A Year

Do You See Me?

A year later, Jihye's POV:

I was graduating tomorrow. 

I trooped through the snow to the convenience store by our house. My mom had send me to get some party supplies, since my dad had insisted on throwing me a graduation party. My mom had refused, and for the first time, I agreed with her. I didn't want people I barely knew congratulating me for something as stupid as passing my exams. Oh well, might as well do what he says. I'll be off to college soon anyway.

I slowed down as I walked past Jungkook's house. It looked the same as it had a year ago, when I last saw him. I remember the look on his face when I had walked out of his room. I remember him screaming and yelling as I had left the house. I remember him running after me, calling out my name and crying hysterically. I remember hiding in the trees, holding back my own tears. I was an . I left him all alone, I ignored all of his calls and messages. Even if he did call me a failure, even if he was a jerk, he had a reason to be. I still couldn't forgive myself for cutting him off.

I wiped away stray tears that dripped from my eyes. It's been a year, but it feels like just yesterday we were standing in front of his house, laughing in each other's arms. 

I had listened to all of his songs. Well, not exactly his, since he was in a group. I felt proud whenever I heard someone talk about him, or praise him. He deserved it. He always worked so hard. My little Kookie, who was living his dream. 

A dream that I wasn't a part of anymore.

 

I entered the store, my eyes, nose and ears red. I dusted off snow from my coat and picked up a basket, examining the list that my dad had given me. Soda, tissues, plastic cups and plates, and balloons that said "Congratulations!" on them. I took off my beanie and scarf, looking around to see where the stuff was kept.

"Hm, buy one get one free." I looked at the flyer hung on the shelves. "Should get one of these sodas, I guess. Good deal."

As I weighed the different bottles to see which ones seemed heavier, I heard a group of guys screaming at the back of the store. I rolled my eyes. Why can't these idiots crawl back into the little ignorant bubble where they came from?

From the corner of my eye, I saw one of them wander into the aisle I was standing in. God, he just radiated idiocy. I should probably get out-

"Hyung!"

I froze.

"What is it, Tae?"

Taehyung was here. What the hell was he doing here? Wait, that meant-

"Tell Jungkook to come look at this! This coke bottle has his name on it!"

", , , , ." I cursed, turning around on my heels. However, I didn't notice the person standing beside me, and I accidentally hit him with the bottle of soda I held in my hand.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry." I whispered, not wanting to draw any attention to myself. The person hissed in pain, holding his shoulder, which I had probably dislocated. A blur of red hair shook before me, and my heart stopped.

"Jihye."

 

Jungkook's POV:

I had seen her enter the store. At first, I barely recognized her. Gone were the overgrown bangs, and the frizzy, unruly mop of shoulder length hair. It had been replaced by short, ear length brownish-orange locks. I stared at her in surprise. 

She had lost weight. Her chubby cheeks were almost non-existent, and her usually covered forehead was out in full display. I watched her as she took off her beanie, slicking her hair back. I couldn't believe she was standing in front of me. It had been a year since I had last seen her. A year since she had kissed me on my cheek and cried on my shoulder, only to leave and never talk to me again. A year since I had seen that crooked smile and those slightly asymmetrical eyes. 

A year since she had become a stranger.

My thoughts snapped back to what was going on in front of me. My shoulder was in immense pain, but I didn't care. Taehyung winked at me from the back.

"Jihye." I smiled. She stared at me in shock.

"You." She squeaked.

"Yep." I clutched my shoulder. "You look nice."

I heard people talk behind us, whispering about what just happened. She bit her lip and looked down. Fans of me, probably. I think she noticed that.

"Ah, thank you so much, oppa." Jihye forced a grin. My eyes widened. "I'm a huge fan."

"U-Uh..." I stuttered. "T-thank y-you."

With that, the girls behind us started squealing and ran up to me, asking me to sign their hands. Thankfully, there weren't too many. Jihye stood beside me, dead silent.

"Thank you for supporting us." I smiled mechanically. I had said this line about a million times. "Please continue to give us lots of love!"

They bowed and left, leaving the two of us alone again.

"The littlest things can ruin a rookie's career." Jihye spoke up.

I stifled a laugh. "...oppa?"

Her lips pursed together, flattening into a thin line. "Would you want me to call you 'idiot'?"

I sighed, smiling at her. "You haven't changed a bit."

"I guess." She shrugged.

"Doesn't the school mind that you dyed your hair?" I looked at her forehead, oddly missing her bangs.

"Not really." She said indifferently. "They can't be bothered, what with graduation being tomorrow and all."

"Oh yeah." I ran a hand through my hair. "I'm going to be there too."

"I see." She stared at me blankly. "Congratulations."

"Same to you." I shifted awkwardly. Things were still weird between us. Luckily, my group mates were there to help me out.

"So, Jungkook-" Jimin walked up to us. "Oh my god. Jihye!"

"Jiminie." She smiled as he hugged her. One by one, all of them came up to us and introduced themselves.

"So this is Jihye." Hoseok grinned, ruffling my hair. "Jungkook's told us a lot about you."

I discreetly stepped on his foot, making him wince in pain.

"Yeah, but he didn't tell us that you look fresh like a salad, so smooth." Namjoon stepped in, snaking an arm around her neck. "Do you want to get coffee sometime?"

"Isn't that a line from one of your songs?" Jihye laughed. "Why are you comparing me to a salad?"

He let go of her, cheeks turning pink. Jin patted him on his back, comforting him.

"Forgive everyone's weird behavior." Yoongi apologized. 

"It's ok." She waved her hand. I suddenly felt overcome with nostalgia of the night we fought.

"Say, Jihye." Tae cleared his throat. "Are you doing anything today?"

"Just shopping for my graduation party." She tucked her hair behind her ear. 

"Ooooh party!" Jimin chirped. "Can we come?"

"Jimin, be polite." Jin scolded him, making all of us laugh.

"Sure." Jihye smiled. "Um, you guys remember where my house is, right?"

"We don't, but I'm sure Jungkook does." Tae nudged me. I looked away, completely mortified. She coughed uncomfortably.

"We're all going out for lunch now." Yoongi announced. "Do you want to join us?"

"O-oh, I'm not sure..." She chuckled awkwardly.

"Please, Jihye?" Taehyung bounced over to her, tugging at her hand. "We have so much to catch up on, it'll be fun."

She looked at me hesitantly. I simply shrugged.

"Ah...alright, I'll come." She rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. Tae and Jimin cheered, and they all accompanied her as she bought whatever she needed from the store. Namjoon stuck back with me.

"Did you expect to see her here?" He asked me quietly.

"Not really." I sighed.

"She seems nice."

"Ha, yeah." I looked at her blow her hair off of her face. She used to always do that when she was irritated at me. "She's pretty nice."

Namjoon gave me an amused smile. 

"What?" I asked him. 

"Nothing." He chuckled. "Have you told Alice that we've reached?"

"Yep." I checked my phone, looking for any texts from her.

"You really like her, don't you?" 

"That shouldn't even be a question." I scoffed. 

"Yeah, sorry." He adjusted his snapback. It looked like the one I had given Jihye.

Eventually, he went ahead and joined the group. I trailed back, watching them laugh and have fun with Jihye. Something seemed off about her, though. She hadn't changed, not one bit, but something was different. It was that same feeling from the night I had seen her last. That uneasy, unfamiliar feeling. 

A notification lit up my phone, bringing up my screen-saver. It was a picture of Alice, from when she had dressed up in a chicken costume and Snapchatted me. It never failed to make me realize how much I adored her, and how happy she made me.

But for some reason, when I looked at it just now, I felt nothing. 

Nothing at all.

--

How many of y'all are dead bc of BTS's comeback?