Kris: 14

Hollow

"He's with her." Minseok reported, and I nodded.

"Good. Make sure no one knows about this." I said and gave him his money.

"Your secret is safe." He said and stood up.

 

I gave Seohyun a call, making sure all the paper works I'll need are ready. I am flying to Macau tonight. I know Yuri will tell on me, and I need to be away. I'm not running away, though. I'm doing this to clear my head and make a decision. She'll hate me, but I should know what to do.

 

"Okay. I'll send it to your email." She said and hang up.

 

I went to home to pack my clothes. I heard my phone ring, but when I saw who it was, I didn't bother to answer. I mean, I'm too busy packing my clothes for more important stuff. But when she persistently kept on calling, I finally answered the phone.

 

"Kris, it's me. Millicent. Wendy died." I don't know what to say. "Can you come?"

"Yes, aunt Millicent. I'm currently packing my clothes."

"Yes. I'm sorry I wasn't able to tell you sooner." She started sniffing her nose. "See you soon, hun."

"Yeah. See you soon."

 

Wendy is my childhood friend. We both grew up in the same neighborhood, did the same things. If there was one thing she was really good at, it's almost everything. She's smart, she's multi-lingual, talented, really good with musical instruments, and she can make you like her without even talking.

 

I almost fell in love with her. Almost, because I realized I'm not good for her. She's fragile, and she doesn't deserve someone like me. She's got a pure and innocent heart. I am a tainted man. My past made me who I am today, and I don't want to make her to be involved too much with me. I know she fell in love with me. But the best thing to do at that time was to leave.

 

And when I came back to Korea, I met Victoria in a meeting. She is almost like Wendy. They both have beautiful smiles, fragile-looking. I tried avoiding her, but the more I tried, the more I struggled. If I never admitted I fell in love with her, I would never be in a relationship with her. I opened up to her so much. I never told her about what happened before, but she's the person that knows a lot about me.

 

There are things that I never told my friends, not even Edison, Minseok, or even Jessica. I know I'm too secretive. But I can't open up to them. Not all of them. Not even my own sister. I booked the earliest flight back to Canada. I don't know if I'm ready to see a lifeless Wendy. I am not ready to face one of my greatest fears. I wanted to die before her.

 

I lied down and told the attendant to bring me some whiskey. For now, I don't need to cry. I'll just sleep. And if whiskey is gonna help, then so be it. And for the nth time, I'm being unfair to Jessica. I tell her I'm in love with her, but here I am, trying to see what's left of my first love. 

 

I let my bag fall when I saw her inside a casket, still beautiful, only lifeless. Candles are lit around her, flowers everywhere. And a few people we both knew came and payed their respects. I saw aunt Millicent walking towards me, and I hugged her tight. She is very close to my heart. Maybe because she became more of a mother to me than my real mother did. And she was the first person to know Wendy loved me.

 

"I'm sorry I made you come so suddenly, Kris. I understand how busy you are." She said as she held my hand.

"It's fine. This is more important than anything. By the way, how did it happen?"

"She told me to keep it from you, but... I can't. She died giving birth."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"When you left, she felt like her life was ruined. I couldn't control her. When she started high school, all she did was drink with her friends. She came home drunk, her grades dropped, and everyday, I would look at Wendy, and think I lost my daughter. Until one day, for the first time, she ate her breakfast, kissed my cheeks and said goodbye as she was going to school. A few days later, she brought with her a guy named Logan. She was dating him. Logan was a year older than her.

"Where is he now?" I asked, hoping I would see this Logan.

"He's in the hospital right now." Hospital? "He's watching over their baby.

"Logan is the father?"

"Yes. I remember it, last year, Wendy nervously told me she's gonna marry Logan. They married after a month, and she got pregnant. We didn't know they were incompatible. And when was about to give birth, the doctor advised her that it's gonna be dangerous for her. She was okay with it. She said she'd rather keep the baby and her suffer the consequences, than kill the poor thing." She sniffed, and I hugged her tight.

"I'm sorry." I only said. "She died bravely."

"She did." And aunt Millicent let go of me. "You know what she said before she died? She said, she finally achieved something on her own."

"She has always been great at everything. I can't believe she thinks so lowly of herself." I said, and aunt Millicent nodded. "Anyway, I want to meet her husband."

"I'm sorry I never told you anything."

"Aunt Millicent, that's okay. If that's what Wendy, that's okay. At least you respected what she wanted, and that's fine." I said, hoping she'd stop apologizing for something that's not even a bad thing.

 

"Mom," I heard someone say. "Where's Millicent?"

"Logan, here." So he is Logan. "Logan, I want you to meet Wendy's best friend, Kris."

"Hi, man." He said, and he extended his hands. "Logan Lewis."

"Kris." I said simply, and he smiled.

"Anyway, I saw Wendy's last text, I couldn't stop laughing. She's crazy!"

"Why? What did she say?" Aunt Millicent laughed along with him.

"She decided to name our baby Quebec!" He said, and burst out laughing.

"Oh, Wendy!" Aunt Millicent laughed harder, and I was about to leave, but I heard him speak.

"But seriously, I named her. She's Ariel Leigh, Ariel Leigh Lewis."

"It's beautiful." I said, and he looked at me.

"Thanks, man." He said, and I nodded.

 

I excused myself and went closer to Wendy's casket. Even lifeless, I can't believe she's still really beautiful. I was surprised when I saw Logan hand me a small envelope. He smiled at me, and I took it from him.

 

"She's fond of you. Anyway, I hope you read it. It's the last thing she wanted to give you." He said, and I nodded. He tapped my back, and left.

 

-

 

Okay, so this is really weird, but I can explain why I chose Harry Styles as Logan Lewis. Lol. I chose Harry because I would think of the name "Logan" as a guy who has beautiful green eyes, good-looking, curly, brown hair and plump lips. I can only imagine Harry Styles, okay?

 

Also, I deeply apologize for the extremely long delay. I had a hard time writing my thoughts down because of my job (lame excuse). But honestly, everytime I've got the time to write, I end up sleeping instead, so yeah. Anyway, next chapter's gonna be back w/ Jessica. :)