Jessica: 21

Hollow

I stared at Jun who is drawing circles on Kris' forehead. Kris is asleep, and Jun, being his playful self. I found myself smiling at the sight. I can't believe we're together like this. I know the timing is bad, but I'm still thankful. Kris never forgot about us. Now that I know better, I'm just hoping I could help him. He has clinical depression, and a heart problem at that. I might not be a massive help to him, but I still wanna try.

"Mommy?" Jun called, and I waved at them. He smiled at me, and walked towards me. He held my hand and pulled me towards Kris. "Mommy, can you do this to daddy's forehead?"

I followed him, and he smiled. "What is this for, Jun?"

"This is the healing circle. Whenever daddy is in pain, I do this to him." He said, and I smiled bitterly. He's right. They see each other often.

"Darling, why didn't you tell me you've been seeing daddy all this time?" I asked.

"Because... I knew you don't remember daddy." He said, and I nodded. "I asked you once, about daddy Kris, and you said you didn't know him."

"Mommy went through something to forget him." I said, feeling guilty as I drew circles in his forehead. "But now, I fully remember him."

"Mommy," He stopped my hand, and I looked at him. "Do you still love daddy?"

I was taken aback. Of course I still love him. But... "Why do you ask?"

"Because it is okay if you don't love him anymore. I won't hate you, mommy. But please just be friends with daddy." He said, and I hugged him. "Please promise me, mommy."

"I promise." I said and kissed his forehead.

I looked at Kris, and his eyes are open. I smiled at him. He smiled back, and he pinched Jun's cheek. They were bickering on why Kris still treats him like a child. Kris would only laugh, and I can't help but laugh, too. I can't believe I used to be so in love with this man. Not that I don't love him anymore, I still do. But my love for him was too extreme. Toxic, to be blunt.

I heard my phone ring, and it was one of the managers. I went outside, and quickly answered the call. "Yes?"

"Miss, I'm sorry I called. But you have a meeting with Mr. Kim tomorrow." She said, and I could sense fear in her voice.

"Tell him to meet with you or cancel the meeting. Whichever suits best. I can't go back to Seoul yet. While I'm away, you're in charge, okay?"

"O-okay... But miss," She hesitated, but asked anyway. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, uhm yes." I said, not knowing how I feel right now. "I just need to stay here for a while. It might take me a long time to come back. Please take care of the business for me.

"Yes, miss." She said, and I ended the call.

I went to the kitchen, and decided to make pancakes. It's Jun's favorite. Especially when there's a lot of chocolate sauce on the pancakes. He doesn't like honey or maple syrup too much. I started preparing the pancakes, and I also saw a bunch of fruits on his fridge. While the pancake is cooking, I took out the blueberries and strawberries so I can eat them.

"Mommy is cooking something." Kris said, and I looked at them. They walked towards me.

"Mommy, what are you making?" Jun asked.

"Your favorite, pancakes." I said, and he smiled widely. "Ah, Kris," I faced Kris, and I saw his eyes widen. I ignored it. "Do you have a chocolate sauce?"

"Yep. In the cupboard." He said, and I nodded.

I tried reaching for the cupboard, but it's so high up. I felt Kris tower over me, and got the chocolate sauce for me. I just thanked him and smiled. I flipped the pancake and tried to draw a butterfly. I did succeed, though. After the pancake was cooked, I put it in the plate, and put in another one. This time, I drew a swirl inside the pancake as a decoration.

"Mommy is really good at making pancakes!" Jun said, as he took a bite out of the pancake.

"Wait, the pancakes aren't ready yet!" I said, and he smiled cheekily.

"I just wanted to taste." He said and pouted. I just laughed at how adorable he is. "Daddy, do you wanna try it?"

He opened his mouth and Jun put the leftover pancake in his mouth. "Hey! That's too much!" He chewed, and swallowed it. "Taste like pancakes."

"It is pancakes!" I exclaimed, and they both laughed at me.

I continued making pancakes, and I heard them mumbling about helping me. So they did. Kris took out the orange juice out of fridge. He prepared three glasses, and I saw them only get one plate. I placed used plate in the sink, and placed the cooked pancake on the new plate.

"Are we really gonna eat pancakes for dinner?" I asked them, and they just shrugged. "Kris, is there any restaurant here that delivers food?"

"I know a place." He said, and I just nodded.

"Daddy I wanna eat abalones! And shrimp! And crab!" And the list of the seafood he likes continues.

"How about you, Jess?" He asked.

"I also wanna eat shrimp." I said, and he nodded.

I heard him order a bunch of seafoods, as well as fried chicken. I also cooked rice. Our food came so early. It has only been 30 minutes since we called. He paid for the food, and prepared the dining table. I looked at the chicken, and saw he ordered regular chicken, garlic flavored, spring onion flavored and spicy chicken.

"Wow, it's only the three of us." I said, and he just smiled.

"Just let it be. This is the first time I'll be eating a lot." He said, and I nodded. No wonder he looks like he lost a lot of weight, but he still looks very healthy.

"Shrimp!" Jun said excitedly, and took a bite out of the fried shrimp head. "It's so crispy!"

"Is it good?" I asked Jun, and he nodded excitedly. "Okay."

And after that, we ate in silence. Jun is really quiet when he eats. The only noise I could hear is the noise on the television. They're playing songs from a K-pop group. I just smiled at the sight. I really like them. Jun also likes them. He's especially a fan of this "Kim So-hye" from I.O.I. and I think she's cute, too.

"You like K-pop now?" Kris asked, raising one brow at me.

"I liked K-pop. Nothing changed." I said, and he nodded.

 

Because Kris ordered a lot of food, there's also a lot of leftovers. I just stored them in the fridge, while the two boys are watching a movie. They're watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. That's my favorite movie, and Jun has watched it so many times. He still isn't tired of it. Well, I, myself, am not tired of the movie, too.

 

"I didn't know you liked these kinds of movies." I heard Kris say to Jun.

"Mommy watches this movie a lot." He said, and Kris nodded.

 

And again, they fell silent. If only we could stay like this forever. Maybe then, I could be happy. We'd all be happy.