Chapter 21 – Masquerade Part 4

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

Screams of terror broke out amongst the students as large black scaly creatures burst through the huge decorated windows. Glass shattered everywhere.

A siren alarm rang throughout the building as students scrambled about, using their powers in an attempt to defend themselves. Staff and teachers were shouting instructions above the terrified students but they all fell to deaf ears.

It was utter chaos.

Suho focused his attention back onto the six figures in black standing on stage, a dangerous air surrounding them. They all had wicked grins stretched across their faces.

I knew something was up the moment they appeared on stage, this most likely what grandfather was talking about. Suho thought, his hand conjuring up a small sphere of water.

He was about to direct his ball at the group when a spark of fire zipped past him towards their direction instead.

"Wait, Chanyeol!"

"Go back to hell you demons!" Chanyeol growled, he shot another fire ball at the six who seemed to notice their presence and smirked, dodging the attacks.

Suho quickly held up a hand signal just as the figures flew up into the air and disappeared into black mist, leaving the creatures to continue their chaos.

"NO THEY GOT AWAY!!" Chanyeol yelled furiously.

"Yah, its fine. One of my water droplets must've at least come into contact with one of them. So we can track em down." Suho stated calmly. "However," he warned turning around to the utter chaotic scene around them, students screaming, running around, glass and objects breaking, injuries occurring everywhere.

It was madness.

Suho pinched the bridge of his nose, "we need to get everything under control first."

"uhh how are we gonna do that?" Baekhyun asked.

Suho looked at D.O, "D.O and I can create a barrier to keep the rest of those weird demonic creatures from coming in here."

He looked at the rest of them, "you guys can deal with the creatures that are already inside."

"What about the students?" D.O asked.

"The staff will take care of them once everything is under control first."

Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at each other with playful smirks on their faces. "Alright!! Time to kick some demon ." Baekhyun said and ran off after Chanyeol who was already blasting fireballs at as many creatures as he could find.

"Right behind ya!" Kai called after them and then teleported towards the food table.

Sehun sighed and leaned against the wall, occasionally having a few objects that were flying around burst into pieces as it hit his wind shield he surrounded himself with.

Kai offered him some punch and he took it without a word.

"Ahem."

Kai almost spilled the drink he was holding in surprise and Sehun only tightened his fingers around the cup.

They both turned to see Suho standing there with a deadly aura around him while D.O stood behind him looking at them with an eyebrow raised.

"H-hyung" Kai uttered.

"What were my orders?"

"Got it sir, we'll go now." Kai muttered and put his drink down, even Sehun knew not to oppose their leader at this moment and he silently followed after Kai into the battlefield.

Suho shook his head and sighed. D.O looking at him with a little sympathy.


-------------------------------------
Ji-eun crept towards the main hallway where students were running past and she stepped out of the way as someone narrowly shot past her. Staff members were yelling instructions and students begin to hoard through exits.

Fear sparked through her as she saw multiple demonic creatures trudge through the other hallway intersecting the one she was in and she turned to run the other way. I have to find Eunji. She thought desperately, maybe she’s already escaped with everyone else?

She was about to follow everyone else when a large dark creature stepped in front of her, blocking her path. She locked gazes with frightening, red, beady eyes and suddenly a long black tentacle sprung forwards to strike her.

Ji-eun’s eyes widened and she barely flipped out of the way before the tentacle struck the ground where she previously was. Shaking, she turned around and sped down the hallway away from the creature.

Bulky footsteps sounded from behind her, no doubt the creature was chasing her. Ji-eun’s heart thudded hard against her chest as she turned a corner. Peeking behind her she saw it stretch its ugly mouth wide and let out a thundering roar shaking the ground beneath her.

Almost tripping she continued to race down the main hall, her eyes flittering around for the nearest exit. She felt a slight sensation of heat against her leg and she looked down surprised to see her dress pocket, the one that contained the key pouch– was glowing a bright blue hue. Eh?? Why is it glowing?!?

All of sudden several roars rattled the area around her and then it was numerous of those creatures and they were all headed towards her!

Screaming in fright, she pushed her legs to go faster. Why are they all chasing me??? As she turned another corner.

Then up ahead she spotted a large window that was slightly ajar. Taking a risk that she could actually open the window all the way, she lunged forward and grabbed the handle, ripping the window open and jumped through. Relieved that the floor she was on was only the second floor, Ji-eun was able to jump down safely into a nearby garden and ran for it. 

She had no idea where she was going but she just wanted to get away as fast as she could. Ugh, I can’t see properly with this mask in the way and these heels are killing my feet! I’d give 5 stars (stickers) to whoever can outrun those creatures in these. She thought as she took off her mask and tried to kick off her shoes (whilst running), which proved to be a pretty bad idea because she ended up tripping and landed painfully across the concrete of a footpath.

“Oww.” She groaned, trying to get up, her palms and knees were bleeding and her dress was starting to get dirty, a little torn.

Ji-eun glanced back but she no longer saw any of the black terrifying creatures coming her way and she breathed out in relief. She touched the pouch in her pocket and pulled it out. It was still glowing and it felt warm in her hand. “What is this…”   

A crash resounded from somewhere behind her and Ji-eun’s head whipped around. Her eyes widened fearfully as a large tentacle reached towards her and she screamed. However, the tentacle never reached her. A gust of wind blew past her and forced the creatures back brutally.

What-

A hand reached out and grabbed her arm pulling her arm and dragging her behind a wall.

“You aren’t supposed to be here.” A familiar cold voice stated.

Ji-eun glanced up into icy dark brown eyes. “S-sehun?” She murmured. The grip on her arm did not loosen.

Sehun had his mask off and he looked even more attractive with his fringe gelled upwards and the moonlight shone across his face. She felt her heart beat a little faster.

Sehun stared down at her, he had a lot of things on his mind but he decided not to do anything about them at this moment. Ji-eun looked back down at her pouch to see it had stopped glowing, huh weird.

“You aren’t supposed to be here.” He repeated but not harshly. Instead, it was softest tone she had ever heard him use towards her (but still cold). “It’s dangerous. You should be with the other teachers and students.” He said, breaking his gaze and looked around before pushing her towards a small gate that lead to another building. “I can’t get you back to the others now but you should stay here for the time being. It should be safer. I don’t know where your friend is but someone should come for you soon. So don’t go anywhere.”

Ji-eun nodded quietly and he let go of her arm. He turned to leave when she called out his name.

“Thank you.” She said but to her astonishment, Sehun narrowed his eyes at her, scrutinising.

“Whatever you’re hiding, it won’t escape from me Lee Ji-eun.” Was the last thing he said before he disappeared leaving Ji-eun with another issue to worry about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. This is my ultimate heaven. The building was actually a really large library and since Ji-eun loved reading books she was in such awe when she stepped in.

All sorts of books and novels could be found in the area and Ji-eun wished she would never have to leave. I wonder who owns this library? It seems that Sehun is quite familiar with this place…

There were multiple rooms, a huge grandfather clock with it pendulum clicking from side to side against a wall and there was even a large spiral staircase in the middle of the building. Ji-eun slowly climbed up the stairs admiring everything along the way and finally she reached the top.

“Whoa.” She breathed, her eyes sparklingly as she looked over at the many many bookshelves then looked relatively clean and newer than the books on the bottom floor. She went up to one of the bookshelves and took out a book. She gasped excitedly, this is one of my favourite authors! Imo always gave books from her to me.

She turned the book over, and it’s a recent book too! I wonder if anyone would mind if I took this with me back to the dorm. Ji-eun thought but put it back grudgingly as she knew she shouldn’t take stuff that isn’t hers without permission.   

Rustle. Creak.

The hairs on the back of Ji-eun’s neck stood on end. She turned around, what was that sound? She reached up to grip her necklace.

Rustle. Rustle.

It appeared to be coming from behind a bookshelf on the far end of the space just directly across from her. Mice?

Ji-eun quietly crept over towards the bookshelf and was astound to find another door she didn’t see before from where she stood. With a pounding heart, her hand reached out and grasped the door handle, slowly pushing it open.

It’s too dark. Was the first thing that came to Ji-eun’s mind as she opened the door wider.

Creak.

“H-hello?” Ji-eun cautiously called out as she tried to feel around the wall next to her for the light switch. 

Silence.

Trying to harbor her breathing, she stepped forward a little to only kick something that felt like a book by accident, which must have been lying on the ground.

Finally she found the switch and flicked it on. Light flooded the room and Ji-eun stepped back in horror as the contents of the room was revealed.  

The room wasn’t very large but it wasn’t all that small either. Books and papers strewn everywhere on the ground, there was a messy desk in the corner of the room with a broken lamp and a few more bookshelves aligned against the walls but what caught her attention were the dark silhouettes at the back of the room.

Mannequins.

Ji-eun walked closer, stepping over the scattered pile of books on the ground. There were four of them in total and they were all male. One was sitting on a couch, his head down with a book in hand. The other was standing in a corner of the room leaning against the wall with his eyes closed.  

A tall glass cabinet stood in between the two which also held another mannequin, standing with his hands in his pockets and head tilted to the side. The last one was perched on the armchair of the couch and Ji-eun’s heart jolted when she found the doll’s gaze was almost like it was looking directly at her.      

Carefully, Ji-eun slowly moved out of the direction of the gaze and when the eyes didn’t move from her previous spot, Ji-eun allowed herself to relax. She even felt a bit stupid. Their just dolls, Ji-eun. They aren’t real. What are you so scared for. Those sounds must’ve been the mice.

She dared to move a little more closer that so she could see each mannequin more closely. They were all wearing crimson, almost brown capes with hoods, black pants and black collared shirts with matching dark red palm gloves. Their features were well defined and had very good-looking unique faces.

She slowly walked up to the one perched on the chair and gazed at him, he looks so real. She thought as she studied his baby face. Fascinating, there’s a peculiar-looking tattoo on his neck. Whoever made these dolls must be super skilled. Ji-eun was about to reach out and touch his face when a warm sensation was felt in her pocket. Distracted, Ji-eun withdrew her hand and touched her pocket, the key was glowing the same bright blue colour again.

“Hm this is so strange…” She mumbled and turned her back to the doll while holding up the glowing pouch. It looks pretty though...

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a shadow looming towards her form and she spun around. Ji-eun sighed in relief when she saw nothing was out of place and it was probably just her imagination.

But something was wrong.

One of the mannequins’ were missing.

There were four before but now there was only three.  The one in the glass cabinet was gone.  

 What in the world- 

Ji-eun narrowly missed the strong quick hand that swiped down at her. Trembling, she stared up at the tall, intimidating and now moving doll from the glass cabinet who was looming over her scared figure.

They’re not mannequins at all!

The fake mannequin had a frightening smile on his face as he stared down at her.

“Heh…? You’ve got fast reflexes, that’s nice.” He tried to swipe at her again but she jumped out of the way, making a break for the door.

Time, listen to my command and halt.” He said something in a language that she recognised was Chinese but she due to her limited knowledge, she had no idea what he was saying at all. She only knew that he was attacking her without hesitation which means she could be killed.  

Ji-eun kept running down the stairs, not noticing the difference in the atmosphere but for some reason it felt like she was treading on air and she was not running as fast as she would hope. She glanced at the grandfather clock and found it had stopped ticking.

Time had stopped.

But she was still moving.

What a surprise. The girl defied the laws of time, Zi-Tao. Could she be a sorceress?” The guy who was leaning against the wall appeared in front of her with his arm outstretched as she was forced to come to an abrupt stop.

Freeze.” He said and to Ji-eun’s dismay, her body started freezing up but just from her waist down was covered in ice.

“What are you doing? Let me go!” Ji-eun exclaimed. I can’t believe I thought they were mannequins, they’re crazy!

The baby-faced looking guy walked up to her, his face innocent but his gaze cut through her emotionlessly. He stood close but not quite touching her and spoke, “although it may be true that beings who practice witch-craft are not affected by time control, she most definitely does not have a witch scent. She is either angel-born genetically abnormal or she is a hybrid who is especially good at hiding her other half.”   

Ji-eun felt really unnerved as she heard this guy speak even though she didn’t understand anything being said. Knowing that they could possibly kill her at any moment now, she reached up to grip her necklace.

“Unseal and release!” She yelled and her staff appeared in her hand. With much difficulty, she tried to swing her staff around, with her bottom half still frozen and pointed it at the baby faced guy who had jumped out of the way and was looking at her with slight amusement present on his handsome face.

“It seems she’s also full of surprises.” He said to Ji-eun’s shock. He can speak Korean??

 “Let me go. I’m not afraid to use this you know.” She warned, glaring at them.

Another guy stepped into her field of vision, he was the one on the couch with the book “give us that key you have and we’ll let you go.”

Key? She looked at the key pouch where the strings were slung around her wrist and it was still glowing. She remembered Eunji and her grandfather’s words, “You are the rightful person to hold this key. We trust you.” “Do keep it safe, Ji-eun!”

Ji-eun brought the key closer to her, “I can’t do that. It was given to me as a gift.”

Suddenly the tip of a long blade was held against her neck. Dark cold eyes pierced through her as the guy controlling time skilfully held a sword, one move and she would be dead. “We didn’t ask you. It was an order. Or you die.”

That’s enough. Tao, we can’t kill her.” The book guy said.

Why not?” The baby-faced guy asked.

The ice guy looked at the book guy “Chen is right, if she has the key she must know where the book is hidden. We can’t kill her yet.”   

Tao grunted and put away his sword much to Ji-eun’s relief. “What is Duizhang going to say though if we return without the book?”

Who’s Duizhang? And what book are they talking about? Ji-eun thought as she placed her palm against the ice, as they were talking (with her trying to eavesdrop but failing since they were being smart and mostly speaking in Chinese. She regretted not listening to her aunt whenever she was trying to teach her different languages.) She had discreetly whispered a basic spell that made her palms warm (which was only meant to be effective to keep your hands warm in winter). The ice was (very) slowly melting while the others were distracted and she hoped it would melt faster.  

“We will take her with us. Let Yifan interrogate her.” Ice guy said.

The baby face guy nodded, “I agree with Xiumin. Trust Ryeowook to have hidden the book so well.”

Ji-eun’s eyes widened, no way! They ain’t kidnapping me!

Ignoring the fact that her palms have gone numb from the cold, she felt around for a small dent that she had melted into the ice and she slammed her staff against it. The ice cracked and broke.

Without wasting anytime, Ji-eun swung her staff at the nearest guy which happened to be Tao, the tip of her staff slightly scratched his cheek drawing blood.

Time started moving again.

Tao was furious, “you little-

Ji-eun tried to strike Chen but he grabbed her staff and flipped it out of the way. Ji-eun sent a high kick at his head who ducked. She ran past them and out the door.

Xiumin was about to freeze her again but the baby faced guy placed a hand on his arm. “Let her go for now.

Luhan, we can’t let her get away like that. How are we going to find the book?

Luhan crossed his arms, his eyes looking in the direction Ji-eun had just ran in, a devious smile crossing his face.

I think we ought to have a little fun with this hm? Just a little more time wasted won’t hurt.” He gave them a cold look, “besides, we’ve got our lovely brothers to deal with.”  

Chen grinned, “did you see the look on their faces when we performed? That was priceless!

Tao snickered in agreement.

Xiumin held up his palm, a small ice crystal was floating above his hand and he gazed at it amused, “oh little Joonmyun. How naïve he had always been. Thinking he could track us down with this water droplet of his.”

His eyes flashed orange and the ice crystal broke.

Just you wait patiently EXO-K, your dear brothers will be back soon.

========================================

Hey Supernaturals!

I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING IN SO LONG, IVE BEEN SO BUSY LATELY WITH UNIVERSITY AND EVERYTHING ITS JUST BEEN HECTIC.

BUT THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUBS AND COMMENTS!!!!!!! I know I’ve probably lost some readers for not updating for so long but I STILL HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER AND I WILL TRY TO UPDATE REAL SOON! If not, I will most definitely try to update at least a few more times before the year ends!

 

Replies to previous comments from chapter 20: (Sorry can’t get to the comments from chaps 18 and 19. But I have read everyone’s comments and I am immensely happy with everyone’s responses to this story so thank you so much!!!)

samsamphorn: Here’s your update! SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG D:

stoneheartedprincess : YEP EXO-M! WELLDONE! :D

sushi_pilsuk : Welcome to the fam new reader! Hope you will continue supporting this story!!!<3

Owlrose : Aw thank you so much! I am very flattered to hear that. I hope to continue to make a better comeback with this story. J

 

That’s all for now, see you next time!

Lots of love, Author-nim.