Chapter 12

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

“This is where we get down to the real fun as I’m going to get you guys to spar,” Jongsuk paused and glanced at them all, a mischievous spark in his eye. “Blindfolded.”

A wave of excitement, uncertainty and slight worry washed over the students. Not all coped well without their sight, Ji-eun being one of them.

“This time though, I am going to swap a few partners around because I want everyone to have a partner who is on similar fighting and ability levels. Also, same gender partners. Again, no individual powers, no transformations no nothing but your fight skills." Jongsuk tapped his foot and continued, “remember guys, feel your opponent’s presence. You don’t need to see to know.”  

He turned to look and Ji-eun thoughtfully.

"Hmm, I don't know what level you are at fighting so I'm just going to put you on the side for now okay?"

Ji-eun nodded eagerly, thank goodness I don’t have to fight.

She then caught a glimpse of Jiwoo and her friends looking at her. Jiwoo then leaned over to one of her pretty fairy friends and whispered in her ear, eyeing Ji-eun mockingly. The fairy seem to nod to what she was whispering and smirked.

Ji-eun became almost awestruck when the fairy walked up to her. She was quite tall, with silky brown hair and pretty eyes, her wings were light purple and glittery tucked behind her back.

Whoa, she’s really pretty. She couldn’t help but think even though the fairy is probably really mean like Jiwoo.

"I challenge you." She said staring directly at Ji-eun who snapped out of her daze.

"Uh what?"

"You heard me, I challenge you to a fight."

Oh right. So that’s what Jiwoo wanted. Ji-eun frowned, if I say no, that will show that I’m scared of them and will give them more of a reason to make fun of me. But if I say yes, I have a very high possibility of being beat up. Lovely. Someone shoot me.

She seemed to be thinking for a bit too long that the fairy decided to mock her, “what? Too scared to fight me, Wingless?” She snorted, “or should I say, Gutless?”

Jiwoo and her friends laughed with her.

Such a beautiful looking being but ugly personality. What a shame. 

Sighing, she answered, “fine. I accept.” JI-EUN WHAT DID YOU JUST DO.

An evil smile spread across the fairy’s face, “good. I’ll let Jongsuk know.”

 

Jongsuk gave Ji-eun an inquisitive look. “Are you sure you want to participate Ji-eun?”

No. Absolutely not. “Yes. I’m sure.”

Jongsuk nodded, “okay and Dahee-ssi tells me you want to be partners with her?”

Ji-eun nodded but tried to give him silent signals with her eyes to not allow it.

Jongsuk raise his eyebrows and chuckled, “well this would be interesting, a match between the new student and one of the best students of the taekwondo club.”

Ji-eun’s head snapped up so quickly, she almost had a whiplash. What.

She glanced at Dahee who gave her a devious grin. Her shoulder’s slumped, great. I’m up against a black belt.

Ji-eun went back to giving Jongsuk the eye signals but all he said was, “I look forward to it.” 

I’m doomed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, Jongsuk put the class into groups of 4’s as there weren’t enough mats to go around for all pairs, a pair from each group has to share a mat and swap over.

Ji-eun and Dahee were placed together with D.O and Sehun.

Why do I always somehow end up with at least one of the EXO-K members for everything?

Ji-eun glanced over at Dahee who was gazing at D.O and Sehun, a dazed look in her eyes. Er… I guess she doesn’t seem so intimidating when she’s like this.

Dahee turned and saw Ji-eun staring.

She glared at her, ‘what are you looking at?’ She mouthed. 

Ji-eun waved her hands in front of her nervously, ‘uh nothing!’ She mouthed back and faced forward.

“Do you girls want to use the mats first?” D.O asked them, smiling politely.

“Oh no no, you both can use it first, it’s fine!” Dahee answered, giving him a dazzling smile and flicking her hair.

Ji-eun’s jaw mentally dropped at the sudden 180 degree change in attitude. She gave Dahee a slightly weirded out expression.

Sehun must’ve seen her since he was looking at her with his usual poker face but just maybe Ji-eun saw a small amused glint in his eye. Probably my imagination.

 

D.O and Sehun positioned themselves on opposites sides of the mat.

“The timer is set to 3 minutes.” Dahee informed them.

Ji-eun shivered, suddenly the atmosphere felt so intense and strange. She focused her attention on the two figures in front of her.

D.O looked completely serious and she felt the aura around him was beginning to become more threatening.

Sehun still had the cold expression on his face but if he was intimidating before, he looked absolutely frightening now.

"Ready?" Sehun met D.O's unwavering gaze and smirked.

They both put their blindfolds on.

“And start!” Dahee called.

At first they just stood there facing each other until D.O slid swiftly to the side and darted at Sehun with his fist aiming at his face but Sehun had already ducked and swiped his leg out from under him. D.O jumped back.

Without waiting for D.O to regain his footing, Sehun sent a quick side-kick to D.O's head who blocked it with his arm. They continued to send quick and sharp attacks at each other.

Ji-eun was stunned, how could they attack each other so fast without even seeing each other?

“This is going to be quite entertaining. I wonder who’s going to win this time.” Ji-eun swivelled around in shock. Jongsuk was behind her watching the match in front of them. When did he get here??

Jongsuk’s gaze slid over to her, “usually they always draw whenever I put the two together. It’s only been a few times that one actually wins.”

Ji-eun nodded slowly, “I guess their strength and skills are on par with each other then?”

Jongsuk’s mouth quirked up, “not necessarily.” He turned his focus back on the match and continued, “D.O and Sehun are actually a pretty good sparing duo. Wanna know why?”

I don’t know why he’s telling me this but okay, “sure.”

“D.O’s individual power is earth manipulation whereas Sehun’s is air manipulation. Depending on your skill level of power use, there are many ways you can use both of these powers. Since D.O’s and Sehun’s skill level are very high, they are able to use their powers naturally to see instead of their eyes.”

“I thought you said we can’t use our powers though?” Ji-eun questioned.

Jongsuk nodded, “yes. However, D.O and Sehun are an exception. They are so in touch with their powers that it is natural for them, it’s like their sixth sense now. They can’t turn it off just like that. For example if someone tells you to stop hearing, you can’t exactly stop can you. You can block it temporarily I guess but even that is hard. You might still hear muffled noise and such. Earth and Air are pretty much similar.”

“I see.” Ji-eun answered in understanding. That’s pretty cool though. “How are they actually ‘seeing’?”

Jongsuk rubbed his chin, “hmm. Good question. From what I’ve gathered from both their powers, D.O can feel others’ presence through the earth. I guess it’s the vibrations and pressure that run through ground. Sehun on the other hand can sense others’ presence through vibrations and movement in the air. That’s all I can explain though. I’m neither an earth or air manipulator so I wouldn’t know exactly how it works.” He turned to face Ji-eun, “if you really want to know though, I recommend you ask the actual users who have experience in these areas.”

“Uhh, I’m good thank you.” Ji-eun replied. Ask Sehun? Not a chance. Hmm D.O might not be so bad but to be safe, I’ll keep the questions to myself for now.      

Sehun aimed a punch at D.O but as he dodged to the right, Sehun's right leg shot up and kicked D.O in the stomach. D.O grunted and tried to sock Sehun in the gut. However Sehun got a hold of his chest and pushed him backwards, striking his face in the process.

Ji-eun winced, ouch that’s got to hurt. But to her dismay, D.O just chuckled darkly and wiped his mouth which now had blood from his busted lip.

“Impressive.”

Without warning he jumped high into the air and sent a round kick at Sehun who tried to block with his arms but couldn't since the strength and force of D.O's kick was way too strong. Sehun slammed to the ground but as D.O was about to stomp on him, he rolled away just in time and grabbed D.O's leg in the process.

Trying to keep his balance, D.O kicked Sehun's arm who immediately let go of his leg and D.O somersaulted in the air landing safely on the ground.

“Times up.” Dahee said. D.O and Sehun took their blindfolds off.

Jongsuk clapped his hands, “that was a very good fight guys. One of the most intense ones you’ve had so far. Keep it up.”

He then turned to Ji-eun and Dahee, “alright you’re both up.”

Ji-eun froze, oh shoot. Right. Yes. I almost forgot about my upcoming death.

She slowly stood up and followed Dahee to the mats.

Ji-eun put on the blindfold, the uneasiness coming back.

“And 3 minutes is set. Start!” Jongsuk called.

Ji-eun barely moved before a hard punch was sent into her stomach. She coughed, doubling over and clutched her stomach.

A kick was sent to her leg making her lose balance and fall to the ground. She groaned in pain as another kick was sent to her side.

“Enough.” Jongsuk said. “Just this once, Dahee, let Ji-eun regain her balance before attacking her again. Ji-eun, focus. Here’s your chance.”

Damn, this girl is good. Even Jongsuk’s making her go easy on me.

Ji-eun struggled a bit to get up, her leg and sides aching. Then she felt a sharp jab into her neck and she slightly stepped back making Dahee’s punch miss her face by an inch. Ji-eun put her hands out to block but the problem was, she didn’t know where she was supposed to block. Dahee was very quick and socked her in the side, kicking her in the knee cap. 

Ji-eun fell onto the mat for the second time, her breathing unsteady. She felt very hopeless and humiliated. Ji-eun was so beat, she just wanted the 3 minutes to end already.

In the distance, she heard giggling and had a feeling she knew who it was. She clenched her fist and pressed her lips tightly together, she really wanted to give up.

But then she remembered, what would her aunt say during their training sessions at home? ‘Relax Ji-eun and breathe when you deliver your attacks. Clear your mind and be aware of your surroundings and your opponent.’ 

Other voices filled her head ‘remember guys, feel your opponent’s presence. You don’t need to see to know.’

I don’t need to see to know where you are, Hiccups.

New determination filled her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jongsuk stared at Ji-eun worriedly, she’s staying down on the mat for a while now. Should I end the match? He glanced down at the timer. There’s a minute left. He focused his attention back on the helpless angel, I have this feeling that Ji-eun can really fight though.

Chanyeol finished his fight with Baekhyun and went over to the wall to sit down when he witnessed Ji-eun fall onto the mat. He furrowed his eyebrows when Dahee kicked her in the side. What the heck is she doing? Can’t she block?

Sehun was having similar thoughts as he watched her getting beaten up without fighting back. Don’t get him wrong, he wasn’t worried or anything. He was just annoyed at the fact that she was being so weak and vulnerable. He absolutely despises anything so defenceless.

D.O just watched with slight concern showing on his face. He glanced at Jongsuk, hoping he’d end the match soon.

Jongsuk frowned when Dahee tried to kick her once again but just as he was about to stop the match, Ji-eun rolled out of the way and stood up, surprising everyone.

She lifted her chin and straightened her posture. “Come at me Dahee.” Ji-eun said, her voice low but strong.

Dahee smirked and charged directly at her. But this time, Ji-eun was ready. She felt the rush, the slight force of Dahee’s momentum and movement rapidly coming towards her.

Ignoring her aching limbs, Ji-eun moved.

 Dahee barely registered Ji-eun’s fist coming towards her face before she jumped out of the way but Ji-eun wasn’t finished and struck her in the side.

Dahee was most definitely surprised, it has been a long time since someone was able to even touch let alone hit her.

Dahee attempted to kick Ji-eun but her leg was caught and flipped upwards making her lose balance.

Growling, Dahee swung a hasty fist at the wingless angel who ducked and elbowed her in the stomach, knocking the breath out of her.  

Ji-eun jumped up and butterfly kicked Dahee making her fall onto the mat with a loud thump.

She was about to kick Dahee again but paused and stepped back.

“Time’s up!”

Ji-eun breathed heavily as she took off her blindfold, Dahee doing the same.

“Why did you stop?” Dahee looked at Ji-eun and asked softly.

“Huh?”

“I know you were going to kick me. I felt it. But you stopped before your foot even touched me. Why?”

Ji-eun let a small smile cross her face, “I fight to defend myself. Not to cause someone else pain.”

She then looked up and was shocked to see the whole class gathered around them watching her with disbelief on their faces.

Ji-eun saw Jiwoo in the background fuming silently. She glanced at EXO-K to see Baekhyun staring at her in shock, Suho, kai and D.O were giving her approving looks while Sehun and Chanyeol appeared indifferent or were trying to be.  

The bell rang and Jongsuk stood in front of the class. “Well done guys! I am very pleased with everyone’s matches so far. Next week we will focus more on powers. Class dismissed!”

He then turned to Ji-eun and Dahee, “great fight girls. The results were much unexpected. But in a good way.”

After Jongsuk went to talk to the EXO-K members, a hand was offered in front of Ji-eun.

She looked up and was quite surprised to see it was Dahee.

“Good fight.” She said, her eyes giving off new respect.

Ji-eun hesitantly took her hand, “um thanks.”

“No worries.”Dahee smiled and not in the unfriendly way this time. “I’ll be going now. See you around?”

Ji-eun just nodded, not sure if Dahee was being serious or not.

Dahee nodded back and walked off.

A few meters away stood Jiwoo who saw the exchange and she was not happy.

 

Ji-eun felt a chill travel up her spine and she suddenly felt cold. She remembered the aching of her limbs and she bit her lip from screaming out in pain.

“Ji-eun? Are you alright?” Jongsuk asked and the EXO-K members turned to look at her.

“I’m f-fine. Ssem, I’ll be going now.” She took a step forward, her leg wobbling unstably. She took another step and gasped as she fell forward.

Jongsuk caught her. “Whoa.” He turned to EXO-K who were watching somewhat worriedly. “Can one of you help me here?”

D.O stepped forward and seized her arm, helping Jongsuk gently lower her down on the ground.

He glanced up at Jongsuk, “Her skin feels cold.”

Jognsuk nodded, eyebrows furrowed. “It’s probably one of the side effects from being hit too close to a fatal organ. She needs to go to the infirmary and get it checked quickly.”

“Chanyeol, carry here there.” Jongsuk said, looking at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol crossed his arms, “why me?”

“I could take her.” Kai offered, “I’ll just teleport.”

He can teleport? Ji-eun thought but was too cold to think more of it.   

Jongsuk shook his head, “no. We need Chanyeol to carry her to keep her warm and increase her body temperature.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “fine.”

Ji-eun shifted back a bit, “n-no. I’m alright. I can w-walk.” She stuttered.

“Oh hush and come here.” Chanyeol came closer and gathered her into his arms. He lifted her up bridal style, practically cradling her. She felt her face heat up and it wasn’t because of his warmth.

Jongsuk told the other EXO-K members to go back to their dorms while Chanyeol took Ji-eun to the infirmary. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was quiet the whole time as Chanyeol carried her to the infirmary. Ji-eun gradually stopped shivering. She could feel the heat coming off of him.

What exactly is his individual power? Being a heat transmitter?

Chanyeol glanced down at her and saw the confused expression she wore. He instantly knew what she was thinking.

“Fire manipulation.”

Ji-eun looked up “what? Oh. Right.” How did he know what I was thinking??

She discreetly glanced back up and stared at his side profile. Having a close up of his face like this sent butterflies swarming around in her stomach. He’s actually really handsome. Ji-eun thought and she found his eyes quite enchanting too. They have this warm and deep feeling within them despite the fact that he’s scowling– wait.

She realised that she was blatantly staring into Chanyeol’s eyes while he had stopped at the infirmary already. 

“You done staring?” Chanyeol asked. Ji-eun felt her face burn and she looked down at her hands as he gently placed her down on the sick bed.

“There was a note on the door saying the doctor will be back in 10 minutes.” Chanyeol stated. Ji-eun nodded and watched him walk away, sighing. But to her astonishment, he came back and gave her a glass of water and then sitting down on the chair next to the bed.

Ji-eun was quite puzzled but sipped her water anyway. Chanyeol was looking out the window when he spoke again, “I want to know who you really are.”

Ji-eun choked on the water. She continued to cough and splatter while Chanyeol just gave her a blank stare.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” Ji-eun asked, hitting her chest still slightly coughing.

Chanyeol had a bemused expression on his face and answered, “the song title for our music assignment.”

Ji-eun’s eyes widened in realisation, “right! Yeah.” She started laughing because what was she thinking, of course he didn’t want to know who she really was right? “Ahem, uh w-where did the title come from?”

“Baekhyun came up with the title. I’ve already started to compose a few tunes we could use. But the music arrangement and lyrics can be left till free day when we meet up again.” 

“Alright. I’ll see what I can come up with and I’ll let Eunji know about the title so she can have so ideas for the lyrics.” Ji-eun said and Chanyeol nodded.

A middle aged women entered the room and was surprised to see them there, “oh! I’m sorry, won’t be a moment, let me just get somethings first.”

Chanyeol turned to Ji-eun, “that’s the school doctor by the way. We call her Dr. Yoo.”

He stood up, “she’s here now so there’s no more reason for me to be here any longer.” Chanyeol said and turned to walk out.

“Thank you.” Ji-eun said quietly before he was out of hearing range.

Chanyeol stopped but didn’t turn around.

He seemed to be contemplating something for a moment before he let out a small, “you’re welcome.” With that he walked out leaving a shocked Ji-eun behind.     

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ji-eun! Are you okay?” Ji-eun turned her head to see Eunji standing at her bedside looking at her with worry. “A note was sent to me saying my roommate was in the sickbay because she was injured. Was it because someone hurt you? Are they bullying you? I told you not to get involved with me! This is all my fault.” Eunji exclaimed all at once and tears ended up spilling from her eyes.

“Eunji, I’m fine! Don’t cry. It wasn’t your fault at all so don’t you dare blame yourself.” Ji-eun smiled, “besides, Dr. Yoo healed me. My wounds don’t really hurt that much anymore.”

It was true. She found it remarkable that Dr. Yoo was able to use some healing magic but she could only use it to heal external wounds only and to some extent.

Ji-eun was amazed to see another supernatural use healing magic when witches or warlocks that specialised in healing were quite rare and the art of healing is very difficult to master. Dr. Yoo was also very nice and caring that she kind of reminded Ji-eun of her aunt.

“Then how did you get those wounds?” Eunji asked wiping her tears.

Ji-eun tried to make it sound like it wasn’t a big deal and laughed. “We were just sparring in Mystic training today and I just got hit a few times because I wasn’t careful, that’s all.”

Eunji frowned at her, “well next time you should be more careful! You should know that Mystic training can be quite dangerous, it’s up to us to keep ourselves safe.”  

Ji-eun grinned at her, “yes ma’am.”

Eunji rolled her eyes at her but smiled.

Ji-eun gestured Eunji to sit down next to her and told her about the information on the music assignment Chanyeol told her.

I want to know who you really are. I like it actually. It has a nice ring to it.” Eunji said, giving an approving nod.

“Ah! Eunji, what’s free day?” Ji-eun had heard Chanyeol and Baekhyun mention it but she had no idea what it was.

Eunji clicked her fingers, “oh yeah. No one really explained that to you huh. Well free day is exactly what it means. It’s where we get free period for the whole day. Meaning no classes, no club activities, nothing. We get free day every fortnight on the last day of the week. Usually students like to spend the day hanging outside the school.”

Ji-eun perked up, we get to go outside??

“Really?? Where do students go?” She asked, excitement seeping from her voice.

 “Hmm, depends. Students like to go to the mall, the beach, the park, umm the movies? Those are the most popular places I guess.”

Ji-eun just nodded along but she had no idea what places Eunji was talking about. She’s read a bit about them in her fiction books but they didn’t provide much description about the area so she always had to imagine what the place looked like instead of actually knowing.

Eunji tapped her chin, thinking hard. “Occasionally, there would be these special events that are held like festivals and entertainment concerts. Oh yeah, at night time students go out to restaurants for dinner but most of them go club- erm yeah.” Eunji trailed off, looking a bit regretful.

“Most of them go where?” Ji-eun asked, curiously.

“Uh nevermind! You should really try the food out there. Tell you what, since free day is coming up, I’ll take you to some good places. You will most definitely love the food. How about it?” Eunji said, grabbing Ji-eun’s hand.

“Yes, please!” Ji-eun replied, squeezing Eunji’s hand excitedly but then she remembered, “I don’t have any money though.” And she was really looking forward to eating delicious food too.

Eunji smiled, “that’s okay! It’s my treat, for being such a great friend so far.”

Ji-eun beamed, “thank you so much Eunji!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Ji-eun was able to leave from the infirmary by Dr. Yoo’s permission, Eunji and Ji-eun headed back to their dorm.

Ji-eun flopped down, lying flat onto her bed, exhausted. Eunji giggled at her dead-looking figure and went over to sit down on her bed, taking out a novel to read.

Soon Ji-eun fell asleep and by the time she woke up, Eunji had just come out of the shower. She was drying her hair with a towel and saw Ji-eun was awake.

“Slept well?”

Ji-eun rubbed her eyes and gave Eunji a closed lip smile, nodding.

Eunji went over to her bed and laid out her blankets. “Ji-eun?”

“Hmm?” Ji-eun mumbled as she got her pyjamas and towel out to shower.

“I know this might be a bit late notice and I would understand if you don’t want to but can you do me a favour?”

Ji-eun just nodded, not thinking about how big the favour was going to be.

Eunji fidgeted with her fingers. “Um well, there is a special event that occurs every year where every student from this school is invited as well as other schools, to Bayvilon.”

“Bayvilon? Wait, that’s the rich district isn’t it?” Ji-eun vaguely remember her aunt telling her about the different districts surrounding their district, Ravelyl Moon. She remembered Bayvilon because its name sounded fun to say and she kept repeating it in a posh voice (which annoyed the heck out of her aunt by the way).

“Yes. Bayvilon is actually… my home town.”

Say what??? Eunji’s a rich girl? Ji-eun was shocked, she was confused. In fiction they always described rich girls as mean, spoilt brats who have everything and wants everything to go their way. Eunji was nothing like that– or maybe she just wasn’t reading the right books.

Eunji bit her lip, “my grandfather is a member of the Silver Rose. Which is like an important committee that works alongside the government or the council, they’re called.”

“Wow that so cool!”

“Yeah. But please keep that a secret, no one in this school must know that my grandfather is part of the Silver Rose. I have been taken advantage of before because of that knowledge. Only a few people know about him, including you now.”

“My lips are sealed, I won’t tell a single soul.”

Eunji smiled at Ji-eun gratefully, “thank you.”

“Sooo, what’s the favour again?”

“Ah yes, so basically the event is actually held by the members of the Silver Rose and the Headmaster of this school.” Eunji looked at Ji-eun a bit uneasily, “they are holding a masquerade and my grandfather asked me to sing for the occasion but we need another person to sing for the night as well.”

She looked at Ji-eun pleadingly, “I’ve heard you sing before and the moment he asked me, I just knew you would be perfect for the job. So the favour is… Will you sing at the masquerade with me?”   

=============================================

Hey Supernaturals!!!

I'm back with a new chappie!! I hope you liked the fight scene and the little Channie moment with Ji-eunnie.

And what is this?? Eunji asking Ji-eun to sing at the masquerade?? But what if a certain someone finds out that she's the witch?? 

Stay tuned to find out! 

Thank you so much for the subs and comments!!! I really really really appreciate them! Do tell me what you guys think of this chapter!!

From, Author-nim~