19. Unexpected

100 Word Prompts

Title/Prompt: Unexpected

Author: Rosetta Stone

Pairing: KyuMin

Rating: G

Summary: Sungmin is struggling in his math class. And his tutor is none other than Kyuhyun. And something unexpected happens between them.

***

Lee Sungmin knew he wasn't the smartest kid in his class, but he liked to pride himself in knowing he wasn't the dumbest either. He was the type of student who sat comfortably in the top fifty percent of his class. Not too high where he was expected to be the best all the time, but nowhere low enough where he was a concern to the teachers of his grade. A bit higher than the usual average is where he sat. And for Sungmin that was enough. His two best friends were also in the same area as him and the three of them were perfectly fine with that. The only real difference was that Eunhyuk and Donghae were somewhat decent at math, while it was easily his worst subject. It wasn't that he didn't get it, it just confuses him at times. But he was always able to squeeze by with a low B or a C+ that no one paid any mind to it.

However that all changed when he was in Pre Calculus and his test scores were starting to show low C and D grades. The teacher finally asked him to stay behind when he received his first F on a test. A devastated Sungmin could only stare at the bright red letter and barely made any movement to show that he heard his two friends tell him that they will see him at lunch. He barely moved when his teacher Junghoon walked over and sat at the desk in front of him. The two silently as Sungmin stared at his test and Junghoon watching his student. Finally he sighed and gently pulled the paper out of his hand.

"Sungmin, I know you are really upset about this but it's not the end of the world. It's obvious that the material is rather difficult for you. Do you have a hard time following my lessons?" At Sumgmin's timid nod he smiled gently and nodded back. "I figured as much. Might I suggest a tutor? It will help you learn the lessons and get caught up again."

"Do you really think so?" Sungmin asked softly.

"Yes, I have the perfect student in mind. He is in my AP Calculus class and one of my best students. I can ask him later today if you like?"

Sungmin thought about it for a minute. He was really needing the help, he couldn't afford to fail math now. But he wondered who this student tutor was, and if he really could help him. Seeing as he really didn't have a choice he finally gave a timid nod. Junghoon seemed pleased at this and smiled.

"Great! I will ask him after lunch. Stop by at the end of classes and I will let you know what he says, okay?"

"Yes sir." Sungmin replied with a bowed head. Grabbing his bag he quickly left the classroom and went straight to the cafeteria where his two friends were waiting. When he arrived he found them at their usual table fighting over the food on Eunhyuk's plate. Sungmin dropped in the seat across from them and dropped his face into his hands. The two stopped their daily fight to look at their obvious upset friend in concern.

"How did it go?" Eunhyuk asked gently.

"He wants me to get a tutor. He has someone in mind, but I don't know who it is. I am to stop by after classes to meet them." Sungmin explained calmly. The whole thing was very draining to him.

"Well whoever it is can't be bad if he is recommended by Junghoon. He may be a younger teacher, but he has good judgment for his students." Donghae replied confidently.

Sungmin had to nod in agreement. Junghoon was new to their school but he was a fair and popular teacher. Sungmin just hated to admit he was having trouble in his class. He could only hope that his tutor was someone who could actually help. With this in mind he ate the small lunch he had in his bag and tried to think positively for the rest of the day. If he stayed positive then it will all work out in the end.

***

Sungmin could not believe how wrong he was on the whole thing. When he went back to the math room after classes he was met with Junghoon and his tutor. Of course when he saw who was picked as his tutor he knew his life was over. Next to his teacher stood a young man who was a good couple of inches taller than Sungmin. His uniform was in good shape but his hair was a ratted mess. He had a bag slung over his shoulders and his attention was aimed at the handheld device in his hands. In front of Sungmin was probably one of the smartest kids in their whole school, and the most snarky. Cho fricken Kyuhyun.

"Ah, good to see you Sungmin. This is Kyuhyun. He has agreed to be your tutor for the next couple of weeks so you can get caught up in class. He is one of the best in math so I know you will do well. Kyuhyun, this is Lee Sungmin. He is in my Pre Calculus class and has been having some struggles with some of the current work."

Sungmin gave a polite bow to the younger who merely gave a halfhearted shrug of a shoulder in return. His hands were too busy clicking away on his gaming device. Junghoon released a sigh and reached over to take the gaming device out of the younger hands. Kyuhyun's head snapped up in surprise.

"Hey, I was almost done beating the game!"

"You are being rude right now." Junghoon snapped back darkly. "Nephew or not, I will not having you act like this towards another student. Behave or I will tell your mom."

"You are related?" Sungmin asked in a tight voice.

Junghoon looked up and smiled.

"Kyuhyun's mother is my sister. But it's not common information in the school. Anyways, family or not, he really is the best to tutor you right now. So I hope you two get along and you are able to get caught up in my class."

And with a final pat on both their shoulders the teacher left the room. Sungmin watched his teacher go and then turned to his new tutor. Kyuhyun had a look on his face like he was really bored and would love to be somewhere else besides this classroom. Sungmin knew he had to be the bigger person and held out his hand.

"Hello Kyuhyun-shi, I am Lee Sungmin. I hope we work well together."

"Whatever." Kyuhyun muttered in boredom. "The only reason I'm doing this is for my uncle. So you better not waste my time."

Sungmin bristled at the brats rude comments. But he had to maintain his politeness. It's not like he enjoyed the idea of being tutored, especially by a someone who was a grade below him. But it didn't mean he had to be insulted either.

"Don't worry. I won't be a burden. I would hate to conflict with your precious gaming schedule."

Kyuhyun looked at him with a unreadable look on his face before nodding. He picked up him bag on the floor and started to head to the door. When he arrived he glanced back at Sungmin who was rather confused by his actions.

"If you want we can start our study sessions after school tomorrow. We can meet here after classes."

"Why not today?"

Kyuhyun smirked.

"I have club activities today but don’t worry. I'll be sure to spend all my time with you tomorrow." He answered as he left the room.

Sungmin stood there for a moment with a blank look on his face. He wasn’t sure if the younger was flirting with him or not. And he wasn’t sure if he was bothered by it if he was. Deciding that the best thing to do was to get back home and call his friends on the matter he also left the classroom. He had a feeling the next few days will be interesting with his new tutor.

***

He hated it when he was right.

Cho Kyuhyun was a brilliant kid. He was able to do all of Sungmin's work in a moment and with accurate results. It was rather fascinating if it wasn’t for the fact he was also a huge about it. He would mock Sungmin constantly and scold him whenever he got anything wrong. He was a hard teacher, the type that Sungmin had always dreaded working with. And he made it hard for Sungmin to ask for any help because he couldn’t stand the insulting nature. So he continued to take the abuse every week as the tutoring session continued. Of course his two friends were not happy when they heard what was happening.

"Sungmin, you shouldn’t be letting this continue." Eunhyuk said with a worried voice. "You need to tell the teacher about this."

"Yeah, Kyuhyun may be a genius but he is still younger than you. He should be respectful to his seniors." Donghae agreed.

"Its fine." Sungmin said as he took a bite of his lunch. "I just have to deal with it until my grades improve enough for my teacher to decide I don’t need him anymore."

"And how are your grades."

Sungmin couldn’t help but smile slightly.

"Surprisingly, they are improving. Kyuhyun is an but for some reason what he is saying is starting to stick. Its interesting. I just wish he wasn’t such a brat."

The two nodded at this. They were going to continue when a new person joined their table. Looking up, Sungmin sudden smiled even more brightly.

"Shindong!" He said with a loud excited voice. He dropped his fork down to hug the slightly larger man.

"Hello Min." The man chuckled as he patted him on the head. "How have you been?"

"I've been all right." Sungmin replied as he let the man go. "But that's not important. How was your vacation to the States?"

"It was interesting. America is a unique place. I think I would like to study there in the future. LA and New York have some great opportunities available. But I have to ask. I hear you are being tutored by Cho Kyuhyun in math. Is that true?"

"Yeah. I'm struggling and he was picked to tutor me. What's wrong? You seemed surprised."

"Well yeah, Kyuhyun doesn’t tutor anyone. He always tells the teachers no, so the fact he agreed to work with you is shocking." Shindong narrowed his eyes suddenly. "How long have you been working with him."

"Almost a month."

The man raised an eyebrow but didn’t comment anymore. He merely stole some food off Sungmin's plate causing the younger to yell angrily. The rest of lunch ended without any incident. Sungmin found himself walking back to his class with Shindong next to him. Normally the larger man would head off for his next class but he insisted in walking the other. As they got to his class Sungmin was surprised to see Kyuhyun standing at the door. The younger took one look at Shindong and a dark scowl appeared on his face.

"Kyuhyun-shi, what are you doing here?" Sungmin asked surprised.

"Who is this?" Kyuhyun asked instead as he glared lightly at Shindong.

"Well aren't you a rude little kid." Shindong said with a chuckle. "I am your hyung and you should treat me with respect."

"Respect is something that is earned." Kyuhyun argued back. "Not given just because you are older than me."

Sungmin was surprised by the attitude that Kyuhyun was displaying. While he wasn’t the most friendlies person out there, he was not one to be out right rude to people either. He was about to step in and break the two up when Shindong draped an arm around his shoulder.

"I am Donghee, a friend of Sungmin's. But everyone calls me Shindong because of Donghae. And so you know, I have been friends with Sungmin since we were little kids. I know everything about him." He finished with a shark like grin.

The scowl on Kyuhyun's face was deeper and he looked ready to hurl some serious insults to the man but the warning bell prevented him from doing so. He instead turned to Sungmin.

"I came by to tell you that my club activities were canceled today and that we should have a study session after school because of it." He shot him a smirk. "And don’t bother telling me you have other plans already I know that you don’t."

Sungmin glared at him, but it came across as more of a pout, before nodding his head.

"Okay I will meet you at my locker then."

Kyuhyun merely nodded before walking past them. He made a point in bumping his shoulder against Shindong as he did. Sungmin was rather annoyed by the unusual childish nature and was going to apologize when Shindong laughed.

"That boy is so territorial." He muttered under his breath.

Sungmin didn’t seem to hear him and shot him a confused look. But his friend merely waved it off.

"Don’t worry Min. It's nothing. Anyways, I'll see you later today after your little study session okay?"

"Okay!"

Sungmin waved to his friend before going to his class. But what he didn’t see was Shindong's smirking face as he walked away.

***

The afternoon study session was easily becoming the most tense between the two men. Since the moment Sungmin met up with his younger tutor there has been an underlining awkward atmosphere between them. Kyuhyun barely spoke two words as he led the older to an empty class room and almost mutely told him to go to the current chapter of their math class. The pair worked silently on the problems with Kyuhyun merely writing the correct answers if Sungmin did it wrong, he didn’t even once for the mistakes. The whole thing was really starting to upset Sungmin because he began to think it was his fault the man was so silent, but he knew he didn’t do anything wrong!

He was about to finally gather his courage to actually speak to Kyuhyun when the younger beat him to it.

"What is your relationship with that Shindong person?" Kyuhyun inquired with a terse look on his face.

"Shindong?" Sungmin was confused but answered him. "Shindong is a friend of mine from my neighborhood. We have known each other since grade school. Why?"

"You've never spoken of him before. And I haven't seen him before."

"I don’t talk about any of my friends with you. As for not seeing him, well he was in America the last month with his parents." He replied with a shrug.

"So he's just a friend?" Kyuhyun echoed softly.

"Yes." Sungmin turned to him. "Is there a reason for these questions?"

Kyuhyun didn’t seem to hear him. He had a distant look on his face and was staring off into nothing. Sungmin sighed and went back to his homework. He was able to work through two problems before Kyuhyun cleared his voice. Sungmin looked up to see what the other wanted but was surprised when a pair of warm lips landed on his.

The kiss was short and abrupt. A moment there was something against his mouth and then it was gone leaving Sungmin to openly gape in surprise. He stared wide eyed at a suddenly bashful Kyuhyun who was keeping his gaze but had a rather bright flush appearing on his face. The pair stared at each other before Kyuhyun shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"Will you say something already." He grumbled under his breath.

"That was unexpected." Sungmin replied back in a soft voice.

"A good unexpected or bad?" He inquired with a hopeful look.

"An unexpected, unexpected." Sungmin said before he slowly smiled. "But I liked it."

"Yeah?" The hopeful look was brighter now.

"Yeah, but that doesn’t explain everything." He shot him a look. "Like why you have been such a brat this whole month."

Kyuhyun suddenly looked sheepish. The rather young look was refreshing on him and Sungmin almost wanted to coo at him. He propped his chin on a hand and waited for the other to speak.

"Well to be honest I've kind of liked you for a while now." Kyuhyun confessed. "As you know, my uncle is your math teacher and I have been at his room a couple of times to grab something while he was teaching. And I happened to notice you one day. But since we were in different levels and classes I knew I would never really get the chance to talk to you. So when Junghoon told me you were having trouble I was more than happy to volunteer to tutor you. As for the brat personality, well that’s just how I am to everyone."

Sungmin stared at him with a blank look as he took everything in before he smiled.

"You are full of surprises." He said with a grin. "Tell me Kyuhyun, what now?"

"Now? Well now is the point where I ask you out." Kyuhyun replied with a small smirk of his own. "And the part where you obviously say yes."

"Oh?"

"Yes, since you and I are the perfect pair. We have to date."

"I don’t know Kyuhyun. It might be frowned upon for a student to date their teacher." Sungmin teased.

Kyuhyun shot him and look before swooping in and pressing his lips against Sungmin's again. Sungmin made a pleased sound in the back of his throat before returning the kiss. The pair kissed each other for a few minutes before Kyuhyun pulled back when oxygen became a necessity.

"Well?"

Sungmin smiled. He leaned close to give him a final kiss.

"Sure. Its unexpected, but I think we can make it work."