14. Bashful

100 Word Prompts

Title/Prompt: Bashful

Author: Rosetta Stone

Pairing: YeWook

Rating: G

Summary: Ryeowook was a very bashful kid. Would a meeting with Jongwoon help him out?

***

For Ryeowook college was one of the most frightening thing he has joined. Having grown up in a small town outside of  Seoul he had never been so far away from his parents or on his own. He supposed he should be grateful that he chose a college that his cousin went to. But he hasn't seen much of Sungmin since he started dating the math major Kyuhyun. Of course he has not told his parents this. They would try to either force his cousin to spend more time with him or force him back home. And he didn't want either of those to happen. His cousin was so happy with his boyfriend and he would hate to force them a part, or act like a third wheel on their dates.

And besides, he had met someone of his own as well.

His name was Kim Jongwoon and he was a music major at their school. The man was a couple of years older than him and had a sort of mysterious aura about him and Ryeowook finds him to be absolutely fascinating. But he has yet to talk to the man. They didn’t share any classes together and were in different social circles. The only reason Ryeowook knew who he was to begin with was because last week he had heard the other man singing while walking across campus. He had one of the best voice Ryeowook had ever heard and his curiosity had led him to learn all about the man. So he didn’t want to leave college, at least not until he actually spoke to the man.

But Ryeowook was a bashful person and would get all shy and red in the face whenever the man even walked by him. He had no idea how he was even going to approach him, none the less actually talk to him. He was tempted to ask Sungmin for help, but that would be admitting to this small crush he had, and he wasn’t ready for him to tell him.

Or have his slightly evil boyfriend find out and use it to his advantage.

So it was purely by chance that one day while he and his cousin were walking to the canteen for lunch that they happened to bump into Kyuhyun, who was walking out of the English department with Jongwoon. Sungmin had happily thrown himself at his boyfriend and proceeded to cover his faces in kisses. It left a slightly bemused Jongwoon to look over at Ryeowook to see how the younger was going was reacting. But Ryeowook hadn't even noticed that his cousin was kissing his boyfriend, he was still in too much shock about the fact that Jongwoon was standing just two feet from him. And if he put his hand out he would easily touch him. But his entire body had just froze so even if he wanted to, there was no way for him to move. Jongwoon seemed to notice his tense nature and took a step towards him in concern.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked softly.

Ryeowook forced himself to nod his head. It took every fiber of his being to even make such a small gesture. But his question had broken the spell that Sungmin and Kyuhyun had towards each other that they stopped kissing to look at the pair.

"Don’t mind him Yesung-hyung. Ryeowook is a rather shy kid." Kyuhyun explained with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Kyu be nice, he can't help it." Sungmin scolded his lover. He turned to Ryeowook. "Wookie-ah, this is Kim Jongwoon. He is a music major here."

Ryeowook wanted to tell his cousin that he knew all of this already but his mouth seemed to be unresponsive. So he nodded again. He wished he could say something to the man though. Jongwoon had a friendly smile on his face.

"Hey, it's cool. I understand the whole shy thing. My younger brother is shy around strangers too. But I hope you feel comfortable around me soon so we can get to know each other better."

Ryeowook was able to nod his head at this and smile slightly. If Jongwoon was willing to work with him on his bashful nature, than Ryeowook knew he could return the gesture and work on actually talking ot the man. He was so focused on Jongwoon that he didn’t notice the knowing looks Kyuhyun exchanged with his cousin. The two then declared that since they all met up they should get lunch together. Looping their arms together they took off towards the canteen leaving Ryeowook to walk alongside Jongwoon. The music major decided to keep the walk filled with small talk.

"You know I have heard so much about Sungmin and you from Kyuhyun that I was really happy we had this chance meeting." He noticed Ryeowook's wide eyed expression and grinned. "Yeah, I do know about you. Kyuhyun, when he is not being a brat, likes to talk about you guys a lot. It's obvious he is rather obsessed with your cousin but he also spoke really well of you. He seems to think you are a pretty cool person."

Ryeowook blushed at this. Kyuhyun speaking well of his was rather flattering. He always when he was around. But he could understand Jongwoon's words. It was obvious that Kyuhyun was the type who teased those that he cared about. He smiled at this. Jongwoon had a unique look on his face when he looked at him before shaking his head slightly. He muttered something under his breath. Ryeowook wasn’t sure he heard it right but it almost sounded like he had said.

"You're so cute."

Ryeowook shook his head. There was no way that the man he had a slight crush would find him cute after the two of them just meeting. It was his heart playing tricks on him is all. But, oh wouldn’t it be nice if it was the case…

The group finally arrived at the canteen and were able to find a four person table in the otherwise crowded room. Sungmin, knowing that Ryeowook would feel overwhelmed with all the people in line, went to get food for them. And Kyuhyun, the loving boyfriend he was at times, went to help. This left Ryeowook alone with Jongwoon. The singer smiled at him.

"If I ask you a series of questions would you be okay with answering with a shake or nod of your head?" He asked as he leaned close.

Ryeowook gave a small nod. Gesturing with his head seemed fine enough at the moment. Jongwoon smiled at this.

"Great, I'll keep them as yes and no questions then." He took a moment to come up with some simple questions. "Are you a freshmen here?"

Nod

"Are you a Business Major like your cousin?" Shake. "Math?" Hard Shake. "Ah, thought so. Only Kyuhyun is nerdy enough to be a math major. Um what about Science?" A nod. "Really? That surprises me. Um Physics?" Shake. "Chemistry?" Shake. "Biology?" Nod. "Wow you keep surprising me. But you seem also like the type that likes living things. Okay so you are a Bio Major who is in their first year. I'm guessing you're not a city person right?"

Ryeowook smiled slightly as he nodded. It was rather obvious that the quiet boy was not city born.

"Figured as much, you are obviously a country kid. Um, let's talk seasons then. Do you like Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter. Hold up a finger per number to my order."

Ryeowook smile was starting to grow. He was really glad that Jongwoon was being so kind to him. He was showing exactly to Ryeowook why the younger was starting to crush on him. He held three fingers up to show he liked autumn.  Jongwoon had a bright smile on his face.

"Really?! Me too. I love autumn with its crisp weather and the color changing leaves. It's beautiful."

"what's beautiful?" Sungmin asked curiously as he and Kyuhyun finally back with the food. He placed a plate of food in front of Ryeowook with a smile. Ryeowook returned the smile.

"Ryeowook and I were talking favorite seasons." Jongwoon explained with a grin. Both his cousin and his boyfriend had called comical wide eyed looks on their faces as they turned to him.

"You're actually talking?" They both asked in shock. Ryeowook shyly shook his head.

"Well maybe not verbally talking. But we are having a conversation aren't we?"

The shy but happy nod that Ryeowook gave to him had all three of them smiling. Sungmin and Kyuhyun exchanged looks again but he missed it a second time. Instead he decided to focus on his lunch. The small group followed suite and the rest was in a comfortable silence. Once they were all done Sungmin noted that he had a class to get to. The others agreed with him to call it a day. Ryeowook was disappointed that he had to say goodbye to Jongwoon so soon. He was really enjoying his time with the older. Jongwoon seemed to notice this because he sent him a smile. Pulling a pen out of his pocket he wrote something on his napkin. He handed the napkin to a surprised Ryeowook.

"If you want to continue our conversation you can text me at any time. Even during class. I don’t really pay much attention to them anyways." He said with a grin.

Ryeowook took the napkin with a huge blush on his face. But he was smiling none the less. He nodded his head shyly and put the phone number in his pocket. Jongwoon seemed happy about this and his grin spread even wider. He ruffled Ryeowook's hair fondly and grabbed his bag.

"Till next time." He said with a wave and left the canteen.

Kyuhyun and Sungmin had bright grins on their faces as they gave each other a quick kiss.

"See I told you he liked him." Kyuhyun said with his usual smirk.

"He will be a good match for Wookie-ah." Sungmin agreed with his own smirk.

"Wait? What does that mean?" Ryeowook asked softly.

"It means Jongwoon-hyung knew about you for a long time. He saw you and Sungmin walking from class one time and had asked me about you. We were looking for an opportinity for the two of you to meet. I was worried you would let your bashful nature get in the way but he was rather good in drawing you out of it."

Ryeowook wasn't sure if he should be glad or upset that his cousin and boyfriend were getting involved with his love life. But he figured, if anything, he should take advantage of the opportunity that was given to him. His hand touched the pocket where the napkin was. He was going to enjoy talking to Jongwoon and getting to know the older man. And he was going to get over his shyness and talk to him as well. That will be his important goal of college.