Chapter 14

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

Chapter 14

“Wow, you seem to know a lot of Latin.” Eunji complimented, as she glanced Ji-eun’s shoulder who was completing her Latin homework exercises.

“Of course! Most of the spe- er my aunt taught me Latin when I was very young.” Which wasn’t necessarily a lie because her aunt did teach her how to pronounce spells and most spells were in Latin anyway.

Eunji nodded, “ohh right.”

She spun around and took out some clothes from the cupboard, “I’m going to shower now. Good luck with the rest of your homework!”

“Yeah sure, thanks!”

Eunji shut the door to the bathroom and Ji-eun went back to her studies.

After a few minutes, she finished and went to put her books away. She went over to her cupboard and placed her books on the shelf when something caught her eye.

It was a piece of beige paper sticking out from within one of her books. She took the paper and flipped it open.

Oh yeah. I remember this… Why did I take this with me again?

It was actually the piece of paper with the hidden message on it when she tried to make the colour potion.

“The four legends and the guardians must come together as one on the day of end for this will be the new beginning for all. What does that even mean though.” Ji-eun tilted her head, “the four legends… Erimentha, commander of truth and chastity.” She looked at the rest of the names. They must be the four legends then. But who are the guardians?

She noticed the tear on the side and looked at it more closely, it looks like a page ripped from a book actually. I wonder where it came from…

The door to the bathroom opened and Eunji stepped out, “you’re finished with your homework already? That was fast.”

Ji-eun beamed and slipped the piece of paper back into its previous position. “Yeah. It wasn’t very hard to do.”

She sat on her bed while Eunji took out some paper to write up ideas for the music assignment lyrics.

“Eunji? Why do you let others bully you? Why don’t you do anything about it?” Ji-eun asked genuinely curious.

Eunji paused her writing and slowly looked up. “The only thing they want from me is a reaction, Ji-eun. I know it will probably take time but… Someday. They will stop. No one gets away with doing bad things. Someday, there will be justice. We just have to patiently wait for it.”

“Yeah, but I just get so irritated thinking about them and what they did yesterday.”

Eunji smiled at her, “Don’t think about it anymore. There is no use getting angry at them because in the end, it’ll be you who is suffering. Why dwell over something that has already happened in the past. They’ve probably forgotten what happened yesterday and here we are getting all worked up over them and they don’t even know. It’s not worth it.”

 Ji-eun stared at Eunji with some admiration. Whoa, that’s so true. Who knew Eunji could be so wise.

“But what if someone gets seriously hurt if they go too far?” Ji-eun asked, frowning in concern.

Eunji looked at her, eyes soft but glinted with determination. “I won’t let that happen to you, Ji-eun.”

Ji-eun was taken a back, feeling quite touched. “Um, I didn’t mean me. I meant you as well.”

“We will protect each other then.” Eunji said smiling but her eyes did project some sadness in it.

Ji-eun reached out and grasped Eunji’s hand, “I have decided.” She started slowly, “I will do the favour to sing at the masquerade with you.” All she wanted was for Eunji to be happier and doing the favour seemed to be the trick because Eunji immediately grinned excitedly.

“Really? Oh thank you so much Ji-eun ah!”

“But we are wearing masks for the whole night right?”

Eunji laughed, “of course you can if you want to. Usually people take their masks off by the end of the night but it’s your choice if you want to leave it on.”

Ji-eun bobbed her head, “okay so let me get this straight. This masquerade, is it like some kind of competition with everyone wearing masks to hide their identities and do blind auditions or something…” To be honest, she didn’t actually know what a masquerade was. She had come across the word in some books but it didn’t quite explain it’s definition.

Eunji gave her a strange look, “what? No no nooo, wait you don’t know what a masquerade is? My goodness.”

Ji-eun frowned, “erm…Well I thought I did but I guess I don’t hehe?”

Eunji laughed and shook her head, “you sure are a unique one, Ji-eun.”

Couldn’t agree more. Ji-eun thought silently.

“A masquerade is like a formal event which will be situated in the Bavyilon Mansion. The dress code is formal attire so everyone will be wearing fancy-looking masks and wearing formal clothes such as dresses or tuxedos.

“Oh…” That definition was definitely different to what Ji-eun had in mind. Then she gasped in realisation, “but I don’t have a dress or tuxedo to wear. Nor do I have fancy masks.”

Eunji just chuckled, “you must’ve never been to a formal event before. Tuxedos are for boys Ji-eun. Girls wear dresses.” She giggled at Ji-eun’s clueless expression, “that’s okay though. The dress and mask will be no problem at all, we can hit the mall on free day and get you something. Think of it as a thank you gift for doing me a favour.”

Ji-eun felt a bit more reassure then, “oh alright… But what’s a mall?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

“Let’s hurry or we will be late!” Eunji urged as she and Ji-eun hurried along the hallways.

Before Ji-eun could respond they had already reached a classroom which wasn't even a classroom but a library.

"This is our History class, we don't actually have a teacher, all we do is read books about our history, it's up to you what you want to learn," Eunji pointed to a group of Vetala sitting at a round table. "It's a pretty care free class actually."

Ji-eun glanced around, "then what's the point of History then? What if people don't want to study?"

Eunji giggled, "trust me, the librarians would know and it would be their fault if they fail their exams"

"We have exams?!?" Ji-eun exclaimed loudly causing her to be hushed by a chorus of hissing sounds. Eunji pulled her away from the group of snake-like people.

"Well, what do you expect? What would be the purpose of school then?" Ji-eun waved her hands

"Oh no, that wasn't what I meant, I mean, I didn't know we would have exams since no one is really teaching us anything you know?"

Eunji agreed. "Yeah, it is quite bizarre but you'll get used it eventually, all you do is pick a History topic, study it with books and at the end of the year, you tell the moderators what topic you were studying and they'll give you the exam paper." Eunji said simply.

"Anyway, we're wasting time, go have a look around if you like, feel free to ask me anything if you're not sure, I'll be over there" she pointed to a small table behind a bookshelf.

Ji-eun nodded and set off to the other side of the library where a stack of thick books were piled up on top of each other at a shelf.

She took one of the books and read the title, nope she look at another and another, none of the books really appealed to her, she almost gave up when something caught her eye at the bottom of the bookshelf.

 

Ji-eun crouched down to take a look, there, was a small black book sticking out from underneath the bookshelf. It was old and dusty, its pages were crumbled and yellowish brown.

She picked up the book and almost dropped it when she saw the title, The Witch Massacre it read. Ji-eun felt uneasy as she flipped through the pages, it's a journal she realized. The book didn't have the school name printed on it indicating that it didn't belong to the school. That means I don't have to borrow it she stuck the book into her pocket, she continued to scan the shelves when she got to the very back and saw a leg sticking out from behind the last shelf.

Ji-eun stepped closer and peered around. She clapped a hand to to suppress a gasp. 

It was Kai, but thankfully he was snoozing away on the beam bag in the corner to even notice she was there.

I should leave before he wakes up. She thought still a bit edgy around him and crept backwards steadily. It was then, her back hit the shelf behind her and a few books fell down making a clanging noise as they dropped down from the metal shelf.

Since it was the back of the library, not many people noticed and continued doing their own thing.

However, one particular person’s eyes snapped open and focused their vision on the Wingless Angel standing in front of them.

Kai blicked a few times and rubbed his eyes.

“Who disturbed my beauty sleep.” He murmured slowly.

Ji-eun laughed nervously, “erm… bye.” She quickly turned but a blur flashed in front of her before she could blink.

She bumped into a familiar solid chest and she jumped back in shock. How did he get there so fast?? Oh wait, he can teleport. Dang it.

Kai slipped his hands into his pockets, “oh? Was it you who woke me, Hiccups?”

He smirked darkly, “how nice of you.”

He stepped towards her as she stumbled back feeling quite frightened.

Kai leaned in closer, “how am I going to get back to sleep now?” As he closed the space between them.

She felt herself getting nearer to the wall behind her and Ji-eun knew she would soon be trapped.

Squeezing her eyes shut tightly, she stretched her hands out in front of her and yelped, “I’m sorry!!”

There was silence for a moment before she heard a small chuckle.

Ji-eun opened her eyes and looked up. Kai shot her a playful grin, “I was just joking with you, Hiccups. No need to be so afraid.”

He stepped away from her. Ji-eun released a silent breath, relieved. Kai looked at her curiously, “why are you here anyway?”

“I have history class.”

He nodded and stretched his arms behind his head. Ji-eun glanced at him, “do you have history class too?”

Kai’s eyes flittered to her briefly, “nope.”  

“Then why are you here? Don’t you have class?”

He shrugged, “skipped it.”

“What? You can’t do that? Study is important for your future.” Ji-eun couldn’t help but say. Her aunt always said that to her so it kind of drilled itself into her mind. She thought Kai was going to be pissd at her for telling him what to do when Kai let out a light chuckle.

"Have you always been this goody-two shoes? Its cute though."

Ji-eun felt her face flush at the comment. 

"Hmm seems like I'm not the only one skipping though." Kai said gazing out from beind the shelf and across the library.

Ji-eun followed his gaze and was perplexed to see Eunji and Baekhyun sitting at a table together. 

Baekhyun was saying something while Eunji just looked uncomfortable and didn't look at him.

It didn't seem to bother him though because he kept blabbering on about something while Eunji just sat there.

Finally Eunji looked up and spotted Ji-eun, eyes wide.

Baekhyun followed her gaze and also looked quite shocked to see them then he smirked as he glanced between Kai and Ji-eun.

"Let's go." Kai said, coming over to the table, Ji-eun followed behind.

"Fancy seeing you here hyung." Kai deadpanned as they neared the table. Eunji just leaned closer to Ji-eun feeling a bit intimidated. 

Baekhyun grinned at him, "I could say the same to you." He glanced at Ji-eun as he said this which made her feel slightly puzzled.

Baekhyun looked back up at Kai, "we better get going. Can't keep disturbing the lovely ladies now can we?" He winked at Eunji who looked away but her cheeks were slightly coloured.

Kai sighed, "I guess not." He locked eyes with Ji-eun, "I'll see you around Hiccups." He nodded at Eunji and strode off.

"Remember to meet at lunch time tomorrow!" Baekhyun reminded and followed his younger brother. 

Ji-eun and Eunji just looked at each other. What just happened? 

------------------------------------

A dark figured vampire with red eyes and fangs stared at the limp bodies of the demon-like figures around him. 

Another figure jumped down beside him, the sides of his mouth turning upwards, "that didn't take long."

"Mission accomplished."

Someone else said as he emerged from the darkness. He seemed to be the leader as his voice held great authority. 

"Those level 1 Dalmundums didn't even stand a chance."

A few more figures zipped into the clearing, completing the group of seven.

"Let's go, Lord Donghae is expecting us." The leader spoke. Within a millisecond, the seven vampires became blurs and disappeared into the night.

 

"Well done Infinite. I have expected much from you all and no one failed me." A man in his late 80's said. 

"You are too kind, my lord." The leader said, bowing his head.

Lord Donghae let out a hefty laugh, "good, very good. My boys." 

He smiled, the skin wrinkling around the corner of his eyes. "But there seems to be another mission to be completed."

The infinite members glanced at each other, "what is it?"

"The Masquerade held in Bavyilon. The book of Prophets will be there. I have heard that the demons will definitely try to get their tentacles on the book. I need you to get the book and bring it to me before any of those Dalmundums do." 

An extremely good-looking vampire with gorgeous dark eyes stepped up. "And what do we get in return?"

The old man chuckled, "Anything you boys want. Just say the word and I'll reward you, L."

L smirked.

"Good to know." The leader stated. 

Another handsome vampire smirked. "Can't wait to kick some ." 

"You're right Hoya. That would be fun." The stunning vampire on Hoya's left, commented.

All the vampires had dark smirks on their faces to match the eerie atmosphere when suddenly, "I want a duck." 

.....Silence was heard. And maybe crickets too.

The infinite turned to their fellow member whom had spoken. L was no longer there but instead, left Myungsoo in his midst. Just like that, the eerie atmosphere left replaced with a playful light air.

"Oh come on!!!" A tall vampire called Sungyeol, groaned.  

"Yeah! We had something cool going on and you had to ruin it for us!" Dongwoo, a vamire with big smiley teeth exclaimed.

Myungsoo shrugged. "But I like ducks. They're fluffy." 

Another good looking vampire, Woohyun spoke, exasperated. "Only ducklings are fluffy, Myungsoo. Ducks are feathery." 

"Why are we having this conversation." The youngest vampire, Sunjong stated as Myungsoo nodded thoughtfully at Woohyun's comment. 

"I want a duckling then."

The leader, Sunggyu just shook his head while Hoya sighed.

Lord Donghae watched their exchanged and laughed again, "you guys have never changed it seems." He turned to Myungsoo, "and yes I will get you a pet duck. But after you complete the mission."

"Deal." 

=======================

Hey Supernaturals!!!

Omgg thank you so so much for subs and comments!!!!

To be honest, I wasn't meant to update today, (explains the kind of boring chappie, sorry!!) But your comments just made me so happy I had to.

Sorry if there are any mistakes though, I am actually writing this from my phone so...XD

BUT IN REPLY TO ALL THEL LOVELY COMMENTS OF MY WONDERFUL READERS, 

Exo-m, Got7 and Ji-eun's aunt will appear soon. Please be patient and anticipate them!! I wouldn't say Ji-eun is a very powerful being but she is very unique and her powers may be stronger than others but thats all I can say. Do anticipate the future chappies to answer the rest of your questions. :DDD

Free day and the masquerade is also not far now so stay tuned for the next update!!

Love you all very much, Author-nim~~