Chapter 19 - Masquerade Part 2

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

“Good evening girls. May I have your invitations please?” A female teacher wearing a white dress shirt tucked into a black tube skirt greeted. She had a name tag that was different to the other teachers since she was from another school.

Eunji and Ji-eun handed her their beautifully printed invitations, “Jung Eunji and Lee Ji-eun, table 17. Please come this way.”

She swivelled on her black shiny high heels and walked off, the two angels following behind her. Ji-eun glanced around, most students were already seated at their tables, all dressed up in their fancy outfits and masks, chatting away with their friends.

“Why is our table so far from the entrance?”Eunji whispered to her, lifting her hand to cup . Ji-eun nodded in agreement, the area was huge and the teacher in front of them just continued walking without stopping and it’s been about 5 minutes already. It was table 17, not table 170.

Finally they arrived at table SEVENTEEN (aju nice! A/N sorry couldn’t help myself) which turns out was near a wide stage with a large square dance floor positioned before it. Their table was small but elegant and fit for just two people.

The teacher walked off somewhere and Mrs. Kang, one of the maths teachers came up to greet them, “Ji-eun and Eunji! I am glad you both are here. This is your table, it is set near the stage so that when it is your turn to perform it won’t be such a long work and we don’t want any accidents occurring with especially so many beings here.”

She pointed towards a laminated piece of paper placed on the table. “That is the schedule for tonight. It is only given to the staff and those who are performing today. Also there may be some changes to the schedule during the night so this is not concrete but don’t worry, 10 minutes prior to your performance, either I or one of the other staff members will let you both know and lead you behind stage. Is everything understood?”

“Yes, seongsangnim”

She nodded, “good. All the best girls, I am sure both of you have beautiful voices and will represent our school well.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ji-eun felt eyes upon her back and she turned around. She inwardly gasped as her eyes locked onto a stunning figure sitting gracefully on a table with seven other dazzling figures. Definitely from another school. They all had an air of authority and danger surround them. She saw one of them take a sip from his wine glass and spotted glistening white fangs make an appearance.

They’re vampires.

Ji-eun’s eyes flickered up to meeting intense dark red eyes through a black mask, her heart thumped nervously, why is he staring at me? She looked away and turned her attention back to Eunji who was asking her something.

 

Woohyun narrowed his eyes at the strange looking angel, he had definitely caught her gaze through the mask and he could almost feel her anxiousness. It was weird. He usually didn’t pay much attention to others but this one particular being caught his eye.

“Hyung, who are you looking at?” Sungyeol asked, catching the attention of the other members. Curiously, they all followed Woohyun’s gaze. “Her aura… is faint.” He explained, he had analysed her aura, and discovered it was very faint compared to other supernaturals.

Hoya scoffed, “so? Maybe she’s just weak? No big deal.”

“No. Even weak beings don’t have a faint aura like hers.” He glanced at them, “unless she’s a hybrid…”

 “That’s impossible” Dongwoo hissed.

L crossed his arms, “she’s an angel but doesn’t have wings.” He pointed out “there’s definitely something unusual there.”

“I agree.” They all turned towards their leader. Sunggyu had his eyes closed and he breathed in slowly, his eyes burning crimson red when he reopened them, “her blood smells…extraordinary. Nothing, I’ve ever smelt before.”

Female students sitting near their table quietly gasped excitedly when they saw how mysterious and chic they all looked when-

“I need to pee.” Annndd Myungsoo is back.

Sungjong sighed and Sungyeol put his face into his hands. Dongwoo groaned, “not again. Why do you always have to ruin our image for Myungsoo?”

Myungsoo just looked at them all, blinking innocently “what? I’m a vampire, I have my needs.”

“You could’ve just got up from your seat and coolly walked to the bathroom. Is that so hard?”

Sunggyu just shook his head and waved his hand, “just go. But remember guys, keep an eye on that angel. I have a strong feeling that she may be useful to us in the future.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ji-eun and Eunji had been sitting at their table for about 20 minutes, enjoying the small appetisers given by waiters walking around occasionally and would come by to refill their drinks.

Ji-eun surveyed the area once more, everyone was so well dressed up and were all these beings, students from other schools?  

“I wonder where EXO-K is. It’s weird that I didn’t hear any fangirl squeals at least once today.” Eunji says and then paused thinking, “well not that I want to hear them anyway.”

“Wae? So that you could see your precious Baekhyun?” Ji-eun teased.

Eunji gawked at her “w-what? No! W-what are you talking about. Pfft” She sputtered and Ji-eun laughed at her.

On cue, the level of murmuring and chatter became louder and louder, alerting Eunji and Ji-eun of a commotion that was happening near the entrance. A few high-pitched squeals erupted from several tables and Eunji rolled her eyes behind her mask, “seems like they’re here.” She says and Ji-eun turned her attention towards the large double doors. Eunji was right, there stood six dashing males in stunning creamy white suits with matching silver masks.

Ji-eun felt her breath hitch and Eunji stared at them wide eyed. Yep, that’s EXO-K alright. Killing females left and right with their damn good looks.

The six figures stepped inside and teaches came to greet them, ushering them to another area separate from the ball room and she could no longer see them. Ji-eun frowned to herself when she felt disappointment seep into her bones. Why am I feeling like this? It’s not like I like anyone from EXO-K right? She shook her head and distracted herself with watching the next few performances instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay girls, it is almost time for your performance, please follow me.” One of the staff members told them as he neared Eunji’s and Ji-eun’s table.

The two nervous angels followed him backstage where other staff members were running around with microphones and instruments trying to get everything ready for the next performance.

“You ready?” Eunji whispered to Ji-eun and she let out a shaky breath that she didn’t realise she was holding. “I-I think so.”

Eunji squeezed her hand in reassurance as they both watched one of the Jazz singers currently performing on stage.

 

“Eunji and Ji-eun, you’re on! Make our school proud, good luck.” Ms Song says and prodded them gently onto the stage. Eunji began walking towards the microphone stands and Ji-eun followed behind her, looking out into the audience.

Big mistake.

She felt her legs almost turn into jelly as she saw how many beings were out there. A million things ran into her mind. What if they didn’t like her singing? What if she messed up? She remembered the EXO-K members and wondered if they’ll hear her sing. What would they do if they found out she was the witch back in the forest?

Eunji sensing something was wrong when she saw Ji-eun standing frozen, she rushed to her side.

“Ji-eun? Are you alright?” Eunji whispered, worry evident in her voice.

Ji-eun nodded stiffly but didn’t move.

“Look if you’re not feeling well, you don’t have to do this.”Eunji says and smiled at her slightly in a reassuring way.

This broke Ji-eun out of her reverie and she glanced at the audience who were starting to pay more attention to them now since they were just standing there. Ji-eun glanced to the side to see Ms. Song look at them anxiously, she focused back on Eunji and exhaled slowly, “I’m okay Eunji, sorry if I worried you.” As long as EXO-K isn’t around when I sing it should be fine. She thinks.

Eunji grinned at her, “its fine. I understand how you must feel. Just don’t focus on the audience and pretend you’re in your room singing or something.” 

Ji-eun stared at Eunji amazed, for a timid person, she sure sounded confident now and she was proud about that. They walked up to their respective places and Ms Song flipped the music crew the signal to begin the song.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D.O glanced at Kai and Baekhyun amused, “why are you two so quiet?”

Chanyeol shot them a glance and snorted, “they’re probably sulking that their angels couldn’t come.”

“Shut up.” “Am not.” They mumbled and Suho raised an eyebrow at them but didn’t question.

 They were inside one of the private rooms that their grandfather reserved for them.

“Do we have to perform soon?” Kai asked, he was pretty tired and really didn’t feel like doing anything.

“Of course, we do this every year. Grandfather expects us to do this.” Suho replied but even he didn’t really want to do it either.

Sehun stayed silent as he leaned back into the couch he was sitting on. Why do I have a bad feeling about this? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L sat down at the table alone, sipping his drink. The rest of Infinite had gone different places and being the lazy one, he just stayed back.

 

This mask feels heavy. He thought in annoyance as he pushed the mask up when it slid down his nose.

 

He felt a presence and someone sat down next to him at the table.

 

"What’s a dashing young man doing, sitting at the table alone?" A sultry velvet voice purred.

Myungsoo turned his head slightly but didn’t look at the being beside him. Suddenly a gloved hand dared to touch his face turning his sight towards them.

 

It was a werecat, she was gorgeous and had a slim body and dark red lips.

 

She smiled at him, her long eyelashes fluttering. "Someone like you deserves some attention."

 

Myungsoo didn't like people touching his face. So he grabbed her wrist and placed it down gently. What school does this cat come from? I’ll make them expel her. The female pursed her lips at his action but continued to flirt, leaning closer.

 

"What is it that you desire? I can give it to you." Her eyes narrowed sensually as she gazed at him.

 

Myungsoo's eyes flickered to her briefly, "I like chicks." He deadpanned. The cat smirked and leaned her chin on her hand.

 

"Do you like smoking hot chicks?” She asks, looking up at him through her eyelashes.

 

Myungsoo frowned, how dare she think he would ever like roast chicken!

 

"I will never as to so much think about baby chicks as food. They are my cute yellow precious babies." The werecat looked at him utterly bewildered as he stood up.

 

"Don’t even come near me again, or you’ll regret it." He said, darkly making the female shrink back in fright and he walked away.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After singing two songs, Eunji and Ji-eun ended the performance with a small curtesy and the audience clapped and even some cheered which made them quite happy. They had gotten over their nerves and made their performance enjoyable. They met up with Mrs. Kang and Ms. Song backstage who congratulated them and told them they couldn’t wait to see them perform again.

Ji-eun looked around and was relieved that EXO-K wasn’t there to see them perform. She had looked at the schedule and it turns out that EXO-K were also to perform so they must’ve been in one of the private rooms to get ready. Ji-eun was glad that her solo would be straight after their performance so they wouldn’t be present when it’s her turn to sing.

 

Someone rudely bumped into her from behind and she felt something wet slosh down onto her dress and Ji-eun heard Eunji gasp.

“Oops, sorry. I didn’t see you there.” An annoyingly familiar voice mocked and Ji-eun looked up from her wet dress to see a female wearing a tight pink dress with a purple mask holding an empty cup. A few other females dressed similarly were standing behind her.

Jiwoo? Huh. I should’ve known. She was about to say something but Eunji just clasped her arm and pulled her away from them. She continued to pull Ji-eun out of the ballroom into another empty private room where there were nice couches and other pretty assets.

“Of course, Jiwoo would pull something like that here at the masquerade.” Eunji says, even though Ji-eun couldn’t see her expression because of the mask she somehow had a feeling that Eunji was very irritated. Eunji walked up to a drawer and pressed a button situated on top of it.

“But how did she know it was us?” Ji-eun asked.

“I don’t think she knew, Miyeon and Haewon probably saw us and got jealous by the attention we got and told her to do that. Knowing Jiwoo she would gladly do it.”

Ji-eun nodded in understanding as someone knocked on the door.

Eunji opened it to reveal one of her maids, “hello Miss Eunji. You called?”

 “Yes, could you please get me a few towels and the emergency dress I brought along?”

The maid nodded her head and scurried away to return later with several white towels and a nice white dress in her hands.

Eunji took them from her, “thank you Misa.” She smiled, the maid smiled back and backed out of the room after her service was done.

“Here, go into the bathroom and change into this. It should still match your mask.” Eunji says, and ing the stuff into her hands. Ji-eun thanked her and walked into the bathroom to change. 

Just before she put on the dress, Eunji knocked on the bathroom door, her voice slightly muffled as she spoke through it. “Hey Ji-eun? I’m just going to go out into the ballroom again to check on somethings, you’ll be okay in there right?”

I wonder where she has to go? Oh well, it’s none of my business I guess, “yeah sure. Just come find me when you’re done then!” She calls back with Eunji replying with a soft ‘yep.’

 

Ji-eun looked down at herself, the white dress was possibly even prettier than the blue one she wore previously, it was sleeveless with a high neck flowy dress and complemented her figure nicely.

She placed on her mask again and walked out of the room. Everything had happened so fast that she didn’t quite know what to feel about the ‘accident.’ Ji-eun was sure a lot of people had seen what had happened and of course she was annoyed at Jiwoo and the other two angel sisters but she was so glad Eunji was there to her rescue. But then again, it’s not like a spilled drink would hurt her, so she didn’t find any reason to dwell over the matter.

Ji-eun stepped out of the private room and gently closed the door shut. She crept down the hallway as to try to find her way back into the ballroom.

She looked behind her for a familiar entrance as she continued walking and bumped into someone. Whipping around, she bowed slightly to apologize when she looked up into beautiful but cold eyes through a silver mask.

Ji-eun didn’t need to even take off his mask to know who the being was. She gulped when Sehun narrowed his eyes at her, does he recognise me? I hope he doesn’t. EXO-K aren’t supposed to know I’m here!!

“…You-“

“Ah! I’m really sorry sir! I should really watch where I’m going! Have a good day!” Ji-eun interrupted, speaking quickly and without hearing a response from him, she turned and scurried away. I hope I don’t run into any of EXO-K for the rest of the night!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Ji-eun got back to her table, she still didn’t see Eunji anywhere. I wonder where she’s gone…

“Oh look it’s EXO-K!” “They’re so handsome” “Oh my goodness someone hold me.” She heard students from all different schools including hers say to each other in excited tones. EXO-K were standing a few tables from hers, a few members were perched on empty chairs while the rest were leaning on the nearby walls watching the performances on stage.

Ji-eun saw Kai’s eyes sweep the area through his mask and she ducked her head as she was afraid he would see her. She hoped they wouldn’t stay there for long and would go back to the private rooms. Ji-eun couldn’t afford for them to hear her sing after the next few performances. She would surely be found out by then!

Just then, Ms. Kang came up to her speaking urgently “Ji-eun, it turns out a few performers have cancelled due to unknown reasons at the moment but that means plans have changed and we have moved some performances around with the schedule. You will be singing your solo next up, right after this performance finishes.”

No no no, this can’t happen. I’m not supposed to sing until the next 5 performances! And EXO-K is still out there! “I-I’m sorry?” She stutters, maybe I didn’t hear her right. Ji-eun very much hoped. 

Ms. Kang looked just as distressed. “I know this is last minute but I am sure you will do fine. Come, quickly.”

Without much choice, Ji-eun followed behind Ms. Kang with an anxious heart. What was she supposed to do now? She could only hope that EXO-K would decide to leave now or if Eunji would come back and swap in her place in singing the solo instead.

Her heart thumped even faster as she neared the back of the stage and still no sign of Eunji. She hadn’t ever sung by herself on stage before so she would surely be scared but the thought of her true self being found out overpowered that fear.

The performance had finished and Ms. Kang turned to her, “good luck Ji-eun! You have a beautiful voice.”

Ji-eun nodded at her and swallowed thickly as she waited for the performers to hurry off stage.

“Okay and you’re up.” One of the stage crew said and Ji-eun walked out onto the stage looking out into the audience.

The audience having had heard her and Eunji sing two duets from before cheered loudly as she stepped out on stage but she hardly registered it because she was focused on the 6 gorgeous beings in the audience that she was so hoping would not be present. Why is EXO-K still here??

After the cheers died down, everyone just stared at her expectantly. It’s okay Ji-eun they won’t recognise you, you’re wearing a mask remember? It’ll be okay. You just need to get out of here as soon as you finish your performance. Ji-eun just closed her eyes, clenching her fists and hoped for the best as she opened to sing.

 

Chanyeol was in the middle of drinking his glass of punch when he heard her voice. Almost spitting out his drink, he stared at the peculiar angel with the beautiful dress and mask and wonderful voice on stage. It’s her. The one I saw in the forest. Why is she here? Is she a student from one of these schools?

“Hey, this girl sings quite well. I like her voice.” Kai comments but no one answers him. Suho only nods in agreement, Baekhyun looked distracted while D.O gazed at Ji-eun in a daze. Whoa. Her voice is amazing. I wonder who she is. He took note of her dress and mask, he was going to find her before the night ends.

Sehun crossed his arms as he stared silently at Ji-eun with great intensity. A lot of things were running through his mind at that moment and for some reason he felt the need to find answers. Who are you really, Lee Ji-eun?

=======================================

Hey Supernaturals!

Its been so long!!! I hope you're all doing well! (And haven't gotten bored of my slow progression into the story yet XD) 

I am super super sorry that I’ve been neglecting this fanfic and haven’t been updating since like forever. I was so busy with university and exams and stuff, so I never really found much time to continue writing. But yeah I hope that I will be able to finish this fanfic soon, but tbh its actual still so far from the ending! But we will see how we go :D

I’ll definitely be updating again sometime within the next week though so stay tuned!

ALSO A MASSIVE THANK YOU FOR ALL MY SUBSCRIBERS, COMMENTERS AND VOTES! I LOVE YOU ALLLL. <3

 

Love, Author-nim~