks, and we can't afford another one! We'll lose him!" She said, talking some sense into me.

"I can't be mad at him." I said, and she shook her head.

"No, it's not that you can't be mad at him. Just please don't overwhelm him." She said, and I nodded. "I trust you Jessica. He needs you now more than ever."

 

And here, I thought I was the weak one. I thought I'm the only one who could run away. Why would he think that way? I would never abandon him, and I know he'd do everything just to stay by my side. I don't understand why he left. But that's not important now. The important thing is, I have to stay by his side. I need to be there for him because I...

 

I heard my phone ring, and when I looked at the screen, it was Edison who called. I let it ring. I can't answer it now. I don't need another sermon from him. I don't care what he says, all I know is, I need to stay here. I need him as much as he needs me.

 

They made Kris sleep. All I could do was caress his hair softly. Seulgi also mentioned that Jun is asleep. One day, when the circumstances are right, I wanna see them both on the same bed, sleeping together like how a father and a son should be. I pecked his forehead lightly, and sat outside. I decided to call Edison, just to check.

 

"Jessica! I've been calling you!" Edison fumed. "Kris is in Jeju, and--"

"I know." I said, tears falling from my face. "I'm already here."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know..." He said, his voice, calm.

"We all never expected it to be like this." I said, and sighed. "I'm sorry, Ed. I can't keep my promise."

"Forget that . We'll be flying to Jeju tomorrow. Text me the address so I can visit him, okay?" He said, and even though he can't see me, I nodded. It was silent for a moment, and I heard him clear his throat. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked, laughing. "We all didn't know."

"Still, I gave you a lot of crap. You even went through that hypnosis bull." He said and I heard him curse.

"Hey, I asked for it, okay? Don't blame yourself." I said, and it was silent again.

"Anyway, don't forget to text me the address." He said, and ended the call.

 

I felt his little hand holding mine. I looked behind and saw Jun. I knelt in front of him and gave him a tight hug. He hugged me tighter, and I could feel his tears falling down my shoulders. I could feel myself crying, too. I quickly wiped off my tears and faced my son. I wiped his tears, and smiled at him.

 

"What's wrong, baby?" I asked.

"Mommy, I'm sorry. I promised daddy I will only talk to you if you see him again."

"Why did you do that, though?" I asked, curious.

"I thought, it would be good to see you two together again. And I didn't wanna act spoiled. I know what you went through, mommy. And I didn't wanna add pain."

"You're never a pain to me." I said, patting his head.

"I love you, mommy." He said, and he hugged me again. Tight, like he usually does.