December 22nd

Do You See Me?

I opened my eyes, staring at my ceiling like I did every morning. A little piece of plaster came off and fell on my face, but I just laughed. My 17th birthday. It was my 17th birthday today.

I turned to my side, smiling when I saw the multitude of birthday cards by my bedside. It was a tradition in our family to mail their wishes instead of text them, so over the years I had filled up around eight big boxes full of letters. Jungkook had said he was going to give me one too, but in person. Today was going to be great.

Hyerin burst through the door right then, squealing like an idiot. 

"MY SON IS ALL GROWN UP!" She yelled, jumping on top of me, making me scream.

"Get off!" I hissed. "What the hell do you eat? Slabs of iron?"

She pinched my cheek. "Now that you've finally turned 17, do you think it's acceptable to talk to me that way? Where's the respect?"

"You're two months older to me, for God's sake." I huffed, trying to shove her off.

"You're so ungrateful!" She cried. "Many people would die to have such a caring friend like me, someone who would celebrate their friend's birthday like I am!"

"Yeah, people would really die." I gritted my teeth. "Hyerin, I swear, my lungs are going to collapse."

"Fine." She pouted, and rolled off the bed. I sat up, clutching my chest in excruciating pain.

"So weak." She shook her head. I flipped her off and picked up my phone, looking to see what texts I had missed. The only message I had received was from the Snapchat team. They wished me happy birthday too.

"Forever alone?" Hyerin sang, mocking me. I stuck my tongue out at her, and went back to my phone. Nothing from Jungkook yet. 

"I don't really know what to do today." I yawned. "We aren't even having a big party or anything."

"As long as you have cake, I'll be here." 

"Cake-digger." I mumbled. "By the way, Jungkook's bringing the cake."

Hyerin's ears perked up at his name. "You guys made up?"

"Mhmm." I got up and dusted my bed. "We're cool now."

"What did he say?" She persisted.

"He said sorry." I adjusted my pillow. Jungkook's snapback was still nestled in a corner of the bed.

"Nothing else?" She helped me fold the covers. "He just said sorry?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary." I looked at her. "Why are you being so inquisitive? Did you plan out his words for him?"

"No, why would I do that?" She flapped her hand. 

I stared at her in amusement. "You seem awfully suspicious."

"Stop making up conspiracies." She clicked her tongue. "Go get dressed. We're going out."

"I don't wanna..." I whined. "Can't I just stay at home and draw?"

"No." She folded her arms. "Kids your age should play outside."

"You're worse than my own mom." I rolled my eyes. "Just go marry Junghyun and have babies. That'll satisfy your need to be a mother hen."

"Shut up." Her cheeks flushed red. I wiggled my eyebrows, thoroughly enjoying this.

"Your thirst is showing Hyerin~" I sang. "You're just waiting for a piece of that a-"

"Shut the up." She hissed, pushing me into the bathroom. "Now go get dressed, or else I'll tell Jungkook you like him."

"You wouldn't dare." I smirked.

", try me."

I held my hands up in surrender and obeyed her. She could be really scary sometimes.

 

Jungkook's POV:

"I'll be right there. Thank you." I said, ending the call.

"Who was that?" Alice asked, playing with my fingers.

"Work." I sighed. "They want me to come down to Seoul to finalize some paperwork at BigHit. I'm going to be leaving soon, you know."

"I know." She pouted. "Why don't you just come with us? Our car's going to be here any minute now."

"Nah, that's ok." I smiled. "You guys go ahead. I'll take care of some stuff and then leave."

Her dad called out to her then, telling her to hurry up. 

"See you in a few days." I kissed her cheek.

"Yep." She grinned widely. "It'll be so much fun when you finally come to Seoul."

"Yeah." I laughed. "Bye, Alice."

"Bye, my little Kookie." She hugged me, kissing me one last time. I ruffled her hair as she opened the front door and left. 

 

"My little Kookie?" My mom laughed. "Since when have you allowed that nickname?"

I rolled my eyes, ignoring her comment. "I need to go Seoul today, mom."

"I see." She avoided eye contact with me. I could tell she was upset.

"I'll be back tonight, though." I wrapped my arms around her.

"I know, sweetie." She my hair. "It's just that you're leaving in three days, and I would rather you spend all of your time with us instead of shuttling back and forth, you know?"

"I know." I sighed heavily. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Her voice comforted me. "I'm so proud. My little baby is going to be a- what's it called- rock star."

"Not a rock star." I giggled. "An idol."

"Same thing." She tsked. "Since when did you grow taller than me? I remember when you barely even reached my waist."

"I'm going to grow even taller." I grinned.

"You better not." She warned me. "You need to stay little forever."

I kissed her forehead before letting her go.

"Do you want me to pack you lunch?" She asked, adjusting my jacket. 

"No, I'll be having lunch with Tae and Jimin." I checked my phone. Alice had send me a heart, so I texted her a heart too.

"All right." She patted my hair. "You know which train to take, right?"

"Yep." I smiled. "Don't worry."

"Don't talk to strangers." She walked with me outside. "Look both ways before crossing."

"Wow, I didn't know that at all mom. Thanks!" I said sarcastically.

"Boy, that better not be sarcasm in your voice." She shook a finger at me. 

"Sorry ma'am." I looked at my shoes.

"That's right." She turned to my dad, who just seemed to have come out for the morning paper. "Dear, Jungkook's leaving for Seoul. He'll be back tonight."

My dad didn't respond. He picked up the newspaper and shut the door, not even bothering to acknowledge my presence.

"It's ok, sweetheart." She whispered. "Give him some time."

"I know." I smiled sadly. "Bye mama."

"Goodbye." She kissed my cheek. "Be careful and come back soon."

"I will." I assured her, before turning around and leaving. As I walked away, I felt like I was forgetting something. Did I leave something at home? Was I missing anything? What the hell was I forgetting?

 

Jihye's POV:

"Happy Birthday!" My dad grinned as Hyerin and I entered the house. It was late evening, and the house was already filled with my cousins and family.

"Thanks, dad." I hugged him. "Where were you this morning?"

"I woke up early to buy you something." He scooted closer to me and pulled a plastic bag out of his coat. "Here. Don't let your mom find out."

"What is it?" I examined the gift wrapped box inside the bag.

"It's that really good drawing paper you wanted. Along with pencils." He smiled. "Take care of it."

I squealed and hugged my dad again. "Thank you so much!" I nearly yelled, but he shushed me.

"Just because you aren't doing art in college doesn't mean you can't draw." He patted my head. My dad was really the only one who encouraged my drawing, unlike my mom.

"Mom's going to be so mad." I giggled.

"Exactly." He put a finger to his lips. "Hide this in your room somewhere where she'll never find it."

I nodded and trotted up to my room, Hyerin following me.

"Man, fancy this." She opened the wrapping as we sat on the bed. "This is like the best birthday gift ever."

"I know right!" I hugged the drawing book. "Speaking of which, where's your gift?"

"Ah, yes." She cleared , getting up. "I, Lee Hyerin, do hereby declare that Choi Jihye has full permission to borrow my clothes as she pleases."

"Holy ." I gasped. "Are you serious?"

"Yes." She smiled boldly. "Unfortunately, however, you will find that none of them fit you."

I glared at her. "Why not?"

"Because I'm two dress sizes smaller." She laughed haughtily. "Bet you didn't know that, did ya?"

" you." I grumbled, chucking a shoe at her. I flopped on the bed and checked my phone. Tae and Jimin had spammed me with birthday messages, but Jungkook hadn't said anything yet. Maybe he was waiting for a big reveal or something.

"Come on, Jihye." Hyerin tugged at my legs. "Let's get the party started."

"Not without Jungkook." I got up and pushed her downstairs. "He's bringing the cake, remember?"

"Ugh, fine." She crossed her arms.

"I'll go wait outside." I looked out the window. "Just in case."

She started to say something, but stopped abruptly. "Alright. Don't wait too long, ok?"

I nodded and stepped outside. Holy , it was freezing. I sat down on the front porch, wrapping my arms around myself. He'll be here soon.

 

"Jihye." I heard Hyerin behind me. "Come on, you need to come in. It's been two hours."

"No." My teeth chattered. 

"It's getting late." She put her hand on my shoulder. Your dad already bought a cake."

"I don't care." I said firmly. "I'm not coming in yet."

"Jihye, please-"

"I said I'm not coming in!" I yelled. "Go cut the cake without me."

I could hear her hesitate behind me. "Just leave, Hyerin. Please."

"Fine." She sighed, and I heard the front door open and close. 

This wasn't right. He hadn't forgotten. Maybe he was stuck in traffic. Or maybe his phone stopped working. He couldn't forget. He said he was going to buy me cake. He said he was going to give me a card. He had said I was important to him. He had, hadn't he? Or was that a dream?

I shook my head. I was going to wait until he showed up. Because I was important to him.

 

I waited for a long time. Then, when the sun rose and colored the sky a light orange, I got up and went inside. 

Happy birthday to me.