Night Light

Do You See Me?

It had been a couple of weeks since Jungkook and I had called a truce, and things seemed much better. Of course, he was still awkward around me, but it's the effort that counts, right? Hyerin had also forced us to exchange numbers, taking our phones and punching in the digits herself. He would occasionally call me late at night to rant and vent, since I was the only one who listened to him patiently.

Not that I'm complaining.

"You know," I held the phone between my shoulder and ear. "You should really be asleep by now. It's almost 1:00 A.M."

"You're awake too." He mumbled sleepily, which made me giggle.

"Yeah, well, I'm older than you so I need less sleep." I lectured. "You need to sleep well to be healthy and fit."

"Shut up, you're like a year older than me." He grumbled.

"Two years." I corrected. "And what's with that informal language? That's not how you talk to your elders." I put the speaker on and set the phone on my desk.

"I don't really see you as someone who deserves respect, cause you're-" 

"Jungkook." I warned him.

"....a nice person who seems very young from the outside. What's your secret to that flawless skin?" He chuckled nervously.

"Nice save, kid." I commented, before I took out my notebook. "Ahh, I'm so sick of this stupid essay."

"You're still working on that? I finished it like, two days ago." He said proudly, rubbing it in my face.

"Ugh, seriously?" I muttered, running a hand through my hair. "It feels like I'm the only one staying true to the truce." 

"Wait, what do you mean staying true to the truth? I don't get it." 

"Truce, you idiot, not truth." I sighed in frustration.

"Oh." He said softly. "I thought I was holding up my end pretty well."

"You are, but you just slip into that competitive mindset waaay too often." I scribbled some notes in my notebook.

"I can't help it." He sighed. "You and I have identical minds, so I feel like you're a worthy opponent to compete against."

I blushed slightly. "Hmm, well, just keep trying." I said, drawing a little doodle of him in the margin.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?" He asked abrubtly.

"Nope. Don't want one until I'm at least 21." I declared, trying to play it cool.

"Really? That's awfully moral of you." He said, in a tone that seemed to be very mocking.

"What about you? Ever had a girlfriend?" I asked, ignoring his witty comment.

"Once, in the 2nd grade." He reminisced. "We were together for two weeks, but then she dumped me for the guy who owned the 50-crayon pack."

I could hardly contain my laughter as I pictured a young, heartbroken Jungkook. "So tragic~" I sniffled, pretending to cry.

"She was such a crayon digger. After that, I couldn't talk to any girls because I was so hurt." He sighed dramatically, making me snicker.

"What would your ideal date be like?" I asked him quietly, remembering the time Hyerin had asked me the same question.

"Um, I would take my girlfriend to a restaurant which has a big buffet. I want someone who loves to eat, so I can buy lots of food and feed her."

"But won't that make her fat?" I inquired, doodling on my paper absentmindedly.

"I guess. But that's ok, because if she does, I will eat a lot of food and become fat too. Then we can roll around and be two fat dumplings together."

I smiled at his words. "That's adorable~" I cooed, picturing me and him as dumplings.

 

We talked about random things for a while, after which I turned my attention to finishing my paper. I finished writing around 2:00 and stretched my arms, feeling sleepy. Jungkook wasn't saying anything anymore, so I thought he had finally fallen asleep. I my night light and crawled into bed, placing the phone beside me.

"Jungkook." I whispered. "Are you still awake?"

"You betcha." He said, sounding oddly energetic. "I go hardcore, yo."

I laughed sleepily, snuggling under the blanket. "I'm reaaally shleeeeepy." I slurred.

He didn't say anything in response, but just started humming.

"Mmm." I smiled, looking at the patterns the light created on my ceiling. "Isn't this from 'You're Beautiful'?"

"Without Words." He said quietly, and continued to hum.

"I love this song." I yawned. "You're gonna make me fall asleep."

"That's the point." I heard him chuckle. "You need to wake up early tomorrow, we have to finish our project."

"But tomorrow's Saturday!" I whined, playing with the stitches on my blanket.

"Deadline's on Monday. Better get it over with." He told me calmly. "Meet me at the library at 9:00."

"Too early~" I continued to whine, burying my face in my pillow.

I heard him sigh. "9:30, and not a minute late. I'll buy you some cake if you'd like."

"Deal!" I squealed, feeling energized by the thought of cake.

"Now shhh, go to sleep. Goodnight." He said, but I interrupted him before he could hang up.

"Noooooooo, keep singing." I demanded, closing my eyes.

He chuckled again and started to hum the same song for a few more minutes. 

"Goodnight Saint Jihye~" He teased, after humming the last verse.

"Goodnight, you little brat." I retorted, half-asleep.

I looked at the phone as he hung up and sighed softly. "Your girlfriend is gonna be one lucky ." I muttered to myself, before falling asleep.