Chapter 3

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

“W-what do you mean?” Ji-eun couldn’t believe her ears. “My parents were k-killed?”

Sungha sighed and gazed ahead of her, a faraway look in her eyes. “There are so many things you don’t know. This is the reason why I never let you out of my sight when you’re outside.”

“Then please tell me. I think I have the right to know. I need to know.”

Her aunt pursed her lips in deep thought. After a moment, she said, “I think it would be best if I showed you.” She beckoned, “Come here.”

Ji-eun and Sungha sat down on the couch facing each other. Sungha raised her hands level to each side of Ji-eun’s face and placed two fingers on her niece’s temple.

Revertetur praeteritum.
Ji-eun closed her eyes as her head spun, she felt like she was sleeping. Sungha was displaying her memories to Ji-eun. It was like a dream.

 

“Go find Sungha and find cover, I’ll go help out!” Ji-eun’s father, Minwoo told his wife. He was on his way to help the other witches and warlocks fend off the wolves and vampires from wiping out their existence.

“No! You can’t just go alone! I’ll come with you.” Ji-eun’s mother, Jiyeon said running up to her husband with a crying toddler cradled in her arms.

“No Jiyeon. You must protect and take care of our daughter.” Jiyeon faltered and looked down at her 2 year old daughter, hugging her closer to her body.

“But-“

“Are you guys alright?! We need to get out of here now. Our race cannot hold up for any longer, I’ve used too much of my power and I’m losing energy. My spells aren’t quite working properly. We must retreat.” Ji-eun’s aunt, Sungha came running up to them seeming exhausted and out of breath. Her wavy smooth hair swaying from side to side across her back as she stopped in front of them.

“Listen to her Minwoo, it’s too dangerous. We need you, Ji-eun needs you. Come with us.” Jiyeon pleaded.

Minwoo, gazed lovingly down at his daughter and caressed her little face with his finger but then his eyes hardened with fiery determination. “I can’t. This is the only way I can try and stop our race from becoming extinct.” He responded he then looked at his sister and wife. “And I don’t want you guys to get hurt, so go” Jiyeon handed over her daughter to Sungha and hugged her husband tightly, her eyes teary. 

“Promise you won’t die out there.”

Minwoo looked away and exhaled slowly, tears also gathering into his eyes. Jiyeon broke the hug and stared at him tearfully. “…Minwoo?”

He looked at her, “I love you Jiyeon, you are the best thing that happened in my life, you have made me so happy and given me so many precious gifts.” The both gazed down at their daughter, “she is destined for great things. I just know it. You guys mean the world to me so never forget that.”

Jiyeon shook her head, tears spilling down her cheeks, “I know Minwoo. I love you too. But why are you telling me us this?…You aren’t planning to sacrifice yourself are you?”

 “Jiyeon, I have to. This is my duty as a member of the council. Even if I die, at least I die trying.” 

Sungha stepped up, “no Minwoo, you have a family to protect, what are they going to do without you? What about me? I’ve already lost so many important people to me, you’re my brother. You are the only one I have left.”

Minwoo turned to his sister, “Sungha noona, you were always so caring and protective, I could never ask for a better older sister. But you know that I have to do this. Besides you have Ji-eun now.”

Sungha shook her head and sniffled, “and you were always a stubborn younger brother.” She laughed bitterly, “just take care of yourself ok? I-I love you.”

Minwoo smiled, “love you too, sis.”

He began to turn away from both of them.

“W-Wait, Minwoo please don’t leave.” Jiyeon cried.

Sighing, he turned back, “I’m sorry.”

“Minwoo behind you!” Sungha warned.   

A low growling sounded and Minwoo spun around. A large werewolf stood, baring its teeth at him.

“You guys run! Hurry!” He shouted as the werewolf lunged at him. They rolled across the ground as Jiyeon chanted an attack spell and the werewolf flew back heavily against a large tree. 
Minwoo stood up, “arbor crepitus!” 
The tree behind the wolf exploded injuring the wolf and knocking it unconscious. 
However, another werewolf snuck around Minwoo and slashed him in the back. Minwoo yelled out in pain, “Minwoo!” Jiyeon exclaimed. 
Descendit catena.” She said and the werewolf’s movements were restricted with invisible chains.  

“Hold her again, I’m going to help.” She quickly kissed Ji-eun on the forehead and handed her over to Sungha.

Jiyeon ran over to her husband and helped him up. “Minwoo, are you ok? We need to get you to Ray quickly, he should know a healing spell.”  
Just then, two vampires appeared, their hands burning bright red and encircled them.  
They have the power of strength. Minwoo thought fearfully and shouted. “Sungha! Get Ji-eun out of here! Leave this to us!” 
“No I can’t do that! What about you guys?"
“You have to Sungha!” Jiyeon said as the enemies slowly crept closer. “Before it’s too late, you and Ji-eun can still escape!”
“No. You- You guys can’t just-“
“Sungha, just go! Please take care of Ji-eun. The necklace that Jiyeon and I gave her will protect her.”

At that very moment, one of the vampires’ turned towards Sungha. Minwoo lunged at the vampire catching it off guard at the same time Jiyeon did to the other. They wrapped their arms tightly around each vampire and anchored them to their spot.

Sungha gasped, that move was going to be the death of Minwoo and Jiyeon for sure. They may be able to overpower a werewolf but they were no match for a vampire much less two. But she knew why they did it. Vampires had speed. If they had let one second by, the vampire would have caught Sungha in that very instant.

The vampire kicked Minwoo in the stomach while the other pounded Jiyeon on the back, but none of them let go. They held on as tightly as they could, blood splattering out of their mouths.

“G-GO!” Minwoo sputtered.  

Sungha was afraid. She hated the fact that she had no choice but to run away and leave the two beings she loved behind.

“I’ll keep Ji-eun safe!” she promised and fled.

Little Ji-eun who was carried off watched her mother and father who were getting further away from over her aunt’s shoulder. “Mama? Papa.”

Sungha’s heart broke as she ran, “oh sweetheart. I promise I will protect you as best I can.”   

Minwoo and Jiyeon looked at each other and smiled through the pain, waiting for the very last blow that would take their lives. ‘We are sorry, Yi. We hope you understand.’

Ji-eun opened her eyes and blinked. Something wet dropped onto her palm and she realised she was crying.
 
I remember clearly now. 
 
Her eyes focused on her aunt who had tears rolling down her face, her eyes filled with so much pain and sorrow. 
“Imo, w-why?” 
“All supernaturals in this world are hunting for witches. Especially the werewolf clan and the vampires.” She told her niece softly. “I am a witch and half of your blood is witch. In order to protect you, I kept you away from the world ever since that incident. I am so sorry you had to see that and that it had happened.”
Ji-eun hugged her aunt and sobbed into her shoulder. Sungha  her hair while she continued to cry. 
After she had calmed down a bit she opened  to speak, her voice sounding harsh and scratchy. “Don’t be sorry Imo. It wasn’t your fault and as you always told me, everything happens for a reason right?” She glanced up at Sungha and tried to smile. 
Sungha laughed a little through her tears, “oh you beautiful child. What good have I done in my past life to deserve you?”
Ji-eun wiped her tears and held out the necklace around her neck. “So this was given to me for protection.” 
Sungha watched her with soft eyes, “yes. They didn’t want to leave you without something special.” 
Ji-eun looked down at her necklace, admiring its unusual form of a sliver stick with small wings on the end.   
 
Umma. Appa. Imo. Thank you.

 
Sungha wiped her tears and stood up. “Alright, enough of that. You still have much to learn about Supernaturals and with just me telling you won’t be enough. You will also need the experience.” She paused and raked a hand through her hair. 
“I have thought about this many times before and I think it is about time I decided.” 
Ji-eun tilted her head, “decide what Imo?”   
Sungha clasped her hands together and gave her niece a wry smile, “say... What do you think about going to school?” 
“...School?”
“It’s a place where all supernaturals are sent to at a very young age to be educated, improve on their abilities and powers.” 
Ji-eun looked at her aunt in wonder and excitement, “really? That’s so cool! Why didn’t you send me there before?” 
Sungha raised an eyebrow at her and Ji-eun sighed, “oh, right.” 
“I have visited a few schools before that are close around here and I think I’ll enrol you into Mystical High.” 
“What? When did you visit them? Don’t others find out? Also I’ve never seen you leave the house before.” Ji-eun exclaimed.
“I am able to conceal my witch scent around others and there is such thing as a duplication spell.” Sungha narrowed her eyes at her niece, “if you had been keener on doing the homework exercises I set, you would know.” She reprimanded.
Ji-eun sheepishly looked down “I forgot...?”
Sungha shook her head and continued, “I also went out a few times when I let you go out into the forest.”
“Really?! How come you are always at home before I come back- wait. Don’t answer that. I forgot you put tracking spells on me too.” 
Sungha smiled and clicked her fingers, a book instantly appearing on her palm. “Here is a book about different types of supernaturals, with images. Unfortunately, there is not much detail about them but you should be able to get a fair idea of what they are and their physical appearance.” 
Ji-eun took the book and flicked through some pages when she saw a portrait of a red creature with black eyes and tentacles coming out of its back. She yelped and quickly closed the book, terrified. “Imo, I don’t want to read it. The images are scary.” 
Sungha crossed her arms, “come on Ji-eun, be more mature. You wanted to know what supernaturals were. Besides, you will be going to school with some of them.”
Ji-eun shivered, “Then I don’t think I want to go to school anymore.” 
Her aunt rolled her eyes, “I’m sure they aren’t that scary, you are just exaggerating. Anyway I’m going to rest, don’t freak yourself out now.” She said, giving a dismissing wave and left. However, Sungha had no idea that the picture her niece saw was a demon.
----------------------------------------------------------

Unseal and release!” Ji-eun commanded, holding out her necklace before her. The necklace lifted and transformed into a large thin sliver stick.

She spun her staff and pointed its sharp end at a tree like a sword. She then sensed something and stopped as a weird feeling washed over her. It wasn't anything she had felt before. It was like a force was pushing her as something came closer.

Quickly, she flicked her staff and the end of the stick became a brush which made her look like she was holding an old broom stick. She pretended to sweep the floor and subtly peeked over her shoulder. There in the distance stood a figure that became two. Her aunt must've felt their aura from inside the house too because she immediately used a telepathy spell to tell Ji-eun to come back into the house.

Ji-eun! Get back inside, their aura is strong, if they catch you... She trailed off in Ji-eun's mind.

Ok! I'll be right there, she said back.

Hurry! Panic was evident in her aunt's voice.

Ji-eun gave one last glance at the two figures who seemed to have stopped where they were but she couldn't make out their faces. She then turned and walked back inside with haste, still gripping her broom-like stick. It wasn’t until she shut the door and was safe within the confinements of her house from prying eyes that her staff changed back into a necklace slung around her neck. 

 

=========================================

Hey Supernaturals!!!

Long time no see! I know I've put this off for a while but I was really busy but now that it's holidays, hopefully I will be able to get in a few more updates. 

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chappie and thank you so much for new subscribers, comments and votes!!! (BTW, the answer to a wonderful reader's question is yes. Ji-eun is a very special, unique individual.) :D

Stay tuned for the next chappie!!

Annyeong~~
 

Many thanks, Author-nim.