Coming home

Story of two

 

Seolhyun awoke with a groan, and slapped her hand in the suprisingly annoying alarm clock. She gave a frown. Something seemed to be missing from her. A sensation seemed to be missing. Ah, she remembered. It was Hyejeong's warm body. For two days, Hyejeong had woken earlier than her to go to work, or her internship. Seolhyun understood how important this was to Hyejeong, it practically decided her future, but it was starting to take it's toll on the couple. Hyejeong had been doing her best to come home as early as possible, but they still seemed to practically not see each other anymore. Seolhyun sighed internally. At least it was only going to last for a week only.

After that, everything would return to normal.

Seolhyun went to the bathroom, brushing her teeth. It felt weird to brush her teeth on her own, having being acustomed to Hyejeong's playful chatter. She did her hair, how Hyejeong had taught her. She then put on her clothes, a simple pair of tight jeans, followed by a t-shirt and an oversized sweater. Just how Hyejeong had taught her 'Simple yet attractive' she had said. She put on her Sbenu sneakers, the ones that Hyejeong had picked out for her. She was about to leave, but found a small note stuck to door.

'Good morning Seolhyunsshi! Last night was great ah... we should do that more often hehe. Have a nice day at school! Hyejeong with love~'

Seolhyun smiled, picked the note off the door and held it to her heart. Her Unnie always found a way to make her smile like that, even if she wasn't beside her. Her heart quickly warmed, as she relished her moment alone. She then placed the note in a special box, the box where she had kept every single one of Hyejeong's notes. She whispered to herself, 'Love you too ah, Hyejeong Unnie', then left for school.

Seolhyun walked alone to school. Although it was morning, the sky was rather dark ; clouds covered the sky, determined not to let sunlight through. The clouds weren't just mere rain clouds, but full-on thick, dark storm clouds. They blocked the sun out like a barricade, furthur darkening the streets. A strong cold wind also sliced through the air, blowing at Seolhyun angrily.

'Perhaps the skies are lonely too...' Seolhyun muttered to herself.

Out of nowhere, thunder and lightning erupted from the skies, causing Seolhyun to shake in surprise. The weather really wasn't in a good mood today, Seolhyun thought. Then, too Seolhyun's demise, rain began to fall.

Dribble dribble dribble, pat, pat, patpatpatpatPATPATPATPATPATPAT

Water began to descend on the Earth heavily. Students around quickly squealed, frantically pulling their umbrellas. Seolhyun however, was not prepared for this. She pulled her bad over her head ad starting running. She gave out curses underbreath, all the while panting thorugh the cold air.

'Yo Seolhyun over here ah'

A short-haired girl waved in the distance, holding up an umbrella. Seolhyun ran over to her without thinking, desperate to get out of the rain. She crashed under the umbrella, wiping the rain of her. She looked up and saw a familiar face.

'Hey... thanks for the umbrella...um...'

'Hyeri. Lee Hyeri.' The short haired girl replied. The girl was about the same height as Seolhyun. Her hair was a shade of dark brown, and it fanned out just above her neck. Her entire figure was very slim, and her legs reflected light from the rain water. The corner of her eyes were very sharp, outlined by makeup. This girl clearly knew how she looked, and how to clean up.

'You remember me? I'm in the same class with you.'

'AH!' Seolhyun lit up.' Hyeri right? You're the one that got scolded on the first day!'

'Is that you're first impression of me...' Hyeri muttered.

'Ah....' Seolhyun said, embarassed. 'No no no... thats just all the information I have on you. But thanks for the umbrella ah.'

'Its ok!' Hyeri replied cheerfully. 'I just wanted to meet you. And the skies gave me a chance.'

Seolhyun let out a small chuckle. Hyeri had a nice sense of humor. The two walked together to school, packed closely under Hyeri's small umbrella.

'So why did you get scold? I was too busy talking to pay attention.' Seolhyun asked.

'Lets not bring up the past shall we?' Hyeri said comically.

'I believe when you make new friends, you should be honest to them.'

'Ahhh Jinjam fine.' Hyeri rolled her eyes. 'When the teacher was writing on the board, my friend was dancing behind him. So what do you do? You throw a paper plane at them. BUT THEN, the techer turned back around AT THAT EXACT MOMENT, and my friend also sat down at the EXACT MOMENT. My plane hit him straight in the face. And he watched the plane strike him. And all the while my arm was outstretched, because I didn't know how to react! He insantly knew who I was, and...well you know what happened afterwards-YA STOP LAUGHING! I'M THE ONE WITH THE UMBRELLA YOU KNOW"

'ya... you know....' Seolhyun, finally managed, after laughing so hard she had lost her ability to speak. 'you're pretty....hehe...you're pretty stupid for that...' Seolhyun finished, still laughing hard.

'YA!!!! Hyeri puched Seolhyun in the arm causing the other to laugh even harder. Hyeri decided enough. She had just met this girl, held out an umbrella for her, and this was how she was treated? No way. She pulled away from Seolhyun, holding her head up high arrogantly, taking her umbrella with her.

'Hey Hyeri-sshi im sorry, please come back ah...' Seolhyun said cutely, holding on to Hyeri.

Hyeri felt a warm Seolhyun hold on to her left arm. She felt her heart pound faster and faster. How long had it been since she had felt this type of warmth? She finally scummbed to Seolhyun's cute pouting, and held the umbrella once again over the both of them.

'Alright, fine. But you're treating me to lunch today.'

'Sure!'

'No, I mean like you're paying.'

'YA! That's not fair.'

'How is it not fair! I lent you my umbrella.'

'It's just an umbrella.'

'ITS JUST UMBRELLA? THIS FRIGGIN THING KEEPS YOURE CLOTHES DRY'

'FOOD KEEPS YOU ALIVE! Clearly something that keeps clothes dry is not worth something that keeps you alive.'

'Ya Seolhyun you wanna see my darker side?' Hyeri said, not backing down.

'Bring it' Seolhyun boldly replied, glaring at Hyeri comically.

'Fine... i'll buy my own lunch' Hyeri sighed, admitting defeat. 'But you owe me one.'

 

On the other side of Korea, Hyejeong's morning hadn't gone so great. The heavy rain had cuased heavy traffic, which consquently made her late for work. And she wasn't a CEO or anything. She was an interm, and she was LATE. ON HER FIRST WEEK. Despite her previous stunt with the board, Ms. Kim was really not happy. For punishment, Ms. Kim had given Hyejeong a mountain load of work. Not any sophisticated work, just plain and boring accounting work. Work that was not difficult, but extremely time-consuming. Hyejeong bowed her head graciously as Ms. Kim placed the hundred-meter high stack of files on her desk. Accounting work? This was way past her level. Any student who could work excel could to this. All she did was be a little late. Was this really nessescary? Hyejeong grumbled. She was way too fustrated to work. She went to the washroom, and dialed for Seolhyun on her cell.

'Hey Seolhyun-'

'Hi Hyejeong. It's so nice to hear you're voice...'

'Why did you take so long to answer?' Hyejeong demanded.

'Sheesh.. take it easy Unnie...' Seolhyun replied. 'I'm in a lecture. I had to run to the toliet.'

'Are you sure that's ok?'

'Ya. My friend's recording from her laptop. We're totally winning at life.'

'O I see, pretty smart..and did you get wet from the rain this morning? It was raining pretty hard.'

'I'm thanks Hyejeong' Seolhyun cheerfully replied. 'I met someone on the way to school today. Her's names Hyeri. She lent me her umbrella, and she's the one that came up with the idea of recording the lecture. Anyways I've got to go! The professor's gonna be suspicious. '

'Ok... Seolhyun I lov-'

Hyejeong felt the line grow dead. Her shoulders slumped, and she looked at herself in the mirror. Her mind was going insane, hers thoughts were like a flood, multiplying and flodding her brain.

'So Seolhyun's really happy at school...and she's already met someone new. It's only been three days...'

'WAIT. They shared an umbrella? Or did this 'Hyeri' have another one?

'If they shared an umbrella, that means they...'

'What have I done to deserve this...?'

'She seemed really happy on the phone...'

'She even cut me off...that's the first time that's happened. Usually i'm the one that has to hang up...'

'Pull yourself Hyejeong. Just get through the day. Everything's going to be fine...'

Hyejeong washed her face, slapping herself. She replied her make-up, giving herself a confident smile in the mirror. Usually smiling to herself would cheer Hyejeong up. In times of distress. Great distress.

'It's ok. You're Shin-ing-Hyejeong. You managed to put someone in the hospital. You drive a goddamn Lamborghini, a superbike and you're hot as hell. You can put up with a pile of meaningless work, and possibly your girlfriend forgetting your existence, right? Piece of cake.'

Hyejeong strolled out of the washroom, giving her best walk, and putting on a smile. All those to boost her confidence. She sat down at her desk, and started to type away at the mountanious stack of files on her desk.

'Hey Hyejeong. Where were you just now?' Ms Kim asked angrily.

'Sorry Ms. Kim, I was in the washroo-'

'What were you doing there?' Ms Kim demanded.

'Using the toliet-'

'What took you so long?'

'i... um.... i'm sorry. It won't happen again.'

'It better not. Sunny just called again to bite me in the . NOW, make sure,' Ms. Kim snapped. 'If I ever hear her voice again before the photoshoot, I won't be hearing yours anymore. You understand?'

Hyejeong was about to give Ms. Kim a piece of her mind, but she suspressed the urge. A moment of satisfaction would bring her a lifetime of regret. She raised her eyebrows, and gave Ms. Kim and a kurt nod.

'I understand. I'll get back right to work.'

Ms. Kim gave a nod, then disappeared into her office.

Hyejeong slumped into her office chair. She had just boosted her morale in the toliet, and she had come out just to find it beaten back down again. She gave an experated look as she looked outside of the window. The sky was gray, and rain was still pouring. Hard. Perhaps even the skies were having a bad day, Hyejeong thought. She turned back to her computer, and her fingers mechanically hammered around the keyboard, typing away.

After a whole afternoon of typing, Hyejeong was absouletly exhausted. Her fingers were used till the point of breaking. Her back and legs ached from sitting still too long, and she was bored as hell. Her eyelids were starting to get heavy, and her fingers were nearly numb. She literally jumped up in shock when she heard her cell phone ring. Finally. A reason to take a break from her meaningless work. She could finally communicate with a living being. It was Seolhyun. A smile lit up Hyejeong's face. Seolhyun was the only person that could cheer her up right now.

'Hey Seolhyun... how was your day...?'

'It was great. Um... are you able to come back for dinner tonight?' Seolhyun asked.

Hyejeong's heart nearly fell out of her body when she heard the question. Pain staked at her mind. She could leave this miserable grey hell right now and go back to her warm, welcoming home, where her girlfriend was, and get fired tommorrow. Or, she could turn Seolhyun down and put a frown on that beautiful face she loved.

'I...um.... i'm going to have to stay late tonight.... i'm really sorry Seolhyun...'

'Oh....' Seolhyun seemed disapointted. 'I guess i'll eat with my friends then? It won't be the same as eating with you tho. Come home soon ah Hyejeong. Love you!'

'I love you too...' Seolhyunt then hung up.

Hyejeong stared wide-mouthed at her screen. Thoughts she had tried so hard to suspress were now jumping out again. They weren't jumping out. They were flying out and around inside Hyejeong's mind.

'Eat with your friends? When did you ever become that social?'

'You used to nag me on the phone to come back...'

'You eating with Hyeri? I bet my life you're eating with Hyeri...'

'Why did I get this internship anyway?'

'Come home soon? I'm afraid I might find a stranger in my house.'

'Seolhyun have you forgotten me already?'

Hyejeong blinked. She tried to pick herself up again. She slowly brought her fingers to her keyboard, and she started typing again. She blocked out everything. Her thoughts, her feelings, her emotions, her pain. She held back her tears, like she had learnt to do in her childhood. She had been forgotten many times before in her life. How was this any different?

Her girlfriend had just met a new friend, because she was bored, because I wasn't by her side. It's my problem. Besides, its nothing special. And its nice that Seolhyun is trying to be more social, right?

Hyejeong continued to work through the night. Ms. Kim came out at around 9, and said goodbye. Hyejeong looked up and replied with a sweet wave, then continued to work again. Her eyes alternated between the files and her screen. Nothing else. She slowly lost track of time, but she didn't care. She was determined ot finish her work. Probably because that was the only thing able to distract her from her thoughts right now.

Not able to take it anymore, Hyejeong finally stood up and took a break. She raised her arms over her head, feeling her muscles make 'crack' sounds here and there. Her work was around ninety percent done, and it was a quarter past eleven. No one was in the office, or at least on Hyejeong's floor. Hyejeong looked out of the window. Thunder and lightning were going to work simultanoeusly, making the sky seem like it was the last day of Earth. Rain flooded the streets and hammered against the building. The strong winds battered the streets, bending tree's to their limit. Lucky i have a car, Hyejeong. She felt a buzz from her pocket. There was a very simple message.

'Unnie, iIm home alone, and I can't sleep. I tried not to disturb you, but I can't take it anymore. Please come home. I need you here.'

Hyejeong glanced at the message Seolhyun sent her. She punched the power button on her computer. Work could wait. Her future could wait. Her life could wait. Seolhyun couldn't wait. She dashed to the elevator, punching the light switch on the way out. Her eyes were still tired from all the time she had spent facing her screen, andher legs felt unresponsive. Every single muscle in her body protested against such suddden action, but Hyejeong didn't care. She yanked off her heels and carried them, sprinting to the parking lot. She swung into her car with one smooth leap. She put the lamborghini in race mode, and the car let out a powerful rumble, warming itself up. Wasting no time, Hyejeong PLANTTED her feet onto the acclerator pedal, and the car reacted with her, sprinting out of the parking lot and onto the wet streets. The streets were empty, due to the storm and pretty much undrivable conditions. The swipers and headlights were on, but Hyejeong could barely see in front of her. The streets were nearly flooding with water, and it was very dangerous to be driving, let alone speeding. Luckily, the car was well made, and Hyejeong had quite some skill in driving. Hyejeong was entirely focused with the task of getting home as soon as possible. She guided the car through the car with small flicks of the wheel and braking only when needed.

'Hang in there Seolhyun. I'm coming home.'

 

 

 

HYEYEYEYEYEYEYYEY GUYSSS SOORY FOR THE DELAYYYY I've been pretty busy, but i managed to sneak in a short chapter. How was it? Did you guys like it? I've reconsidered this fic, and i've decided to keep it alive. I've received lots of pink fluffy love from a certain author (You know who you are hehe) and a lot of ideas have come to mind, so you can expect to see at least five more chapters before I finish. Five more. I Promise. And thanks to all of you who were with me since chapter one, and all those who sent me their ideas. You're words are greatly appreciated, you make my day when I see them :) So stay warm guys! I'll see you next time!