26. Jimmy

100 Word Prompts

Title/Prompt: Jimmy

Author: Rosetta Stone

Pairing: Henry-centric

Rating: G

Summary: Henry's first day at SM was pretty easy. He didn’t have too much trouble speaking Korean with anyone and he was even able to impress his new band mates with his skills. Now if only he could get them to stop calling him Jimmy it would be perfect.

***

Henry's first day at SM was pretty easy. He had arrived first thing in the morning and was given a tour by one of the company managers. With one hand holding his violin case, and the other holding a brand new Korean dictionary he felt he was able to take on anything that was thrown at him. The tour was pretty long with the man showing him all the different recording rooms, the cafeteria, the meeting rooms, and finally ending with the dance practice rooms. This was where he was to meet his new band mates.

The growing popular Super Junior.

When Henry first heard of them he didn’t know if he should be impressed or not. What kind of band calls themselves Super Junior? But after a few searches on Google and YouTube he realized that not only were they not a laughing matter, but he was actually nervous in meeting them. They were talented, very talented, and he was worried that he would mess up and ruin the song. Because he may be from Canada but even he knows how vicious the fans can be. And he would rather not be on the receiving end of it.

"Henry-shi?" The man who was giving him the tour said.

"Hmm?"

"We are here." He explained as he pointed to the door.

On the other side Henry could hear the sounds of a group of guys talking and laughing with one another. There was music also playing in the background but it didn’t seem like anyone was practicing to it. Henry only had a moment to take a deep breath before his tour guide opened the door and ushered him in. Right away the sounds died down as the large group of men stopped to turn to the new arrival. Henry glanced around the room and took in the faces of all the people who he knew through the internet but at this very moment could not match a name to a face. He noticed that it wasn’t a full room of people so there were some members missing. He was suddenly so shy that he thought for a moment he was going to faint from nerves. The man had taken a step forward to address the group of men.

"Everyone this is Henry Lau. He is a new trainee here who is going to be showcased on the Don’t Don song. Henry plays the violin. Henry this is Super Junior. You will be working with them for now on. Jungsu, make sure he is well introduced and comfortable."

"Yes hyung." A man in the middle replied respectfully.

"Very good. I have other things to do so you all play nice now." And with a clasp on Henry's shoulder he turned an left the room.

"Henry right?" The man who was called Jungsu said after a minute of silence. He stepped forward and held out a hand. "I am Jungsu, the leader of Super Junior. It's nice to meet you."

Henry had to shift his violin to his other hand so he could take the man's hand. He gave a hesitant smile as his eyes darted frantically around the room. His Korean was pretty decent but if anyone spoke to quickly it was bound to go over his head. He knew though from his early research that one of the members was Chinese though and he felt he needed to meet him as quickly as possible.

"Do you not speak Korean yet?" Jungsu seemed to pick up before looking over his shoulder. "Hankyung! Come here."

Henry's eyes were filled with relief when the Chinese man approached the pair. Finally someone he could talk to without any problems.

"Hello." Hankyung said simply, but that simple word in mandarin almost brought tears to Henry's eyes.

"Hello! I am Henry." Henry replied with a bright smile.

Across the room another man was watching them interact before a snort slipped between his lips. A smirk appeared on his face before he also walked up to them.

"You know kid, you don’t look like a Henry." The man said with his cat like smirk.

"I'm sorry?" Henry could only say while the other man shot him a look.

"Heechul, behave." He softly said.

"I am Hannie. I am just saying, the kid doesn’t look like a Henry." He circled around him before a nod appeared on his face. "I will call you Jimmy instead."

"Jimmy?" Henry parroted.

"Yes, Jimmy." The man said as he put an arm on his. "Jimmy I am Heechul, and as your hyung you are to listen to what I have to say."

"Um?" He looked at Hankyung for support but the man could only shake his head. Henry quickly realized that he was not going to win this fight. "Okay hyung."

Heechul grinned at this before bringing the man to the rest of the band.

"Everyone, come meet Jimmy. He is our newest member." He declared.

The others walked up and took a good look at him. Some had amused looks on their faces, probably entertained by Heechul's antics while the others were more interested in who their actual new member is. Henry smiled at them as he held the violin case closer. They all smiled at him in an encouraging way so he supposed they would treat him nicely.  Jungsu took over again and calmly introduced the current members to him.

"We have Jongwoon who is our lead singer," He began slowly so Henry could follow. "This is Youngwoon, Sungmin, Siwon, Kibum and Donghae. And you have already met Heechul and Hangkyung. The others should be here shortly."

Henry nodded showing that he understood what the older man told him. He smiled politely at them to show he was friendly but still took a step towards Hankyung for a familiar face. The Chinese man smiled gently at him and patted him on the shoulder.

"Don’t worry, they are all really nice people." He told him in a soft voice. "And some are working on learning Mandarian right now so they will try to talk to you in that language."

"Yah! Hannie, I hate it when you speak in a different language." Heechul complained.

"Well except Heechul. He refuses to learn." Hankyung corrected with a wink. He turned to the other and shot him a look. "He doesn’t speak Korean really well yet so of course I am going to use a more familiar language."

"Jimmy is now in Korea working for a Korean company to play violin for a Korean boy band. He should start getting use to the language." Heechul argued.

Henry had found that, despite his new name, the argument that Heechul gave was pretty fair. He was in a different country where he was going to be working. It was only fair that he learned the language. He tightened his grip on the dictionary in his hands. He took a slow breath before speaking in shaky Korean to the men.

"I will work hard on that for you Heechul-shi." He said softly.

The band all turned to him and Heechul offered him a small smile. He ruffled Henry's hair and made his way back to his bag to grab his water.

"Be sure that you do Jimmy." He called back.

Henry grinned at this. He felt like he passed some sort of test with the man. Jungsu shook his head at this before turning to Henry.

"While we wait for the others how about you get settled in and start tuning. I know the group would like to hear you play."

Henry nodded his head and went to a wall to drop off his bag. Opening his violin case he smiled at his prized instrument. With all the changes that have happened recently to the Chinese man, his violin was a constant sight and comfort. He pulled the instrument out and gently plucked at the strings to hear the familiar sound as the he listened to the band behind him move around. He felt a presence behind him and turned to see one of the members standing with his.

"Hi, I'm Siwon." The good looking man introduced himself in rather impressive Mandarin.

"Henry." He replied unnecessarily.

"You are not from China are you." Siwon said with a smile. "Henry is rather American."

"Canada actually." He said cheerfully. "I live in Toronto but was scouted by someone from the company."

"So you speak English?" Siwon asked as he himself switched languages.

"Yes, how well is your English?"

"I am still learning, I would love for your help at times."

"Sure Siwon-shi!" He replied brightly. He was already liking this guy, he could see why he was a fan favorite. His polite and friendly nature was genuine.

There was a door opening and a sudden burst of people came into the room. They were loud and boisterous as they all were talking at once about something and laughing loudly at it. Henry felt himself becoming shy again as they all seemed to realize there was someone new in their practice room.

"Who is this?" One of them asked as he approached Henry and Siwon.

"His name is Jimmy." Heechul called across the room before anyone else could. Jungsu shot him a look but before he could correct the man Henry spoke.

"Yes my name is Jimmy. I am working with you on your next song. Please take care of me." He introduced himself with a bow.  Heechul was cackling across the room but he felt he passed another test when the man shot him a pleased look.

"Jimmy! Welcome to Super Junior. I am Hyukjae!" The man said with a bright gummy smile.

Jungsu sighed at this and went over. He patted Henry on the shoulder and whispered in his ear.

"You don’t need to encourage Heechul. Now everyone will call you Jimmy for as long as you are with us."

"That’s fine. It's all in good fun."

Jungsu smiled before pointing to the new people.

"Hyukjae, Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, Donghee, and Jongwoon. There are 13 of us all together."

Henry smiled at them politely and Ryeowook took a step forward to pinch his cheeks.

"Well aren't you rather cute. If you need anything you should let me know okay?"

"Okay!" Henry replied with a grin. He already found his favorite in the band.

Jungsu chuckled but had a pleased smile on his face. He led Henry to the mirror while the rest of the band took seats on the ground and waited for him to play. He was a little nervous as he plucked some more strings on his violin as he waited for them to settle down. Once they all looked ready he placed the violin under his chin.

"What shall I play?"

"Whatever you are comfortable with."

Henry gave a small nod before he brought the bow to the strings. Taking a deep breath he broke into Vivaldi's Storm, a song he knew like the back of his hand. He has auditioned with it, and have performed it many times to the SM staff. As his fingers flew along the strings and the bow danced galilee he allowed his mind and body to be controlled by the music. He felt his body move in motion to the music and he gracefully danced around the area as he played. He was so involved with his performance that he didn't notice the looks of awe and admiration that the band showed him. He just did what he knew he did best.

When the final note echoed across the room Henry held his pose for a minute before he relaxed his entire body. With a release of air he leaned back. The room roared in approval for his performance. He looked at them wide eyed as they all got to their feet to congratulate him on a job well done. As they clambered around him and new pair of applause from the doorway drew all their attention.

Everyone in the room froze as they realized Lee Sooman himself was standing in the doorway. Henry felt his stomach clench something terrible at the sight of the CEO and founder of the company he now worked for. He had only met the man once and it was in passing. The fact he made his way to this room to just listen to Henry play for the Super Junior members means he was putting a lot into this song. Henry felt his hands get sweaty as he stepped forward. He was grateful when Jungsu also stepped forward.

"Hello sir." He said politely as he bowed to the man. "We are really grateful that you took the time to visit us during our practice."

"I was in this area of the practice rooms and heard the violin so I decided to stop in. I am glad to see that our newest addition is fitting in so well." He turned to Henry with a smile. "Enjoying ourselves our we?"

"Yes sir." Henry said in a quiet voice.

Hyukjae, who seemed to sense the boys shyness stepped forward and placed a friendly hand on his shoulder.

"Jimmy is a great addition to us. He will be just fine."

Henry had to bite his lip to not giggle as Sooman had a confused look on his face. He seemed to be thinking about something but wasn't sure if he was correct. Behind them all Heechul cackled gleefully at the confusion. Jungsu shot him a look before looking back to the CEO.

"I'm sorry Hyukjae I thought we added Henry to your band. I didn't even know we had recruited a Jimmy." Sooman said with a confused smile.

"Henry? Who is Henry?"

Henry suddenly felt bad about the fact the dancer looked slightly worried. He had a feeling Hyukjae was not the type that liked to embarrass himself in front of someone of importance. He kept looking at the other members for help. It was Hankyung who spoke.

"Sorry Sooman-shii. We were having fun earlier and had nicknamed Henry as Jimmy for fun. Hyukjae forgot that it's a band joke only. We are sorry about that."

"Ah yes that makes sense. You guys and your jokes to make practice fun. I keep forgetting that this is Super Junior after all."

"Right! You understand that right Hyukjae? It's just like you telling me your name was Won Bin." Hankyung said with a  pointed look towards the other.

The confusion on Hyukjae face disappeared to understanding and then amusement. He grinned and he lowered his head. He squeezed the shoulder to show he was not upset about the little lie. Henry didn't say anything as Sooman finished his conversation with the band and then left the room. The group waited until they were sure he was out of ear distance before they broke off into rancorous laughter. Henry felt himself laughing with them as he was brought into a neck hold by an almost hysterical Heechul. The man was beside himself as he hung onto the Chinese man.

"That was hilarious. I have never seen the old man so confused by our antics. Good job kid." He cackled in his ear.

"I really didn't do anything. It was Hyukjae who did."

"Yeah because I thought his name was actually Jimmy! By the way kid. What is your name?" Hyukjae cried out before looking at the boy.

"Henry Lau. I'm sorry I lied to you. Heechul was the one who decided to call me that."

"I guess that makes sense. Heechul hyung is the type to do something like that."

Heechul looked proud of his accomplishments. He kept boasting to the others how well his joke worked. Jungsu shook his head at his bands antics. He looked at Henry and smiled. Henry was also smiling as he watched his new band mates.

"Henry. Welcome to Super Junior."

"Thank you. I think I'm going to enjoy it here."

"That's good. I have a feeling you will be with us for the long run as well." He looked at the band. "You're stuck with us now kid."