Chapter 24

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

Humming, Ji-eun strolled down the hallway towards her dorm. She had just finished Latin class and it was now recess. Students were beginning to file out of their classes and even though a few supernaturals would sneer at her or scoff whenever she walked by, they mostly just ignored her as they lost interest in talking about the ‘abnormal angel’ by now which made her very glad.

Near the end of the hallway, she spotted Eunji walking with her head down. A habit that Ji-eun has noticed her timid friend always did whenever she was in the presence of others whom she was not comfortable with.

She was about to call out to her but she faltered. There were two female beings standing on the side watching Eunji walk by. Ji-eun narrowed her eyes, is that Miyeon and Haewon?

The EA duo were talking and laughing with each other loudly as Eunji walked towards their direction. When she was about to walk past them, Haewon stuck her foot out intending to trip the poor girl. However, the silent angel had already seen it coming and avoided her outstretched leg and continued to pass them but at a quick pace.

Ji-eun cheered internally, good job EUNJI!

Miyeon didn’t seem to like that and decided to switch tactics and kicked Eunji’s leg from behind making her drop down on all fours.

The EA duo began to laugh hysterically at Eunji’s fallen form.

Ji-eun fumed, what absolute despicable angels! How could they. Ji-eun began to run over to Eunji and help her but the said angel had already picked herself up and scurried away in the opposite direction.

Ji-eun was about to follow her when she looked back at the snickering wicked sisters. She quickly hid behind the nearest corner, looking at their shoelaces, she whispered. “Connecto.”

Immediately the two pairs of shoelaces had tied themselves together into a tight knot. This will give them a taste of their own medicine.

She then walks off towards the direction Eunji ran to, smirking when she heard a loud shriek and a crash sounding from behind her.

When she turns the corner she stops and steps back as she saw Baekhyun talking animatedly to Eunji who was listening with a small smile on her face.

Ji-eun breathes out relieved. She’s fine. She always knew Eunji was a strong person.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ji-eun sat down at an empty table holding her history book. She finished with her classes and was having free study while Eunji still had her other classes until dinner time. She was just resting outside sitting down at one of the lunch tables under the veranda.

“Hey! Fancy seeing you here.” Ji-eun hears a female voice say before a body plops themselves into the chair opposite her.

Ji-eun smiles at the familiar face, “hi Dahee. Long-time no see.”

“I know right? I feel like it’s been ages since I last talked to you, even though we go to the same school. I mean we see each other in Mystical Training but I never got the chance to say anything to you because we we’re hardly put in the same group now with all the individual training and everything.” Dahee exclaims, seeming genuinely frustrated that they hadn’t gotten to catch up until now.

Ji-eun nods, “yeah I agree. But it’s great to see you now.”

Dahee grins, “Definitely! I was like wondering when you’d come by the taekwondo club…” She trails off. “But I guess you’re not really interested.” She says quietly, slight disappointment in her tone.

 Ji-eun suddenly feels bad, “I’m sorry… I just. There’s been so much-“

Dahee cuts her off, “no no that’s perfectly fine! I’m not trying to guilt trip you or anything. It’s your choice if you want to or not. But anyway, how have you been? You’ve been getting real cosy with EXO-K hmmmm???” She teases.

Ji-eun smiles a bit awkwardly and sat there staring at the top of the wooden table for a moment. It has been about a week since the Masquerade. Everything was going okay so far, her days have gone by pretty smoothly without her life being threatened. And well it was true that she was seeing EXO-K a lot more these days and she has been getting closer to some of them (except maybe Suho who’s always busy with president stuff).

No one was suspecting her that much anymore. Even after that accidental slip up with Sehun, he didn’t question her anymore about it and they continued with lessons as normal which she was immensely grateful for. She found out that he was a really good teacher and talks the most when he’s explaining things seriously, which she found kind of funny for some reason (in her mind, he just seemed too passionate about the subject for a cold-looking guy). 

Kai was being even more clingy with her as ever, he always seemed to pop up everywhere (scaring the crap out of her) and saying silly nonsense, sometimes even dragging her to eat lunch with him and the other members. Even Eunji sometimes gets roped into it and Ji-eun knows she’ll never admit it but she thinks Eunji’s secretly happy since she gets to speak to Baekhyun more. Eunji and Baekhyun are back on good terms again, it seems like they had a talk the other day and worked everything out and Ji-eun was really happy for them.

Chanyeol has also surprisingly became a little more playful with her at the most unexpected times and wasn’t as intimidating to her as he was before. Although, he still sort of kept his distance a little.   

Lastly, there was D.O who was still as charming as ever and Ji-eun’s heart beats faster every time she sees him except the thing is, she hasn’t actually been seeing him a lot lately.

A hand waved in front of her face, “Ji-eun?”

At the sound of her name being called, she jolted back into reality and turned to face Dahee who had a frown plastered on her pretty face. “You just spaced out, you alright?”

“Yeah! I’m fine. Sorry about that, just got distracted.”

Dahee gave her a mischievous smile, “ayy you were thinking about EXO-K weren’t you?”

Ji-eun’s flushed, “No.”

“Don’t deny it, you so were. Do you like any of them?” Dahee asks.

Ji-eun tried to stop it but her face just reddened even further and Dahee giggles, “okay okay. I was joking.”

She places a palm on her cheek, her gaze in a daze. “You sure are lucky though. So many girls would so want to be in your spot. I bet they’re all jealous.”

She didn’t know why but Ji-eun felt like the need to apologize, “sorry.”

Dahee looks at her surprised, “I’m not jealous or anything. I mean I used to be but I’m not really anymore. Sure they’re hot and all but I think it’s best if I stay out of all the drama too.” She says.

You’re the lucky one to be able to have a choice and stay away from drama. Misfortune just sticks to me everywhere here. Ji-eun thinks.

“Hey have you heard though? About the survival challenge?” Dahee asks.

“Survival challenge?”

Dahee suddenly looks really excited, “yeah! Apparently it’s something new that the Silver Rose is organising this year. I don’t know the exact details but I know that it’s like some kind of examination between all the big schools including ours.”

Ji-eun raises her eyebrows, “that’s interesting. Do you know why they’re doing this though?”

“Hmm, not really. It’s like some pre-exam competition or something. Back then we just had two types of physical examinations for Mystical Training within our own schools and the Silver Rose members would mark us on our abilities and combat skills through matches. But it seems to be different this year as they took out the examination for abilities.”

“Oh wow. That a bit strange. The previous exams sound daunting though.” Ji-eun comments.

Dahee gives her a face, “it is pretty scary. Especially with the examiners watching you. But this year I think it’ll be fun, maybe more action will happen. Oh and every student from each school is going to be entered into the competition by the way. So this is gonna be such a huge thing.”

Ji-eun’s eyes widened. Every student’s going to be entered??? Oh no… More potential trouble.

Not noticing her friend’s distressed expression, Dahee stands up. “Well, I have class soon so I’ve got to go. It was great catching up with you though Ji-eun. Hope to see you again later! Talk to you more in Mystic Training.”

Dahee did not seem like an affectionate person so when she suddenly pulled Ji-eun into a hug, she was pleasantly surprised.

Ji-eun smiled, “yeah same here. See you later.” She waves at Dahee as she walks off. It was nice to have another friend instead of making enemies.  

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ji-eun was on her way to the library the next day when a finger jabbed her in the side out of nowhere. Being extremely sensitive around the waist, Ji-eun jumped almost ten feet and spun around, kicking blindly behind her out of instinct.

Unfortunately, the culprit had teleported away in time before she was able to land a hit.

Ji-eun sighed when she saw who it was. Kai stared at her with wide eyes, his hands coming to cover up his lower part. "Damn, that was close. You almost killed my manhood."

Ji-eun rolled her eyes, "a shame I didn't. It was your fault for scaring me out of the blue."

Kai put his hands up in protest, "but you’ve never done that before when I came to ‘greet’ you all those other times!"

"YEAH WELL, you poked me in the side so of course I'll try and kick you, whoever you may be." Ji-eun retorted.

Then, Kai smiled deviously, "you're ticklish?"

Ji-eun blinked rapidly, "psh. No?"

Kai slowly brought up his hand and wriggled his fingers in front of her playfully, "so you are~" He stepped closer and Ji-eun pointed a finger at him, moving back quickly "don't you dare." She says, trying to sound venomous.

Kai just chuckled and continued to advance towards her. Ji-eun glanced back at the library entrance. So how to outrun a guy who can teleport.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a familiar tall guy walking out of a classroom that was next to the library.

Immediately, Ji-eun saw her chance. She quickly ran towards Chanyeol who stopped to watch her, slightly puzzled and maybe a bit annoyed when she ran to hide behind him.

"Stop!" She shouts at Kai, "otherwise Chanyeol will throw a fireball at you."

Chanyeol frowned, "what? Who says I will." He sidesteps away from her.

Kai snickered at Ji-eun’s failed attempt. "Come on, Hiccups. You can do better than that, he won’t help you."

Chanyeol frowns, "what’s going on?"

He glanced at his brother then down at Ji-eun who looked up at him with pleading eyes.

"Please save me from Kai."

Chanyeol raises his eyebrow, "why should I?"

"See?" Kai teleported behind her and she yelped and quickly clutched Chanyeol’s sleeve, "please, I’ll do anything." She says trying to get away from Kai's grabby hands.

Chanyeol seems to think for a moment then steps in front her shielding her body away from his second youngest brother, "okay that’s enough." Chanyeol says. “If you don’t stop, you heard what she said before.”

Kai whines. "aw that’s no fair hyung. You ruined the fun."

He looks at Ji-eun, "fine. But I’ll get you next time, Hiccups." He winks and vanishes into black smoke.

Chanyeol turns to her, "you owe me." He says before walking off.

Ji-eun follows him, "...thanks."

Chanyeol shakes his head, "no need. Like I said you owe me, but not now. I’ll let you know when the time comes." He turns to her with a stern gaze, “and you better not back out when it happens.”

Ji-eun gulps and nods. Chanyeol flashes her a small quick smile, one that always leaves her flabbergasted (and maybe slightly red faced) before leaving.

Ji-eun exhales and then turns back-

"Sike!"

This time Ji-eun really does kick him but too bad she barely managed to land one on his leg.

Kai gives her the pitiful face.

"Damn, I missed." She deadpans.

Kai laughs, "what happened to the goody two shoes I met a two months ago???"

"Gone now, since you’re here."

"Hey! What’s that meant to mean??"

Ji-eun just tiredly drags a hand over her face, "what are you doing here Kai?"

Kai slings an arm over her shoulder, "hey don’t be like that, we're besties no? Besties hang with each other and tell each other everything." Kai says cheerfully.

Ji-eun sighs again, "but you usually disappear somewhere else after annoying me for a bit. What's different now?"

Kai looks at her, offended. "You think I'm annoying??"

Then he looks slightly amused, “well you’re the first girl to ever think that actually.”

Ji-eun just looks at him expectantly, waiting for an answer.

This time it was Kai who sighs in defeat, "fine. I teleported into my dorm before, just when that idiot hyung Baekhyun, accidently bumped into the stack of dishes in the kitchen. Kyung- D.O hyung came in and let’s just say he wasn’t happy so Baek hyung and I are staying at least 20 metres away from the dorm right now."

Ji-eun looked at him in wonder, "you guys have a kitchen in your dorm??"

Kai raised an eyebrow at her, "I tell you the truth and reason for being here and that’s what you're interested in?" He shakes his head, unbelievable, but that probably why I like being around you.

"Is D.O, really that scary when he's mad?" Ji-eun asks.

Kai gives her the most terrified look she’s ever seen on anyone’s face, "he is like Satan."

Ji-eun grew scared with him hearing that, I mean being attacked by the dalmundums just about a week ago was still fresh in her mind.

"...Oh." Ji-eun says.

"Why do you sound so disappointed??" Kai says then his eyes widen in realisation, "don’t tell me you like hyung!"

"What? No."

“Hyung really is scary when he’s mad though, he is deceiving. Just remember to run if he starts giving you this really really sweet smile."

Sweet smile?

"No, you’ll understand when you experience it and I wish you good luck if you're the one who made him mad." Kai says after looking at Ji-eun’s sceptical face.

"Kim Jongin!"

Kai jumped, "speak of the devil" he muttered.

He blew her a quick kiss, "see you around, Hiccups." Before teleporting away.

Kim Jongin? Is that his actual name? Ji-eun frowned and turned to D.O who was walking towards her, shaking his head.

"He is always causing trouble." He tells her looking quite irritated.

Then he flashes her a smile, it was amazing how he was able to switch from being all scary to nice so fast. Is this the sweet smile Kai was talking about? "How’s everything going? It’s been a while."

Ji-eun nods, "yeah it has, and I’ve been pretty good. Having a lot more assignments to do though, so I'm kind of struggling." She says. "You?"

"Ah yeah same, it’s probably because it’s getting closer to the end of the year and exams are coming and all that." D.O rubs the back of his neck, "where are you headed now?"

Ji-eun points back to the library entrance, "I am probably going to be here pretty much for the rest of the month or even longer if the teachers don't stop throwing assignments and tests at us every chance they got."

D.O rolls his eyes, "tell me about it."

Ji-eun grinned, she really liked D.O’s company, he was a really friendly, humorous, and not to mention attractive kind of guy. Could that mean she likes him?

Her heart skipped a beat at the thought.

"Well, I’ve got to go catch up with some idiots now. See you later yeah?” He says, giving her a friendly pat on the shoulder.

“Sure. Good luck.” Ji-eun jokes.

 D.O laughs, “thanks.” He says running off.

He is definitely not like Satan.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright class, we are going to have do an assignment that’s going to be due in two weeks. It will be a partner assignment and I will allow everyone to have a partner of their own choice. I will give you two minutes now to decide who you would like to be with and at the end of the lesson, let me know so I can write your names on the list.” As soon as Mrs. Yeo, the maths teacher finished talking everyone instantly got out of their seats and went over to their friends.

Sehun had his head in his arms but he could feel the many longing stares of the female supernaturals in the class. He lifted his head and laid his cheek on his arm instead, glancing over lazily to his right.

There Ji-eun sat, gazing down at the maths assignment sheet laying on her desk. Occasionally she would look up to see if anyone would approach her and would have a face of slight disappointment when she realises no one was going to.

Sehun blinked slowly as he stared at her side-profile. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of an autumn sprite daringly coming towards his direction. His eyebrows lifted a little in displeasure at the thought of someone coming to ask him.  

As he had thought, the sprite stopped in front of his table staring at him a little nervously but held her head high. She was very pretty, in fact everyone at Mystical High was above average in looks but Sehun didn’t care about appearances. He didn’t care about anything at all. Or what he would mostly like to think he doesn’t.

“H-hi Sehun. I was just wondering if you’d like to be my-“

“I already have a partner.” He says without looking at her.

At this point, Ji-eun was already listening in on the conversation and when she turned to her right, her eyes locked with Sehun’s.

The sprite scowled, “who?”

This time Sehun broke his gaze with Ji-eun to glare at the sprite, “that’s none of your business. Now go away.” He says, a gust of wind blowing passed them in warning, books rustling.   

The sprite jumped and looked around nervously but she still stood her ground, “I don’t think you have a partner. Seongsangnim is going to put you with the last person in the class who does haven’t one.” She suddenly turned and pointed at Ji-eun who looked at her shocked, “she’s most likely going to be alone so do you really want to end up with her?”

Ji-eun frowned, she was about to say something but Sehun beat her to it. “So? I don’t care. I’d rather be with her than you anyway.”

Has two minutes always been this long? Ji-eun thought.

The sprite gave him a look of disbelief, “seriously? Why would you want to partner up with such a useless abnormal nobody who probably isn’t even good at maths. You ought to have someone who’s at least getting good grades.”

 Ji-eun’s jaw dropped, what? This sprite knew absolutely nothing about her. Not to brag but she was actually really good in maths. It was one of the subjects that she was home-schooled in by her aunt. But since the teacher was starting to look their way and Ji-eun didn’t want to get in trouble so she stayed quiet.

Sehun’s lips became a very thin straight line. “You should shut your mouth before I shut it for you.” He says in a cool, calm voice but his eyes reflected a storm.

“Whoever’s my partner does not concern you.” He side glanced at Ji-eun, “and if it’s going to be her, so be it.”

The sprite just looked between Sehun and Ji-eun looking really upset. Finally, she huffed and stomped off towards her group of friends who were looking at her sympathetically.

Ji-eun turned to Sehun, “don’t worry. I’ll try go find someone else so that you won’t have to be partnered with me.” She says.

She stood up but Sehun stopped her, “its fine.” 

Ji-eun slowly sat back down, “but-“

“I said its fine already. I really don’t care about you being my partner.” Sehun says, his voice neutral now.

Slowly turned her head back to her desk, Ji-eun gave a small nod. “Okay.”

Sehun barely heard her inaudible ‘thank you’ following and the tiniest miniscule of a smile appeared on his lips.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“D.O?”

D.O looked up from his book. Haewon?

The said angel was smiling brightly at him and fidgeting with her hair, “what a coincidence seeing you here.” She gestures around the quiet library.

D.O raises an eyebrow, “same here.” He says, to be honest this was the first time he’s ever seen her visit the library. Being the class president and spending most of his days in the library he was very observant and usually noticed these things. Even though he hadn’t been going recently as he was busy with class duties and the masked singer on his mind. I’m still not sure if she’s really the one…

But being the polite gentlemen he was, D.O gave her a small smile, “so what can I do for you?”

Haewon blushed a little, “well…” She paused, looking like she was in thought before she spoke again, “I was just wondering how you’ve been since the Masquerade… you know?”

D.O tilted his head, “masquerade?” Could she be hinting…?

“Yeah, you know that time in the garden… W-we talked…ummm” Haewon felt awkward, she was hoping she didn’t have to explain because truthfully, she only saw D.O and Ji-eun speaking but she didn’t actually know what they were talking about.

However she needn’t worry as D.O seemed to take the bait. “S-so that was you?” He asks, eyes widened. He couldn’t believe it, Haewon really was the masked singer.  But something doesn’t feel right somehow?

Haewon looked relieved and D.O just thought it was because she was just nervous in general, “yes, that was me. I was the one singing on stage a few times. My mother organised those performances for me.” She lies, fluttering her eyelashes at him.

Haewon secretly smiled. Things were going the way she wanted after all. She knew that D.O was interested in the masked singer and to have swapped her mask with Ji-eun’s, put her in the perfect spot to get closer to him. 

She had thought he already took the bait so she didn’t expect him to utter the next words, “prove it.”

“E-excuse me?”

D.O stared at her intensely, “can you sing for me?”

Haewon was dumbstruck for a second, “I-I can’t.” Then she quickly adds, “not today.“

She fakes a cough, “my throats a little sore so I’m afraid it’ll hurt if I try to sing.”

D.O blinks but nods, “okay.” He goes back to his book, quickly losing interest.

This was not how it was supposed to go. Haewon thinks, frustrated. “Tomorrow.” She declares.

Glancing up again, D.O watches as Haewon stands up looking very determined, “I will prove it to you tomorrow, I will wait for you in theatre three at lunch time.”

“Sure.” D.O agrees. Is what she’s saying really the truth?

======================================

Hey Supernaturals!

Here's a new chappie! Hope you enjoy! 

Sorry if there are any mistakes. Didn't get time to edit. I'm sorry I couldn't update earlier, I was really busy with trying to finish off all my assignments and whatnot. 

aNYWAY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUBS AND COMMENT!!! <3

Reply to previous chaps comment:

cathye: Glad you found it funny! YEAHHHH AND NOW SHE'S SEHUN'S PARTNER IN THE MATHS ASSIGNMENT OH MA GAAA XD

SO THAT ALL FOLKS, SEE YOU IN THE NEXT UPDATE (probably next week) ILYS 

 

Love, Author-nim~