Chapter 20 – Masquerade Part 3

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

Eunji got back to the table and didn’t see Ji-eun anywhere but then looked at the stage to see her singing. Eunji smiled and sat down listening to her friend sing.

Baekhyun sighed and placed his glass down on the table with a clunk. What is Eunji doing now? He ruffled his hair frustrated, why am I thinking about her? This won’t do, I’m going to go dance.

He only walked a few paces when he saw a lone angelic-looking girl sit at a table wearing a red off the shoulder dress, her face peaceful and for some reason, he felt captivated by her. Unknowingly, his feet brought him towards her table.

Eunji felt a tap on her shoulder and she turned around in her seat, she almost balked when she saw who it was. Mask or not, she recognised him right away.

Baekhyun held out his hand, “may I please have a dance with the lovely lady?” He said, smiling at her charmingly. I need to get my mind off Eunji. He thought.

Eunji observed him for a little bit and then finally nodded, slipping her hand into his, “yes.” She says softly.   

They walked onto the dance floor (which already had quite a few couples on it) with Ji-eun’s soothing voice singing in the background.

Baekhyun placed his hands on Eunji’s waist while she wrapped her arms loosely around his neck. He drew her close to him and Eunji’s face heated up at the close proximity of their faces.

Baekhyun gave a small smirk as he saw her get shy and look away. They danced slowly and Eunji felt her heart would leap out of her chest if it didn’t stop beating so fast.

“Did you have a nice evening?” Baekhyun murmured in her ear, looking down at her.

Eunji didn’t trust herself to speak so she just opted with a small nod of her head, looking down at her feet as they swayed.

“Hey,” He said gently. “Look at me.”

Eunji bit her lip and slowly brought her gaze back up to meet Baekhyun’s eyes. They stared at each other for a while, getting lost in the depths of each other’s eyes.

Suddenly, Baekhyun chuckled and stopped swaying. Eunji studied him curiously as to why he was laughing.

After his little moment, he straightened back up and started to sway again, looking at her with a sweet smile.  “You really remind me of someone.” He whispered to her.

Eunji’s eyes widened and her chest tightened. “R-really?” She replied back quietly.

Baekhyun nodded and looked away, “yeah… She’s this really pretty girl who’s extremely quiet and timid. We used to nickname her as the Introvert at our school. And she hardly ever speaks. But when she does, it’s beautiful. I always hoped that I would hear her voice back then.” He says, quite distracted that he didn’t realise Eunji had gone slack in his arms and stopped dancing a while ago.

 “I see.” He hears Eunji say almost inaudibly.

“Oh, sorry. I got a bit carried away. I’m not supposed to be talking about someone else when I’m with a wonderful young lady like yourself.” Baekhyun tells her, grinning flirtatiously. Eunji was dumbfounded at how fast he could switch emotions and slightly wondered if he was at all being sincere before.

However she was confused when he took a step back, “it was really nice meeting you but I think I’ll have to excuse myself now.” He says with a smile that looks a bit forced to her.

He turned and strolled away, “see ya.”

Eunji stared after him, Baekhyun…

------------------------------------------------------------------

When Ji-eun got off stage, she felt like throwing up. Her heart was racing and the butterflies in her stomach were going wild.

She heard someone call her name and she looked up, it was Eunji. She ran up to her, “Ji-eun! I was looking for you but I didn’t know you were singing your solo. You were great up there!”

Ji-eun gave her a weak smile, “thanks Eunji.”

Eunji’s expression immediately turned into one of concern after seeing her state, “are you alright? You’re looking very pale.”

Ji-eun shook her head but paused as he she felt her head spin from the action, “I’m not feeling too good.” She said and then tried to reassure her angel friend after seeing her panicked face, “I think I just need a little bit of rest. I’ll be fine.”

“Ok ok, I’ll take you one of the private rooms. So you can lie down” Eunji replied, ready to haul Ji-eun down to the room so she could rest.

However, they took no more than a few steps and Ms. Kang had already intercepted, “Eunji? Oh yes, it is you. Where have you been? I was looking for you everywhere. Since the schedule has changed, you’re due to perform next! Please come with me.” She said with haste that she didn’t notice Ji-eun’s condition and walked off. 

“E-eh?” Eunji stammered and looked back and forth between Ji-eun and the maths teacher moving further away from them.

Ji-eun gently shrugged her arm out of Eunji’s tight grip, “it’s okay Eunji, I can get there myself. You should go perform.”

Eunji seemed conflicted, “b-but-“

“I’ll be alright.” Ji-eun said.

Eunji stared at Ji-eun for a moment before nodding, “fine. I’ll come find you after. Take care okay? Don’t do anything reckless!” She advised before following Ms. Kang.

If Ji-eun didn’t feel so sick, she would’ve laughed at how motherly Eunji sounded. 

Now, where are the private rooms again? She thought, staggering off slowly towards an empty hallway.

A few minutes had past and Ji-eun couldn’t really find a suitable room so she opt to just take a seat on a nearby red couch with golden arm rests along the wall of the enormous hallway.

“Ah. This is nice.” Ji-eun muttered, relaxing into the soft cushioning of the couch. She stayed there with her eyes close for a moment, trying to calm her breathing and racing heartbeat. It appears that the butterflies have settled down now and she felt slightly better.

She reached up and was about to take off her mask that felt like it was weighing for face down, when a sound alerted her. Ji-eun opened her eyes and looked around. No one was in the hallways.

She strained her ears to follow to the sound. It was actually a voice. A very soft male voice. Feeling a little more recovered, Ji-eun decided to leave her mask on and stood up from the couch, starting towards the direction of the voice. 

She reached an open glass door nearby which lead to a gigantic garden. She walked down a footpath, admiring the nature of her surroundings. The more she walked, the more she could hear the voice until she stood a few metres behind a male with his back to her sitting on a white bench facing a small pretty pond with a water fountain in the middle.

He was singing. It was very soft but Ji-eun was drawn to the voice. To her, it was very dreamy and she felt at ease just by listening to it.

 All too soon, the melody ended and Ji-eun was left feeling a little sad, as she wanted to hear him sing some more. She didn’t realise that the male had actually stood up and was making his way towards her.

Frantically, she turned away and tried to seem like she was just walking by when she felt a hand softly grab her wrist, stopping her from leaving.

“Wait.” The male’s voice spoke, soft and smooth.

Ji-eun’s eyebrows lifted, his voice sounded very familiar and she turned around, locking eyes with warm dark brown ones through a silver mask.

Her heart beat sped up again and she felt the butterflies make a reappearance, D.O…?

D.O on the other hand, was mesmerised by her pretty eyes looking back at him through her own mask. He knew she was that mysterious singer he was drawn to, the moment she stepped into the garden.

“You were the one singing on stage before.” He said, even though he had already known.

Ji-eun blinked, “y-yes.” She responded then panic stricken, what if he was the werewolf that discovered her that day in the forest? Was he going to kill her??

“Could I…hear you sing again?” D.O asked slowly.

Ji-eun tilted her head, so he isn’t the werewolf from that day. “You… want to hear me sing? But why?”

 D.O glanced away, letting out a small breath “your voice is beautiful and unique. It’s nothing I had ever heard of before. I was very impressed.”

Ji-eun felt her heart swell, and warmth rushed to her cheeks. This was the first time anyone had ever complimented her like this and she didn’t quite know how to react.

“T-thank you. D.O-ssi.” 

D.O looked at her, “how did you know who I was?” He asked, not hiding his surprise. Is she a student from our school?

Realising her mistake she racked her brain for an answer, “err of course I know who you are, you’re a member from EXO-K. Everyone knows about you guys.” Ji-eun states, hoping her voice didn’t sound too nervous.

D.O seemed pretty convinced though, “oh. Right. That’s why.”

Ji-eun glanced at him, he looked very handsome with his suit and mask. “I l-like your voice too.” She dared to say, she felt his gaze on her and felt the need to explain further. “It’s very soothing and strong. Makes me want to fall asleep.”

“Wow, my voice must be so boring.” He says and Ji-eun waved her hands frantically, “that’s not what I meant!” She exclaims but when she saw him chuckle, Ji-eun knew he was just teasing her.

“Hey…” She protested weakly.

D.O gave her an amused smile, “sorry. Your reaction was just too funny.” And cute…

 “D.O!” They heard a voice call, they both recognised it was Chanyeol by his deep voice. It appears he was coming closer.

D.O was about to turn around but didn’t expect that Ji-eun would swivel and sprint away. Oh no, he scared her off…

He was about to run after her when Chanyeol emerged from behind a few rose bushes.

“It’s time to get ready now.” Chanyeol said then walked off without waiting for him. D.O just stared in the direction his mysterious masked singer had run off to. I didn’t even get to ask for her name…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ji-eun glanced behind her as she hurried back down the hallway, it was already bad enough that D.O saw her, she definitely wouldn’t be able to get away if any of the other members discovered her there.

She continued down the large foyer and abruptly turned a corner when a hand grabbed onto her wrist and yanked her back with great force. Out of instinct, Ji-eun turned and swung her fist at the person behind her.

The grip on her wrist was released immediately and the person jumped a few feet back from her.

“Whoa, slow down there Princess.”  A deep amused sounding voice said. Ji-eun straightened up and studied the man before her. He was tall with dark red hair wearing a navy blue suit and white mask. He was very handsome even with the mask on.   

She narrowed her eyes at the nickname, “can I help you?” Ji-eun asked gravely, her guard still up. For some reason, she felt different around this guy. It was like he was someone that Ji-eun wouldn’t want to cross paths with but a part of her felt like she knew him from somewhere as well. It was confusing.

The guy put his hands up in mock surrender, “hey, no need to be so serious. I was just going to return something you dropped that’s all.”

He held out his hand with something hanging from it. It was her key pouch, the one that Eunji’s grandfather gave her.

Ji-eun’s eyes widened, “oh!” She hadn’t realised she dropped it.

She reached out to take it but the guy pulled his hand back before she could.

“It seems this is a very important item to you hm?” He said, observing Ji-eun’s expression carefully, with a small smirk on his face.

Ji-eun bit her lip, “yes. Now can I please have it back? I am very grateful that you picked it up and decided to return it to me.”

The red haired guy let out a small chuckle, “right.” He gave her the pouch this time, “here you go. Don’t lose it next time.” He bowed his head slightly and walked past her, “you’ll need it. See ya Princess”

 “Thank you!” Ji-eun called after him and then looked back down at the pouch, what does he mean I’ll need it? Does he know something too?

 

Ji-eun entered the bathroom which by the way was also huge and glamorous like all the other TEN BILLION ROOMS IN THIS BIG PLACE.

She decided to take her mask off as she had worn it the whole time and it was weighing down her face. The cool air fanned across her fair skin when she untied the pretty mask and slid it off the top of her face.

Ji-eun placed it next to one of the sinks and entered a cubicle.

Unbeknownst to her, Haewon sneaked out from behind another cubicle door. She had actually seen the interaction between the Ji-eun and D.O in the garden and it didn’t sit well with her.

Haewon didn’t get to hear their conversation but seeing them together raised bubbling jealousy within her. She didn’t know who the masked singer was but after witnessing Ji-eun take off the mask, Haewon saw her chance and a wicked smile crossed her face.

So the angel loser is the masked singer hm? This is perfect. She thought and quiet crept over to the sink where the mask was placed. It’s a good thing, I wore a white dress today.

Haewon heard the toilet flush and quickly replaced the mask she was wearing with Ji-eun’s and hurried out of the bathroom.

Ji-eun came out to wash her hands. She had heard someone rush out judging by their footsteps and wondered why but shrugged anyway.

She turned to look for her mask and found it was a different mask instead. It was a purple mask. Much like the ones Jiwoo, Miyeon and Haewon were wearing.

Her mask was nowhere to be found. Hmm… The person who hurried out must’ve been one of them. But why would they take my mask?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol headed back into the ballroom and walked across the dancefloor so he could get to one of the private rooms to get changed for EXO-K’s performance.

How troublesome. He thought as the walk was a long one and the fact that he lost to his brothers in a game of rock, paper, scissors in order to call D.O back.

He saw a flash of white, pass him and his gaze followed it. It was the witch hybrid from the forest! Forgetting about going back to the private rooms, he began to follow her. He had to know who she was and what she was doing here.

She was headed towards a hallway where it was secluded, Chanyeol frowned. She seems to be up to no good, what if she starts chanting spells and puts the school in danger?

He quickly caught up to her and grabbed her arm, making her gasp. Without caring about how disrespectful he was being, he reached up for her mask and ripped it off.

“…Haewon?” Chanyeol mumbled confused when he saw who it was.

Haewon smiled at him, “is there something you need?” She asked, her tone light.

Chanyeol scrutinised her, is she the hybrid? No, even though their dresses look similar that masked singer was not wearing this dress. But they do have the same mask…

“Chanyeol?”

D.O came closer, “what are you doing? We are meant to head to the private rooms now-“

He halted before them when he saw Haewon. Slowly he glanced down at the mask in Chanyeol’s hand and put two and two together.

D.O’s eyes widened. “H-Haewon?” She’s my mysterious masked singer?

-------------------------------------------------------

Ji-eun headed back to the ball room area to meet her friend but Eunji was nowhere to be seen.

Not again. She groaned silently.

They had two more duets to perform soon and Eunji had disappeared. Oh well, I’ll just wait for her here then. She thought, putting her elbow onto her table and placing her face into her palm.

At that moment, a man who looked like he was in his early 60s stepped out onto the stage after the previous performers cleared off. His vibe showed strength and authority.

"Good evening, ladies, gentlemen and staff. My name is Kim Ryeowook."

Gasps and murmurs filled the large area. "Kim Ryeowook??" "Isn't the headmaster of Mystical High?" "None of the students have ever seen him before!"

Ryeowook held up a hand and silence almost instantly ensued. “Yes. I am the headmaster of Mystical High and also a member of the Silver Rose. First of all I would like to thank everyone for coming to this splendid event. Many thanks to teachers, staff, students, parents and especially to the members of the Silver Rose for allowing such a great masquerade to occur.” He took a deep breath, “as you all may know, there is much to look forward to in the future.” He turned towards the side of the stage, “please welcome Lee Donghae, Kim Yesung, Kwon Yuri and Choi Sooyoung, current members of the Silver Rose!”

Applauds broke out from the audience as the members all dressed elegantly went to sit on their designated seats on stage.

As the claps died down, Ryeowook continued. “This year, there are two very special beings here with us today as well. Please give a warm welcome, Seo Hyuna and Kyung Hyungmin to the stage!”

Another round of applause followed as a tall man and women headed out on stage. “These two will be new members of the Silver Rose. Together we hope to give a better view of today’s society. We will work hard to overcome difficulties and challenges that threaten humanity. As a small celebration and to welcome the two new members, we will have my six gransons, many of you will know as members of EXO-K perform on stage next.”

“EXO-K is the headmasters grandsons?” “Oh my, I love them even more now.” “Yes! Can’t wait for them to perform.” Squeals of delight erupted from the females in the audience.

Ji-eun’s head spun at the information. Wow, now that’s unexpected…. But then again maybe expected seeing as how powerful and popular they are.

 

Suho rubbed his forehead as EXO-K were walking towards backstage all dressed up in their stage costumes. “I guess secrets out huh.”

Kai crossed his arms, “well it was gonna come out sooner or later.”

“Guys, we should hurry. They’re already clearing the stage so we’re expected to be on there now.” D.O reprimanded.

“We know, we know.” Kai said as they quickly sped up towards back stage.

However before they even got there, a familiar song had already began playing. Growl.

“Hey, that’s our song playing. But we aren’t even on stage yet!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“Wow is that EXO-K?” “Oh my goodness they’re even hotter in black clothes and masks.” “Hmm but I can’t seem to recognise who is who…”

What?” EXO-K stopped in their tracks, they looked on the stage to see six beings on there dressed in all black and in their dance position.

“Who are they?!” Chanyeol hissed. Is another group trying to impersonate us?

They all watched as the imposters danced to the song Growl, in full synchronisation and strong choreography.

The audience didn’t seem to suspect a thing and continued to cheer loudly.

Sehun was frozen, he stared intently at the six beings, his mind blank. The other members were confused and pissed while Chanyeol was fuming.

Ji-eun stared at the beings on stage, for some reason… She knew that they were not EXO-K at all and she grew worried.

Finally the performance came to an end and the guys in black finished off with the last move. The audience screamed and cheered even louder than before. One of the guys smirked and flicked his wrist, opening up his palm.

Suddenly the atmosphere in the ballroom dropped extremely low in temperature and everyone shivered, looking puzzled and distorted. Loud claps of thunder rattled the area frightening students and staff.

One of the tall guys of the group began to laugh evilly and flew upwards, “it’s time for the demons to come forth!” He boomed and another guy slammed his hands into the ground causing the earth to rumble.

It was really happening. The demons were here.

 

==============================================

Heya Supernaturals

How yall doing? Seems like things have REALLY GOTTEN CHAOTIC HM?

Thank you so much for subs and comments!!!

Hope you enjoyed this chappie. And stay tuned for the next!

Characters will be revealed in the next chapter! (If you haven’t already guessed who they were already ;))

 

Love, Author-nim. ~

PS: Sorry I haven't gotten to be able to reply to comments but hopefully I can get them eventually!!