Chapter 2

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

After cleaning up the attic, Ji-eun was now in her room looking for a spell to learn, flicking through her thick book of spells when a piece of ripped paper fell out.

She picked it up. It was a spell but it didn't say what type it was.  

Curious, Ji-eun read the spell trying to memorize the magical words in her head.

"Mirror mirror nunc de manifestasti mihi."

 

Nothing happened.

Ji-eun looked around to see if anything was misplaced but everything seemed that same as they were before. She glanced back at the paper, hmm. So it’s not a basic spell then I’m guessing.

Ji-eun pursed her lips and decided to try again, "mirror mirror nunc de manifestasti mihi."

She waited a few moments and scanned the room, still nothing.

Ji-eun thought back to the other spells that she tried to learn, how long did they take me? Let’s see, usually the attack spells take the longest to learn so about a few days. Hmmm. Her eyes flickered to her spell book and lingered on one of the defence spells, they generally take one day or even half a day if I really concentrated.

She frowned at the piece of paper in her hand, “it would really help if I knew what type of spell you are.” She said to it.

Ji-eun groaned, it could be anything! A creation spell, a reformation spell, a manipulation spell or... She gasped, “what if it’s a healing spell? Never really tried that before and Imo said it’s really hard to master, that’s why only a few of our race specialise in the art of healing, although...” She trailed off. They’re all gone.   

Flopping down onto her bed, she huffed and gripped the paper in front of her face. I don’t think it is a hard spell though, but not a simple one either. She looked closer at the words, they seem different from the spells she usually learnt. This one appeared to be very strange.

A thought occurred to her, what if it’s one of the many unique spells that require great power and time to activate them? Her Imo once said that the youngest witch that had mastered at least one of the unique spells was 50 years old. Ughh that will take me forever. I’m nowhere near 50 years old! It’ll take me more than a decade to be able to master this spell.  

She took a deep breath and said the spell again. Twice. Three times. Nothing.

She sighed. Maybe it really is a unique spell. I’m never going to find out what it is. She flipped the piece of paper over and in the corner was a word written in small but neat, black link script hand writing.

Reflection.

Ji-eun blinked, that wasn’t there before.

She stared at the word. Reflection... what is that supposed to mean? Flipping the piece of paper over again, she read the spell, going over each word. Mirror mirror nunc de manifestasti mihi. Reflection. Mirror- Mirror?

Then it hit her. “You can see your reflection in a mirror! Goodness, how did I completely miss that?”

Excited, she got off her bed and stood in front of her body length mirror, sitting on the other side of her room near her closet.

Ji-eun gazed into the mirror and her reflection stared back. She felt nervous for some reason and she couldn’t fathom why. Trying to shake the feeling away she touched the mirror with her palm and spoke the spell out loud.

"Mirror mirror nunc de manifestasti mihi!"

A tingle shot up her arm and she quickly pushed herself away.

Her mirror flashed and cleared, showing an image of wolf hunting in the forest.

Ji-eun watched fascinated. She has seen illustrations of wolves before in the books her aunt gave her to read. However, she had never seen it in motion before and it intrigued her.

The wolf was hungry and caught sight of a rabbit running by, it was about to pounce on the poor thing but then a voice called out.

"Chanyeol!" and the wolf turned. Suddenly, it transformed into a male being with clothes which miraculously appeared out of nowhere, his handsome face wore an annoyed expression.

Ji-eun pulled back in astonishment. A wolf has a different form? It can turn into a being like…me? Except it’s male…. I think.

Her aunt has told her some about genders and the differences and how to determine which gender a living thing was. Ji-eun definitely knew that she and her aunt were females but she’s never seen a male before.

"Dude, I was going to eat my lunch but it's gone now because of you," he accused.

Then another male being came into view laughing. "Sorry, couldn't help myself."

Ji-eun couldn't really see his face but then he turned, revealing a good looking face staring back at her.  Ji-eun was taken back and she wondered if he could see her but he turned away again, smiling at his friend.

"Come on, let's go back to the others. They’re waiting for you."

Ji-eun didn't get to hear Chanyeol's response because the mirror flashed back to its normal state, with Ji-eun's reflection gazing back at her. She could see that her eyes were wide with shock and confusion. What was that just now? She thought, never ending questions flooding her mind. Huh, I'll have to ask Imo about this.  

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey Imo.” Ji-eun greeted casually as she entered the living room.

“Hello dear.” Sungha replied, not looking up from her sewing. “Have you learnt three spells yet?”

Ji-eun shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. “Well…not exactly.”

Sungha glanced up, a disapproving frown on her face. “Don’t tell me you got distracted reading books that you forgot to? Ji-eun, what am I going to do with you?”

“No no, I wasn’t reading any books beside my spell book, honest!” Ji-eun exclaimed. “It’s just that I only got to one spell so far.”

Sungha’s frown slowly disappeared, “did you master it at least?”

Nodding, Ji-eun answered, “I think so.”

Her aunt smiled, “then that’s fine with me then. I did say at least one didn’t I? You don’t need to learn anymore today. Just try harder tomorrow hmm?”

“Yeah…”

Sungha continued sewing a button onto an old t-shirt. After a moment, she glanced up again at Ji-eun who was being unusually quiet and fidgety.

“Ji-eun, what is it. I know you want to say something.”  

Her niece flinched and looked at her with large brown eyes. “Uhh…Yeah, I do actually. About that spell I learnt. It showed me something in the mirror…And it was weird.”

Sungha raised her eyebrows, “you saw something strange... in the mirror.”

“I don’t know, my mirror showed me these moving images of a wolf hunting in forest and turning into a being like us a-and it was male! I saw two of them!” Ji-eun said somewhat excitedly. She failed to notice her aunt’s sudden stiff posture.

“What spell was this?” Sungha asked gravely, “show me. Where did you learn it? I am certain it did not come from the spell book I gave you.”

A little frightened by the tone her aunt was speaking in, Ji-eun quickly ran up to her room to retrieve the piece of ripped paper. “It fell out of my spell book.”

Sungha took the paper from her and scanned it, her eyes widening a few seconds later. “T-This spell. How did this paper get here? The book it came from was burnt!” She gripped the paper tightly.

“Imo, what’s wrong? Why are you looking so worried?”

Ji-eun’s aunt whipped her head over to Ji-eun’s direction, almost forgetting she was still there.

“…This spell came from a very ancient book of forbidden spells. It allows you to see in the past, present and future. It is extremely powerful and can be incredibly dangerous. Especially if placed in the wrong hands.”

Ji-eun’s heart thumped. She didn’t know how to handle the news that she had activated a forbidden spell a while before.

Sungha suddenly looked at Ji-eun with such an expression that made her anxious. Ji-eun is still young and inexperienced. She shouldn’t be able to activate a spell like this, much less within half a day. They became taboo for a reason. Not even skilled sorcerers could unlock the power of this spell. Or even so, it would take them years to master.

“Imo?”

The women took a breath and glanced away from her niece’s concerned face. “I am fine. There is nothing to worry about. Just don’t use the spell ever again. Can you do that for me?”

Ji-eun nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

“Good.” Her aunt made a move to get up and leave.

“Wait! Imo, I still have questions. Are there other beings out there like us? I told you before, what I saw in the mirror, it was real wasn’t it.” Ji-eun slowly became desperate at her aunt’s lack of response. “Imo, please tell me. I know what I saw. There are beings like me out there.”

“They are called Supernaturals.” Sungha said quietly. She knew this was going to happen sooner or later. She could not keep Ji-eun from the ugly truth of the world any longer.  

“Ji-eun. Do you remember how I told you that your parents died due to illness when you were very young? Truth is… they were killed.”

=======================================

Hey Supernaturals! Second chappie up.

Yay first appearance is chanyeol and baekhyun! Yeah its similar to the original but i changed most things... I think

THANKS SO MUCH FOR COMMENTS, VOTES AND SUBS!!! ILY <3

Anyway stay tuned for the next chappie.

<3 Author-nim~~