Chapter 23

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

“Baekhyun’s avoiding me.”

“What? Why?”

Eunji sighed, “at the masquerade, when you were singing your solo performance, Baekhyun saw me sitting alone and asked me to dance but he didn’t know it was me. We talked about some things but after my solo performance, Baekhyun recognised my voice and he confronted me backstage asking why I told him that I wasn’t coming to the masquerade and I had lied to him.”

Ji-eun placed her arm around her shoulder as she put her head into her hands, “I don’t know what to do, he kind of laughed it off but he looked sort of hurt. And now he's like ignoring me.

“He’ll come around eventually, I’m sure.” Ji-eun comforts her, she somewhat had a feeling that Baekhyun wouldn’t just leave it to end like at that and she really trusted her instincts.

Eunji looked at her, “really?” Then she glances down a little less sad, “I hope so.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So we didn’t end up finding the book of prophets at Bavyilon.” Sunggyu regretfully reported to Lord Donghae. They were back home after the masquerade and they weren’t able to find anything about the book. The rest of the infinite members had their heads down in humiliation.

They thought they would be getting a scolding but to their surprise, their grandfather chuckled lightly, “that is okay. I didn’t quite expect you to find it that easily.”

Dongwoo cocked his head in confusion, “why is that, my lord?”

Donghae clasped his fingers together and leaned forward in his chair, “well it turns out that the book of prophets may be relocated, Ryeowook must’ve worked out that the demons would be after it and hid it well.”

“My lord, aren’t you and headmaster Ryeowook, old friends? Could we ask him where he hid it?” Sungyeol asked, innocently.

Donghae shook his head, “it is not that simple, my dear boy. I am no longer part of the Silver Rose. That is in my past now. In all honesty, Ryeowook and I haven’t been in contact for the past 20 years.”

“Then why do you want the book?” Sungjong asked, bluntly. Sunggyu scowled at him for being so direct. Hoya just snorted at their youngest.  

Donghae gave a small smile, “it’s not a matter of wanting the book or not Sungjong-ah. It’s about trying prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.”

Woohyun crossed his arms, “the demons?” He questions even though they all knew the answer.

“Yes, the book of prophets holds the truth and future of Glaze. For the demons to get their tentacles on it, the world will come to an end.” Donghae placed a hand on his chin. “However, just finding the book is not enough to protect its information. There is also a key. I have recently heard from my secretary that the Silver Rose do not have any knowledge of where it could be. Perhaps… it may be better this way. If the book does somehow fall into the dark side, hopefully they will not be able to find the key to open it. Although, we must do our best to stop any of this from happening.” Donghae surveyed their face, “do you all understand what your duty is?”

The infinite members nodded and bowed, “yes my lord.” They chorused.

“Good.”

L stared intensely at his grandfather. “So… does that mean I don’t get a duck?”

Cue. All the members rolled their eyes at Myungsoo.

Donghae laughed and reassured him that he would get a pet duck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

It was time for music class and it was the day that Ji-eun and her group would perform their music piece they created together. They were all in theatre room three, the same one they rehearsed in before.

“Alright everyone, you have ten minutes to fine tune anything and one last rehearsal before your performances. So make the most of it.” Ms. Song says and immediately everyone got up to find their group mates.

Ji-eun and Eunji went over to the corner where Chanyeol and Baekhyun were sitting and began their rehearsal.

“So Ji-eun, your guitar solo, I tried to somehow fit it somewhere in between the lyrics but I wasn’t sure where the break was, could you do something about that?” Baekhyun asks her as he passes the music sheets with the lyrics over to her.

Ji-eun nods and fixes it up, but boy did she notice how awkward it was because Eunji was right, Baekhyun really wasn’t talking to her at all unless it was really needed and since Baekhyun was usually the only talkable one (who isn’t talkable now), there was just an awkward silence filling the space. Occasionally Ji-eun would throw in a small suggestion and Chanyeol would comment here and there but Baekhyun and Eunji would just nod and do their own stuff, not really say anything to each other.

Ji-eun felt a little bit disheartened for Eunji but Chanyeol was getting really irritated. “Can you two just stop it already? Whatever happened between you both, forget it. Kiss, make up, fight or whatever. Just don’t let this affect our friggin music performance okay?”

Baekhyun scoffed and Eunji blushed at the ‘kiss’ comment but hesitantly began to start talking a little more to each other as it really was getting a bit tiring with all the avoiding (from Baekhyun’s side anyway. Eunji was just happy he was willing to talk to her again).

Ji-eun glanced at Chanyeol who just sighed exasperatedly and rubbed his neck. Wow, unexpectedly that worked. She giggled silently.

Ms Song clapped her hands, “okay times up. Gather up front. It’s time for performances.”

 

Most of the performances were good. Really good. And Ji-eun found herself loving each performance as they each had its own concept and genre which she enjoyed a lot.

Finally it was their turn and most of the female students began to cheer for Chanyeol and Baekhyun as they went up on stage. Some were glaring at Eunji and Ji-eun though. One in particular was getting quite agitated. Whoa, that girl needs to calm down, it’s not like we’re doing anything to Chanyeol or Baekhyun. Ji-eun thought as she caught eyes with the seething female Vetela (snake-like supernatural).

“Ready?” Ms Song asked.

They all nodded.

Chanyeol counted down in his head and then started playing the piano. A few seconds later Ji-eun joined in with her guitar. Baekhyun began to sing first.

I want to know who you really are:

Verse-

Baekhyun: Walking around,

Baekhyun: Smiling at everyone like its normal.(Eunji in second chorus: Don’t hide~)

Eunji: In the darkness of the night,

Baekhyun: you reveal your true self. (Eunji in second chorus: Oh the truth cannot be hidden forever~)

Baekhyun: In the end, the truth be unveiled.

Chorus: Baekhyun and Eunji

There is something about you,

It’s haunting me.

I know you put on a facade,

Why are you hiding?

Tell me, because I want to know the real you.

-Repeat verse

Bridge: Eunji sings

You are always telling lies, like your life depends on it. Oh Whoa~

-Repeat chorus

-Guitar solo

 

Ji-eun strummed the guitar in time with the melody when out of the blue, she felt one of the strings vibrate a bit harder than usual. A brittle sound followed in warning before the string snapped, the wire flinging upwards at great speed, scratching her hand and she yelped. “Ah!”

Eunji stopped singing and looked at her worriedly. Baekhyun pressed his lips in a straight line and glanced at the teacher. Chanyeol's fingers paused on the piano keys as he cast a look towards her direction, frowning.

The whole class watched her. The Vetela from before smirked, eyes glinting.

Ji-eun stared at her bleeding hand, it wasn't a big cut but it stung.

"Ji-eun, are you alright?" Ms Song asked, getting up to examine her hand.

Suddenly a mixture of wood and rain scent filled the air, causing Chanyeol and Baekhyun to become alert but it was gone just had quick as it had come.

Baekhyun catches Chanyeol’s gaze and raises his eyebrows and then looks a bit bothered when Chanyeol scowls.

Ji-eun, not knowing that her witch scent had seeped out when her finger was cut before the bracelet was able to conceal it again, just continued reassuring the music teacher that she was fine and just needed a band aid.

Ms Song nodded, "here’s a tissue to keep it from bleeding, you should go to the infirmary to get a band aid and come back here when you're done."

Ji-eun nodded and was about to leave when Chanyeol grabbed a hold of her arm.

"I'll take her to the infirmary." He says.

A chorus of grasps sounded throughout the class and female students stared enviously at them.

Ji-eun stares at him, perplexed.

Ms Song frowns at him, "I think she is fine to go by herself though isn’t she? Is that right Ji-eun?"

Ji-eun nods but Chanyeol’s grip tightened on her arm, "she doesn't know the way there."

Ji-eun raises an eyebrow at him, "yes I do?” She says to him quietly so only he could hear. I think...? "You took me there remember?"

Chanyeol turns his head to her slightly and hissed, "you’ve forgotten your way there, trust me." Um what? He can't just make that call! And why is he being so persistent.

Whispers rose amongst the students, this was the first time Chanyeol had ever volunteered to go take someone to the infirmary. It was quite a rare site to see. All the females were super jealous at the moment.

"Hey, if I fainted right now, do you think Chanyeol would take me to the infirmary?" Chanyeol heard a pixie whisper and he mentally rolled his eyes.

Ms Song tilts her head, looking a little puzzled. "Hm, okay if that’s the case..."

Ji-eun’s eyes widened, "wa-"

Chanyeol cut her off, "great. Let’s go" He says gruffly, and drags her out of the classroom by the arm.

Ji-eun looked back at Eunji and Baekhyun in bafflement.

Eunji looked back seemingly troubled while Baekhyun just smiled at her amused, but for some reason his gaze seemed to be a bit sharper this time when he looked at her. Like he was trying to figure her out. Something’s different…

 

“H-hey, wait. Stop.” Ji-eun attempted to yank her arm out from Chanyeol’s hand but he was too strong. This feels like déjà vu.

She grounds her feet to try and stop him and he halts, turning around. He seemed to realise what he was doing and lets go of her arm.

Ji-eun takes her arm back and rubs it. “Geez, I appreciate the fact that you want to company me to the infirmary so badly but did you really have to drag me by the arm though?” She mutters.

Chanyeol stares at her, eyebrows furrowed.

“Hey, are you okay?” Ji-eun asks. “Do I have something on my face?” She begins to rub her face but Chanyeol grabs her hand before it touches her cheek, “don’t do that.” He says and she blinks up at him.

“You’ll get blood on your face.”

Ji-eun looks down at her bleeding hand within his grasp, right yeah.

Chanyeol tightens his grip for a second and then releases her hand. “Let’s get you a band aid.”

Why can’t I smell it anymore? Was I wrong?

Ji-eun bits her lip to keep herself from blushing, it was really silly to think about but when he grabbed her hand she could help but think how large his hand was compared to hers and how warm they felt.

Seeing her expression, Chanyeol unexpectedly felt playful, momentarily forgetting about his previous thoughts, he leaned closer to her. “What? Thinking about me?” He whispers, huskily.

Ji-eun scrunches up her nose at him trying not to give away the fact that her heart was about leap out of her chest, “yeah. Thinking whether you’ve got mood swings.”

Chanyeol squinted at her but she saw a hint of amusement within his eyes. “So you were thinking about me.”

Feeling her face heat up, Ji-eun side stepped him and headed off towards the direction of the infirmary, “I wasn't.” She droned and Chanyeol just chuckled a bit before he following her.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, Ji-eun’s group received an A plus even though they didn’t get to finish it and that accident happened. Turns out that Eunji and Baekhyun had seen the Vetela student mess around with the guitar before Ji-eun used it and this was reported to Ms Song. The student was to go to the office and await the consequences.

Ji-eun was really grateful to them both and she was glad to see that they had made up. However, all happy moments never last long. The next class she had was Specialist class and that did not go well at all.

Feeling tired, Ji-eun clutched her neatly wrapped sandwich to her chest as she began up the stairs to the rooftop.

She was really anxious because she was actually a little late since she was held back in her specialist class along with Eunji because the EA duo got them in trouble with Mrs Choi who gave them an earful.

So after that Ji-eun grabbed her lunch and ran straight to the stairs hoping that Sehun wouldn't kill her.

"You're late."

Ji-eun jumped and her head snapped towards the direction of the voice.

Sehun was standing on the edge of the roof, the wind blowing softly against his hair making him almost appear divine to her if he was glaring daggers at her at that moment.

"Er, I can explain-"

Sehun leapt off the edge and stepped closer.

"I didn't tell you to come here with excuses." He says coldly and Ji-eun frowns a little. He was being really cold.

She fidgeted a little bit under Sehun's stare.

Looking hesitantly at her sandwich, she lifted it up carefully in front of her as she offered her sandwich to him.

"Um..." She says quietly, looking at the sandwich. "Y-you can have my sandwich. So... Can you forgive me?" Ji-eun mumbles and lifts her large round eyes to meet Sehun’s dark icy ones.

Sehun gaze did not waver,but the way she was holding the sandwich and being all hesitant...was really cute. He'd never admit that of course. Ever. No.

Anyway, after a moment, Sehun exhaled and crossed his arms, "I don’t want your sandwich." He says.

Ji-eun grimaced, I knew that wouldn’t work! But it was my only option.

"But" Sehun continued, "I will consider forgiving you if you answer my questions."

Uh oh. Ji-eun was never good at answering others’ questions.

Without waiting for her response, Sehun spoke "why did you lie to my brothers? You told Kai you weren't going to the Masquerade but you were there."

And you weren’t meant to know... Ji-eun thought, wincing a little. An action that did not come unnoticed by Sehun. "I...just had a change of heart and decided to go."

Sehun regarded at her sceptically, "really. Then explain why you were already shopping for your outfits the day before you told Kai that you weren't going?"

He was there?!?!?! AND WHAT IS THIS, AN INTERROGATION? To be honest, she wouldn’t ever think that Sehun would be the one to be upon her like this. I mean, he doesn’t look like he gives a crap about anything right??

Ji-eun knew that if she tried to divert his attention or avoid answering he would become more suspicious. So she continued to make excuses. "Y-yeah, I mean I planned to go then I decided not to go, then in the end, I went anyway.” She says. (A/N LOL she’s really bad at making excuses. Anyway sorry, I wasn’t here.)

Sehun just gave her an expressionless face but didn’t continue to question. “You told my hyungs that you couldn’t sing but you sang at the Masquerade.” And he wasn’t going to mention that she had a damn good voice (A/N his words, not mine XD).  

Ji-eun scratched her head, “ah well. I actually had stage fright in the beginning and to be honest that was actually my first time performing in front of a large crowd.”

Sehun narrowed his eyes, she sort of did sound a bit convincing there. “And the knife and fork that time at lunch?”

Shiz, I forgot I pranked him with a spell.

“It was a simple trick. Doesn’t even involve magic. And it won’t be a trick anymore if I tell you how to do it.” Because I honestly can’t so please stop asking me.

Sehun raised an eyebrow. He did not believe in her words at all. Not one bit. But, seeing as he wasn’t getting anywhere with questions and threatening her would be useless for what they were going to do next so he just left it at that. For now.  

“Alright.”

Sehun turned and walked over to the edge of the roof.

“Hm? Where are you going?”

“Nowhere.” He says and sits down cross legged.

Out of nowhere, a gust of wind blew passed her body so hard, it actually lifted her up a little bit off the ground and carried her towards his seated form.

Ji-eun yelped and clutched her sandwich as she was let down gently in front of him.

“Sit down.” Sehun instructs.

“What for?” She wonders.

Sehun looks at her annoyance flashing in his eyes, “inner energy training remember?”

Oh righhhht. Yeah, forgot about that too.

Ji-eun lowered herself to the ground and imitated his sitting position.

Then Sehun began to explain to her about inner energy.

The whole time Ji-eun was listening and don't get her wrong, she found it very fascinating but a random thought kept popping up in her mind– Sehun talks a lot.

This is the longest I’ve heard him speak.

"...So inner energy is sort of like your spiritual force that must to be kept in balance with your outer energy which is your usual energy that is consumed when you use your powers and abilities. Inner energy can also be utilised to fuel powers but this is highly unstable and will knock off the balance between the two energies which can be very dangerous for the user and anyone or anything surrounding them. But you can prevent this from happening if you know how to control your inner energy well. Inner energy can also be very useful in maintaining and controlling your power usage so that you don't use up so much outer energy. Also, it can tell you when you're at your limit or how strong your power is and all that."

Ji-eun nods, "I see."

Sehun glanced at her, "so what exactly are you having trouble with? Are you able to get in touch with your inner energy?"

Ji-eun thought back to the many times she tried in mystical training class and failing miserably so she shook her head.

Sehun rubbed his forehead, "alright. I will show you how to get in touch with your inner energy first and we'll take it from there."

Sehun straightened his posture and closes his eyes. He almost looked like he was meditating. After a few moments, his figure began to glow a soft yellow hue.

Ji-eun watched him in amazement, as the colour grew brighter. Then he opened his eyes which shone a bright yellow before all the colour disappeared altogether.

Wow. That was cool. Ji-eun thought.

"Okay, you're turn."

Ji-eun nodded and took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She focused on her breathing and tried to get in touch with her inner energy but... how do you do it again?

After a few moments Ji-eun sighed and opened her eyes, meeting Sehun's gaze.

"...Hm." He utters. "Close your eyes again and try to clear your mind, think of nothing, you should be able to enter the zone."

"How do I know whether I've entered or not?"

Sehun stays silent for a moment and Ji-eun wonders if she’s said something wrong when he speaks again, “you'll definitely feel different, maybe lighter and almost like you're asleep but your mind is conscious."

“Okay…” Ji-eun closes her eyes again but she couldn’t feel anything. Was she even entering the zone?

She heard Sehun release a quiet sigh and then suddenly, he was close. Real close.

“Keep your eyes closed.” Sehun mutters and she tenses a little as she felt his breath brush her face. Her eyelids fluttered as her heart began to pound really hard and she felt Sehun slide his hands underneath hers, holding them loosely.

Ji-eun couldn’t help but focus on his knees that were touching hers a little too intimately, it was uncomfortable.

Until, she felt it. Like cool air flowing soothingly through her veins, Ji-eun felt her whole body relax and the feeling of wind caressed her face and hair, it was calming. Now she knew, it was Sehun’s doing.

It wasn’t long before she sensed her body get lighter and without knowing she fell into a deep sleep.

Except, she wasn’t asleep.

Ji-eun was standing, looking around at a white background surrounding her. She saw little swirls of golden light twirl around her and disappear in thin air and repeating. It was mesmerising.

She glanced around a bit more and saw in one area, a dark blue light swirling around but it wasn’t as vibrant and there weren’t as many as the golden ones. As a matter of fact, the light appeared to only be moving in one spot and not weaving around as freely like the others before vanishing.

Almost like it was restricted to that one space.  

Ji-eun opened her eyes, in a daze. She blinked several times before focusing on the figure in front of her. Sehun was still sitting close but he seemed to have shifted a little further away from her this time and he had a strange look on his usually expressionless face. She didn't even realise when he had let go of her hands.

“…What did you see?” He asks her, looking mildly intrigued.

“Um…” How was she supposed to describe what she just saw? “Golden light?”

Sehun seemed to be waiting for an elaboration but that was pretty much it. “Okay, that golden light you just saw was your power. The colour represents what type of supernatural you are. Since, I’m a werewolf, I see yellow light.”

Ji-eun bobs her head in understanding. “Then that means that blue light I saw-“ She abruptly cuts herself off.

Sehun looks at her, “…blue light?”

The bell rings.

“I-I mean, I think it was blue but maybe it was green or like just a really weird almost blue but it was probably golden anyway but yeah, lunch is over. I should go to class. Thank you for the lesson!”

Sehun watches her rush off, after the last words left in a jumble with a bemused expression. Most definitely is hiding something.

He recalled back to when she entered the zone but instead of glowing a bright golden like he was expecting her to, it was actually very faint. At first, he thought it was possibly because she was already unusual in the fact that she was an angel with not wings. But when she opened her eyes, the colour briefly flashing in her eyes before disappearing, that was when his suspicions were confirmed.   

Her eyes had flashed hazel-green.  

=========================================================

Hey SUPERNATURALS!!!

I was actually supposed to post this yesterday for Halloween but I didn’t end up having enough time to type it all up so here it is. HAPPY BELATED HALLOWEEEN! I know its not like a Halloween special or anything but hopefully its still just as good.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMMENTS, VOTES AND SUBS!!!!!! I am seriously so happy with the support I’m receiving from yall.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! D.O and Kai to have more interactions with her soon and the others will also get their chance to shine ;)

Replies to previous chapter’s (22) comments:

cathye : AWWW THANK YOUUU, THEN I ALSO HOPE YOU LIKE THIS ONE AS WELL AND THE NEXT AND THE NEXT AND ALL THE OTHER ONES AFTER THAT. <3

inspirit0712 : HI new reader! WELCOME TO THE SUPERNATURAL FAM. Glad to hear you’re loving this story! J And dw, even I’m having trouble shipping her with someone. (But shhh, you aren’t supposed to know that ;))

Owlrose : heyyy! Thank you so much for your support from the beginning of my old story until now. I really really appreciate it so much. Hope you enjoyed this chappie then! :D

 

Anyway that's it for now folks! Stay tuned for the next update! (will probably be updating next week or so since I'm almost finishing my uni stuff.) XD 

 

Love, Author-nim