Happy Holidays, got7islife

Who's My IGOT7 Santa? 2015

Gift for got7islife

Gift from ???

Title of the gift: Lifeguard

Pairing: JBxOC

How many words: 4046

Rating: I guess all ages?

Warnings: May contain harmful amounts of JB to your feels. Proceed at your own risk.


Note to my giftee: I wrote this story because the nickname Ace made me think of a sporty girl. I really hope you like it. :)


Lifeguard

 

I bent down to tie my sneakers and fixed my ponytail in front of the mirror. Everything all set. Just have to relax. I nervously straightened my t-shirt and took a deep breath before exiting the locker room.

Outside, the boys and the girls were already lined up listening the coach. I snuck behind them not wanting to be reprimanded because of my tardiness. As always, he looked like he was commanding his personal troops.

And, as your Commander,” yes, he referred himself as “Commander” “I won’t tolerate any less than victory. You were trained by an…”

“… ex-Olympic champion and sports personality like me...” I muttered under my breath as I repeated his same old speech. That’s Coach Kim Jongkook for ya. 39 years old and he would still probably kick my .

Now, don’t forget to remove all of your bracelets, earrings, etc. Especially you, girls! I shouldn’t have to say this by now!” Hiding my wrist behind my back, I made my way to the racing track “Come on, come on! Those competing now take your places; the rest stand by on the bench.”

My university held an athletic event every year, with all of the sports clubs competing against other universities’ clubs. This was also an opportunity for those who wanted to reach the higher leagues to impress the scouts. I somehow entered the race track club a couple of years ago and one thing led to another and I ended up here.

Look there, it’s JB.” Jimin cooed beside me. She had a crush on him since last year “You’re lucky he’s going to watch you race. He’s competing at the same time as me.”

How’s that being lucky?” I raised an eyebrow.

Because there’s a chance he might notice you.” I rolled my eyes at her logic “Don’t pretend. I’ve seen you checking him out too.”

I’m not going to lie. Im Jaebum was one fine piece of a guy, an outstanding specimen, not to mention part of the swimming team. But if you ask me if I programmed my life around him just to have a glimpse at his face and his bubble - like Jimin - I would say no.

I parted ways with my friend and started my warm-up. Half an hour later I was crouched on the ground, waiting for the gunshot. I kissed the good luck charm on my wrist. I shouldn’t be holding on to it after this much time but I got used to wear it.

The loud sound cut the air and my body flew forward, adrenaline running through my veins. I passed a runner, then another, until there was nothing in front of me but the finishing line. I gave on last effort and arrived first, collapsing on the ground almost afterwards. I lay down in starfish position, panting loudly, the air burning my lungs. My teammates came running and helped me up.

That’s our Ace!” Jimin yelled putting an arm around my shoulders.

Congrats, that was awesome!”

First place!”

I stopped paying attention when I noticed a pair of dark eyes staring at me. Seating on the grass, JB was talking with his friends but never took his eyes off me. My heart fluttered for a moment, but I smirked at him. I had this bad habit of wanting to look tough. Falling for me already, swimmer boy? A little taken aback with my attitude, he smiled and stood up. He told something to his friends and they walked towards us, following him. I grimaced when I noticed Jr. was coming too.

Hey. Nice performance there.” I uncomfortably thanked him “You can all watch us compete, after all we’re in the same team.”

Yeah thanks, we’ll see what we can do.” I played difficult, scratching my temple.

As I did that Jr. caught the movement and noticed my bracelet. He pursed his lips and I quickly hid it.

Okay then... See you around.” JB said perplexed, feeling the awkward atmosphere. The swimming team walked away and I finally breathed.

Ohmygosh!” Jimin squealed “Did you see that?! The swim team talked to us!”

 

 

The next few weeks were a game of cat and mouse. Every time we passed each other on the hallways, we would always engage an unspoken staring competition. This was harder for me, as I had Jimin always fangirling over him all the time.

That was until the sports committee ruined my life.

No!” I hit my hand on the table hoping it would make me look more threatening but failed miserably. “I refuse. What if I want to focus on my classes?”

The other students looked as me as if I was crazy. Six of the top athletes from various clubs were chosen to participate in a triathlon against other universities and I, somehow, was part of them.

Ace,” Coach tried to convince me “you wouldn’t do that to me would you?”

He opened his eyes more than normal and I knew the conversation was over. The Queen of England could come and try to defend me, but what Kim Jongkook wants, Kim Jungkook gets.

Ace.” JB called when we left the meeting because of course he would be there “That’s a pretty conceited way of referring to yourself.”

It’s a nickname.” I deadpanned.

Are you going to tell me your real name?”

No.” I didn’t know why he bothered asking me, he could see for himself on my schedule sheet or my student card.

I’m going to practice. Do you want to come?” He asked slinging his gym bag on his shoulder.

Duh. What choice do I have?” I followed him to the pool. Our schedules were already handed down to us and we had swimming practice today.

 

Coming to practice” didn’t mean “actually practicing” so I just sat near the pool watching the others swim. I would stand my ground until Coach got sick of me and replace me for somebody else.

Come on, Ace.” Minzy, a girl that ran the marathons called “I’ll treat you for dinner, maybe I’ll bribe you into participating.”

Tempting offer, but unfortunately I have to refuse.” I laughed and she shrugged before heading for the showers with the other students.

Oh, you’re smiling. Shame it isn’t at me though.” JB appeared beside me and sweet mother of Jesus! I was glad Jimin wasn’t with me or else she would have a seizure. His hair was wet, with tiny droplets of water falling on his chiseled chest and swimming shorts that showed his Jaebooty.

Why aren’t you swimming? Do you have body complexes or something? Because you seem to be just right.” He asked.

Did you see what they make us wear when we run? The swimsuit is less revealing than those things they call top and shorts.” I looked away from him.

Are you on your period?”

No!”

Then why?” What a nosy guy.

I just don’t want to participate.”

Is that so…?” JB scratched his chin.

He suddenly grabbed me by the waist and lifted me, carrying me towards the pool. I fought back, kicking and flaying my arms around but he withstood it.

JB! What the hell are you doing?!” I yelled.

I’ll let go if you tell me your name.” He kept me on the edge of the pool, holding me in the air and threatening to let me fall in the water.

Jaebum!”

He wobbled, pretending to lose balance.

Jaebum! I can’t swim. Please!” My arms circled his neck, almost chocking him, and he finally brought me safely to secure ground.

Was it that hard?” He patted my head.

Wait.” I stepped away from him “You knew?”

Yeah, I was pretty sure. You stayed at least five meters away from the pool and you always pretended not to hear when the others called you.”

You’re a jerk.” I picked up my things and started to walk away.

Why didn’t you just said you can’t swim? I’m sure they would understand.” He followed me, not seeming bothered by only being in swimming shorts.

Because I know how to swim. I just can’t.” I tried to explain the best I could. “Recently, I can’t seem to enter the water. And you know how my coach is, he wouldn’t let me quit because of that.”

Humm…” He seemed to pounder about it. “Go put on your swimsuit. I’ll help you.”

Really?” I was skeptical about it. But I would do anything not to embarrass myself on the next competition. “And how do you plan on doing that?”

I’m the best swimmer on my team. I’ll think of something.”

Great.” I rolled my eyes, turning away and hearing him diving into the water once again.

I went to the locker rooms and put on my swimsuit. My hands were shaking and tried to hide them by gripping harder on my swimming cap.

Don’t be nervous.” JB said when I approached the edge of the pool. “I’m here.”

Strangely enough, that was reassuring and he knew that because he gave me an encouraging smile. With new found confidence, I sat down with my legs in the water. I moved them back and forward trying to build up some courage to enter the pool. JB grabbed my hands and pulled me in his direction, making me awkwardly splash into the water.

I had to stand in my tiptoes to keep my nose out of the water and be able to breathe. JB seemed to find it funny because the water only reached his chest. He continued to lead me to the deep part of the pool and loosening gradually the grip on my hand. However, as soon as he was out of my reach, I started to panic. My breathing accelerated as I fought to keep myself afloat. My limbs didn’t seem to cooperate and I only appeared to be sinking in that water prison. I felt my conscience slipping away and it scared me. I scolded myself for agreeing to enter the water again and believing I wouldn’t end up drowning.

Two strong arms grabbed me by the waist and helped me return to the surface. JB let me cling to his body like a koala, and I curled my legs around his torso and hugged his neck as hard as I could. He brought me back to the shallow end of the pool and patted my head until my breathing eased.

“Ace,” he said, trying to release himself from my arms. I shook my head and hid my face on the curve of his neck “Ace, you have to let go now. I can’t carry you out of the pool. I know I’m strong but I’m not superman.”

I appreciated his effort to try to ease the tension. Slowly, I untangled myself from him, stretching my legs hesitantly as if I wasn’t sure if the bottom was there. I was still trembling from the shock, so JB had to help me climb the ladder.

“Do you want to try again?” JB dropped a towel on my shoulders and sat on the bench next to me.

“You think?” I glared at him but he didn’t look fazed.

“What happened that left you like that?”

“It not something I’m proud of, it makes me feel like a homewrecker. I…” I found myself telling him something I never said to anyone. There was something about this boy that made me feel safe, protected “I was in love with this guy who just played me and tossed me to the side. We agreed on not telling anyone about our relationship, and I was dumb enough to fail to realize that something was wrong. One day, I received a message to meet him here at the pool. Only when I came I realized that it wasn’t him waiting for me, but a girl that claimed she was her girlfriend. I told her she was wrong, but he appeared and confirmed it. Worse, he acted like he didn’t know me. The girl was so pissed at me, she pushed me and I fell into the pool.”

“And he didn’t do anything?”

“No, he just walked away with her. I got so upset I had a panic attack and barely managed to reach the ladder. I still wonder how I didn’t drown that day.” I touched the bracelet on my wrist.

“I’ll punch him in the face when I meet him, don’t worry.” He patted my thigh “What about that?”

“This?” I followed his gaze and showed him my wrist “It’s a bracelet he gave me. I should have stopped using it but it became kind of an amulet.”

“Can I see it?” He asked and I nodded, placing the silver chain on his palm “Well, here it goes!”

With a swift movement, JB swung his arm back and threw it to the middle of the pool.

“What did you do?!” I screamed in horror, knowing I could never go and grab it “Return it!”

“No, you’re going to do that yourself.” He shook his head “You’re going to dive into that pool right now or learn to live without that bracelet. Your choice.”

“You know I can’t, so why are you doing this?”

“To help you.” He said before standing up and going to the showers.

 

 

The next weeks were a blur. I was a sleepy mess most of the time, dividing my time between classes, training and special lessons with JB, who insisted on walking me to practice every day. He seemed to be pretty invested on turning me into a fish, which didn’t surprised me, due to the rumors I already had heard about him.

But above all of this, everything seemed more difficult and frightening without my bracelet. I felt a void, like my wrist was too light or missing something. I had to get that bracelet back. I felt like everything went wrong without it.

 

 

On one of those practice nights, Coach Kim came to talk to us, telling us the triathlon was cancelled due to the bad weather. There was a typhoon warning and the chairman considered it was too dangerous to hold such a large scale event during the storm.

“Looks like your rain dances worked.” JB laughed at me when Kim Jungkook left. “Can you tell me your real name now?”

“No.”

“Come on, how will I find out? There’s no practice anymore.”

“Then I guess you don’t need to help me any longer.” I told him. I thought it was the best. Now that I didn’t need him survive, I wanted to put some distance between me and him. I didn’t like how his smile made me feel weak in the knees and his voice made my heart beat faster. I wasn’t getting mixed up with another swimmer boy and having my heart broken. Again.

“Why not?” It seemed like the thought never crossed his mind.

“I can pretty much at a decent level now. I don’t want to burden you anymore.”

“You’re not a burden. I told you I was going to teach you, I’m not-”

“I don’t need you anymore.” I realized the words sounded meaner than I intended.

“Is that so?” JB raised an eyebrow, annoyed “Good luck with getting your precious good luck charm back.”

 

 

Out of stubbornness, I went to the pool. I was confident I would be able to get the bracelet back and prove JB I had surpassed my trauma.

I put on my swimsuit and I entered the warm water. Luckily, there was nobody around, so I would be able to try as many times as I needed without people mocking me. In secure steps I went deeper and deeper until I had no footing. I swam to the end of the pool, and looked down. The bracelet glinted like a hidden sea treasure. I had the guts to dive but I didn't reach it the first time. I tried again and again, starting to get frustrated. I dived one more time and my fingers grazed the bracelet. Despite the tiny victory, I was getting tired and my lungs were starting to ache for air. I was reaching for the surface but suddenly I felt a leg cramp. It hurt so bad that I lost control over my breathing and started to panic. I clawed my throat, attempting to breathe as I felt my conscience drifting off. I couldn’t believe I killed myself for a stupid bracelet. With that last thought, I out.

 

I woke up feeling a sharp pain across my cheek, someone had slapped me. Before I could process what happened, I felt a pair of soft lips on my mouth. Opening up my eyes, I turned to the side and coughed all the water that was in my lungs.

When the cough fitting died down, I turned to the person who had saved me. He definitely wasn’t someone I was expecting.

Jr.?!” I was afraid I was seeing things after my near death experience.

Are you okay?” He asked worried, his hair dripping and his clothes completely wet. He helped me stand up and wrapped me in a towel.

Yes, thank you.” I couldn’t help but shy away from his touch.

Oh, sorry.” Jr. sounded guilty “Here.”

He let the silver chain fall on my palm, carefully avoiding touching me.

"You're really still wearing the present I gave you when we started dating."

"Yeah, I cou-"

Out of nowhere, a fist came flying and Jr. fell on the floor. I looked up and JB was panting like an enraged bull.

"It was you?" he asked, his eyes showing both guilt and betrayal. Seeing Jr. didn't say anything, he took it as a yes "Wow, of all of the people it had to be you."

"What the hell are you doing?!" I screamed at him.

"I told you I would punch the guy that hurt you in the face when I met him, I just never thought he would be someone I already knew."

"Stop it. If Jr. hadn't saved me right now, I would have drowned." I gestured at him and JB caught a glimpse of the bracelet on my wrist.

"Yeah, like you almost did the first time?" His eyes shot daggers at me.

"Wha-"

"Don't worry Ace, I deserved that." Jr. spoke behind me massaging his jaw. "I better go and leave you two sorting things out. I’ll talk with you later."

And he left, looking at me one last time before deciding to leave me there with JB.

"What's wrong with you?" I pushed his chest when Jr. was out of earshot. "Why did you return here anyways?"

"I figured your obstinate self would come here to prove me wrong and kill herself in the process.”

I didn’t make it, if you’re wondering.” I looked away humiliated.

Yeah, I noticed you found someone to do that for you.” JB smiled and bit his lip before continuing “I hope you two are finally happy.”

No, it’s not like tha-”

You don’t need to explain, Ace. I know you still have feelings for him.” He then patted my shoulder “I’ll help you in every way I can. Just don’t let your coach see you kissing that bracelet every time you race or he’ll confiscate it. ”

After that, he walked out and I knew the conversation was over.

 

 

“What’s wrong with you today?” Jimin snapped her fingers in front of my face, making me return to earth.

“Nothing.”

“I noticed you and JB have been avoiding each other.” She raised an eyebrow at me “Lover’s quarrel?”

“No.” I narrowed my eyes at her “Looking for a chance to hit on him?”

“Uh, no.” She sipped on her coffee “I’m dating Jackson.”

“But didn’t you like JB?!” I asked flabbergasted.

“Listen, sweetheart, JB is easy on the eyes, yes, but first: I know you like him and second: I prefer my wild and y Jackson Wang.”

“I don’t li-”

“Don’t bother denying it, Ace. It’s written all over your face. Do you think I don’t notice every time we enter a room and your eyes deliberately search for him?” She gave a knowing look but cut me some slack “By the way, Jr. was looking for you. I wonder what it might be…”

I sighed and got up from my chair “I wonder too...”

 

I went to find Jr. which wasn’t too difficult. After asking a few of his teammates, I found him playing on his phone, sitting near the football field.

“Hey, I heard you were looking for me.” I said as I approached him.

“I was.” He gestured for me to sit “Listen, JB told me about everything. That’s why he got so mad. He came to me asking for help with the girl he had a crush on. He explained to me what her ex-boyfriend did to her and about the bracelet she always carried. That’s when I realized it was you.”

I couldn’t get any words out. JB had a crush on me? Jr. and JB talked about me? Jr. knew how brokenhearted he left me?

“I understand nothing I can do or say can excuse what happened, but I swear I didn’t knew about your panic attack and how that scarred you. I was a coward back then, I didn’t have the guts to treat you right and own my mistakes. And for that I’m sorry.” He held my hand like it was going to break “But don’t push JB away because of my mistakes. He really treasures you and only did what was best for you. And I know you like him too.”

“I can’t. I can’t go through another-” I shook my head.

“He’s not me, Ace. Take that risk.” Jr. encouraged me, which wasn’t awkward. At all. “There’s one hour until practice starts, but you know where he is, right?”

I sighed when I realized what he meant. The pool, of course. I finally gave in and smiled genuinely, for the first time in months, and Jr. seemed relieved.

“Jr.” I said “You can have this back. Thanks and… I forgive you.”

I my heels and dashed across the campus, leaving the bracelet I carried on my wrist everyday on the bench next to Jr., who had a serene smile on his lips.

By the time I reached the pool, I was out of breath. As I had predicted, JB was already swimming. I took my shoes off and jumped into the water, not caring about my clothes and catching him on surprise.

“Are you crazy?!” He grabbed me easily and I coiled myself around him like a snake “What are you doing when you can barely dive?”

I trusted you would catch me.” I answered honestly “You always do.”

“Ace, you…” He seemed taken aback with my reply.

“I’m saying that I trust you, do I need to spell it out for you?” I hugged him tighter “So, please, don’t let me go.”

“Never.” He whispered.

Our wet lips finally met in a cold but tender kiss. JB pushed me against the side of the pool and I could hear his raging heart against my chest, as my hands travelled across his hair and chest. He tightened the grip around my waist but stopped before one of us went too far.

He gave me a playful butterfly kiss on the nose, before taking me back to the middle of the pool.

“ that I have to be the adult here.” He bit back a smile.

“Then don’t be.” I teased.

“You do realize I have your life in my hands right now, don’t you?” He looked around the empty pool and smirked at me.

“Then I guess I’ll have to make you my personal lifeguard.” I grinned back.

“I think I would like that.” He mumbled as I rested my head on the curve of his neck. “Ace.”

“Mmmm?” I was almost asleep even though I was surrounded by water. That’s how relaxed he made me feel.

“What’s your real name?”

“You’re still obsessed with that?”

I raised my head and looked in his eyes. I could see this was something important to him. Leaning closer, I whispered against his lips.

It’s… ”