Chapter 15

The Truth Cannot Be Hidden Forever

“So where’s this theatre room again?” Ji-eun asked, slinging her guitar case over her shoulder.

“It’s just past the music room and turning left.” Eunji replied, looking up from her music notes.

Ji-eun nodded and followed her. As they turned left, there were three doors. Eunji walked to the last one and pushed open the door.

“This is theatre room 3.” She stated, stepping inside and pushing the door wider for Ji-eun to enter.

It was quite dark inside but when Eunji flicked the light switch on, Ji-eun saw that the area was filled with rows of red velvet chairs and a medium sized stage positioned a few metres before the seats.

There was a black grand piano situated on the side of the stage and an acoustic electric guitar stood next to it.

“This theatre is the smallest one out of all three theatres. Theatre one is probably the largest but we mostly use that for drama productions and other music events.” Eunji explained.

“I see.” Ji-eun replied and walked forward, looking around in absolute wonder and amazement.

“Whoaa, this is so awesome!” She exclaimed and Eunji giggled at her.

Ji-eun climbed up onto the stage and began doing ridiculous dance moves making Eunji laugh. She was in the middle of doing an octopus wave with her arms when someone coughed at the back of the room.

Eunji stopped laughing and spun around while Ji-eun halted in place. They both forgot about the other two group members they were supposed to meet up with.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun strolled towards them, stopping just before the last row of seats. Chanyeol crossed his arms and had a neutral face on while Baekhyun had his hands in the pockets of his pants, looking extremely amused.

“Seems like someone’s a bit too eager to perform in front of an audience.”

Ji-eun felt the blood rush to her face at Baekhyun’s remark. They must’ve seen all that. Gosh, this is embarrassing.

Surprisingly, Eunji let out a soft giggle making Baekhyun look stunned for a moment before an almost proud look crossed his face for eliciting a laugh from the silent angel.   

“Let’s practice.” Chanyeol interrupted and headed towards the piano.

Ji-eun followed him and took out her guitar from her case while Baekhyun and Eunji went to sit in the backstage chairs behind the curtain to discuss the song lyrics.

Looking at Eunji and Baekhyun, Ji-eun smiled at how Eunji was starting to get more comfortable with speaking to him. Hopefully, Eunji won’t be withdrawn from everyone anymore.

Then, a sweet melody rang out and Ji-eun’s attention immediately focused on Chanyeol’s broad back sitting at the piano, producing the lovely tune from the piano keys. 

She stood there memorised by the musical notes and the way Chanyeol looked so peaceful and calm as he played.

However, all too soon the melody abruptly cut off short and Ji-eun felt disappointment creep up inside her.

She tensed when Chanyeol turned his gaze on her, “this is what I’ve come up so far.”

Ji-eun’s eyes widened, he composed that beautiful melody? Wow.

“I-it’s really good.” She breathed and Chanyeol cocked his head slightly.

“You think so?”

He turned back to his music sheets and began marking and crossing notes out on the paper.

Ji-eun dared to come closer until she stood behind him looking at his notes.

“But, I-I think the tempo could slow down a bit more at this part here, bar 25.” She tells him, pointing to one of the bar lines on his music sheet.

Chanyeol turned slightly and glanced at her side profile, he hadn’t expected him to come behind him like that. He silently observed her face, the way her eyebrows pinched together in deep thought as she studied his notes and her pink lips pursed slightly almost into a cute small pout.

Chanyeol felt his heart flutter a little but he chose to ignore it and went back to focusing on what she was saying.

“…Also, maybe the notes from bar 13 to bar 16 could be repeated but instead of the crotchet in the second to last note, maybe a double crotchet and end it with a semi-breve?”

Ji-eun didn’t hear a response and turned her head to see Chanyeol staring intensely at her.

It was then that she realised how close she was standing next to him.

Looking flustered, Ji-eun quickly stepped back, “t-that’s just my opinion though. You don’t have to listen to me. Forget what I said.” She tells him, eyes cast down.

Chanyeol continued to stare at her for a moment before his eyes flittered briefly over his music sheet. “No… You’re right.”

Ji-eun didn’t think she heard him right, “pardon?”

He took his notes, quickly scribbling something on it and the sheets towards Ji-eun’s direction.

She didn’t take them.

Chanyeol raised his eyebrow as he turned to look at her. “Take them. You’re not expecting me to do all the work, do you? It is a group assignment after all.”

“O-oh yeah.” She stuck her hand out to take it when Chanyeol gripped on the sheets making her unable to take them away.

“Hm?” She glanced at Chanyeol to see him narrowing his eyes at something on her arm. Or rather wrist.

It was her charm bracelet.

Why is he staring at it? Ji-eun’s heart beat faster and she felt like yanking her arm away from his sight. But that would’ve been too suspicious.

So instead she gently pulled the sheet and he let go, frowning.

Having grasped the sheets, she added the next few music notes for the next part of the musical piece feeling well aware of his eyes on her as she turned to the side a bit to hide her bracelet from his view.

When she was finished, Ji-eun handed the sheet back to Chanyeol.

His eyes flickered towards her left wrist as he took the papers. “That bracelet…Where did you get it.”

Ji-eun looked at her wrist, “o-oh this? My aunt gave it to me when I was little as a birthday present.” She said.

“Does it have a purpose?” Chanyeol asks, a slight edge in his voice.  

Purpose? Why would he ask that? It’s like he knows it has one. “No? Why would it?” Ji-eun said, trying to keep her voice from shaking. Please stop asking me.

Chanyeol eyed her, lips pressed together in a thin line.

Ji-eun felt herself freeze up as she stared back at him, appearing confident but inside, she was anxious. Why is he asking me these things?

She felt relief spread through her bones when finally, Chanyeol’s gaze slid away from her and he shook his head, “nevermind.”

He placed the notes in front of him, straightened his posture and gracefully readied his fingers over the piano keys.

I hope it sounds alright… Ji-eun thought.

He began playing the newly synthesised part of the tune.

Remembering the chorus, Ji-eun picked up her guitar and starting strumming. At first she was a bit slower because she was still trying to get used to the song but afterwards she fell in sync with Chanyeol’s pace.

As they both played in harmony, Eunji and Baekhyun also seemed to pause their lyrical discussion to listen to the instrumental.

Soon, the tune came to a sudden end due to the song still unfinished. Although, Chanyeol pressed the last note of the piano looking quite satisfied.

Baekhyun let out a playful ‘whoop’ and praised them with Eunji nodding and smiling.

Ji-eun grinned back, feeling pleased at their teamwork.

“We aren’t quite finished yet.” Ji-eun jumped and glanced up to see Chanyeol standing in front of her.

“We need to rearrange something for the bridge. I’ve tried to reuse bars 9 to 12 and changed some notes but it didn’t quite flow. I’ve also tried to add notes but that wasn’t very successful.” Chanyeol sighed and looked at her, “you have any ideas?”

“Um, can I see what you’ve done so far?”

Chanyeol handed her his draft and she scanned over them, whoa. This arrangement looks so complicated compared to the rest of the piece. There are hardly any breaks in-between and so many slurs.

Ji-eun was at awe with the difficulty level of music knowledge Chanyeol had. She didn’t even recognise some of the symbols.  

She cleared and gave him a slightly apologetic expression, “I don’t think I can do much either.”               

Chanyeol eyed her and then glanced down at her guitar. “Do you have guitar tunes you usually play?”

Ji-eun blinked at his question, “I think so.” She scrunched up her nose as she tried to think up of a few melodies she used to play.

“Ah! There’s this tune I made up before.” She says and began to strum her guitar. It was a tune that she created back home and usually played it whenever she was bored.

When she finished playing, Chanyeol nodded his head and walked over to the piano.

Ji-eun’s eyes enlarged in astonishment as he began to play the exact same melody as she just played on the guitar. He only heard it once and he already knows how to play it? He didn’t even need the musical notes. She shook her head, sheesh this guy’s skills is way beyond me.

At that moment, Baekhyun and Eunji came over to them.

“We’ve done with writing out the draft lyrics. We just need to fit them with the instrumental.” Baekhyun said.

"We are pretty much done too. Just the bridge left to go.” Ji-eun replied.

Chanyeol put his arms behind his head, “we should take a break. It’s way past lunch time now and we won’t have time to rehearse.”

“Let’s meet another time then.” Eunji intercepted still a bit quiet but more comfortable with speaking in front of the two powerful werewolves.

 “The music performance is next Wednesday so we can rehearse at lunch on Monday?” Baekhyun said and everyone else agreed.

Chanyeol turned to Ji-eun and spoke lowly, “about the bridge… That melody you played before, will do.”

She glanced at him surprised, “a-are you sure?”

“Yes.” He said monotone as he looked elsewhere, “it flows with the piece.”

Ji-eun smiled, feeling quite pleased.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The hover bus should be here any minute now.” Eunji says, checking her watch as they stood outside the school in front of a bright yellow bus sign.

They were both wearing casual clothes. Eunji wore a pink summer dress on matched with a cute straw hat while Ji-eun wore a nice baby blue t-shirt tucked into her denim jeans.   

Soon, a large looking yellow vehicle with no wheels and hovering mid-air came to a stop in front of them.

“Oh wow.” Ji-eun said and Eunji shook her head. She was no longer surprised that her roommate was literally new to everything.

“Honestly, Ji-eun. I don’t understand how you’ve never come across these things before. It’s like you’ve never ventured outside your house ever since you were born!” Eunji says in wonder.

Ji-eun flinched behind her. Eunji really had no idea how spot on she was.

Trying to laugh it off, Ji-eun turned to her “yeah, I wasn’t allowed to go out a lot back then...” I mean, I went to explore the forest like almost every day? That counts as being outside right?

Eunji didn’t seem very convinced but didn’t argue.

The bus ride took about 20 minutes before it arrived in an area with lots people walking around and buildings surrounding the place.

Ji-eun stared out the window in wonder with sparkling eyes. She was very excited.

Eunji looked at her and smiled at the child-like curiosity on her face. “This is just the entrance of town. We have yet to reach our destination.”

The bus continued on until it stopped before a large building. Huge silver metal letters hung in a semi-circle shape above the entrance.

Northville Shopping Centre. It read.   

“Come on, we’re here.” Eunji said, grabbing Ji-eun’s arm.

Ji-eun marvelled her surroundings as Eunji pulled her along. She was dragged into a shop that sold beautiful dresses, well-designed suits and stylish masks.

Eunji tugged her towards a section of elegant dresses. “Go pick out what you like. This shop has all the sizes.” She says happily as she began picking out multiple dresses.

Surveying the rack of dresses, Ji-eun bit her lip. She really didn’t know what to choose since she doesn’t usually wear these kinds of sophisticated gowns at home. She didn’t even know what size she was, her aunt pretty much sewed all her clothes.

Eunji seemed to realise that something was wrong when her friend was just standing there and came over, “is something wrong Ji-eun? Do you not like any of the dresses?”

Ji-eun immediately shook her head, “no no. The dresses are very pretty. It’s just, I don’t usually wear dresses so I don’t know what to pick.”

Eunji opened in understanding, “ohh! Not a problem. I’ll help you choose.” She glanced at her and asked, “what’s your size?”

“Uh about that…” Eunji appeared to get what Ji-eun was going to say and just nodded much to Ji-eun’s appreciation.

“Hmmm you look about a size 8 so- oh! How about this one?” Eunji picked up a dark green dress with a low cut down the middle and a long slit on the side.

Ji-eun shook her head. She didn’t like wearing dresses that were too revealing.

Eunji looked at the dress, “hm yeah. This is too revealing.” I like the way you think, my friend.

She held up another one, “here’s a nice yellow one?” Eunji glanced at her, “it’s a bit too bright though huh.” She said and Ji-eun nodded.

Eunji continued to search the rack, “yes! This one will be a definite yes.” She said and Ji-eun was awestruck when Eunji pulled out a gorgeous sea blue, strapless and long dress with three silver stars sewn down the middle.

“It’s beautiful.” Ji-eun breathed and Eunji beamed. “I’m glad you like it!”  

They went over to the mask section, each choosing one that they thought matched their dresses.

Let’s go try these on.” Eunji said, her dress in hand and pointing towards the fitting rooms.   

Carefully putting on the dress, she glanced in the mirror and was taken a back. The dress really made her look nice.

Ji-eun stepped out of the fitting room as Eunji came out. They both stared at each other.

“Whoa, Eunji you look absolutely stunning!” Ji-eun exclaimed as she gazed at the beauty. Eunji was wearing a long, off-the-shoulder red dress with frills on the other side of her shoulder strap.

Eunji grinned at her. “Thank you! But Ji-eun, seriously. Have you seen yourself? This dress was literally made for you. You look drop-dead gorgeous!”

Ji-eun blushed, feeling quite flattered at the amount of compliments Eunji was showering her with. “Thank you, Eunji.”

Eunji beckoned her closer, “just a moment though, the zip isn’t pulled up all the way.”

Ji-eun came closer and was about to turn around when she caught a glimpse of something black peeking out from behind her shoulder strap.

Eunji saw what Ji-eun was looking at and explained, “this is a birthmark. I was born with it.” She said, pulling the strap a little so Ji-eun could see it clearer. It looked like a sort of symbol. An image of a flower within a diamond with an intricate pattern drawn around it.

“Interesting birthmark.” Ji-eun murmured. For some reason, she thought it was a strange birthmark for someone to have.

Shaking off her thoughts she turned around and let Eunji fully zip up her dress.

“There.” Eunji turned them both around to look in the mirror.

“Let’s put on our masks.”

The masks fit on perfectly. Eunji had a glittery golden one while Ji-eun had a silver sequenced one. “Now we are ready for the masquerade.”  

Ji-eun smiled and thanked her.

“You’re welcome! Now, let’s get changed. There are so many other stores I want to show you.”

 

“What’s wrong with wearing our other suits? We already have a whole set each. Does grandfather really want us to get another one?” Kai complained as EXO-K walked along the mall.

D.O and Baekhyun voiced their agreement and Suho sighed, shaking his head. “Yes, we do now stop complaining and go get yourselves a suit.”

All the members split up and went to different stores. Sehun entered a random shop and took the first suit he saw to the front counter. He didn’t need to try it on because he knew that he would look good in any suit no matter what it looked like.

The female at the counter glanced up and swooned at the attractive being in front of her. “Is this all you would like, handsome sir?”

Sehun mentally scoffed, Psh. Garden Pixies. Have no shame.

“That’s all.” He said, placing a cheque down on the counter. She took it, eyes widening at the amount. Good-looking and rich. What a jackpot. The pixie wrapped up his suit in a bag and gave it to him, winking.

Sehun ignored her, taking the bag and new cheque written since the cash register didn’t hold enough change. He turned around and looked inside the bag for the receipt. He took it out to look at the price and wasn’t surprised to see a name and address written right below it.

 He rolled his eyes and scrunched up the receipt. He was about to walk out of the store when he caught sight of a female looking in the mirror with a pretty dress and mask on.

Sehun didn’t know why he was looking at the stranger so intently when she took of her mask and his usual pokerfaced split into a surprised expression when he saw who it was. Ji-eun.

Something thudded in his chest and he frowned. Shaking his head, he walked off.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A loud cheering rose up within the large underground cavern.

Different creatures with tentacles, black scaly skin, long sharp claws and terrifying black eyes stood around holding up sticks of fire.

Two creatures were circling each other, growling and snarling. One waved a large claw at the other’s face and the other, having black webbed wings flew away, spitting purple mucus out of its mouth at the its opponent. The mucus landed on the others snout sizzling and burning making the creature moan.

More roars and rumbles erupted from the creatures, making the ground shake.  

Then, a hand slammed down harshly on the armchair and the creatures immediately quietened down. They all looked up towards their masters who were sitting on golden thrones.

“M-masstterr?” A creature moaned curiously.

Suddenly, the two creatures that were fighting each other were lifted up in mid-air by an invisible force and thrown to the side, crashing heavily into the wall.

The air became chilly and the creatures shivered, frightened. It seems the masters were angered.

They all kneeled down in silence, begging for forgiveness.

“I have a declaration.” A low voice stated.

“One the night of the masquerade. We shall attack. The book of prophets will be within our grasp!” An evil cackle ripped the air and the rest of the creatures began to laugh along.

Wicked smiles crossed each of the masters’ faces as the voice continued, “the fun is about to begin.” 

================================================

Hey Hey Supernaturals!!!! 

How are you all?? 

Firstly thank you so so much for the subs and comments!!

I even thought about it and I have decided to reply here: (If anyone doesn't want their username here, then inbox me and I will put you as anonymous.) --> this is starting from chapter 14 comments btw. 

Saphira20: I am glad you find it funny! :D

Aqualili: Yay. I am happy you found that hilarious. Adn to answer your question, unfortunately no, it will not be reverseharem. Ji-eun will only end up with one person. Sorry!! ><

Missing_link: You are most welcome!! I am so grateful to see one of my old readers here still supporting my story. I will try to update more. :3 

UaenaExoticInspirit: I wish my history class was like that too! And yes L is very VERY cute XD

Stay tuned for the next update! 

Be happy, Author-nim~