Hot Sauce

Do You See Me?

Hyerin's POV:

Jihye had come to my house late last night, grumpy and annoyed. I was already in bed by then, watching Harry Potter with a bucket of hot wings on my lap and a bottle of coke by my side. She stormed into my room and collapsed on the bed.

"I swear to god, I feel like killing that son of a sometimes." She said, covering her face with her hands.

"You guys seemed to behave civilized around each other for once." I commented, the extra sauce off my fingers. "What did he say this time?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary. But see, that's the thing." She sighed, turning on her stomach. "Every time we start to have a normal conversation, he gets all awkward and uncomfortable. And to be honest, I'm getting really sick of having to insult each other all the time. Like, I want to be able to congratulate him or compliment him without being spiteful about it."

"So tell him that." I said, without looking away from my laptop. 

"But how? I can't just go up to him and be all like 'hey, let's not insult each other anymore'!" She cried, flailing her arms.

"That's precisely what you say. I'm pretty sure he's tired of it too." I held her arms down.

"But what if he isn't? What if he says 'oh no I enjoy insulting you! Why would you think I wanna be your friend?'" She grumbled, mimicking his voice.

"Geez, just listen to yourself. You're gonna tell him how you feel tomorrow in school, and that's that." I scolded, clapping a hand over before she could protest. "Now, focus on Draco and his hotness instead."

She nodded and crept under the blanket, pulling it up to her nose. "I liked his look in the third movie the best."

"Girl please, he would look hot in any look." I laughed.

"Amen to that!" She exclaimed, munching on a piece of chicken.

 

The next day, as Jihye and I walked into school, we spied a huge crowd gathered near the library.

"What do you think is going on?" She said, standing on her toes to get a better look.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "We've got some time before class starts, so let's go check it out."

As we approached the crowd, a girl from our class spotted us and ran to us. 

"Hey, what's going on?" I asked, observing her panicked expression.

"Your friend, Jungkook." She exhaled, panting. "He said something really bad to the principal's kid, and he's about to get his whooped. Hurry!" She grabbed us by the wrist and pulled us to the crowd. Jihye and I weaseled our way through and collectively gasped at what we saw.

Minjae, the principal's son had grabbed Jungkook by his collar and was getting ready to er punch him in the face. "Oh my god, Jihye." I whispered. "He's gonna kill him!" 

"Oh, screw this." She said, before she jumped between them. Minjae let go of him, startled. Jihye struck a defensive pose, protecting Jungkook.

"What the do you think you're doing?!" He yelled, causing Jungkook to flinch. But she just looked at him with her killer -face, not showing the slightest bit of fear.

"Preventing you from losing your scholarship."

All of the students simultaneously looked at him with a confused face.

"What?" He asked, glaring back at her.

"If your dad finds out that you punched a student, you can kiss goodbye to your luxurious life." She stated calmly. "Which means you won't get to go to that college you've been boasting about."

"Oh yeah? Who's gonna tell him?" He asked again, in a very threatening tone.

Jihye simply raised her eyebrow. "Who do you think?"

"You wouldn't dare." He smirked, but I detected fear in his voice.

"Oh, I would. Trust me." She replied coolly. "So if you just turn around and walk away, just simply walk away, my lips would be sealed."

He glared at her some more, but I could tell he was thinking. I think she knew that too.

"Come on, Minjae. This guy isn't worth giving up your car, much less your freedom in college. So, what do you say?" She asked him again.

"Fine." He said after some time. "But tell your friend to watch his punk- mouth, because I'm not gonna hesitate next time." He added, shooting a Jungkook a scary look.

"Duly noted." 

And just like that, he was gone. The crowd applauded her and then dispersed, leaving me, her and Jungkook behind.

"You." She said pointing to him. "I need to talk to you. Let's go." She dragged him away before he could say anything.

I sighed as I watched her leave with him. She was never gonna stop baffling me.

 


Jihye's POV:

Both of us walked in silence for a bit. I was still recovering from the scene that had just taken place, before he stopped suddenly.

"I thought you wanted to talk." He said, putting his hands in his pocket. "You aren't talking at all."

"Well, first of all, you're welcome." I folded my arms. "Second, you could drop the idiotic, cocky front and talk to me like a normal person. I mean, is it really that hard to go five seconds without mocking me?"

He looked down at his shoes and said nothing. I went on, taking his silence as a cue to keep talking

"Like yesterday, for example. It was such a happy day, both of us won awards, but you were so awkward and comfortable that it completely threw me off. Yeah, the incessant teasing was cute at first, but now it's just annoying." I ranted, having no intention of stopping. "Aren't you sick of it?"

He peeked up at me. "I am.." He mumbled quietly. "But you teased me too, so.."

"I only ever started because you did. I don't like picking fights with people who have done nothing to me." I grumbled. " However, I'm not the kind of person that takes people's bull either."

"So if I stop teasing you, you'll stop teasing me?" He asked, sounding like a little kid making a playground bet.

"Most definitely." I reassured him. "You wanna call a truce?"

"Sure, let's do that." He smiled a little. "But, it's gonna take some time for me to get accustomed to not mocking you."

"I understand. You don't have to stop completely, though. You are welcome to be as cynical as you want when I do something stupid. And no more competing, I'm too lazy to be on top of things all the time." I said, shaking a finger at him. He simply nodded and crossed his heart.

"Does this officially make us friends?" Jungkook asked me, as we started walking back to class.

"I guess." I shrugged. "We're a little friendlier than frenemies, but not as friendly as, say, Hyerin and me."

He pouted, making me laugh. 

"You smell like hot sauce." He commented suddenly, sniffing my hair. Of course, that made me blush.

"Stop, you're being creepy." I complained, pushing him away.

"I'm not the one who mysteriously smells like hot sauce! Did you bathe in it?" He slung his arm around my neck, making me blush even more. "Geez, you're even turning red."

"Shut up." I giggled, not making an effort to remove his arm from around me. "What did you say to Minjae?" 

"I just pointed out the fact that he spends so much time around the class president. I thought it was odd, that's it." He sighed, looking at the ceiling.

"Well, no wonder." I said, facepalming. "You just pointed out the worst-kept secret in this school."

"Huh?"

"Literally everyone knows Minjae likes the class president, except the president himself."

Jungkook stared at me open-mouthed. "You mean Minjae's...?"

"Yeah. He gets really defensive if someone points it out, or even implies it." I cleared my throat. "You're lucky that his mom's friends with my mom, so he took me seriously. He could've done a lot of damage to this pretty face." I cooed.

"Awwwww, thanks buddy~" He sang, making the weirdest face I had ever seen, which made me laugh so hard I cried.

 

We entered the class like that, all laughter and smiles. Hyerin raised her eyebrows at us but said nothing.

"Bye, friend!" He squealed, and scooted away to his little group.

"Friend?" She asked me, after I had settled down.

"We called a truce." I explained happily. "We can still tease each other occasionally, as long as it's not like before."

"Hmm." She seemed to be thinking. "Now all you have to do is manage to add 'boy' in front of 'friend'~" She said, making a heart with her hand.

I stuck my tongue out her and hid my face in my hands, smiling like an idiot.