22. Foreigner

100 Word Prompts

Title/Prompt: Foreigner

Author: Rosetta Stone

Pairing: HanChul

Rating: G

Summary: Out of everyone in the band, Kim Heechul was the only one who didn't treat Han Geng as a foreigner.

***

When Han Geng was chosen as the only Chinese member to join SM's new project group Super Junior 05 he was nervous, and skeptical. Nervous because his Korean was still sketchy at best and he still stumbled on his words, and skeptical because the whole idea seemed faulted at its best. The idea of a rotational group was unsettling to the Chinese Man. After all, that meant at some point he was going to be traded out as well. Probably for some other Chinese kid who was a lot younger. The idea brought a bile taste to his mouth. 

But despite the fact he was probably going to be let go at some point, Han Geng worked his hardest in the band. He along with the other eleven boys gave their everything to the band and the one opportunity to be considered something big. Something that everyone could be proud of. Something that the Korean people would embrace as the national band.

But unfortunately there was one small problem with this plan. Han Geng was not Korean. And so his place amongst the others was always divided. He looked different from them, spoke differently from them, and had his family farther away than any of them. During interviews he was practically ignored in favor of the leader Leeteuk, the diva Heechul, or the dance machine Eunhyuk. When they performed on TV he had to wear a mask that hid his identity because the company couldn’t get his visa stuff taken care of. The band however treated him like of his their own, a brother and good friend. And the one person who readily welcomed him in the folds of the company and band was their very own diva, Kim Heechul.

Heechul took one look at the different boy who was stuttering over butchered Korean, found him to be absolutely perfect, and called him his own. He would defend the man whenever he was teased by other trainees and taught him a bunch of Korean swear words. When Han Geng was homesick, Heechul comforted him. When the interview people ignored him, Heechul brought him in the conversation. And when he wore a mask, Heechul was the one to rip it off on national TV, and showed everyone who Han Geng really was. He became Han Geng's only friend until the band was formed. So Han Geng was always the most comfortable around the diva.

"Yah! China Man!" Heechul called from their bedroom. "I'm hungry, make me some Beijing Fried Rice."

Han Geng didn't say anything as he got off from the couch where he and the other dancers were watching videos of their last practice to see where they needed improvements. Donghae and Eunhyuk shot the man a sympathetic look while Shindong looked mildly annoyed that their session was being interrupted by Heechul a second time. The first was when the man needed Han Geng to help carry his shopping bags in to their room. Sungmin was the one who spoke up though.

"Hyung, why do you put up with that? It seems all that Heechul does is boss you around."

"It's not that bad Sungmin-ah." The Chinese man replied with a soft smile. "I don’t mind at all."

"But why?"

"Because Heechul is the only one who doesn't treat me like a Foreigner. Ever since the beginning Heechul was the only one who cared about me. So in return, I will always care about him more than anyone else."